Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait! I promise I'll finish this story. I've got way too many good ideas for the plot to just let it float around in hiatusland. Life just gets crazy sometimes, y'know? :) Enjoy chapter 4.

 7 weeks earlier

 

Liz Sharp sat at the long wooden table and shuffled some paperwork into a large manila folder labeled 'Day 2'. On her left sat Mike Hopper, her sidekick and co-producer of 'The Pefect Duet' and on her right sat Roger Billups, a talent agent with a mediocre rap sheet of low-budget actors and reality show alumni. They sat in a cramped room with a three-man camera crew perched on stools in the corner. The recording equipment was directly across from the black tarp background beneath the spotlights where the women would answer questions asked by the three executives and were told they were being taped.

 

"Just a few more, boys," Liz snapped her gum and rubbed the back of her neck to smooth out her taut muscles. It'd been a long day already, and though she was for the most part still excited about the project, she was glad they were wrapping up the auditions. It had by far been the most exhausting part of the production.

 

She shook her head while remembering some of the crazy bitches that had come in yesterday and today. A man dressed up as a woman. A lady who had brought in her newborn and paused the audition so she could breast feed. Liz had to remind herself that it was illegal to beat the shit out of people, even people like the mother who were willing to leave her baby behind for months to be on a reality show.  It made her think twice about what she was doing sometimes, the kind of position she was putting her boyfriend in. In fact, many would say she was insane for dangling JC Chasez on a string like meat in a lion's den just to make a name for herself. It honestly didn't help her sleep well at night. But Liz Sharp was driven. She craved this. And JC could appreciate that. Or he seemed to. Their mutual understanding was all that mattered to Liz.

 

"Okay," Mike ran a hand through his bright red hair and rubbed his pale face with both hands. "Well then bring on the next one."

 

Roger picked up the receiver of their desk phone and advised whoever was on the other line to let in another girl. Picking up a pen, he scratched down a name on the notepad and passed it to Liz. "There's about a handful left outside," he said after hanging up the phone. "We've only got a spot left though, but I'd like to interview them all just to see if I can take any back to the agency."

 

"Fair enough," Liz nodded and read the name on the notepad aloud. "Ella Lopez?" She rolled back in her leather chair and opened the file cabinet beneath the desk, pulling out a drawer full of manila folders filed away alphabetically. When she couldn't find Ella Lopez's folder with her pre-written application she looked at Roger. "I didn't think we were still taking walk-ins after day one?"

 

"Me neither," Roger shrugged. He moved to pick up the phone but stopped when the door opened and in walked a young woman who looked as though she couldn't have been a day over 18. "Are you Ella Lopez?"

 

The girl coughed into her closed fist and nodded, looking terribly uncomfortable and not alone in thinking she might be in the wrong place. "Are these the auditions for the reality show?"

 

"Yes, honey," Mike smiled warmly. "But did you fill out the paperwork?"

 

"Yeah," Ella coughed again, the tips of her ears turning bright red. "The lady at the desk outside said I'd just have to fill this application out." She dropped the papers on the desk right in front of Liz without meeting anyone's eyes.

 

Liz smiled and asked Ella to stand in front of the black tarp. She motioned with her neck to the camera crew who'd taken interest in talking about last week's Raiders game. "Guys, let's get this rolling." They snapped back to the task at hand and one of the camera guys came out and put his hands on Ella's shoulders.

 

"Stand here," he commanded, rotating her stiff body to turn toward the camera. She nodded nervously and coughed again. Liz had a feeling it was a nervous habit. She took notes as Ella fidgeted and waited to be interviewed. She was a tall thing, probably right under the 6-foot tall mark. Her long, layered hair was dark brown with light blonde highlights that didn't look like they were paid for at a salon. Liz's head cocked to the left as she continued to study this hazel-eyed woman in front of her. She saw Mike and Roger staring at her very flattering curves as the camera man moved her around. If it weren't for the awkward way she wrapped her arms around her slim waist and slouched forward in self-consciousness, Ella would be the likes of a supermodel. This both intrigued and irritated Liz in ways she couldn't put her finger on just yet.

 

The camera man had finally given up on trying to straighten Ella's posture and returned to the corner where he signaled to Liz that they were rolling. When no one spoke, she turned to Mike and elbowed him in his rib when she saw he was too busy staring at Ella to start the interview. "Hi, Miss Lopez, my name is Liz Sharp. I'm the producer of the show and these are my colleagues Mike Hopper, who's also my co-producer, and Roger Billups of Show Stopper Entertainment, one of L.A.'s most prestigious talent scouting agencies." The three executives looked on as Ella nodded politely and remained silent. Liz had half-expected her start coming out of her shell when she mentioned Roger's talent agency, but she saw nothing.

 

"So," Roger began. "Have you ever had any acting lessons before, baby?"

 

"No," Ella shook her head and pondered the thought. "This is a reality show audition, right?"

 

Liz scoffed loudly.

 

"I can't act," Ella looked confused.

 

"And we don't expect you to," Mike smiled as Liz suppressed a yawn.

 

"So Ella," Mike continued, sensing Liz's sudden hostility. "Tell us about yourself." This girl had no spark. She was gorgeous, but if she wanted a chance, at this point, she'd have to pull a rabbit out of her ass.

 

The wheels in Ella's head seemed to start turning. She dropped her arms at her side and stood up straighter, looking Mike in the eye. "I'm 23 years-old and I've lived in L.A. my entire life. I'm a waitress sometimes and other times I'm looking for opportunities not to be a waitress. Which...brings me here."

 

"Would you say you're a drifter?" Mike asked, preparing to write down Ella's answer.

 

"Yeah," she nodded, smoothing a strand of hair behind her ear. "I get antsy if I stay in one place too long."

 

"So you're a commitment-phobe?" Liz suggested. She studied Ella's face as a very thin sheet of sweat formed on the young girl's forehead.

 

"No," Ella protested, her brow furrowed together as she suddenly remembered she was auditioning for a show about falling in love. "Well, when it comes to relationships, no. I just like to keep my life exciting." She realized Liz made her nervous. Her green eyes bore down on Ella in a way that made her feel less then able, and that really didn't sit well with her for some reason.

 

Roger picked up the opportunity to talk about Ella's love life. "Are you single, honey? A beautiful girl like you? You've gotta be taken." Liz's eyebrow rose. She knew mild flirtation and witty remarks were part of the process to get the girls talking, but she knew Roger was also taking this opportunity to hit on the poor girl.

 

"Single. Definitely single," Ella smiled for the first time since she walked in the room.

 

"When was your last meaningful relationship?"

 

"Oh," Ella calculated in her head. "It had to be about 3 years ago. His name was Ray, and we had been together since our freshman year in high school." Ella watched all three of the interviewers scribble down notes. "We were talking marriage, kids, the whole-nine yards. But after high school and no college offers, Ray had a bad drug habit and got a kick out of shoving me into walls, so that ended. Badly." A sour taste formed in Ella's mouth and swallowed hard; she wasn't sure why she had spilled so much so quickly.

 

Mike and Roger nodded sympathetically as Liz sat in the middle, stone-faced.

 

"But I'm past that and I came out a stronger person," Ella continued, trying to ignore Liz's stare. "I came here hoping maybe I could find a love that will fit me. A caring man who understands me and a man who I can see the world with."

 

"A man with money?" Liz quipped. Not even she could put a finger on why this child rubbed her the wrong way.

 

"I don't mean I'm a gold digger," Ella protested. Liz could tell she was rubbing Ella the same way. "I just want someone I can be myself with, and I’ve got a lot of living to do."

 

"Of course," Mike agreed, bumping his toe into Liz's ankle. "Well, as you know, JC is a world-famous entertainer. He has sold millions of records with 'Nsync and still is very active in the music business today. We just want to make sure that, for his safety, the girls we bring in are here for love." 

 

"I understand," Ella folded her arms across her chest. "And that is why I'm here." In all honesty, Ella wasn't sure why she was there. She felt out of place and her flaws felt magnified under the bright light. Roger, who was studying her like she was the centerfold of a magazine, was beginning to give her the creeps, and she knew Mike was full of shit about the whole love thing. Anyone could see these 'reality shows' were anything but real. And most of all, she was beyond irritated with the uptight beauty queen sitting between the two men in front of her. Liz was looking at Ella like a bug that needed to be exterminated. And months from now, Ella would remember this moment, almost in spite of the total stranger Liz Sharp was to her, as the reason she told the lie that got her the spot on 'The Perfect Duet'. "I'm here for the love of JC Chasez. And I can't wait to prove it to him." 

 

After a few more minutes of talking about what the show would entail: physical and mental competitions and co-habitating with almost 20 other women as well as JC, the three interviewers asked for a few minutes of privacy to deliberate. Ella excused herself and stepped outside of the room. She found a bare wall to lean against in the empty hallway. She felt light-headed and anxious. To the left were a pair of metal doors and a bright red exit sign above them. Knowing her car was parked only a couple yards away, Ella thought about running. Just like any other situation where she was uncomfortable, she could run away and not look back.

 

But an image of Liz Sharp appeared in her mind. That woman almost seemed to want to run Ella out of there, making side-remarks about any answers she'd give and rolling her eyes every chance she got. And whenever Mike had mentioned JC, Ella caught the way Liz suddenly became very taught and high-strung, as if mentioning the star of the show plucked her jealousy chord.

 

So running away would not be an option, Ella decided. She wouldn't let a woman who was nearly a foot shorter than her break her down. Even with her platinum blonde hair and perfectly tanned skin that made her look more like a runner-up for Miss California then a hack-job TV producer. No, she wouldn't intimidate Ella. And just as she had mentally toughened her skin, Ella turned back into jello when Roger stuck his head out of the door and grinned widely. "We're ready for you, girl." She followed him back in with a timid smile, not knowing what to expect when she stepped back under the spotlights.

 

As Mike gave Ella a standard "welcome aboard" greeting and quickly went through her schedule for the next two months, Liz sunk deeper into her chair. For fifteen minutes she tried to convince Mike that Ella had no character, she was like a lump on a log, but Mike and Roger had their minds made up. Roger babbled on about how her "legs went on for days" and Mike even had the nerve to say that he thought JC would "appreciate how down-to-earth she seems."

 

"Wow, that seems very insightful," Liz nodded sarcastically. "Being that you're JC's girlfriend and you know what he likes." She rolled her eyes as Mike clicked his tongue in annoyance.

 

"Look," he tried another angle. "All I'm saying is we've got about our share of actresses, our share of bimbos, and our share of trouble-starters in the house. I really think that we can take this girl, our hometown girl, all the way."

 

"I'm thinking dramatic finish," Roger added, mirroring Mike's enthusiasm. "It's Ella and another girl, Jace chooses the other girl, America is outraged, and bam -- spinoff."

 

Mike pointed at Roger and gave Liz an incredulous look. "Exactly. She just needs some coaching, and she'll be America's reality sweetheart in no time."

 

And Liz knew then and there it wasn't just up to her. She had to bend and be flexible for the good of the show. Ella was now joining the cast and would be competing for a chance to win JC's "love".

 

In moments like this, Liz would reassure herself that it was just a show and that no one was really walking away with her boyfriend at the end of this circus besides her. And Liz was always right.

 


 

 

Day One.

 

 

JC opened his front door to see his driver and security guard Ace standing on his porch. "Hey, guys," he greeted them with a yawn. "Sorry about that."

 

"I feel your pain," Ace laughed and shook JC's hand. "This is Jerry, the driver."

 

"Hello, Mr. JC," Jerry said with a thick Spanish accent. "Your bags?"

 

"Hey, man," JC smiled gratefully and pointed at a couple suitcases waiting on the marble tile of his foyer. "I just have a few things that I’m taking, but me and the big guy will help you out." He motioned toward Ace, a large and menacing figure who'd been JC's friend and bodyguard for about 6 years now. He was great for appearances of course, with his tough exterior and Italian accent that made him seem like a muscle for the mob, but JC knew when he wasn't his bodyguard, Ace couldn't squash a roach without feeling bad.

 

"So are you ready?" Ace asked JC after he locked up his house and walked down the steps to the running limo.

 

"Are you?" JC challenged. "In case you forgot, you're stuck in the mansion with me, too."

 

"Oh, I'm just heartbroken," Ace rolled his eyes. JC laughed at his friend, getting a kick out of his accent; when Ace said heartbroken it sounded like 'haht-broken.'

 

"I'm gonna be living with a bunch of gorgeous girls in a big house and I'll be on TV," Ace continued as Jerry finished putting the bags in the trunk and they all piled into the car. "I'm freakin' overjoyed. Why the hell aren't you over the moon?"

 

"I am, man," JC tried his best to smile and hide his anxiety. "So is Sonia 'overjoyed', too?"

 

The mention of Ace's wife was enough to wipe the goofy grin off his face. "She's freakin' ecstatic. Yeah, real funny, Boss." He gave JC a playful shove as they continued to chatter about the grief Sonia had been giving Ace for months since she found out where his job was taking him next.

 

A short time later, Jerry had slowed into a gated community and buzzed in at the call box right in front of the entrance.

 

"Well, well, well," Ace cocked his head to out of the open limo window to get a better view of the houses in the neighborhood. "Check out these digs. They're like ten times bigger than your shack, Boss."

 

"Hmm," JC put down the Sports Illustrated magazine and lowered his sunglasses in time to see the large mansion at the end of a dead end street. When Jerry pulled into the driveway, JC's stomach began to flip incessantly. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

 

"What?" Ace whipped his head around and prepared to deflect anything that JC might throw up.

 

Before JC could elaborate a shrill ring and buzzing from his pocket interrupted him. He grabbed his iPhone from his pocket and saw Liz's face on the screen. He cleared his throat and answered. "Hey, babe."

 

"Hello, Mr. Chasez, how are you feeling this morning?" The cold hint of professionalism in her voice gave JC the feeling she was in front of the camera crew or the cast of girls, or both. They had discussed the fact that they could not give off any indication of their relationship once the show began to tape in fear that the reputation (and Liz's career) could be tarnished. No one knew, except for the VH1 team and Mike, the co-producer, that JC and Liz were together. Or used to be. JC just couldn't be sure anymore. He sighed into the receiver and decided that for the show, it was time to let go and get into character. "I'm doing well, Miss Sharp. We just arrived at the house."

 

"Great," Liz replied. "Glad you're there. Well, make yourself at home. The cast will not be arriving until the late afternoon--I want to say around four?" She got the nod of approval from Mike and a few other people from VH1 who were going over the script for episode one. "I have two assistants waiting for you in the house and they'll show you where your room is and whatnot. Please feel free get unpacked and we look forward to seeing you at the house later tonight."

 

"Thanks Miss Sharp. I'll see you later."

 

"Thank you, Mr. Chasez, and again, thank you so much for the opportunity. We can't wait to see how this pans out."

 

"Me, too," JC sighed and hung up. He looked at Ace who was giving him a questioning look. "It's show time."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love tvshowjc postsync jc justin