Author's Chapter Notes:

I really think I have a problem. I can't write a chapter that is emotional and not cry reading the lines over and over again.

I started writing this section this morning and the words just kinda flowed out. Anyways... here is the next section.

 

"Emily, honey... Emily..."

            I hear the voice but there is no way I am actually hearing it. The voice I know very distinctively. I turn my head quick to see if there was someone behind me. Maybe there was someone in this apartment that I wasn't aware of. There was nothing. I must have just imagined hearing the sound of her voice. I have got to be going crazy...

"Where are you Em?"

            I heard it again. I knew that this time I wasn't imagining it. I jumped to my feet and ran out of the bedroom heading towards the kitchen. The open floor plan of this apartment makes it easy to scope out most of the apartment with one glance.

            There was no one. The apartment was empty. Really empty. The move crew came this morning and moved most of the boxes. The only thing that was left was furniture I was leaving behind for Lexie and personal things that I was going to take myself. Shaking it off I continue to pack up the most precious things I own. My mother's belongings. The only items I ever kept. The ones that meant the most to her.

            Until now I haven't opened and looked at the contents of this box. I could never handle the fact that this was all I had left of her. Holding in my hand, the one thing she always had with her. She said that it was her good luck charm. A ring that she always wore... there was never a day that I can remember her not wearing it, expect the day she died. I didn't even notice that she wasn't wearing it. It became one of those things that it was so common to see it you didn't even see it anymore. I found it weeks later on the kitchen counter next to a post it that said, "I promise I will be on time." A note that she had left for me when she left for work that morning. I rub my thumb over the indentation in the paper that the pen made with her perfect cursive handwriting. If I wouldn't have been in such of a black hole the weeks and months that followed her death I would have made sure she had that ring with her, for eternity. But maybe I was supposed to have it.

            A picture that was taken of us at the event party the night she died was too much to handle. I had been given this photo and I tucked it away not want to see it and to this day, I can't look at it. She really was someone that I never wanted to part with. I missed her more everyday that passed. I placed the top back on the box and placed it on the floor.

 "Emily honey... Em where are you?"

            A chill runs down my spine as I hear that again in my head... it had to be in my head. How else would I be hearing my mother calling out to me? I need to sleep. I had been up for nearly twenty four hours. I needed to sleep or a mental evaluation.

 

"Em... "

            I close my eyes hoping that the voice stops. That whatever this cruel world was doing to me would just stop.

"Em... "

            I know that I'm not a sane person by any means of the word but I knew that I was hearing her voice. It was clear as if she was standing next to me. Knowing I wasn't going to get any sleep with all these thoughts running non-stop through my head I decide that this is pointless. I sit up too quick because I could have sworn I saw my mother standing right in front of me. I close my eyes and begin to rub the temples on my forehead.

What was wrong with me today?

 

"Em... quit being so stubborn and look up at me. Don't over analyze anything just listen to me..."

I really was officially crazy now. Justin Timberlake was about to marry crazy girl. Certifiably crazy. The voice wouldn't stop though. The vision of my mother standing at the edge of my bed has to be a sure sign of it.

"Em, I have missed the warmth of your smile. I miss the sound of your laugh. I miss your scent. I miss everything about you. My darling daughter I will be here waiting every day until forever if I have to..." she laughed. Her laugh was something I missed terribly. "You don't think he came up with that all on his own did you? Ok so maybe he did, but it's the exact thing I wanted to say to you. He is just better with words than I ever was..."

Tears are steaming down my face. I wanted to believe she was there. I wanted to believe she has ‘come to me' and she was here to tell me something... "How? Why?..." I asked.

 

"You think things through too much my darling Em. I need you to know that I'm ok. I'm better than okay, I'm happy. I'm happy that I get to see you truly happy. I get to see you with the love of your life. He is a great man. You chose well. But things are going to change, there is going to be a change. I need you to be ready for it and I need you to stand next to the man that has falling madly in love with you. He is a great man. He loves you. Remember that. Emily. Remember that he loves you and you will get through anything if you stand next to each other."

I shake my head at her, what was she talking about?

"I know you have a very rough time with this. I know that you have beat yourself up about the way things ended up that night on the way home but I need you to know that this was just the way life was supposed to happen. Everything happens for a reason. You were supposed to continue with your life, you have so much life left to live. Remember nothing is impossible. The one thing you thought was never a possibility is closer than you think. Look at the picture Em... look at it closely. I love you my darling daughter, I have to soar now..."

What picture? What was she talking about?

 

"Mom!" I screamed as I exhaled a deep breath and sat up straight on the bed. I was dreaming. Phew.

 

Just then I heard my phone ringing. I couldn't even think straight when I answered the phone.

"He-llo." I said.

"Hey babe, I just landed... I should be there in about twenty minutes... do you want me to pick up some dinner since we have a lot to get finished tonight?"

I still not really focusing on what he was saying... I had her words running through my mind.

Look at the picture Em... look at it closely.

"Em. Are you there?  Do you want me to get dinner?" he asked.

I snap out of that zone, "Yes. Dinner is fine."

"Em honey what's wrong?" He asked, worried.

"I... I just had the weirdest dream..."

"Was it about some nerdy hot guy getting the smokin' hot girl to move in together?"

"Funny Justin... no"

"What was it about  babe?"

"My mother..."

"Oh." He said a little scared to ask anything else.

"She was trying to tell me something... but in so many words..."

"Was she warning you of something?"

"Yes... something about you actually... she just kept saying something is going to change but never saying if it was good or bad..."

"Maybe she was just saying that this move and this marriage is a good thing."

"Maybe... It's just..." I started to cry even more.

"Babe, don't cry. I'm on my way." He says.

"I have never dreamed of her... not since she died."

"She was just trying to tell you she was ok... that everything is fine."

I wipe the tears that are running down my face, "She sounded worried..." Stand next to the man that has falling madly in love with you.

"I will be there in just a couple minutes. We can order a pizza or something..."

"Justin... I'm fine. This is just a lot to take in. Get whatever you want for dinner... I will be here waiting. How was your trip? Everything turn out okay?"

"If that's what you want, it's fine with me.... Everything went fine in New York... just work. Getting ready for everything that is about to happen."

Trying not to think about anything I continue a conversation about work. "Your schedule is about to get extremely busy. We need to talk about that as well when you get home."

"I don't know what I'm going to do being on tour without you." I could see him with his lower lip puckered up pouting.

"Yea, that's going to be an issue for us both. We need to discuss it." I said, knowing exactly what I wanted to do.

"Ok, I will see you in a few minutes..."

           

 

            Her words wouldn't stop running through my head. She has said so much in just a few sentences... I couldn't help but be stuck on this photo. What photo was she talking about? I lifted the lid back off the box to reveal the photo I haven't been able to look at.

I held onto it with the tightest grip. Staring at her beautiful eyes, the way her hair fell into her face, her flawless skin, and the pure joy on her face. The dress she had chosen was the most elegant dress I had ever seen and it look stunning on her. She was glowing from excitement of the night. She and I were standing next to each other, posing for the picture.

I pulled the image closer to me. Who was standing behind me, between my mother and me? There was someone standing there that I had never noticed before. We stood there for at least ten minutes trying to take that picture. That face was someone I knew very well.

 Just feet behind me stood Justin Timberlake, looking directly into the camera and smiling like he belonged in the picture. The tears start to fall like a dam had been let loose. There was a picture of my mother, myself, and my future husband. A picture that I never thought was ever possible.

Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? Am I crazy or it is just Emily haha


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story