Chapter 6

“They are going to love you. Just like I love you.” He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. We sat outside his mother’s house until I was ready to go. I shook my head and finally unlatched my seat belt.

“But Steven...” I said stepping out onto the pavement from his big truck. I closed the door only to reach back and try to open it again, but he beat me to the auto door lock this time. “Fine…” I mumbled and met him in front of the truck. He held my hand as we walked up the walkway.

“DADDY!” Brianna yelled rushing out the door and into his arms.

“CUPCAKE! How are you baby?” He scooped Brianna up in his arms, I smiled and glanced up the walkway to the front door and saw Kim disappear into the house.

Yeah, it’s going to be fine… great… lies all lies.

I trailed behind him into the house, I slipped the coat off and stood against the wall and could feel the heat well up in my cheeks.  It was suddenly really hot and all I wanted to do was just go outside and wait for him.

“MOM! Come here!” Joey grabbed my hand and dropped my coat on the pile that gathered on the bench in the front. “Mom, come here I want you to meet someone.” I held his hand tightly, swallowing the lump in my throat and he stood there, proud smile on his face his right hand covering my ring.

“Joey!” Phyllis threw her arms around him and pulled him closer to her, he held my hand but wrapped his arm around her waist to pick her up. “Oh! Stop, put me down.” She laughed and the warmth of it filled the house. She finally looked at me and her face looked just like Joey’s, it was like happiness exuded 24/7. I smiled and reached out with my right hand, she bypassed me and gave me a hug.

“I have heard so much about you.” She smiled and I watched her make the quick glance to my left hand, she didn’t say anything and kept smiling. “Come on let’s go into the kitchen, I want to know all about you two.” She guided us into the kids and shooed away the kids that were hungry and had gathered around the stove to pick at whatever was ready.

It was like when we were kids, and our only biggest worry was if we could get to stay up late.

“So?” She asked her hands on her chest and the smile was broad.

“I asked her… she said yes.” He moved his hand; she looked at my finger and grabbed his hand.

“Baby, I’m so happy for you. You, I know we just met but Joey’s been going on about you for years. I’m so glad fate somehow saw that you two met again.” I could see the red rims around her eyes; it was so odd, so familiar. The same look Tony’s mother gave me…

No! Joey… Tony’s gone, you have a good future.

“Thank you.” I whispered, she backed away and I saw she sensed something.

“Go check on Brianna; give me sometime to get to know my new daughter in law.” She waited while Joe kissed me and then shooed him out of the kitchen.

“So I’ve heard about Tony, I need to tell you, I think you two really helped each other. He was really ready to be with Jessica and when she passed it was unexpected and he couldn’t cope but he found what he needed in you, and his daughter. Kim has her issues, but as long as my Joseph is happy, I’m happy, you’re going to be welcomed honey, relax.” She patted my hand and I could feel the heat lifting slowly, I felt optimistic for the first time.

 

We started carrying plates an bowls full of food while the family gathered around the table, I sat next to Joey who sat closest to his father I assume to tell everyone at the table at once, that we were getting married.

“No! I wanna sit next to daddy.” Brianna stomped her foot.

“No baby, there’s no room.” I saw her glare at me but she said nothing.

“Come on baby, you can sit with me.” Joey waved his hand and she bounded her way down to him and jumped into his lap. I smiled while she shared her crayons with me.

“All right let’s bow our heads and give thanks.” His father sat at the head of the table and bowed his head.

BANG!

Everyone looked up.

“Hey! Did you guys start already? Lessie went home instead-“ Steven stopped short, Lance trailed behind him and shot Joey an apologetic look while he slipped out of his jacket. I glance at Joey and could see the veins starting to stand up on his neck. “Oh it’s her.” I looked at Kim who sneered at me.

“Steven.” Phyllis said sternly and shot him a look that would have stopped me.

“No, sorry, mom. I’ll just sit down here.” He pulled a chair up to the table and sat next to Kim.

Joey’s dad looked around and bowed his head again, the prayer was said but no one spoke while the food was passed around the table.

“Mari, what’s that?” Brianna touched my finger lightly over the stone and stared at it.

“I wanted to wait for a better time… but I guess now is as good as any. I have- me and Marisol have decided to get married. We’re engaged.” I heard the gasp from Kim and heard Steven mumble.

“Better get a pre-nup Joe, don’t know where she’s going to go next.” Steven said with a mouthful of potatoes reaching for the bread.

“Brianna, go upstairs. Kids you too.” Joey said nodding towards the kids table that sat off to the side of the group. The kids shot up and ran out of the room.

“We’re not doing this, you came out of habit but no one invited you, I had today planned and your ruining it.” Joey stood up and pointed at Steven. The heat came back in my cheeks and without knowing it I came to be the center of attention in a bad way.

“I should go.” I backed away from the table. Joey shot me a serious look.

“No baby don’t go.” He reached for me but I backed away from him.

“No, babe. It’s fine, thank you so much for the invitation.” I stopped up and he reached for me again. I backed off again this time he was startled, I wasn’t one to back away from him twice. “I’ll see you at home… please don’t make me stay.”

“Yeah man. Don’t make her stay.” Steven sneered at the end of the table the look made me want to jump over the table. I backed away and could hear Joey start to yell at Steven. I walked out of the house with my jacket in hand. I slipped the jacket over my arms and walked down the walkway quickly. I stopped at the end to light a cigarette but continued to move after that. I looked up to see a car starting; the black Lincoln lurched forward but stopped slowly.

I walked swiftly it seemed like the right thing to do, something was drawing me towards the car. It rushed to the end of the block and turned around to face me. I stood on the curb and watched the car that faced me, I could see through the window and it looked like…

No…

I backed away from the curb and my mouth dropped open.

I am insane…

I turned around while the car took off down the road passed me I could swear it was Tony driving.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey