"I don't know what we're doin' wrong!" Mrs. Timberlake agonized.

Patricia pretended to be folding up the laundry out back, but she was listening in closely through the screen door of the kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Timberlake were fuming still. It had been less than twenty-four hours since the incident. Justin had spent all of his time within the confines of his room. Patricia only saw him briefly when she brought him up breakfast. He didn't talk to her. He simply mumbled 'thank you' and kept his head down like he was ashamed. She wondered why he wouldn't talk to her like he normally would, but it wasn't something she brought up. Patricia wasn't much for confrontation and she figured if Justin didn't talk, he had a good enough reason not to.

It didn't help much that his mother had restricted him from anything that seemed fun. Television, phone calls, even going outside on the spring-like Saturday afternoon. He was probably depressed about his swollen face too. He looked something close to horrible, but even with his busted face, Patricia still found him to be adorable. Maybe because he always thanked her for his every meal, unlike his mother who'd complain about something being too cold, too hot, or too thick or wet. Justin only complained when it was 'too good' and nothing further. It made Patricia smile when she thought about it.

"Honey, he's a boy. He's gonna get a lil' scuffed up from time to time," Mr. Timberlake reasoned soothingly. Patricia could imagine him rubbing those circles on her back to calm her down, "We haven't done a thing to steer him in the wrong direction. He's a great student, on the baseball and football teams. He's sings in the church choir -"

"He quit last year," Mrs. Timberlake reminded him. "That's where it all went wrong. I knew I shoulda made him stick it out, but I just kept on supportin' his free lil' spirit and now he's goin' to jail!" Patricia giggled lightly to herself when Mrs. Timberlake let out a wail and sobbed. It was too funny. Justin loved choir, but quit to stop his friends from hasseling him about all the 'virgin church girls'. Patricia remembered some of the conversations she walked in on whenever he had company and she had to serve snacks as her mother entertained the adult guests downstairs. She used to love helping her mama during a Timberlake party. Everybody was so fancy in dresses and suits and she envied their rich beauty.

But she mostly liked the way Justin always asked her to assemble his bow tie because he never quite got the hang of it. She liked how he smiled and thanked her when she brought his friends drinks. She especially liked the way he'd smack one of his friends upside the head if they refused to offer the same politeness. Justin was always nice to her and it made it easier on her mother to have her come to work. Mrs. Timberlake could be nasty, but she saved her bravado for when nobody was around, but Justin seemed to be gravitationally inclined to Patricia. He was her safety spot and now, as she finished up the laundry folding, she intended to be his. He couldn't have been feeling good about himself with his mother forbidding him from seeing the light of day. Patricia would try and cheer him up somehow.

Patricia made her way back into the house, making sure to make enough noise at the door to give warning to the Timberlakes. "Patricia, be a dear and brew Lynn some tea please," Mr. Timberlake said, consoling his wife in his arms.

"Lemon and honey," Mrs. Timberlake sniffled against her husband's arm, "Not too much lemon though. You always put too much." Patricia grunted internally, but nodded and smiled.

"Not too much," she repeated, watching as Mr. Timberlake guided his wife from the kitchen. Patricia waited until she was definitely alone to roll her eyes. Too much lemon, indeed. "Impossible woman!" Patricia whispered harshly to herself, grabbing the kettle from the stove top and filling it with water by the sink. She made her way to the gas burners and turned the heat all the way up before placing the kettle on top of it. She grabbed the tea bags and sliced a lemon in half before grabbing Mrs. Timberlake's mug. She squeeze the citrus juice into the mug and added some sugar to it. Mrs. Timberlake always asked for honey, but liked so little of it in her tea that there was hardly a point, but Patricia added two drops to the mixture anyway.

As the water boiled, she began to dig through the cookie cabinet. Mrs. Timberlake would love some sweet crackers with her warm brew and Justin would love to be treated to some of her peanut butter almond cookies. Patricia grabbed a small bag full along with the crackers. She plated the crackers and placed the mug in the center of it. The water whistled and she turned it off and poured some into the cup. She stirred and then headed out to the living area. Mr. and Mrs. Timberlake were on the sofa, watching television quietly. Patricia placed the plate on the coffee table and left without a word. It was like she never walked in. Had her invisibility worked like that in school, she'd be a lot happier.

But alas, Patricia re-entered the kitchen, tucking the bag of peanut butter cookies under the pile of folded clothes. She smiled to herself as she slipped past the cozied Timberlakes. Patricia crept up the stairs carefully, scared to tumble back with her load of white clothes, being as clumsy as she is. She delivered the linens to the bathroom, the clothes of the parents were next, and then she finally had a small pile for Justin's room at the end of the hall. His door was closed and the dark wood of it matched the other doors.

Justin had his grandmother's rosary nailed up on the door. It was all he had left of her since she passed two years ago. Patty remembered how sad he was and it still broke her heart to remember him crying from the back porch swing when he thought nobody was around. Patty was just cleaning up after the wake when she heard him sobbing uncontrollably. She went to put out the trash that night, innocently enough, but ended up eavesdropping. He didn't stop at all, not until she found him sleeping on the cushions of the swing. She remembered crying for him, leaning against the frame of the kitchen door. Patricia knew all too well what it was like to lose someone you love.

"Knock, knock," Patricia said, knocking accordingly against the oak door. There was some shifting around before Justin cleared his throat.

"Come on in," he said softly. Patricia wearily turned the knob, balancing the basket on one side of her hip. She slowly crept inside of his room, taking in the baby blue walls and the numerous sports posters decorating them. Justin was sitting in the center of his bed, his back against his headboard and pillows, and a book in his hands. Patricia leant over a bit to catch a glimpse of the cover.

"Are you willingly readin' 'Othello'?" Patricia asked, amused. She made her way to his dresser, placing the basket on the top of it.

"It seems I've taken a likin' to Shakespeare," Justin said sheepishly, creasing the page to mark his spot as he shut his book. He placed it to his side and watched Patricia as she unloaded his clothes and organized his dresser. His face pinkened when she nonchalantly put away his underwear. It wasn't so much her being aware of his underwear that embarassed him, it was how much he liked the idea of her touching his underwear that made him blush.

"I'm glad to hear it," Patricia said, grabbing the peanut butter almond cookies from the bottom of the basket. She spun around beaming as she held out her goodies. "And now I guess you really do deserve a lil' sweetness, Mr. Timberlake." Justin's entire face lit up at the sight of his favorite cookies.

"Well, don't just stand there wavin' them 'round! Get over here and share 'em wit' me!" he gushed. Patricia giggled lightly and walked over to his bed. She stood beside it as she opened up the bag. Justin impatiently patted the empty spot on the edge of the bed beside him, scooting over just a bit. "Have a seat, girl." Patricia paused her movements, becoming slightly alarmed at the invitation.

"Oh no, I shouldn't," she declined, "I'm 'spose to be makin' dinner real soon anyway. I'll just take one to go."

"Dinner ain't necessary right now," Justin said, tapping the empty spot again, "Have a sit. I insist." Patricia looked up at his face, his swollen cheek and bandaged forehead. He was still smiling softly at her, as if to reassure her that it was fine to sit, but Patricia was stupidly scared. She had never been on a bed with a boy who wasn't her little brother. The thought of sitting on Justin's bed felt so wrong, even if they were just sharing some homemade cookies.

"I...I dunno," Patricia said uneasily, glancing back at his open door, "What if your mama walks in?"

"And sees us eatin' cookies?" Justin asked, amused by her terrified expression. "She's caught me doin' much worse on this bed, trust me." He laughed heartily and Patricia felt her stomach twist in a knot that almost pained her. She looked down at his bed and back at him. Patricia could scarcely remember some of the flings he had up in his room. There were two girls she could clearly see in her mind. They were both cheerleaders and Justin seemed to like the way they looked more than anything. Patricia remembered him going upstairs to study with them a lot, but she wasn't stupid enough to believe those brainless girls were up for studying.

"Well, now I really can't have a sit," Patricia said, "Here. Just take 'em. I'm gonna get dinner started." Justin looked down at her extended hand, which held the cookies, and then back at her. She looked angry and Justin thought she might've been jealous of his previous...encounters. It made his chest swell up.

"Aww, Patty..." he cooed gently, confusing her, "If I didn't know any better..."

"What in the name of Eve are you talkin' 'bout?" Patricia asked. Justin reached and yanked her arm, pulling her straight down to his bed. She tumbled clumsily on top of him as he cackled and groaned in pain when she slapped him all over his chest and arms. His bruises and cuts and sore muscles felt every touch through his thin sleeping shirt, but he found her displeasure to be hilarious. He forced her against his body, sitting up straight with her in his lap, caged in his arms until she calmed herself.

"Justin Randall, if you don't get your hands off me, I'mma make ya Collins' twin!" Patricia's threat fell heavily on his ears as Justin gasped a bit.

"How would you know what Collins looks like?" he asked, smiling brightly as if he already. Patricia shrugged a bit, staring off to the side at his bedroom door.

"When I heard it was your dumb self fightin', I had to go see..." she explained with a nonchalant tone. Justin snorted and smirked smugly.

"I knew I saw you," Justin said. He looked down at her, feeling the warmth of her body as he continued to squish her against him. "I looked up and I saw ya runnin' off, but I didn't wanna call ya and get you in trouble..." He was beaming, but she seemed uncomfortable being close to him.

Patricia looked down his neck and took in the veins and the adam's apple that coated his throat. His collar bones and the defined beginnings of his chest showed through the open 'v' of his sleep shirt. She swallowed, never once having seen the body of a man this close and never once wanting to run her hands all over the body of a man so much.

"What was you fightin' for anyway?" Patricia asked, getting annoyed that he could do something so stupid. "Are you really goin' to jail now?" Her face crumpled with disapproval and Justin burst out laughing, his chest moving against her body as he did.

"Patty, stop listenin' to my mama," he smirked, "I ain't goin' to jail no way. Collins threw the first punch tryin' to show off. That ass whoopin' served him right."

"I didn't even recognize you," Patty said softly, shaking her head at the violent images, "You looked so angry and then he called you a -" She sighed, not being able to bring herself to say it. Justin's actions now compared to his reaction during the fight were two different things. He was so angry to be publicly known as a lover of blacks, but he was holding Patricia now like it was nothing.

"Collins' an ass," Justin said, his smile flattering, "Don't let him upset you."

"It's not me he upset," Patricia told him, leaning back a bit to meet his eyes, "You on the other hand..." Justin shrugged, confused.

"Why wouldn't I be upset?" he scoffed, "He called me a 'nigger lover'. That ain't right." Patricia straightened up a bit, her stomach tightening.

"I guess I'd be mad too if I were you," Patty felt herself getting disappointed. It was a lot harder to have him confirm his distaste for black people with her wrapped up in his arms. She was confused and now upset. "I have to go make dinner."

She tried to get out of his grasp, but to no avail. "Now, hold up just a minute," Justin said, catching on to the pained look on her face, "I wasn't mad 'cause of what you're thinkin'."

"And what am I thinkin'?" Patricia snapped, getting annoyed with his grip on her.

"Miss. Hurley, you're a damn fool if ya think for one minute I care about what people say about me," he said gently, "I don't see color and I don't care much for people that make fun of me for it. I'm not ashamed of who I like to be around or talk to or hold..." Patty felt the butterflies in her gut when he stared down at her intensely. It was like she was the only person he was referring to.

"Then what were you fightin' for?" she asked softly, "Why were you so mad?" Justin's eyes softened as his cheeks flared up instantly.

"Well...I had asked him nicely to leave ya alone," he began, "I told him you worked for my parents and you can't keep comin' late 'cause he felt like bein' an ass. Naturally, he told me to mind my business and I told him you were my business. Then he starts callin' me a nig-" Justin saw her wincing for the word. Patricia wasn't a fan and he didn't like it much either. "Well, ya know what he called me and I didn't care. I walked away and told him to just quit while he was ahead, but Collins has to be a show off and starts hollerin' 'bout you bein' my girlfriend or somethin'..." Patricia felt her own cheeks flare.

"Why'd he say that?" she asked nervously. Justin shrugged a bit.

"I guess 'cause I told him to leave you alone," he smiled shyly, "I didn't care that he thought that. I even told him you were my girl and so he better stop messin' with ya..." Patricia laughed before she could stop herself. She could practically see Collins face when Justin said that.

"Why on earth would you do that for?" Patricia smiled as Justin chuckled a bit.

"None of them believed me, they all just laughed. Everybody was over it, but Collins started talkin' a bunch crap about you and..." Justin seemed to get angry in the moment all over again as he looked away and thought back.

"Nothin' I never heard before, I'm sure," Patricia tried to soothe, "Did he say my hair was nappy and I was darker than night? Was my Daddy an alcoholic again?" She rolled her eyes, but everything she said had hurt to say and still hurt to hear.

"I don't care if he said things like that a million times before," Justin stated, bringing his angered eyes back to her, "It don't make it right, Patty. And he's a yellow-bellied dog for pickin' with a girl anyway. Why not one of the black guys? I'll tell ya why - 'cause he's scared. He knew you didn't have a boyfriend or nothin' to stand up for you. He thought he could say whatever he wanted and nobody would fight for ya, but I sure as hell proved him wrong." Patricia started to see that same predatory anger throughout his expression and she hesitantly raised her face a bit. Her heart pounded as she placed a tiny kiss against his cheek. Justin's eyes instantly softened as he looked over her face. She was bashfully staring at her lap in a flash, unable to hold the contact.

"Thank you..." she said, "I don't like fightin', but I never had anybody stand up for me... I mean, Penny has, but ya know...not fightin' and riskin' so much for me. I really wasn't worth it, Justin. I hope you're not in too much trouble."

"I don't care how much trouble I'm in," Justin said, "I'd do it again, Patty. I wouldn't have to think about it." His soft voice held so much sincerity that Patricia had to look up and smile. Her stomach was so knotted up with good feelings for Justin. He was an honorable boy who fought for her. It was all too much for her to absorb.

"I will never understand you," she said, laughing lightly and looking away again. She was never good with eye contact.

"You will, someday," Justin assured, reaching up to caress along the length of her jaw with his knuckles. Patricia looked up at him as he did so. He didn't seem nervous at all. He looked so comfortable and all Patricia could think about was his mother barrelling through the door like an enraged bull. She'd probably shoot Patricia and then make Justin bury her in the backyard.

"Justin..." Her voice was trembling and she felt her heart beating in her ears. Justin's breathing was deeper now that she had spoken and she felt his chest moving against hers. She didn't know where to put her hands, so they stayed awkwardly against the mattress between his legs. Patricia's face heated up when she realized how close she was to his most private part. "I think I should get goin'-"

"I like the way you smell," Justin admitted suddenly, overwhelmed by her closeness. He didn't care that his face was probably turning into a cherry red from embarassment. Everything he said and did made him feel so vulnerable and idiotic, but he felt like he had to say it. He had to tell her in this moment because he didn't know if this would ever happen again. He leant down a little closer and Patricia was stiff when he breathed in the scent of her hair. "It's like... coconut and peppermint or somethin'..." he chuckled to himself. "Sweet and minty."

"My mama...she...um... puts this... s-stuff in my hair. I guess it's like a...hairdressin'. Like hair grease or somethin'. But you're a boy, so I guess it don't matter to ya no way..." Patricia said, lightly laughing to herself, "Anyway, she said she got it from her mama, who got it from her, who got it from her mama... I'm 'spose to get it eventually, I guess... I'll be eighteen soon, so I'm hopin' that's my present..." Patricia was staring at his collar bones as she spoke, afraid to move as he took in her scent. Her rambling was a direct result of her nervousness.

"Mmm..." Justin sighed in content, taking another breath. Patricia closed her eyes at the sound. It made her feel weird to hear him sound like that. "I like it..."

"Thanks," she said softly. Justin hugged her closer when she tried to subtly escape his grasp, forcing her to shift forward. She tried to move without touching him, but her cheek ended up against the base of his neck and her arm moved to hang around his waist, pressed against the mattress to help support her weight. He had taken her other arm and she watched as he lifted her wrist to his nose. Her breathing hitched when he delicately brushed his nose over her pulse, taking in her scent. Patricia's heart was pounding so loudly that she was sure he heard it. She felt so out of place, but completely relaxed. It felt new and nice and warm.

Justin's eyes had closed when he breathed her in, but they opened as he brought her palm to his lips, kissing it gently. Patricia shivered when his moist, soft mouth caressed her skin.

"Don't ever doubt your worth, Patricia," Justin whispered against her hand before running her hand along his jaw, "'Specially when it comes to me." Patricia just nodded, staring at him, completely mesmerized. He closed his eyes as he skimmed her hand along his beet red cheek. She wish she knew what to do. She wished she wasn't shaking so much that she was embarassed that he could probably feel it. Patricia didn't know how to be close and affectionate with a boy, but she never wanted to know so badly before. Justin, however, seemed so perfectly content. So at ease with this intimacy. If it wasn't for the tint his cheeks, Patricia would think it was too easy. She was still so nervous she could barely stand it. She was completely incompetent when it came to boys, but white boys left her even more clueless. Patricia barely understood white people in general. She usually had three basic feelings around them: anger, sadness, and fearfulness. Justin was the only one who was different, but it didn't change anything.

He might not care about society, but Patty, for one, most certainly did. She couldn't like Justin. They couldn't sniff each other and hold one another. They couldn't even eat peanut butter almond cookies together. People didn't just talk and call names; they beat and kill those who don't follow the rules. Patty knew that better than anybody and yet, she couldn't stop her heart from pounding. She couldn't let the dangers lurking in the future keep her from noticing how beautifully curled his hair was or how cute his rosey cheeks were. And even if she didn't know what to do with his body, she couldn't stop herself from noticing how warm and nice it felt. Looking at him did weird things to her and her pulse, and she couldn't help that either.

Justin, experienced as he may be, had never felt this comfortable with a girl before. He always wanted to have Patty close, but they were always so awkward when it came to being physical. He knew she was aware of their racial differences and he feared his white culture made her distrusting of him. Justin sometimes thought she was just not attracted to him. The black girls at school never once looked at the white boys. He heard they thought they were weak and sensitive and just plain boring. Not to mention racist bigots who were spoiled rotten and unfairly rich.

Those rumors had held him back, but he saw how much Patty laughed at his jokes and took time out of her day to help him. He figured she at least liked him that much, so what could a little contact do to hurt them? He hadn't expected her to be this soothing. He was feeling a lot more than he had bargained for as he leant his head down and pressed his cheek against her forehead. She didn't move her face from his neck as she closed her eyes. Justin laced his fingers through hers, bringing their hands between their pressed bodies. His heart felt so full as he nuzzled his cheek against her head and her soft breath tickled along his neck where she rested. This felt more intimate than anything to him. Just holding her like this was far more amazing than rolling around in a bed with a nameless girl from school.

"Justin!" The shout from up the hall sent Justin and Patricia flying. They reluctantly ripped apart as footsteps approached. Patricia took her place by the forgotten laundry basket as Justin tucked the cookies beneath his pillow.

"I'm in my room, Mama!" Justin shouted back. He leant over a bit to see his mother coming up the hall from her bedroom. She held two dresses in her hands, beaming. It took everything in him not to roll his eyes.

"Well, I needed an opinion before I showed your father -" she began as she appeared in the room, but Justin had glanced over to his corner dresser to find Patricia. His mother followed his gaze and she glowered when Patricia smiled shyly at the floor. "What are you doin' in my boy's room?" Patricia's shy smile flattered as she finally acknowledged Mrs. Timberlake's existence. Justin groaned.

"Mama..." he pleaded, annoyed. His mother didn't even acknowledge him.

"I was just..." Patricia began, already panicking. She glanced quickly at Justin, silently begging for an out.

"She was just puttin' away laundry, Ma," he assured, "Now you want my opinion, you said?" He pretended to be interested in both gowns. One was cream colored and sparkled with crystal designs. The other was a simple black dress that reached the floor with a tiny train.

"Yes..." Mrs. Timberlake said, slowly removing her gaze from Patricia to her son. Her smile was back on. "I mean, they're both new and your daddy hasn't seen 'em yet." Justin was so used to his mother's constant badgering about what to wear or buy or eat. He sometimes thought she forgot he was a boy and could care less about the feminine things she talked about. But Justin couldn't lie; after so many years together, Justin had to admit that his mother's interest in pleasing his father was somewhat adorable. Most couples would be over impressing each other, but his mother was always going out of her way and worrying.

"Well then, Mama, Daddy is a simple man, so go with the simple dress," Justin said smoothly, "Black."

"That's what I was thinkin'!" His mother beamed, leaning down to kiss his cheek briefly, "I'mma go put it on."

"With pearls?" Justin suggested, just to offer her a little more happiness. His mother was overjoyed with his opinion.

"That's a fine idea!" she agreed, She scurried from the room and Justin rolled his eyes. He rolled them right in Patricia's direction, smiling softly when he watched her rigid body relax.

"That's cute," Patricia voiced, "She's terribly mean, but she loves your daddy." Justin made a gagging noise that made Patricia giggle.

"My mother loves his wallet maybe," he joked, knowing full well his parents loved one another. "I guess I do kinda want what they have. They were happy about the play tickets. I'm just happy to have the whole night alone here."

"I'm happy I only have to make dinner for one," Patricia sighed in relief. Justin raised a brow comically.

"Aren't you stayin'?" he asked. Patricia shrugged a bit.

"Was I 'spose to?" she inquired, placing her hand on her hip like she was challenging the idea.

"I've got an English exam," he told her sheepishly. "I was kinda hopin' we'd study." Patricia felt her belly ache a bit when he looked at her over his eyelashes, playing with his fingers like an adorable five year old. How could she possibly say no to that face?

"Sure," Patricia said as he looked her over. Her face warmed as the butterflies continued their battle in her stomach. She needed to leave to compose herself. "I'm gonna get dinner ready. Get your books together. When your parents leave, we'll study downstairs."

"I'm not allowed to leave my room," Justin smiled a bit, "We'll have to stay up here." Patricia thought her head was going to explode when she thought he was hinting something inappropriate.

"Well, you aren't allowed to do a lot of things, Justin," she said, "It never stopped you before, so don't get all proper now."

"Alright, alright," he surrendered. Patricia bit her bottom lip to hold back her smile when he pouted fiercely. She shook her head. Did he really want to hold her again that badly? Patricia didn't stop to think about it too long; it made her giddy when she thought about it, so she decided to head downstairs and focus on making supper without another word. The parents would be gone by the time dinner was ready. Justin and her would have ample time to study before she'd leave for the night.

Patricia had never been more excited to study in her entire life.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: interracial prejudice