Author's Chapter Notes:
yeah, i totally named this chapter 'consummation' lmao and again, didn't work today. just updated

One month later

 

"The contract isn't right Denver." Preston sighs, rubbing his forehead. "I need it to be right before I submit the offer."

Mackenzie watches him pace back and forth in the kitchen, her eyes darting to the clock every few minutes.

"Damn it. Look, just do whatever it takes to get it right and have it done by tomorrow morning." He snaps. "No excuses. I'll be expecting it by nine."

And with that he closes the phone and takes a beat before turning to her.

"Everything ok?" She asks him as he braces both hands on the island in front f her. "That didn't sound like a lot of fun."

"It's fine." He shakes his head. "Just trying to get this proposal right for that space I found in Chicago."

She nods, knowing that this is a big deal. This is the first time he's put a bid on property in what's considered one of the big market areas. New York, LA, Chicago, Miami. This is where he'll either sink or swim. The pressure is almost unbearable and he hasn't even broke ground yet.

"It'll all work out." She assures him. "You were made for this type of work and I have complete faith in you."

With a grateful look, he straightens up. "Let's get going. We've got reservations."

"Where are we going?" She asks once they've settled into the back of the town car. "That new Japanese place?"

"No, just sit tight." He reaches out and taps her knee. "So impatient you young kids."

She cringes inwardly when he says that. Hearing it from Grace is one thing but to hear Preston, the man she's dating, say it makes her uncomfortable.

She didn't find anything weird or unusual with their relationship. They have very honest and open communication. They respected and trusted each other. There was a mutual understand that work was a huge priority and that they both tend to be on the workaholic side of things.

The only thing that was lacking was sex.

Not that it was super important to her because she's only ever been with two men in her life. One being her high school boyfriend and the other her long term college boyfriend. While she enjoyed it, she was never the girl who felt the need to have a random hook ups or one night stand.

Preston hasn't even so much as tried to cop a feel. She secretly wonders if maybe Grace is right and he just can't. And that scares her. She doesn't want to be with some sex-crazed guy but at the same time, she does want children one day and sex is an essential part of that.

She turns to look at him, lost in thought and that's when she notices his hand is still on her knee. Chewing on her lip and looking down at his fingers, just laying there on the inside of her knee she shifts her leg allowing his hand to climb a little higher.

Sneaking a glance at him, his head trained on the passing city but his hand stays put. Smiling to herself, she rotates her hips so that she's leaning into him instead of away from him and his hand moves higher again.

This time he turns to her and she flashes a smile at him.

"We're almost there." He returns the smile, his hand still in place.

"Good. I'm starving."

"I forgot." He says as the driver opens the door and he climbs out onto the sideway. He holds a hand out to help her from the car. "Justin's meeting us with a date."

"Date?" She chokes out, her voice catching in her throat.

"Some new lady friend of his that he met a few weeks ago." He tucks her arm under his as staff opens the door for them.

She'd only seen him twice since the day they dropped the check off at Bonnie's office. Both times at Preston's home when Justin was always just leaving as she showed up. Neither of them acknowledging the kiss or the truce they made. It was like the whole thing never happened.

But it did and the lack of sex she was having is the only reason she can fathom she still thinks about it.

"A few weeks?" She raises an eyebrow. "She's lasted longer than one night?"

He laughs and the maitre d' bows his head, leading them silently to a table near the back of the room. "He does occasionally have more than just a fling."

She rolls her eyes before muttering. "Please."

"Justin, my boy." Preston's voice booms over the dull chatter of the room. "How are you?"

He stands, reaching out to shake his father's hand. "Good, you?"

"Can't complain." He settles into his chair after holding Mackenzie's out for her. "And who is this lovely woman with you?"

Mackenzie looks to Justin's right to find a striking blond seated next to him, one shoulder bare in a red dress. Without even knowing this woman, she dislikes her.

"Dad, Mack, this is Tonya." He smiles at the both of them. "Tonya, my dad, Preston and his," He coughs giving her a smirk. "Girlfriend Mackenzie."

"It's a pleasure to meet you dear." Preston dips his head as the waiter leans in and the two men discuss wine selection.

"It's nice to meet you." Tonya directs to Mackenzie. "Justin has told me so much about you."

"That's nice." She forces a smile at the blond before narrowing her eyes at the man beside her. "Don't believe anything he says."

"So much for that truce." He says under his breath, eliciting a curious look from Tonya. "How's Gracie?"

"She's good."

"How are you?" Justin presses, amused at her quick answer.

"Fine."

He laughs, loving the way he's already managed to get under her skin. His eyes drop down to her neck and his throat feels dry suddenly.

The way she's got her hair pinned to the side of her head is showing off the curve of her neck, the black lining of the dress dipping down her collar before coming across her chest. That was also dangerously low.

He reaches out for the glass of water in front of him taking a drink.

Then he's back in that storage room on New Year's Eve, kissing her like his life depended on it. Suddenly he's choking on the water and all three sets of eyes surrounding him have turned their attention to him.

"Oh my God, are you ok?" Tonya asks and places a hand on his arm the very same time Mackenzie reaches over and rubs her hand up and down his back.

He shrugs the both of them off before nodding. "I'm good. I'm good. Went down the wrong way."

"You sure?" Preston asks, eying him.

"Yeah, totally good." He sneaks a glance at the brunette beside him, her gaze holding his eyes for several seconds. Unconsciously he licks his lips and her eyes darken.

"Tell me about yourself Tonya." Preston speaks up and Mackenzie blushes, her eyes dropping away from Justin to the table top. "How'd you two meet?"

Grinning to himself, Justin looks at her for another second before turning his attention to his date.

XXXXXXXXXX

"Hey."

Her head snaps up at the sound of his voice.

"Hey."

"You want a drink?" Justin asks her.

She looks in the direction of the table, where Preston and Tonya are still talking about whatever they were talking about before she excused herself to the restroom.

"Come on Mack." He steps closer to her, pushing himself off the wall. "Just one quick drink."

"Fine." She gives in knowing that she was going to join him anyways.

The both take a seat at the end of the dimly lit bar, neither speaking.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks.

"Jack and coke, please." Justin tells him. "Two please."

He nods and steps away to make their drinks.

"I don't like whiskey."

"Too bad." He grins at her. "Just sit there, look pretty and drink it."

She rolls her eyes as the bartender slides the drinks in front of them. "We need to get back there."

"Relax." He hushes her. Turning to her, drink raised a little, "To you."

She eyes him. "What's the catch?"

"No catch." She raises an eyebrow and he leans in. "Ok, then how ‘bout we drink to how fuckin' stunning you look tonight?"

Her breath catches at his words and the closeness of his face to hers. But he doesn't move and neither does she.

Then before she can do anything he clinks his glass with hers and downs the contents.

"Drink up." He looks at her.

Swallowing hard she quickly drinks the liquid, burning its way down her throat as it goes. "How do you enjoy that?" She coughs out placing the glass beside his. "It's disgusting."

He laughs and leans in close to her ear. His breath stirring her hair as he speaks, "Makes sex better. No inhibitions."

Without another word he slides off the barstool and heads back to the table.

"Holy hell." She whispers watching him walk away.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

"Tonya was nice." Preston comments. "Seems to have a good head on her shoulders."

"Hmmm." She agrees, her mind preoccupied with other thoughts.

"You ok?" He asks, wrapping an arm around her, his fingers rubbing against her shoulder. "You were very quiet tonight."

"I'm fine." She turns to smile at him.

"Good." He says before dropping his head and pressing a kiss to her mouth.

As he kisses her, she finds herself remembering the way she felt when Justin kissed her and the way he made he feel tonight. Her body on fire, needing so much more than just a kiss tonight.

She pulls away and breathes, "Can I stay with you tonight?"

He untangles himself from her, regarding her slight confusion. "Mackenzie-"

"Please Preston." She runs her fingers down the lapels of his jacket. "I just want to be with you tonight."

He can see the desperate look on her face and he cares for her. Cares for her very deeply but he's worried. She's young enough to be is daughter and it doesn't matter that she seems secure with their relationship, that fact will always remain true. Which is why he hasn't pressed the sex issue with her. He thought it best to let her initiate anything that may happen.

He brings a hand up and runs a finger across her jaw, watching as her eyes close. "Of course you can."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story