Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Not all Rain Reaches the Surface

April 15, 2007- Spring in Springfield, Illinois

April. The month of daisies, sweet peas, and never-ending rain showers. Continuously, those offensive raindrops descend upon innocent pedestrians, soaking them into a solemn mood as grim as the cloudy grey skies. Today, on the 15th of April, Justin Randall Timberlake happened to be among them, physically at least. However, his spirit was elsewhere. He liked to think that it was someplace, floating around the heavens, with the spirit of his love.

He had met Kennedy Gabrielle Brooks just about a year ago at a local spot, The Stadium Bar & Grill, where he often went. He always anticipated the usual regulars, average newcomers, and unwanted guests. That’s until the unexpected arrived in the form of a woman. Not just any woman; a woman who was wearing an unflattering ankle-length navy trench coat, a hat meant for the winter months but worn that night in the spring, and a pair of exaggeratingly dark shades.

He had found her attire odd for a bar. In fact, he deemed her choice of attire justifiably odd for a woman, but either way he was still instantly attracted to her. It was more the sense of mystery she seemed to exude rather than her actual looks.

Still, his curious gaze had followed her every move as she found a seat in a secluded booth in the back. When she lifted her hand to signal for a waitress, his attention was drawn to the gold bracelet gleaming on her wrist with the letter “k” dangling from the chain. As a private detective for the organized crime division for the state of Illinois, Justin was used to noticing the minor details of a person, like a gold bracelet.

He lived and breathed the life of gathering facts and collecting evidence against criminals. Over the last five years, he had conducted several interviews, examined records, and participated in dangerous arrests. Still, as dangerous as it was, he thrived on being able to know the truth about someone after only a quick perusal. Therefore, he had studied her appearance like a detective hunting down a hardcore criminal.

He had imagined a devastating pair of smoky brown orbs hidden behind the dark glasses and more smooth skin the color of rich mahogany beneath that unsightly coat. He had wondered why she dressed so unattractively. It only prompted inquisitive stares, especially his.

He had been watching her every move from the moment she had walked in until she seemed to disappear when he suddenly blinked. “Where is that woman?” He had asked himself before she reappeared right behind him, up close and personal.

“Are you looking for me?” More than just a little surprised, he had turned to her and promptly slammed into a lovely set of soft breasts. The assault had been overwhelming. Her body had filled his arms, soft and warm. Her delicate perfume had consumed his senses as her cheek bumped into his chin. From that moment on, he was hooked. She was like an addiction; a case he couldn’t put down until it was solved. And he had solved the mystery of her true appearance when he ended up at her apartment that same night.

She had removed her glasses and revealed smoky brown orbs. She had removed her coat and revealed herself nude covered in mahogany skin. They had never made it to her bedroom.

Much later, three months to be exact, she confessed that she went to the bar purposely looking for a man. Her friends had complained that she had no social life outside of work and that she needed to have fun. And to them, fun meant getting a man, a spontaneous man whom she could have a thrilling passionate affair with. And what a thrill it had been for the both of them.

Their relationship had started out casual, but quite physical as they fell into a long-term passion-filled romance. Surprisingly, that budding romance had lasted nearly a year before the thrill had worn off in a horrible form.

The horrific storm seemed to sweep into the unprepared city out of nowhere, damaging everything in sight. He had been in the basement working on a case when he swore he heard the windows explode.

Rushing for the staircase, he remembered that he had left Kennedy upstairs. When he made it to the second floor, an oversized tree had caved in the roof. Justin’s eyes widened in horror as he was nearly blown away by the fury gusts of the winds. His fingers clawed the basement door.

“Oh my God, Kennedy!” He called out only to receive no response. His breath quickened and fluttered in his chest. “Kennedy!”

He looked around, panic rising in his throat. The more he looked around, the more devastation he saw. There were cracked branches and discarded leaves settling in the living room. The old house was shredded and exposed. Furniture was damaged beyond repair. Yet, no sign of Kennedy. A sickening wave of fear lurched from the pits of his stomach as liquid emotions settled in his eyes.

“Kennedy!” His screams were frantic and carrying in the wind as he struggled to exit the house with his boots scraping at the ground. Again, he called out for the woman he loved one more time and swore he heard something.

“Over here!” The voice screamed.

“Kennedy?” Justin turned around and there was a man drenched to the bone in a white t-shirt and denim pants running towards him.

“Justin-Kennedy-she-” The man could barely catch his breath and Justin could barely hear him over the whirling winds.

“Kennedy? You’ve seen her. Oh God, please tell me that you’ve seen her!” His hands grasped the man shoulders and began shaking him, hard.

“Kennedy.” He sighed. “The fire department found her car…” Justin sighed then too and freed the man. “…in the river.”

What!” Justin braced himself against the railing. His body was so rigid with shock that not even the blustery winds could push him.

“It seems she lost control of her car. We weren’t able to find her body.” Justin’s lashes closed over his cobalt eyes and a stream of tears followed.

He had mourned her death for weeks, living in complete solitude, struggling to understand why she had to die in that storm, why she had been taken from him so soon. But to the outside world he had appeared to be a man without grief, a man that to everyone was perfect.

He clenched his fist in memory. His life wasn’t supposed to be this way. He wasn’t supposed to live a life of constant misery. He had finally found someone made especially for him only to have her washed away in the river as if it all had been meaningless.

If given the chance, he would’ve told Kennedy he loved her for the first time. Then he would’ve asked her to marry him. Instead, he was visiting her grave to leave flowers over her headstone after she had been dead for seven months.

However, even in the midst of his pain, he was still able to force a smile. If she were here now she would give him a teasing grin meant to entice before leading him into several rounds of spontaneous lovemaking. His eyes closed and he imagined that she was standing in front of him nude, her skin glimmering with a seductive glow. Those were some of the best moments between the two of them, moments where he expressed his love in more than the physical sense.

My Love. The inscription embedded on her headstone halted any further pleasant memories as he fought the urge to cry. Life was certainly unfair.

“What the hell are you doing here moping over this bitch? She’s dead and gone, be happy.” Surely, he was hearing things, Justin thought as he whirled in the direction of the voice.

“I know I am.” The intruder finally chuckled wickedly.

“Robert.” Justin seethed through clenched teeth as he sent him a scathing glare.

“She was nothing but a criminal and you didn’t do your job of turning her in, but we don’t have to worry about that now.” He glanced briefly at the headstone, a wry smile marring his features.

Robert Gavin worked in the same crime division as Justin. They were both investigating the case of Lucien “Lucky” Cristof vs. The state of Illinois. Lucien Cristof was well known as one of the most notorious individuals of all the criminal societies. His criminal activities involved kidnapping, illegal drugs and trafficking, political corruption, and allegedly murder. He had only been successful and unattainable for so long because he received outside help from so-called trustworthy organizations and people. Kennedy was supposedly one of those people according to his boss, and Robert.

They alleged that she specialized in aiding fugitives in skipping out of the country as well as participating in some of the illegal activity. When Justin was given the case, he had already been dating Kennedy for two months. He had never even looked at one item from the case file.

It could be blamed on his intense feelings for her, but he could never believe that to be true. Besides her strange choice of dress, there was nothing else out of the ordinary about her, which is why he was about to kill Robert for disrespecting her, at her gravesite no less.

Justin growled and hurled toward Robert, prepared to choke him to death, only he had never gotten the chance. As soon as Justin was close enough, Robert rammed his fist into Justin’s stomach, and once Justin fell to the ground, stomped his foot to his back to keep him there.

Coughing rather than succumbing to the pain, Justin locked his arms around Robert’s legs and tugged him to the ground. The fall was as hard as the back of his head smacking against the gravel. Justin never took pride in Robert’s groans of pain; instead, he willingly pounded his body so that he would never let the feel of pain subside. He would feel the kind of heart wrenching pain that he experienced each time he visited Kennedy’s grave.

“You didn’t know her you son of a bitch! Y’all didn’t know what kind of person she was!” He was about to connect his fist to Robert’s jaw until his arm was grasped in mid-air and he was yanked off Robert. Before a kick landed to his stomach, he noticed another coworker of his, Bryant Lindale. Justin moaned and rolled away from the attack. Still, once Robert got to his feet, he and Bryant took turns. They seemed to be playing a game of who could kick and punch Justin the hardest. When it seemed as if Justin had had enough, they stood back to watch their handiwork.

“What should we do with this traitor? Should we bury him alive, right next to his ‘ol bitch ass girlfriend?” Robert asked, wiping the trickling blood from his bottom lip.

“No leave him here. Let’s go.” They walked to their respective cars.

Hearing the sounds of screeching tires, Justin rolled onto his back. He coughed several times until he was able to lift his head. He stared at Kennedy’s grave again. Then dropped his head back. Watching the heavenly skies, he yielded to the pain, feeling as if he wanted to die.

~*~*~*~*~

Dressed in a stolen name tag and jacket, the mysterious form perused the halls of the hospital searching for a particular room.

The figure hesitated just outside room 513, not expecting to find several people posted there. This bit of news didn’t sit well, but the plans had to be carried out. Time was of the essence. The doctor slowly opened the door and went in.

Once the door closed, the lone figure rushed quickly across the room to the hospital bed to where Justin lay.

“I see you made it to the hospital.” The voice said reaching into the pocket of the sterile white jacket for an object before shrugging it off.

“I hate the smell of hospitals.” The voice whispered in disdain, lifting to spray the bottle of fragrance to eliminate the stench.

Justin’s eyes fluttered as the smell assaulted his senses. It was a familiar blend of coconut and vanilla musk that was imprinted in his brain. It was a scent that he remembered well, but it was too long ago to be absolutely sure. There was something about the mixture of scents that was sexy and erotic, sweet and innocent, and sultry and mysterious. He breathed in the scent allowing it to take over his body.

Once the fog cleared from his mind, his eyes focused on the figure before him. Justin inhaled a large portion of air before he started choking.

"I'm guessing that you're not happy to see me."

His eyes bulged out of its sockets as he scrambled into a sitting position, despite the burning pain of his bruised ribs. He began to struggle with a sudden shortness of breath and his olive skin tone had immediately turned a whiter shade of pale.

“I must be dead.” He was afraid to look again; for fear that he would see nothing but blackness around him.

“No you’re not and neither am I.”

“How…” A lump clogged in his throat, as he desperately wanted to believe that she was there in the flesh. Tears stung the back of his eyes as he struggled to remain collected. The past seven months flashed by vividly in a blur.

The woman Justin thought he'd lost forever was standing before him. His mouth fell open and his cobalt gaze widened as he watched the incredible scene.

God, was he dreaming? Was he seeing a ghost? He closed his eyes momentarily. No, Kennedy was still there, standing less than five feet away and seemed to be very much alive.

He finally squeezed his eyes shut tightly and prayed for an end to the cruel joke. When he opened them, he saw that the mahogany beauty was still there.

“Kennedy?” He whispered hoarsely, stretching out his hand to reach for her. “Is it really you?”

“Yeah.

The beeping of the heart monitor steadied at the realization, and then suddenly accelerated into a chaotic frenzy. “Where the hell have you been Kennedy?” He didn’t have the strength to yell, but it was clear that he was furious.

He watched her glanced at her watch and remain silent to his question. Then finally she looked up at him with watery eyes and a guilty conscience. “I’m sorry I have to go.” She replaced the white lab jacket over her infamous navy trench coat and quickly pushed through the hospital doors.

Justin watched in horror as she abruptly left. Suddenly delirious, Justin began ripping the tubes from his body as carefully as possible. He hurled the hospital gown across the room and replaced it with his blood stained clothing. Despite his bruises he was able to walk out the room quick and unseen. The hospital was bustling with so many ER patients that Justin was able to slip out easily; which meant that Kennedy had a much easier time.

Stumbling to the main entrance, he spotted a blur in a trench coat. He could never erase that trench coat from his mind even if he tried to. He walked cautiously and slowly into the lobby, increasing his steps as she ran into the pouring rain.

He called her name as loud as he could, but just as she seemed indifferent to the rain drops striking her face, she seemed not to hear him. The air was thick with the scent of rain as he was immediately pelted with raindrops the size of quarters.

Tears of pain rolled down his cheeks; tears from the bruises on his body and his heart. He watched her put the car in drive and prepared to drive away as the pounding of his heart rang loudly in his ears.

“Kennedy!” To his own ears, his voice sounded piercing, but to no avail, she still didn’t respond. Out of breath and energy, Justin fell to the ground.

Kennedy watched in slow motion through her rear view window as Justin drifted to the ground. Her heart halted in her chest at the sight and she quickly put the car in reverse. The car stalled as she jammed it into park and got out.

“Justin what is wrong with you!” She bent low to grab hold of his forearms and drag him to the passenger side. The hem of her trench coat tracked large amounts of gravel and water into the interior of the car as she propped him against the seat. She rushed over to the driver’s side, crying uncontrollably. The tears blurred her vision as she turned to him.

“Justin, are you trying to die tonight!”

“Oh, die like you were supposed to.” He seethed, spitting out blood. “Why the fuck did you leave me? Do you know what I went through thinking you were dead?”

“I’m sorry!” Kennedy cried.

The first bullet hit the glass window behind her, shattering it and making them scramble for cover. Her adrenaline pumping, Kennedy hit the accelerator.

“What the-was that meant for us?” Justin asked ducking down, his face inches away from the dashboard.

“I think so.” Another shot rang out, followed by another, and then another, which dented the body of her Hyundai. Justin instinctively covered his head.

“Why are they shooting at us!” He screamed over the loud noise of the shooting bullets and roaring engine.

“Actually, they’re only shooting at me. You’re a minor adjustment.” He noticed that her voice was laced with absurd sarcasm.

“Kennedy, damnit be serious.” He demanded prior to glancing in the side view mirror only to see that someone was following them. “They’re behind us!”

Kennedy looked in her left mirror. “Shit!” She stomped on the gas and headed up the hill.

“Who is it?” Justin croaked, while holding his palms tightly against his ribs as his body bounced with every bump and sharp turn.

“Your good friends Gavin and Lindale.”

“What?” Kennedy challenged a curve on what had to be two wheels, and Justin felt his seat belt, which he was glad to have, snap him back against his seat. “Why are they after you?”

“They want to kill me, for real this time…Damnit!” She jumped when her side mirror was shot out and leaned towards the right as the mirror exploded. Trying to maintain control of the wheel on the rain slick roads, she swerved into the next lane.

“They tried to kill you before?” Justin ducked down lower when another bullet flew into the car through the open back window and out the front. “Why? What did you do?” All of those times that he was told she was nothing but a criminal came back to him. Was it true? Were Gavin and Lindale right about her? Had he, a loyal detective, fallen in love with a criminal?

When she remained silent, yet focused on the road, he screamed his desire for an answer. “Kenny, what did you do!” His use of her nickname; a nickname she hadn’t heard in so long, made thick tears escape from her eyes.

“Kennedy.” Justin touched her thigh as if to urge her on. Yet, the touch as simple as it was, seemed to be a jolt to both of their systems. Neither thought they would ever experience that feeling again.

“I didn’t do anything but my job.” She sniffled.

“What is your job?” In the three months they had spent together, he had never bothered to ask. They hadn’t actually defined their relationship so he didn’t feel he was entitled to that information.

“I’m a bounty hunter.” She whispered delicately, yet charged the city roads at a speed of ninety with Gavin and Lindale hot on her trail. Pedestrians stood on the curbs in awe of the movie-like chase scene.

“A what?

“I capture fugitives.”

“And help them leave the country!” Justin accused, and emphasized his point with wild hand gestures, despite the bullets grazing the vehicle. His accusation caught her off guard, and then they almost barreled into a car that hadn’t moved out of the way fast enough when they saw her coming.

“Hell no. I turn them into the authorities.”

“Then why do Lindale and Gavin want to kill you?”

“Because I turned in one of their own. You work for a bunch of dirty detectives Justin.” She explained, however, Justin shook his head as if he wasn’t trying to hear it.

“No.” He objected, though he remembered how they had beaten him bad enough to put him in the hospital.

“Yes Justin you were the exception. They used you, so you wouldn’t start snooping.” The moment she glanced at him, she crashed into a gate, during a sharp curve, but didn’t slow down. The bumpy unpaved road tossed them around like a rollercoaster ride at the state fair. A quick tortuous look into the mirror, Justin saw Gavin and Lindale barreling after them.

In all his years as a detective, he had never had anyone chase after him while unloading a series of bullets into his car. He could hear the pings and thuds of the bullets hitting the body. He would have never guessed that if God granted him the opportunity of seeing Kennedy again, they would be engaging in a dangerous high-speed chase.

Yet, watching Kennedy now, and besides the accompaniment of guns, she seemed to be in her element. Her expression was firm and focused as she squinted her eyes at the rainy conditions. Minus, the hat, her hair was pulled back in a ponytail away from her face. And that ever-present, currently soaked trench coat, stuck against her like a second skin. Her attire didn’t seem so odd to him anymore.

“That case they made up about me was fake. They thought they could get you to take me out until they found out we were together. That’s why I had to leave.” Kennedy gripped the wheel and Justin gripped his seat as they skidded down a hill. Gavin and Lindale followed in pursuit almost crashing into a streetlight pole.

“You didn’t leave Kennedy. You faked your death. Why didn’t you want to tell me where you were? I could’ve left with you or something.”

“No Justin.” She exhaled. “You don’t understand. I had to make it believable. They would have sniffed it out as bullshit if both of us showed up missing.” Therefore, the night of the storm was the perfect opportunity for her to disappear. Not having much time to prepare, she snuck out of the house while Justin was in the basement working on a case. She drove through town until she located a big ditch and a river. Keeping the engine on, she watched from the empty road as her car bounded down the hill into the river.

Her final thought before heading to the car that was waiting for, was if she would ever get to see Justin again and tell him that she loved him.

She hadn’t ever planned to come back until she heard from a source that he was in the hospital. Not knowing the severity of his injuries, she rushed back as soon as possible, just in case it was her last moments with him. She didn’t want him to die not knowing the truth about her death. And now, fate had brought them back together under dangerous circumstances once again.

“I would’ve thought of something. Seven months, I was miserable without you. I was, am in love with you Kennedy.” It felt good to finally say it even though emotions were running high and their lives were in danger.

Tears ran unchecked from Kennedy’s eyes. “I love you too Justin.” Wheels screeched as Gavin and Lindale finally caught up to them. They pulled up along side them, and Justin found himself staring at the business end of Gavin’s gun. A single bullet rang free before he could alert Kennedy. When she jerked, he knew she had been hit.

“Kennedy!” Justin shrieked as he grabbed control of the wheel. Angry at those bastards and himself for not protecting her, he rammed the driver side into Gavin and Lindale’s vehicle, running them into a ditch. Then he sped away.

“Kennedy? Kennedy? Where are you hit?”

“Justin.” She breathed. “You have to drive.” Her eyes closed briefly. “Because I can’t anymore.”

“No!” Justin forced out a piercing cry. “You’re going to be okay baby. I’ll help you.”

“Justin.” She pleaded and turned her head to look at him, her eyes fluttering. “You have to switch seats with me. Just please…hurry.” Justin used all of his concentration and strength to do as he was told. He gently maneuvered his arm around her body and lifted her across his body. Then he took up her seat. Kennedy groaned in pain.

“You okay baby?” He realized that she had been shot in her shoulder, yet dangerously close to her neck.

“Yeah.” Kennedy coughed. “I’m good.”

“Well, keep talking to me. You can’t go to sleep, you hear me?” She tried to nod when he glanced over at her, but failed.

“I’m sleepy though.” She was beginning to sound faint.

“I know honey but, you have to stay awake. You are not going to die on me for real!” His tears did not weaken his demand.

“Kennedy, I’m serious.” He warned, when he received no response. “Kennedy, don’t do this. You already faked your death once.” He glanced over at her still body and closed eyes, and realized that she wasn’t faking this time. “Kennedy!” His scream didn’t even startle her.

“Kennedy, wake up!” Nothing. “Kennedy!” Not caring about the wheel, he reached over with both hands to try to shake her away. Nothing still. By the time he looked up at the road again, they were headed down a steep hill between an onslaught of trees.

Justin pulled Kennedy into his lap and held her as they fell to what seemed a sudden death. However, the car landed awkwardly but safely on a pair of smooth large rocks.

Climbing to the back with Kennedy, Justin laid her out on the seats and kneeled at her feet. He removed his shirt to wrap it around the upper portion of her left arm. “Kennedy this is not fair. None of this is fair. I just got you back and God wants to take you away from me again. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. I wanted to marry you one day. And then we would’ve had some babies, as many you wanted.”

“Babies?” Kennedy managed to flutter her eyelids and speak. Justin was beyond relieved. He reached for her hand with his unoccupied one, dropped kisses, and shed grateful tears on it.

“Yeah.” Justin smiled in spite of himself.

“My pocket.” She began. Justin watched her confused. “My coat.” Justin reached into the pocket of her coat and pulled out her wallet.

“This?” She nodded weakly and told him to open it. Inside was a picture of a newborn baby girl. The backside of the picture read: Daddy’s Little Girl, One month old.

“Mine?” His eyes shone bright with tears.

“Mmm.” She expressed a hint of a smile before she closed her eyes again.

Justin crushed the picture in his hand. “Kennedy?” He whispered right before the window behind him exploded and his back burned with the pain of a bullet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rain clouds dominated the sky. Steady winds rustled the grass and flowers around the lone grave. The pitter-patter of feet could be heard as the rain settled in massive puddles. Walking in a sprint, two sets of feet started up the drive towards the graveyard. Determined strides led them to the headstones ahead. The moment they stood before the polished stones, they turned to each other, and a hint of a smile transformed their features.

The paired headstones read:

Kennedy Gabrielle Brooks

Loving daughter, girlfriend, and mother

April 6, 1982-April 17, 2007

Justin Randall Timberlake

Loving son, boyfriend, and father

January 31, 1981- April 17, 2007

“Well, that’s it. Our work here is done. How do you feel?”

“I feel great.” He was beaming. “We can move on with our lives now that they are gone.”

His companion nodded and put an arm around his shoulder to give him a congratulatory pat. None of this would’ve been possible if they hadn’t worked as a team.

“She’s not coming back.” The uttered sigh could have easily been mistaken as longing.

“Are you sure about that?”

“Yes. I quit. That part of my life is over.” Kennedy shrugged the trench coat from her shoulders. Draping the coat across her arm, she stroked the cotton gently where there was a hole from her bullet wound. Was she really ready to give up this life? For so long, she had been dominated by this life to the point that nothing else made sense. Yet, after two life-threatening ordeals, she had to reconsider her priorities.

Initially, she had faked her death to protect the life of her unborn child, hoping that afterwards she could start over as a bounty hunter under a new identity. However, after realizing that because of her lifestyle she and Justin could’ve both died that night, she decided it was time to give it all up. She glanced at her tiny daughter cradled in Justin’s embrace and knew it would all be worth it in the end.

“What about you? Are you ready to give up your life as a detective? You loved it so much.”

“Read the headstone babe, that Justin Timberlake is dead. Besides I could always find something else to do.”

“Like what?’

“I could become a professional homebody.” Grinning, Justin shifted the baby to his other arm.

Kennedy threw her head back and laughed. “You’re not serious.”

“Why not, I think Nasiyah would love it if I was home all the time. Wouldn’t you baby?” He snuggled his face into the powder-scented neck of his miracle baby with blue eyes so much like his. She cooed in response. “See?”

“She’s three months old what does she know?” Kennedy smiled, tickling the baby’s plump cheek. “Besides no husband of mine will be sitting on his ass all day doing nothing.”

“I would be taking care of the baby. Wait, are you saying you’re ready to get married?” He asked her two months earlier but the timing had not been right for them. They had each taken a month to heal from their gunshot wounds, in separate undisclosed locations of course. The following month, they had met up with each other in another private location where Justin had met his daughter for the first time. Yet, still they were living separate lives of seclusion until weeks later Gavin and Lindale were found dead. Only then did they agree to live a happy life together as a family.

“You know what’s funny…yesterday Merrick told me that they actually had a funeral for us. With real bodies and everything. He said they were crispy and unrecognizable though. That was a little over the top, don’t you think?” She giggled and Justin nodded, putting his arm around her waist as they headed back to their car.

“What is even funnier is that Gavin and Lindale were buried at this same cemetery, burnt to a crisp and unrecognizable as well.” The same thought seemed to cross their minds as they whirled around to stare at their graves.

“Nah.” They voiced simultaneously.

“Let’s go.” Justin reached for her hand.

“Okay…wait hold on, I forgot something.” Kennedy dropped his hand and ran back towards her grave. Kneeling, she said a silent prayer and then stood. She stared at the navy trench coat in her arms. Memories good and bad flooded her mind before she allowed the coat to fall from her grasp, letting it settle at the foot of her “headstone.” It had served it’s purpose.

Kennedy turned, hurrying back to Justin. After buckling in the baby, he stood beside her. He clasped her shoulders. “You okay?”

“Yup.” She glanced back. “No more naked under the trench coat fantasies though.”

“Aww damn.” Justin slapped his thigh, disappointed. Kennedy laughed and pecked him on the lips. They shared a passionate and very much deserved kiss. Moments later, they were in the car.

Kennedy glanced in the rearview mirror as they drove away until the sight of her now useless trench coat became unrecognizable.

The End


Completed
Kahlymilla is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked SSWC1: Not All Rain Reaches the Surface also liked 53 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story