Author's Chapter Notes:

i'm still not 100% happy with this but it took me this long do write it so i'm just glad it's done. i'm hoping the rest will just flow and write itself.  also, thanks to my love kate for the pep talk. enough of my babble, FINALLY an update!!

oh, yeah, totally didn't proof this. sorry. but i'm just....i struggled with this for months lol

"This is really great." The woman says, her eyes trained on the table surrounded by children. "Allowing the kids to say thank you in their own way."

Mackenzie smiles unable to look away from the kids either. "Bonnie said they wanted to help and I'm more than happy to let them do it their way." She pauses when a little girl turn, her face covered with a blue medical mask but the happiness radiating out of her. She waves to the woman standing next to Mackenzie, glitter and marker all over her hands and forearms. "Besides, this was my secret ploy to be able to wear jeans and use paint markers."

The mother of the girl laughs as Mackenzie joins the table of children. Covering the table are arts and crafts of every kind; markers, glitter, paper, scissors, feathers. The table hardly visible under it all. She's not really sure what possessed her to let the kids talk her into making him things because knowing Justin; he'll probably just throw them away or shove them in a closet or something, never to see the light of day again. But it's what the kids wanted to do; they said they each wanted to give him something. One of the nurses explained that each kid had their own bond with Justin and thanking him as a group wasn't something they were interested in.

"What's Justin's favorite color?" The girl in the mask, Sarah, asks. "Does he like pink?" She waves a marker in Mackenzie's face. "Cause I like pink."

"I'm not really sure boys are a big fan of pink." She reaches out and grabs a green marker. "Try this one."

Sarah grabs the marker and starts to draw something only she can decipher on the thin popsicle stick and it's in that second that Mackenzie realizes just how much she wants a child of her own. Maybe not right now but soon. She reaches up to toy with the necklace Preston gave her for Christmas.

She'll never have children as long as she's with him. Not that he wouldn't be willing to adopt, all she has to do it ask and she knows he'll provide her with anything. But she wants a child of her own. She wants to go through all the struggles and joys of pregnancy. She wants the midnight cravings of pickles and ice cream. She wants to waddle around for so long without seeing her feet that she almost forgets what they look like. To feel the life inside her kick for the first time. There is nothing she wants more than that.

Pushing the thoughts from her head, she turns her attention to the little boy sitting across from her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You know, that dress might be a little too sexy for the children's ward." Grace grins. "I'm not saying you don't look hot but I'm just saying. If you pass any old guys, there's likely to be some heart monitors going off."

"You're full of it." Mackenzie rolls her eyes as they walk into the elevator. She reaches out and jabs the button to the third floor. "It's just a freaking dress."

"Was that almost a curse word?" She feigns surprise. "Well I never!"

Unable to keep the smile off her face she reaches out and swats Grace. "Stop it."

The elevator chimes and the doors open, both of them standing in awe. The entire third floor is covered in bright colors and lights. The place has always seemed welcoming but with all the decorations and the music playing, it is practically a party. It sort of is, a celebration knowing that these kids will finally be able to move into a hospital all to themselves. No longer sharing with other patients. All the money that Justin's helped raise has given these kids something to look forward to and everyone that is healthy enough to attend will be at the groundbreaking ceremony next week.

"Ladies." Justin slides up beside them as they walk through the crowd of giggling kids. "Welcome to the tenth wonder of the world.....a child's happiness."

"There are only seven wonders of the world." Mackenzie rolls her eyes but accepts the glass he hands her. "All that schooling and you're still a dunce."

"Ouch." He holds a hand over his head and Grace lets out a laugh. "Actually, all I really learned in school is the art of drinking," he lowers his voice, "and love making."

"I think I'm going to be sick." She turns away as Grace covers her mouth.

"You are a dirty boy." Grace points a finger at him. "Don't ever change."

"I'm trying not to but you know Gracie dear, I think my dad and stepmom might ship me off to boarding school if I don't shape up soon. All those nuns with rulers." He turns to the dark haired woman. "Where's the humanity mom? I thought you loved me!"

She sighs at his dramatics. "Must you encourage him?" She looks at Grace. "He's bad enough as it is on his own."

"You wish you knew how bad I really was." He whispers in her ear as he turns to get a drink from the table behind them. She shivers at the warmth of his breath so close to her.

"I hear the tiny ones have something special planned for you tonight." Grace looks at him. "Rumor is you might actually shed a tear or two."

He snorted. "I don't cry."

"Care to make a gentlemen's wager on that?" Mackenzie raises an eyebrow at him. "I know what they have planned."

"I'm in." Grace bounces on the balls of her feet, the tips of her heels coming off the floor. "Besides, what's more satisfying then seeing a man cry?"

Mackenzie and Justin lock eyes, both thinking the same thing. She drains the last of her wine, a blush spreading over her face. She hasn't felt this is a long time. The feeling of want and being wanted. Not that she'll ever admit to actually being attracted to him. She just tells herself it's because of the issues Preston has in the bedroom plus he's been gone for weeks and she just wants some companionship.

"Yeah, ok." Justin nods. "I'll take that bet."

"You're money is a good as mine." She reaches out and they shake on it.

Two hours later Mackenzie finds herself standing in the middle of the family room that's been converted into party central. She's not sure how Bonnie managed to get approval from the hospital board but there's a DJ tucked away in the corner playing music to a group of kids who couldn't look happier.

"Everything's set?" Bonnie's voice drags her eyes away from the dance floor.

"Yep, all the gifts are set up in the nurses' station so we're ready when you are." She replies.

"Great." The elder woman claps her hands and hurries towards the DJ. Mackenzie scans the room to find Grace deep in conversation with some parents and Justin on the other side of the room. Some of the smaller kids have surrounded him and it appears they've made their own dance floor. The group of them keep repeating the same movements, hands and feet moving at the same time and there's a boy, maybe either or so, pointing at one of the girls then back at Justin. She watches as Justin copies the movements of the girl. He follows in step for a second before missing a turn and the kids dissolve into laughter.

He might have mastered the art of drinking but dancing he did not.

"Excuse me." Bonnie's voice cracks through the speakers. "I'm really sorry to break up Soul Train 2011 but I've got a few things to say."

The room full of people comes to a slow stop as everyone turns their attention towards her. "First off, I'm so glad that everyone's here, having a great time and I'm going to suggest once we make the movie to our new home, we do this every month!" A chorus of screams comes from the kids. "Well, now that that's taken care of. As you all know we've been raising money for a long time to be able to get us our own building and hospital. A place where all of you can feel at home, complete with separate living facilities for family members and all the utilities needed to make sure that everyone is comfortable and happy and without want. My goal is to see every person that walks through that door smile, every single day. You are the bravest people I have ever met and I couldn't be more ecstatic to tell you that next week, we finally break ground and begin the process of building our new home!"

Mackenzie finds herself caught up in the emotion she feels in this room. The kids with smiles on their face, jumping up and down. The parents with tears shining in the eyes knowing that they've finally found a place where the kids are the priority and not the hospital politics.

"As you all know, none of this could have been possible without all the hard work and dedication that Justin has given. He has worked tirelessly to bring awareness and to raise funds and to just be here with you guys. All of you." Bonnie looks around the room, she stops when she finds him in the crowd. "You will never know the joy and the hope you bring. Not just to the kids but to the parents and the doctors and the nurses. To everyone that you've ever dealt with here. There are no words to express just how much you've meant to us and how truly thankful we are for everything." Justin ducks his head from the praise. "So thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you."

Unable to contain herself, she finds herself clapping along with everyone else and blinking back tears. Justin turns his head to catch her gaze before looking back at Bonnie.

"Now, if you could just stay where you are, there's a little something we have for you." Bonnie motions towards herself and she's instantly surrounded by all the kids in the room. They stretch out across the makeshift dance floor, some still wearing the medical masks, some in wheelchairs or holding onto IV drips but they're there. Smiles on their faces and she knows there's not a thing in the world that could make them leave.

One of the older kids nods at the DJ and he presses a button for the music to start. Some of the adults chuckle when they recognize the song and as completely cheesy as she finds it, Mackenzie loves it. She loved it from the second they picked this song.

"Really?" Grace whispers at her side. "You let them sing this song?"

She shrugs. "I'll have you know, ‘Thank you for being a friend' is a classic."

"Classic cheese."

With a smile, "They picked it. I was only there to supervise with the glue and paint."

Grace just watches her with a knowing smile. It's always interesting to watch a pair of people fight to hide their feelings and fail miserably.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sitting in her car, hands gripping the steering wheel, Mackenzie wrestles with the voice in her head.

Go home. This is stupid.

You're friends, you can just show up.

You are not friends.

Yes we are.

No we aren't.

"Ugh!" She groans and rests her chin on top of the wheel. When she woke up this morning, going to see Justin seemed like a good idea but the closer she got to his place the dumber it felt. She hasn't seen or spoke to him in three days. Not since she said bye at the hospital. His arms full with the box holding all the things the kids had made for him.

She has no clue if he's even home. The blinds are closed and she has no way of seeing inside the house.  For all she knows he could be out doing God knows what.

"I'm leaving. I'm just....leaving." She reaches to put the key in the ignition but the shrill ring of her cell phone scares her and she drops them to the floor.

"Shit." She clutches her hand to her heart, thankful it's still beating.

"Hello?" She reaches down blindly, groping for the keys.

"Are you just going to sit there stalking me or did you plan to maybe, I don't know....get out and knock on the door?"

Her mouth drops. "How....wha-You're insufferable."

"Mack, it's too early for SAT words." Justin laughs through the phone. "Get out of the car and come inside. I've got pancakes."

Annoyed that he's gotten under her skins with just a few words she snaps the phone shut and gets out of the car.

"You are completely predictable." He opens the door before she can knock.

"One of these days, you're going to meet someone who doesn't fall for your charm." She marches past him and towards the smell of breakfast.

"Wait. Are you saying you've fallen for my charm?" He grins from across the marble countertop.

"Give me the pancakes." She holds an empty plate out.

They eat breakfast comfortably, bouncing jabs off each other but neither of them are willing to allow themselves to admit they're comfortable. For Justin it's a new feeling. Usually he ushers women right out of the door at first sunlight. He can't even remember the last time he had a meal that doesn't come with cocktails with a woman. He knows he's treading on dangerous ground but he's unable to stop himself.

"Thank you." She mutters when he takes the plate away and moves towards the sink. She can feel his eyes on her as she draws patterns on the counter. In an effort to distract him she slides off the stool and into the living room.

"I don't even know why I'm here." She calls over the sound of the water and dishes hitting each other.

"Does it matter?" He calls back.

Yes, she tells herself. Preston's due back sometime early afternoon and she wants to meet him at the house to surprise him. It's been weeks since she's last seen him and is nervous how thing will be when he's home.

She moves around the room, stopping to look at some of the books and pictures. Her heart stops when she spots something that doesn't fit in with the rest of the room.

Sitting right in the middle of the bookshelf is a popsicle picture frame, covered in glitter and green marker. The frame that Sarah had made was now sitting as the center piece of the room. Inside holds a picture of Justin and the little girl, both dressed in Halloween costumes, smiling at the camera.

"I know I'm not supposed to have favorites," Justin's voice is soft behind her. "But she's mine."

She nods and turns to him. Something changed in that moment and there's no point in trying to deny it. They'd both be lying.

He starts towards her and she's holding her breath, only realizing it when he reaches out to run a finger along her jaw. Her eyes flutter close and that's all it takes. Leaning in, he kisses her. Softly and hesitantly at first. It's only when she fists the sides of his t-shirt that he deepens it.

His hand slide under the hem of her top, his fingers stopping at her hips before sliding under the top of her jeans before moving around to her backside. This is it. He knows there's no turning back now and if she stops him.....he's praying she won't stop him.

He pulls back when he feels her tiny hands on his bare skin. He watches as she blinks rapidly, almost like coming out of a trace. Before she can speak he presses another kiss to her mouth.

"Are you sure?" He whispers against her lips.

She licks her lips, her tongue accidently touching his. She's not sure of anything anymore. Being with Justin makes her feel things she hasn't felt in a long, long time. He's got a way of keeping her on her toes and pressing all her button. And she'll never admit it to herself but she secretly loves it. She pushes all the nagging ‘don't do this' voices in her head out and just surrenders to feeling.

She answers by grasping the bottom of his shirt and pulling it over his head.


Incomplete
meggie is the author of 31 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Money Honey also liked 686 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story