Mackenzie smoothed out the front of her dress in front of the mirror. She hadn't the slightest clue as to why Preston wanted to meet with her prior to the awards banquet. He seemed please with the ballroom earlier so she's hopeful that it's just another briefing before the ceremony starts.

Checking the room one last time to make sure she wasn't leaving anything she takes the elevator downstairs to the lobby. She makes her way across the marble floor, planner in hand, but stops when she hears a distinctive laugh.

Her eyes zone in on the front desk where the pretty girl behind the counter is giggling at the name standing in front of her. She scans the back of the name and narrows her eyes when she recognizes the leather jacket.

"Ugh." She groans out before turning on her heel and walking towards him.  She reaches out and taps the name on the shoulder. "What are you doing here?"

He holds a finger up to the girl, who blushes when her eyes meet Mackenzie's. He turns slowly and grins. "Hello to you too darlin'."

"What are you doing here?" The annoyance in her voice evident to anyone who might be listening. The young girl behind the counter quickly moves away.

She can feel the anger radiating out of her. This man has been the very bane of her existence since she started working for Preston. For every good quality that Preston possesses, Justin does not. Where Preston is hard working and determined, Justin was practically handed a scholarship to Princeton at birth. He never had to work for anything in his life and it infuriated Mackenzie to no end. She still had trouble believing that the two men were even related.

"You didn't think I'd miss dear old dad getting his big, fancy award did you?" Justin Timberlake leans back against the counter. "He'd be so upset if I did."

She knew this much was true. Ever since his wife had died several years ago, Preston turned his full attention to his only son. She thought it was the fear of being alone that made him reach out to Justin much more after that than ever before.

She eyes the jeans, t-shirt and jacket he's wearing. "It is a black tie event."

"Ah, that's why I have the monkey suit in a room upstairs."

She can feel her hands shaking in anger.

"Come on Mack, think of how much fun it'll be sitting with me." He wiggles his eyebrows.

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, silently counting to five. "You are not sitting near me."

"Oh contraire!" He leans in close to her and she straightens up. "I just had that cute little thing working for you change up the seating arrangements."

Her eyes snap open, fully ready to let him know that the seating was set in stone and anyone working for her knew better than to make any changes this close to an event without speaking with her. But before she could open her mouth a voice booms behind her.

"Justin!" Preston slides up beside her and brings his son in for a brief hug. "I'm so glad you made it."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." His smile very much like his fathers. "It's not every day you get Businessman of the Year."

She looks up at Preston as he chuckles and brings Justin in for another hug. "Let me tie up some stuff with Mackenzie here, you go change and meet me back here in twenty minutes. I want to hear all about this new girl you're seeing."

Fighting the urge to roll her eyes when notes Justin's chest puff a little in pride, she turns to her boss. "If you'd like to follow me, everything is set to go."

"Go, go." Preston ushers Justin towards the elevators.

"I'm going." He reaches out and presses the up arrow. Turning his head over his shoulder, "Save me a seat Mack."

She grits her teeth and walks alongside Preston into the ballroom.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The pride that Mackenzie feels as she watches Preston make his acceptance speech is an all consuming one. She knows that he works hard every day to make sure that his businesses operate the way he wants. Nothing but perfection is what's expected. One of the endless traits she admires.

Preston Timberlake was a self-made millionaire by the time he was twenty-five years old. He bought out a small and dying hotel chair with inheritance from his grandparents and rebuilt the chair from the ground up. Changed the look, the practice, the personal, everything became upscale and high end. The cliental went from street workers and drug users to celebrities and socialites and royalty. His name was as well respected any big name in the business world, Gates, Hilton, Walton, Allen, he was ranked amongst them.

She flicks her hand when she feels like there's something on it. A minute later it happens again and she looks down to find a drop of water rolling down the back of her hand. Again she reaches out and wipes her hand dry before turning back to Preston.

Not even ten seconds later there are two more drops of water on the back of her hand but this time she can hear a muffled chuckle beside her.

Her head snaps to Justin as he tries unsuccessfully to cover a smile.

"What is wrong with you?" She hisses at him, careful not to draw attention to them.

"I'm bored." He shrugs, voice just as soft as her. "Let's get out of here."

Her eyes widen in shock. "You cannot leave now."

He glances up at his dad, "He'll never know."

"We are sitting right in front of him."

He can't help but smile at the look of pure frustration on her face. He loves to push her buttons. The simple pleasures in life make him happy.

"Chicken." He grins at her, leaning back in the chair, arms crossing over his chest.

She huffs and turns back towards the stage.

In his mind, Mackenzie Jefferson was as tightly wound as they come. Graduated a year early from high school in some podunk town, on a partial scholarship to Duke University before graduating a year early with honors. She packed up everything to her name and moved to Atlanta. Preston picked her up from a small wedding planner where her talents were being wasted.

Justin didn't understand how someone so young could be so old. Her life revolved around work and Preston's needs. Not to say he wasn't happy his dad found an employee he could trust and depend on but it seemed like every time he saw her, she was on the verge of exploding from stress. He knows he shouldn't but giving her a hard time was his way of getting her mind of work. Even if all it did was anger her.

Several hours later, the guests trailing out of the ballroom until there's just a handful of hotel staff cleaning up. Mackenzie watches Justin flirt with a tall blonde woman in the corner, both their heads close. A faint smile on her lips. She rolls her eyes, annoyed that a woman can be some easily charmed by him.

"Mackenzie, what are you still doing here?" Preston voices from behind her.

She turns, a bright smile on her face. "Just wanted to make sure that you didn't need anything else before I head out."

"You, my dear, work too hard." He shakes his head, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Take off already."

"If you're sure?"

"Go home." He wraps an arm around her shoulder, steering her to the door.

They stop at the door and she sneaks a glance over at Justin. He's now placing his jacket over her shoulders, the two of them heading towards where she knows there's a back door that leads to an elevator.

"I was wondering if you'd like to join for dinner next week?"

She blinks, completely taken back by the question. She had never thought of him like that. Sure she admired and respected him. She enjoyed his company and his stories. But anything other than that never crossed her mind.

He tilts his head to the side a little, almost as if he's trying to snap her out of her daze.

"Oh, yes. Of course." She stutters. She was going to choose the safe route on this one. "Is there another function coming up?" She reaches for her planner, prepared to write anything down.

"No, dear. Not work related."

"Oh." She swallows hard and he gives her a small smile. "Ok, yes."

"Good." His smile widens. "I'll have Tammy call you with the details."

She nods in understanding. So his assistant was going to be planning the date. If she could even call it that.

He helps her slip her jacket on and she can't help but think that his hands linger on her shoulders a little longer.

"Good night Mackenzie." He towers over her.

She's not sure what she's feeling but she can feel a smile tug at her lips. "Good night."

Chapter End Notes:
not proofread so get over it! hahaha kidding


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story