From: jrandall81@zmail.com

To: rbennington@talk.com

Subject: Hi

 

Hey Reese,

 

Remember how we used to e-mail each other all the time? Why’d we stop?

 

Been trying to call but you’re forever busy and shit’s too long for texts, so figured I’d give this a whirl. Just wanted to check up on you and see if you’re okay – Trace mentioned what happened but he didn’t say much. Not sure if he’s being discreet for once in his life or you haven’t felt like talking. I understand if in the situation you don’t want to, but if you do then I’m here. Promise I’ll sound sympathetic in all the right places and be ready to cuss about anyone who pissed you off.

 

Not a lot going on with me – prepping for some club shows on the East Coast, I fly out in two days. Nothing major, just me and the band so no choreography, but I wanted to work out a couple of covers so we’re in rehearsal. Don’t know what your plans are over the next couple of weeks but if you want a vacation let me know and I’ll fix for you and T to come out.

 

Speak soon,

JT x

 

**

 

From: rbennington@talk.com

To: jrandall81@zmail.com

Subject: Re: Hi

 

Hi,

 

So sorry it took me this long to reply, been mega busy.

 

We stopped e-mailing because I moved to the same time zone and you no longer had to fear my wrath if you got it wrong and accidentally called at 3am. And also because it’s no longer 1999 when that was cool.

 

Things are… umm… yeah! Don’t have much time to write, but keep the cussing prepped and I’ll give you a call at some point (when I’m not on permanent hold to idiot companies who don’t understand that you need to cancel because you don’t fucking live there any more). 

 

But hey, covers, you know I like when you do those. Doubt I can get away, as soon as I tie up all this stuff with Drake I need to start fixing the move, but I hope it goes good.

 

Reese

 

**

 

From: jrandall81@zmail.com

To: rbennington@talk.com

Subject: Re: Hi

 

That’s fine, you can leave me hanging for several days, I don’t mind.

 

Sounds like you’re having some fun (not), do you need a hand with the move? I know people. Please don’t read that in some tone that makes me sound like a bad mafia movie.

 

JT x

 

**

 

From: jrandall81@zmail.com

To: rbennington@talk.com

Subject: Re: Hi

 

Hi,

 

Okay, so when I said you could leave me hanging for several days? That was a joke. You weren’t supposed to take me literally!

 

Wasn’t going to resort to e-mail again (you’re right, way too ’99), but thought of you today and once again I got the busy tone of doom when I called. You really weren’t kidding about things being crazy. Just wanted to tell you that I’m in NY, and I finally stumbled back across that bakery we could never find again!  You know, the one with the crazy psychedelic sign out front? Had the presence of mind to save the address this time, can confirm that the pastries still rock as much as we remembered.

 

Let me know you’re okay. I’m a little worried that my inability to get hold of you means you’ve beaten yourself to death with the phone after one too many calls to the cable company.

 

Love, JT x

 

**

 

From: rbennington@talk.com

To: jrandall81@zmail.com

Subject: Re: Hi

 

So you can’t see me but I’m wearing my most penitent face!

 

Sorry, I really have kept meaning to call you or at least reply to this but things have been kind of shitty. I felt crappy as it was anyway, but it’s just been one never ending parade of calls and forms and trying to deal with all the leftover shit from the wedding and the house. I have about a zillion unanswered texts and voicemails and some are probably yours, I’m really sorry!

 

I finally have some time to myself (I’m staying at Dean’s) so figured I might as well write all this out now and fill you in while I have some peace and quiet. I was going to call but I’m kind of sick of the sound of my own voice, so figured I’d write. If it gets long, please at least try to make it through to the end!

 

Though before I start, that is friggin’ awesome about the bakery. I still dream about that blueberry éclair – genius!

 

So… I hate to say it, but you were right. Drake would’ve been unhappy moving to LA and I would’ve been unhappy staying. Just kind of hit me finally while we were in the car on the way to the church, and something my dad said made it hit home. I’ll assume Trace told you what I said to him about it, but I then had to break up with Drake while we were both standing there in our wedding outfits. I was really upset, he was really angry with me, and it’s all kind of gone downhill from there.

 

It’s been embarrassing as all hell. The way people look at me when they see me in town or they suddenly start whispering is just crazy. It’s like being you, only without the millions in compensation.

 

I’ve just been feeling really guilty all the time, like I set him up for a fall he didn’t deserve. He’s so pissed with me that whenever we have to talk about anything to do with the house he’s really sullen. He doesn’t say much; I hate that, it’s so unlike him. It’s making the practical stuff that much harder because he’s defensive and doesn’t want to co-operate. I know I brought that on myself, but it’s why everything’s dragging on so long. Way too much stuff in our joint names so separating it back out is taking forever. That’s why you can never get me on the phone, because I spend my life on hold or being told I’ve come through to the wrong department and they’ll transfer me.

 

It’s  almost like he thinks I want to go back to LA for some kind of celebrity lifestyle or something and I’m looking down my nose at Shelby and him. I keep telling him he’s being ridiculous, but I think he just wants something to blame.

 

I’ve been staying at Dean’s. It’s fun but I’ve reached saturation point; little people are exhausting. Hopefully though I can finally get to work on actual move stuff in the next couple of days. Once I can actually do that I think it’ll only be a couple of weeks. Trace said he’s happy to have me crash for a little bit so that saves me needing to find a place right away.

 

So… yeah, that’s pretty much everything going on with me right now. Just a lot of financial shit and trying to come to terms with my screw up! What about you, how did your shows go? What covers did you do? I’ll let you know when I finally have a move date and then the three of us can arrange my welcome back (I’m thinking couch, beer and pizza).

 

Reese x

 

P.S. Not to make you jealous, but your grandma made pineapple cake and your mom gave me some. I’m pretty sure it was pity pineapple cake, but I don’t care. Your people rock.

 

**

 

From: jrandall81@zmail.com

To: rbennington@talk.com

Subject: Re: Hi

 

Hey peanut,

 

I did make it through to the end - nice that my efforts were rewarded with news of Granny’s betrayal. She is not supposed to make that cake without me. I am insanely jealous, but I suppose I got the bakery so we’re even.

 

Wish there was something I could do or say to make this better, but you just have to kind of ride it out. I think at least once you get out to LA it’ll give you some distance. It’s probably being stuck there still dealing with all that crap keeping it fresh. I am totally in for pizza and beer and I will even volunteer my own couch for it. (Feel privileged, when it’s Trace I invite myself to his place so I don’t have to clean shit. For you I will vacuum).

 

For what it’s worth, I really think you did the right thing. It’s not being snooty about Shelby or any dumb shit like that; it’s just being suited to different things. If he can’t see that it’s his problem not yours, you did the best thing. Though… and I can’t believe I’m saying this… don’t think too badly of the dude over the being bitchy thing. You’re hard to lose and it’s tough going. He seems like a decent-ish guy so I don’t think he’ll take as long as some people to get his head out of his ass.

 

You could imply that as me admitting I had my head up my ass. I can’t confirm or deny.  

 

Shows went well, covers I did were Poison (the Alice Cooper one – surprised the hell out of people, loved it) and Careless Whisper. Glad to be done though, it was a fun diversion but I definitely need to look at some scripts next. I’m back in LA in a couple of days so we’ll see what comes up.

 

Call me soon,

JT x

 

**

 

From: rbennington@talk.com

To: jrandall81@zmail.com, ayalat@zmail.com

Subject: IT’S ON…

 

One Reese Bennington coming your way next Friday! The temp agency got me a placement starting on  the Monday after so I’ll have the weekend to settle in. Pizza and beer Saturday? Gives JT plenty of time to vacuum.

 

Love Reese x

 

P.S. Trace, I know it’s probably beyond you to actually make up the guest bed but at least make sure there are some clean sheets ready to go, alright?

Chapter End Notes:
So I was remembering the good ol' days and all the stuff we used to see in practically every fan fic - like just reproducing e-mail conversations. Made me smile, had to do this lol


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story