Author's Chapter Notes:
WOW, I know; long-time, no see. But here's an update. Enjoy!

It took about 2 hours to cook the steaks to perfection. JC preferred rare, but he knew Liz hated the sight of the bloody juices gushing from the sizzling meat on his plate. So he cooked both strips well done. He walked around his kitchen, taking four bottles from his wine cabinet so he could taste test and determine which bottle fit the mood for the night. He couldn't keep himself still. Tonight was the last night he and Liz would be alone before shooting began for 'The Perfect Duet', and JC would be lying if he said he wasn't having doubts still.  He had finally talked himself into the fact that he might even have some fun during the show, but his main concern was losing Liz. 

 

After he buttered the rolls and placed them in the oven, he set his timer on the counter for 10 minutes. He finally took a deep breath and leaned against the kitchen sink. Tonight was going to be the night he had to ask Liz where this relationship was going. The past few months had not been a walk in the park. They were fighting more, spending less time together, all for the sake of the show and the fact that Liz was the mastermind behind everything, she was completely unavailable. 

 

Before she had presented the project to him, JC had been ready to ask Liz to move in with him. Now he felt like they were back at square one in the dating game. Phone tag wasn't fun in high school, and it isn't fun now either. He knew he was still in love with Liz, but he needed to know where they stood going into production for the show. It was important to him that his relationship would last.

 

Outside the sun was gently setting into the horizon and although the air was still thick with heat, with the sun no longer glaring on the surface of the earth, the gentle breeze gave the atmosphere a freshness that JC could appreciate.  He had just completed setting the table on the back porch when he heard Liz's heels clicking against his marble floor. "Out here, baby," he called then lit the last candle. He caught the flash of Liz's platinum blonde hair as she stopped in the door way and let out a low gasp.  He grinned and looked up. "You like?"

 

"I love!" Liz exclaimed, her hands going straight for her chest. "Honey, you're the best." She hurried over to the table and let her hands run through JC's hair as he embraced her. "What's the occasion?" She sat in her seat when JC pulled out her chair and placed her purse on the floor near her feet.

 

"Just that it's our last night together before we begin shooting," JC shrugged then took his place in the chair across from his girlfriend. "I don't foresee very many times to be alone in the next few months." He poured him and Liz some more wine before setting the bottle of Merlot back down on the white linen tablecloth. "How's your steak, baby?"

 

"Delicious," Liz purred and bit down on more of her food before smiling at JC.

 

He was taken aback by her gorgeous smile, that was for sure. JC was completely enamored with Liz, almost to a fault. With her contagious laughter and perfect physique, she'd always been capable of getting JC to bend toward her will with a bat of an eyelash or flick of her wrist. But Liz was never deceitful; in fact, JC figured it was all to better him. And all he wanted was to please her because she was always doing things for him, too. 

 

But tonight, something was missing. He felt as though Liz wasn't one hundred percent there at the romantic dinner set-up he had constructed on his back patio for them. There were soft, twinkling lights pinned up against the brick walls and candles that gave the atmosphere a special something. As their conversation grew dull and the insects began to buzz around the food, JC suddenly felt dumb as he remembered all the effort he put into making his patio look like a stupid chick flick. Liz was distracted on the final night they had alone together before the crazy schedule that 'The Perfect Duet' demanded. JC frowned when her phone rang from within her purse and she began to fidget in her seat. That fucking phone has been ringing non-stop for the last two months. 

 

"Why don't you answer your phone, and I'm gonna take a walk."

"What?" Liz lowered her fork and nervously glanced at JC. "What do you mean 'take a walk'?"

 

JC wiped his mouth with his napkin and bit back a smart-ass remark that he knew would get him into more trouble than he was willing to deal with tonight. "I hope you enjoyed your food, hun. Go inside and relax, I'm gonna walk and be back in an hour, tops. I promise." He kissed Liz on her cheek and turned his back before she could protest. Soon he was out of his front door and heading towards the trail made specifically in his neighborhood for joggers and bikers inside a small wooded area. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the first person who came to mind.

 

"Yep?" Justin answered his phone after JC was expecting the voicemail to pick up.

 

"Hey."

 

"Heeeey."

 

"I leave tomorrow to start shooting."

 

"Yeah," Justin smiled and turned down his TV. He was spread out on his couch and doing one of his favorite things: nothing. "So are you all ready? Did you pack your toothbrush and clean undies?"

 

"Yeah," JC laughed and broke a small twig from a tree branch that was in his way. "Honestly, though, J...I'm not sure this is such a..."

 

"Here we go..."

 

JC clicked his tongue in annoyance and continued. "I don't think Liz and I are going to make it."

 

"You haven't done anything yet," Justin argued.

 

"It's not so much as the other women," JC said. He looked over his shoulder and saw a biker riding behind him, leaning into his bike and narrowly missing JC on the path. "It's the fact she's let this whole thing just go to her head and we haven't even begun to shoot." He summarized Liz's whacky behavior over the past couple months for Justin in more detail, explaining how she was hardly ever home and she'd constantly bail on him for last minute meetings with VH1 or her production team. She even went back on her word to include JC in everything as she very recently let go of some girls that had landed spots on the show and brought in some wild cards to, in her words, "keep it interesting" for JC. They had more fights and less quality time together and there'd been times where JC was ready to walk away from the show and his relationship.

 

But Liz was a force that kept pulling him back, in regards to business and pleasure. Since the night he met her, Elizabeth Sharp was a blonde bombshell, with big round eyes that could blink JC into a frenzy. She could be the one, he had convinced himself very early on in the relationship. But, they were the model couple of opposite attraction; she was a firecracker that was happy to be center-of-attention and constantly on the move, while JC was a self-proclaimed homebody who appreciated spotlight for what it was since he'd had so much of it, but preferred not to stay in it for too long. When Liz had relayed information about her career aspirations to JC, there was definitely a red flag. Fresh out of college, Hollywood-hungry, hot-shot wannabe's were dangerous.

 

"Hey," Justin said suddenly. "Is it true that Joey's going to make an appearance on the show?"

 

JC smirked at Justin's tone of voice. "Yes. Why, are you jealous?"

 

"A little," Justin admitted. "I told Liz I'd free my schedule because I want to be there for you, man."

 

"Yeah, you want to be there for me alright...to test out the girls, huh?"

 

"Anything for my B.F.F."

 

"Ha!" JC began to walk back to his house, suddenly feeling a little better and even optimistic. Joey Fatone, another former band mate and dear friend of JC's, was on board for a two-episode appearance later in the season. "I can't believe I'm gonna do it. I'm actually kind of excited."

 

"Good, and you should be." Justin yawned and stretched. "Fixing to call it a night, buddy. So, like I said, just have fun. And as far as Liz goes...she's the one who signed you up. I say make the best of the situation and grab some tits while you can."

 

"Thanks, I think." JC said his goodbyes to Justin then hung the phone up just as he reached his front porch. He was still wearing his black slacks and black, button-down shirt but had rolled up the sleeves since the new summer air was definitely taking it's heated toll in California. He locked his door behind him and walked to the back patio to see if all the candles had been blown out.  He locked up the house and put on the alarm, suddenly feeling fatigued as he walked slowly up the stairs. JC knew he had to have that heart-to-heart with Liz before they made their way to his home for the next couple months. He didn't want to lose her, but he definitely needed to know where they stood. Finally making it to the top of the staircase, JC was met with the scent of newly lit lavender candles and heard the clinking of a wine bottle touching a glass. Turning the corner and entering his bedroom, he was met by quite a sight.

 

"Hey," Liz said, smiling softly. She stood at the foot of JC's bed, wearing only black stilettos and her black, lacey bra. Her blonde hair fell gracefully over her eyes and flowed down her shoulders where the length of her waves met the top of her breasts. "I've missed you." She poured the last of the Merlot into a glass and walked over to JC, meeting him at the doorway he stood frozen in. "Now, fuck me."

 


JC whistled and felt his erection press against his slacks that were quickly removed by Liz before he could protest, as if he were protesting at all. Soon, he cupped Liz's firm rear, pressed her exposed body to his and began to kiss her deeply. Out of breath and hungry for more, he carried her to the bed, forgetting all the pros and cons of their relationship, the show, or anything else that didn't matter. All that mattered was pleasing his girlfriend, and that was enough for him.

 


 


Ella frowned as she stood over her giant red suitcase and internally skimmed down her mental checklist. This was probably the fiftieth time in her 23 years on earth that she'd ever packed up and moved somewhere. Packing had almost become an art to her, a way of life. But tonight she was unsure. In her case, there were enough clothes to last several lifetimes, and all her cosmetics were tucked safely in the front zipper compartment of the bag. "What the hell am I missing?"

 

As if he were replying, Ella's dog Max entered her bedroom and let out a low whine. "Aw," Ella cooed as she turned and bent over to retrieve the chocolate-colored pup. "You can't come with me, baby, remember? Mama's just going away for a little while to make us some money. Will you ever forgive me?" Max pondered the thought then licked Ella's mouth, causing her to cringe and laugh. "I will miss you. But you're going to have a great time with Grandma." She set down her furry companion and caught sight of her cell phone that sat on top of her nightstand springing to life. The vibration caused the phone to fall to the floor and Ella sighed as she picked it up and pressed 'talk'.  "Hello?"

 

"You busy?"

 

Ella's eyes widened. "Jenn?"

 

"Hey," Jenn said softly.

 

"Um, hey," Ella mumbled. She looked at Max as he sniffed through her still open suitcase on her bed. After she swatted at him gently, he grabbed a pair of her pink cotton underwear with his teeth, settled into a corner of the bed, and began to nibble. "What's up?"

 

"Nothing," Jenn sighed. "I don't want this to be awkward, so can we skip the long, drawn-out apologies and go straight to the way it used to be?"

 

"Hmm," Ella grinned on her end of the line, yanking her underwear away from Max and pointed her finger at him sternly when he growled in protest. "I guess we could do that. But first--where the hell have you been?"

 

"Oh, here and there," Jenn replied in a sing-song voice. "I'm actually just getting home from a music video shoot." 

 

"Oh, yeah?" Ella sat on her bed, genuinely interested. She was near tears at the sound of her best friend's voice. Since the day of the audition where Ella won the spot on 'The Perfect Duet', Jenn had completely disappeared, never replying to Ella's e-mails or texts and never returning calls. When she drove by Jenn's apartment, it was always dark and uninviting. She was more than willing to just forget their spat and catch up on everything they'd missed.

 

"Yeah," Jenn replied. "Don't laugh, but I was just an extra in a Jonas Brothers video." She rolled her eyes when Ella laughed anyway. "I played a very excited fan. It was cool, they made me look like I was fifteen." After a few more moments of laughing and joking, Jenn informed Ella that she'd auditioned for a very small part in an upcoming indie flick and that if she got it, she'd only be within blocks of the mansion Ella would be living in while filming her show. "So, when do you leave? I was afraid I'd miss you before you left."

 

"Tomorrow actually," Ella sighed into her cell phone. She stared at Max as he slept peacefully on top of the pile of clothes in her open suitcase and felt a sudden tug of sadness. "Hey, why don't you come over? I need help packing."

 

"I’ll call a cab and be there in fifteen."

 


 

Liz rolled away from JC and let the sheets around her apply cool pressure to her hot and perspiring body. She sighed and smiled in content, her gaze lingering on her boyfriend's naked body next to her. "Baby, that was amazing," she said breathlessly.

 

JC hummed in agreement and he let his wondering hands rub the curves of Liz's side. "I'm going to miss this." Making love to his girlfriend was still electrifying to JC. She took control, and he liked that--a lot. As he watched her slip in and out of a sex-induced sleep, he thought about all the other women he'd be introduced to in the next couple days. Was he going to sleep with any of them? Was it even up to him anymore?

 

In meetings with production, they'd adamantly expressed that JC would need to inform them first before any trysts were to occur.  His girlfriend was calling the shots now. They'd been over it before--she directed JC to keep an open mind just like a natural bachelor, and promote a level of freedom that the single life provided. Invoke the persona that the audience was ready to watch. He could kiss the girls or cop a feel here and there. While that seemed like any guy's dream, JC couldn't help but feel that behaving in such a manner would blow up in his face.

 

However, JC was a guy. And deep down inside, like Justin said, he wanted to take advantage of the opportunity being presented to him. He was only human. JC watched Liz breathe deeply, finally asleep, and then he wasn't sure he was ready to be what the audience wanted. He sighed and rolled over, facing a bare wall in his bedroom as he tried to situate his thoughts.

 

He remembered who he was before Liz came along. He was the natural bachelor; he had little regard for the women he'd run through every weekend (and sometimes very successful weekdays) because he was always looking for the next best thing. Then he thought he found it with Liz. But now that all of this was happening, he wasn't so sure.  JC's last thought after awhile of reminiscing about the good ol' days was the last thing he felt he needed--finding true love with someone that wasn't Liz.

 
 

Ella was a sobbing mess by the time she had let go of Max and kissed her mom goodbye. She hopped in her car and nearly peeled out her already balding tires as she pulled onto the neighborhood streets, heading for Jenn’s apartment. She took in all the familiar stores and streets and mentally scolded herself for acting so dramatic. She was literally going 45 minutes away to Malibu. It was like a mini-vacation. Ella had finally gotten it together before she saw Jenn jog down the stairs and to the car, then she lost it again.

  

“G’morning, doll,” Jenn opened the door and cheerfully greeted her crying friend. When she heard the sobs escape Ella, her cheery grin went away and she slid into the passenger seat, immediately taking Ella’s shaking hands into her own. “What is wrong?”

  

“I’m so nervous!” Ella choked, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. “Damnit! And I’m fucking up my make-up.” She pulled down the visor and looked in the mirror, then let out another sob. “I look like shit!”

  

“Geez,” Jenn pulled out some Kleenex from her purse and began to dab at Ella’s face. “Pull it together, sister. This is not cute.”  After another minute of letting her cry it out, Jenn patted Ella’s knee. “Okay, what’s wrong with you? You were excited last night, you know? Ready for a change and such. What happened?”

  

“Nothing,” Ella insisted and took a deep breath.  “Well, it started off as just a small, nervous feeling in my gut. But then everything just went wrong. My blow dryer short-circuited so I had to use my mom’s busted one, then my outfit didn’t seem to fit me right, and so on.” She gazed down to her skinny-jeans that made her gasp for breath when she sat down, so she had to unbutton them. The silk, purple top that hugged her flattered her curves had a deodorant stain and she spilled hot sauce on it this morning when trying to cook herself breakfast. Her hair was straight but it was doing the frizz thing and Ella flat out felt uncomfortable in her own tanned skin. “And if I don’t take off these heels I’m going to fall and break my ankle.”

  

“You look amazing,” Jenn assured her, grabbing the tail of Ella’s blouse and began to rub it together with another section of the fabric, making the deodorant stain disappear almost instantly. Ella’s eyes lit up, amazed.  “It’s the oldest trick in the book.”

  

“Thanks.”

  

 “And I can’t see where the sauce fell on your shirt, so don’t point it out because only you can tell it’s there.” She strained her neck to see Ella’s shoes and nodded in approval. “Yeah, those shoes are hot. If you fall, baby you’ll look good on the way down.”

  

Ella grinned and blew her nose again. “I’m still just trying to register why I, an unemployed loser from L.A., was picked to be on TV. When I get there they’ll probably ask me to hold the microphone behind the scenes while all the hot girls get camera time.”  She took a deep breath and shook her head. “Should I really go through with this? What if, by some sense of insanity, the guy shows interest in me? What do I say to him? What can we even talk about? How I used to obsess about him when I was in high school?”

  

“That reminds me!” Jenn interrupted as she reached into her back jean pocket and pulled out a folded sheet of notebook paper that looked worn and yellowed. “I found this last night when I got home while going through my old yearbook.”  She handed it to Ella and stifled a giggle as she unfolded it and her jaw dropped. “Remember that?”

  

Ella groaned and felt a blush crawl up her neck as she read the old note dated on January 14th, 2000. It was a long letter to Jenn about the trivial things teenage girls write notes about, but it was signed Ella Chasez.  “Wow.”

  

“Yeah,” Jenn nodded and laughed. “Wow. You can keep that. Just don’t let JC see it.”  After another fit of laughter, Jenn cleared her throat and became serious. “Look, all these shows are pretty much the same. They’ve got everything pretty much scripted, except your real personality. Some people look like complete idiots when we watch them because that’s what they are.” She found Ella’s hand and squeezed it tight. “But that’s not who you are. You’re an awesome friend, someone I can really count on. And yeah, you’ve wondered off your path a time or two, but you’re human. A compassionate, beautiful and intelligent person. A catch. And I think anyone, even a celebrity on a cheesy dating show, can see that about you. Just be Ella.” She smirked and added, “Lopez. Just be Ella Lopez. Not Ella Chasez.”

  

“Just be me,” Ella smiled and after a moment she shifted the car into drive. “Take it or leave it.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are appreciated! Thanks :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love tvshowjc postsync jc justin