"Bullshit!" Chris exclaimed as he looked at Kristen--her words seeming to hang in the air between them.  "Now, who's lying?" He teased with a chuckle.  What else was he supposed to do with that?  The only reaction he had was to laugh.  He knew she couldn't be serious.  "Look," he said, still chuckling.  "If you don't want to go out, just say so.  I'm a big boy, I can handle it."

"I'm not lying." She replied softly as she stood there looking at him, her eyes meeting his. 

The smile slowly left his face and Chris felt his brows furrow in confusion as he stared at her.  He didn't want to believe the truth he was seeing in her eyes but the honesty behind her words and expression couldn't be denied.  He watched as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--waiting for his reaction--and his heart dropped to the pit of his stomach.  Married?  He thought.  How could she be married?  She lived alone.  In a one bedroom apartment.  He'd been there!  His eyes dropped down to the hand that was still resting on his arm--her left hand--and noticed the obvious absence of a wedding ring.  "What do you mean, you're married?" He asked, finally finding his voice.   

"I--" she began, but the ding of the elevator as it stopped and the doors opened cut her off.  She dropped her hand from his arm as she looked at the people waiting to get on then back at him.  "I can't talk about this here." She whispered out of the side of her mouth before she took a step and walked out of the elevator. 

Chris stood there for a moment then quickly took off after her.  He wasn't about to let her go without an explanation.  After the spell she'd cast on him last weekend and all the time he'd spent consumed with thinking about her, it was the least she could do.  Kristen continued walking down the hospital corridor a step or two ahead of him and he let her do so--expecting her to stop and turn around at any moment.

But she didn't.

Finally, unable to stand it any longer, he hurried his step and reached out.  Grabbing a hold of her arm he stopped her.  Kristen turned quickly to look at him but he was busy looking around them to see her questioning expression.  Spotting what he was looking for, Chris pulled her into the nearest--and conveniently empty--room, ignoring her words of protest.  Kristen looked at him in shock as he shut the door and left her standing in front of the closed door--facing him.  He dropped her arm.

"Start talking." He said.  She stood there in silence, her brown eyes looking everywhere but at him.  Chris felt his frustration levels rising.  "You know..." he chuckled.  He looked down at the floor as he shook his head.  His hands fisted at his side.  I'm an idiot.  He thought.  Why did I think...

He looked back up at her and met her brown eyes with his.  "I spent all week last week trying to convince myself that what happened last weekend between us wasn't a fluke." He stepped towards her and she backed away from him-her back hitting the closed door.  He closed the distance between them and heard her breath catch as he stood, inches away from her.  "I was beginning to think..." he paused as he looked at her, his eyes running over her features-from her incredible eyes to her beautiful mouth.  He leaned forward slightly and she closed her eyes, her lips parting slightly in anticipation.  "Guess the joke's on me." He stated as he pulled back from her.  Her eyes shot open.  "And I guess I finally have my answer."

~~~~~~~~~

"Chris, wait." Kristen said, reaching out to him as he stepped away from her.  She swallowed--trying to push aside the butterflies that had swarmed inside of her when he had pressed her back against the door a moment ago-l-ooking like he had every intention on kissing her.  "Can we...can we not do this here?" She asked.  He sighed and looked down at the floor again, shaking his head.  "Okay, look." She said, a sense of panic enveloping her.  She didn't know why she'd just blurted out her marital status to him-aside from the guilt that had been eating her alive the last week-and she wished she could go back in time and stop herself from saying anything but, the cat was out of the bag now and he was waiting for an explanation.  She could see the hurt and confusion in his eyes and she wanted to do whatever she could to change that.  "Yes." She said, in exasperation.  "I'm married." She told.  "Technically."

"Technically?" He asked, raising one brow at her. 

She sighed.  "I came home one day and...found him in bed with my best friend." She told him, folding her arms across her chest and looking down at the floor.  "I've been trying for the last six months to divorce him but for some reason I don't understand he's fighting me on every request and dragging this whole process out to the point where I'm up to my eyeballs in debt because of the damn attorney fees and I can't get rid of the bastard!"  She exclaimed as she let out a growl of frustration.  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to get control of her sudden emotional outburst.  She hadn't expected the anger to overwhelm her like it had.  "I'm sorry." She said shaking her head.  "I'm sorry."  She pulled all of the courage she could from within and braved looking up at him. She met his eyes but his expression was unreadable and she didn't know what was worse--having him look at her in hurt and confusion, or having him look at her with no emotion whatsoever in his eyes. 

"I dated, married and lived with a man for five years only to find out he'd been lying to me the whole time and I had no idea who he really was.  He cheated on me the entire time we were together and I have no idea why he even married me in the first place."  She took a step towards him, feeling a spark of hope when he didn't retreat but instead stayed where he was.  "Last weekend wasn't a fluke." She told him.  "At least...I hope it wasn't.  I didn't call you back not because I don't want to see you again but because I was mad at you for leaving like you did and also because you don't want to get mixed up in my crazy life right now."  He opened his mouth but Kristen hurried on before he could say anything.  "I can't guarantee or promise anything right now, Chris.  I'm in the middle of a very messy and expensive divorce and I have no idea how long it's going to be until it's final and I'm single again and able to be in a relationship with someone else.  I also don't want to be in another relationship where lies are told and secrets are kept and I have been feeling guilty all week about not telling you from the beginning that I was married and for doing exactly what my husband did.  I'm sorry." She apologized.  "It's just that...everything happened and I...I found myself forgetting all about the drama going on in my life and I ignored the fact that I shouldn't have done what I did."  She paused and a heavy silence fell between them. 

After waiting for him to say something Kristen took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and held out her hand to him.  "With that all being said," she began hesitantly.  "If the offer is still open and if you can accept the fact that we can only be friends for the time being..." she paused again.  Her heart was pounding and she wished he would give some indication as to what his thoughts were at the moment.  She didn't know if her outburst of honesty was helping or hindering whatever it was they had going on together.  "Then I would love to go to the game with you on Thursday." She smiled tremulously at him and waited for his answer.   

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood, looking at Kristen as she waited for his response.  Whatever it was he had been expecting her to say, what she'd just told him hadn't been it.  His earlier anger and frustration at her melted as she stood looking at him--the vulnerability in her eyes and the courage it must have taken to tell him all of that raising his opinion of her.  To be going through what she was currently going through and yet show no outward appearance of it?  That was pretty amazing.  She was pretty amazing.  His eyes dropped from her face to the hand she still held out to him--waiting for him to either take it and accept her conditions or walk away from her. 

It only took him a second to decide. 

Reaching out her took her hand and pulled her towards him.  She was clearly surprised by his actions and stiffened slightly as he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her close.  "I'm sorry." He said, the words muffled slightly as he turned his head slightly and spoke against her hair. 

Kristen relaxed in his arms and his heart skipped slightly as she leaned against him and put her arms around him, returning the hug.  She released what sounded like a sigh of relief and he tightened his arms slightly.  Though there had been an undeniable attraction and sexual tension between them from the moment they'd met the physical contact they were sharing now held none of that.  Sure, he was still insanely attracted to this woman and wanted nothing more than to shove her back against the wall and pick up where they'd left off last Saturday, but what was overriding his lustful thoughts and desires at the moment was his sudden overwhelming need to comfort her.  How long had it been since someone had just given her a hug?  Told her everything was going to be okay?  Offered a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear? 

He understood now the sadness and look of hopelessness he'd seen in her eyes in the parking lot that first day and wondered who this jackass was that was her husband.  How could anyone treat the person they were with like he had been treating Kristen?  He may be a confirmed bachelor, and dead set against ever getting married, but there was one thing Chris had always stood firm on: love the one you're with.  Completely and without reservation.  He didn't understand how people could cheat on their significant others.  He particularly didn't understand how anyone could cheat on the woman in his arms.  He'd only gotten a small taste of what being with her was like and it blew his mind that someone would feel the need and desire to look anywhere else for what she was willing to give. 

Kristen pulled back a moment later and looked at him.  "Thanks." She said with a small smile.  "I needed that." She said in reference to the hug he'd given her. 

Chris smiled.  "Anytime you need another one, let me know."

"Okay." She nodded.  "So, what time should I be ready on Thursday?" She asked.

"Well that depends." He replied.  "Do you want to do dinner before or after the game?"

"What time does it start?" She asked as she turned and opened the door. 

"Six." He answered as he followed her out of the room.   

"Why don't we eat after the game?" She said.  "That is...if you aren't completely embarrassed about being with me." She chuckled.

"Embarrassed?" He asked.  "Why the hell would I be embarrassed to be with you?"

"You haven't ever seen me at a sporting event." She told him as she tucked some hair behind her ear.  "None of my friends will go with me anymore." She confessed.   "I get a little carried away sometimes."

Chris laughed.  "You may end up being the one embarrassed Thursday night." He warned.  "There's a reason I seldom actually go to games anymore and watch them at home instead."  Kristen chuckled again and he grinned at her.  She stopped walking and he was surprised to realize they were back at the front reception/waiting area where they'd started a few hours ago.  "That's it?" He asked feeling disappointed.  "The tour's over?"

"Afraid so." She nodded.  "You've seen the entire hospital, Mr. Kirkpatrick." She told him as she clasped her hands in front of her.  "What did you think?"

"I think it's great." He told her, his eyes holding hers steadily.  She smiled.  "I'm glad I came."

"Me too." She replied with a nod of her head.  They stood there for a moment.  "Okay," she said, finally breaking the silence.  "I...should probably get back to work." She told him. 

"Right." He nodded. 

"But I'll see you on Thursday." She continued and he grinned.

"I'll pick you up at five." He told her and she nodded.  He then hesitantly turned and began walking towards the front doors.  Before leaving he looked over his shoulders and smiled when he found Kristen still standing where he'd left her.  She smiled at him and he turned back around--a definite spring to his step and a goofy grin plastered on his face.  He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt like this and he prayed Thursday would get here quickly.  He couldn't wait to see her again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen nervously checked her reflection in the mirror one last time as she waited for Chris to arrive Thursday night.  She ran her fingers through her hair and tugged on the jersey she was wearing over her white T-shirt.  She smiled.  "Hope he doesn't mind walking in with me wearing this." She laughed to herself as she turned and left the bathroom.  She walked into her room and was just putting on her favorite pair of tennis shoes when she heard a knock at her door.  Her heart leapt in her chest and began fluttering nervously as she finished tying her shoes and walked towards the front door. 

Ever since he'd left the hospital Monday morning Kristen hadn't been able to stop smiling and she had anxiously waited for this evening to come--sometimes fearing it wouldn't.  She hadn't expected to tell Chris everything she had, or expected him to react the way that he had.  She still got tingly remembering the hug he had given her and the way it had felt to have him hold her--to feel the sense of comfort she had gained from it.  She had been in his arms before but this time it had been different.  She knew he wasn't expecting anything from the contact and had given her the hug as a friend, which was something she desperately needed at the moment.  She had forgotten what this felt like--to have a guy actually be more interested in and concerned about her rather than himself.  Reaching the door she opened it and smiled when her eyes met his.  Her heart which had been beating steadily since he'd knocked seemed to double its pace when he grinned back at her, his brown eyes sparkling.  He groaned when his eyes left hers and he noticed the Chicago Bulls jersey she was wearing. 

"You just had to, didn't you?" He asked as she opened the door wider and he took a step inside the apartment. 

Kristen laughed as she walked over to the kitchen table to grab her purse and her keys.  "Of course!" She exclaimed.  "You really didn't expect anything less, did you?" She teased as she turned to face him again.  Damn he looked good!  She took a moment to take him in.  A comfortable looking pair of worn jeans, a simple white T-shirt underneath the unbuttoned, blue plaid shirt, the couple of silver chain necklaces and the ever present earrings he wore, his dark hair spiked and gelled to perfection.  She had to stop herself from sighing in appreciation.  She'd never thought of herself as being the kind of girl who was attracted to the "bad boy/rocker" type but here she stood--three feet away from one very sexy "bad boy" and she was about two seconds away from forgetting about the game and the condition she'd given him that they could only be friends for the time being. 

"You ready?" He asked.

You have no idea. Kristen groaned at his innocently posed question.  Her stomach quivered as he looked at her-as suspicious gleam in his eyes as if he knew where her thoughts were.  A smile played at the corners of his mouth as he watched her and Kristen felt a blush creep across her cheeks.  She cleared her throat and slung her purse over her shoulder.  "Ready." She smiled.  He turned and held his arm out towards the still open front door.  Kristen walked outside, waited for him to join her on the front step then closed the door and locked it.  They walked down the stairs--Chris asking her how her day had gone and Kristen filling him in on all the stupid and mundane tasks she'd done all day until they got to the parking lot.

"Are you kidding me?" Kristen asked as Chris continued walking towards the sleek silver and black Harley Davidson sitting where she had expected his Escalade to be.

"What?" He asked turning to look at her in question. 

A motorcycle?!  Is he doing this on purpose?  She wondered.  "Where's your car?" She asked him as he picked up the helmet that had been sitting on the seat. 

"This girl ran into it in the parking lot at the grocery store a few weeks ago." He replied evenly as he held the helmet out to her.  "I'm stuck with this while it's in the shop."  He looked at her straight faced but she could see the mischievous sparkle in his eyes and couldn't help from smiling.

"That's a lie." She stated as she walked towards him.  She laughed.  "I know you have at least one other car.  I've ridden in it, remember?"  He shrugged as a smile finally spread across his face.  Kristen stood--just looking at him for a moment--then with a sigh and a roll of her eyes she lifted the strap of her purse over her head so it was now resting across her chest and took the helmet from him.  Chris winked at her as he moved to straddle the Harley.  "You're making this very difficult." She muttered under her breath as he brought the bike to life. 

"What was that?" He asked her, speaking loudly above the noise of the motorcycle. 

"Nothing." Kristen shook her head as she put on the helmet he'd given her.

"Hop on." He said, gesturing with his head towards the small spot behind him where she was supposed to sit.  Kristen's heart fluttered in her chest as she did as he requested-her arms instinctively sliding around his waist as he walked the bike backwards out of the parking spot.  I've died.  She thought as she moved closer to him.  She let out a little laugh and clutched onto him tighter as they took off-leaving the parking lot of her apartment complex behind and moving down the street.  I've died and gone to heaven.               

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you see that last play?" Kristen exclaimed as they left the Amway Arena.  "Did you see it?!"

"Yeah, I saw it." Chris grumbled good-naturedly.  He looked over at her.  "You can stop gloating now."

"No, I don't think I can." Kristen replied with a laugh.  "That was amazing!  Double overtime, five seconds to go and Rose shot that last three-pointer right at the buzzer! That deserves at least another good ten minutes of gloating." She giggled.

Chris rolled his eyes as he shifted the helmet he was holding to his other hand and slung his arm around her shoulders--pulling her close.  She looked up at him with a huge smile on her face--her brown eyes sparkling excitedly--and he laughed.  "Okay, you can gloat." He relented.  "I admit it; it was a pretty amazing play."

"Yes!" Kristen exclaimed as she spun away from him and did a little victory dance around him. 

He laughed as she began walking next to him again.  "I need to bring you to all the games I go to." He stated.  "You're fun."

"I'd be okay with that." She replied as she tucked some of her hair behind her ears.  "But you haven't really seen me at my best.  Wait till football season starts." She giggled again and he couldn't help thinking how beautiful she was or how much he just wanted to grab her and kiss her soundly--put this good mood she was in to much better use...

Without thinking he reached over and grabbed her hand as they continued walking across the courtyard and towards the parking garage.  Half of him argued he had done it so they wouldn't get separated in the crowd that was exiting the arena, but the other half knew he'd been dying to hold her hand all night and had finally run out of excuses not to.  Kristen smiled as she slipped her fingers between his and he got that same fluttery feeling inside that he'd gotten when she'd slid behind him on his bike and wound her arms around him. 

Since her confessions to him a few days ago Chris had had to be completely honest with himself and decide if he could do this.  Could he begin something with Kristen knowing how complicated things could get?  Did he want to get involved with someone who was still in the middle of ending their previous relationship--a marriage, no less--and there was apparently no end date in sight?  Could he handle being "just friends" with her as she'd requested until everything was finalized?  Kristen gave his hand a slight squeeze as they crossed the street. 

Yes.  He thought as he squeezed back. He knew it had the potential of getting messy but he also knew it was worth it.  He had expected to feel scared--terrified even--at the thought of getting into a relationship again but instead all he felt was a nervous sense of excitement.          

"Where are you taking me for dinner?" She asked, pulling him from his thoughts as she looked at him expectantly. 

He smiled.  "Have you ever been to Bar Louie?" He asked.  She shook her head.  "It's great.  It's one of my favorite places to go.  I hope you're hungry."

"Starving." She replied. 

"Good." He nodded.  "I was hoping all that gloating hadn't ruined your appetite." He teased.  She laughed as she pushed him with her shoulder. 

"Gloating just makes me hungrier." She told him.  "Don't you worry."

Chris chuckled as they entered the parking garage and walked towards where he'd parked the bike.  They both got on again and he smiled as Kristen's arms once more slid around his waist.  He felt her press up against his back and tried to ignore the shiver the skirted down his spine.  It was no use though, there was no denying the affect she had on him--or the way his body reacted to her touch.  "Hang on." He told her unnecessarily as he pulled forward on the bike.  Kristen's hold on him tightened and his smile increased.  They finally got through all the traffic in the parking garage and he took off down the street, secretly glad she'd never been to the restaurant he was taking her to.  She'd never know he was purposefully taking the long way there-selfishly wanting to feel her arms wrapped around him for as long as possible.  He wasn't sure what her "just friends" rule included as far as physical contact so he was playing it by ear, taking his hints from her and following her lead.  He wasn't going to push her for anything.  However, he was still a guy and as such, was going to take advantage of whatever he could.  Ten extra minutes as they drove across town wasn't much, but it was all he had at the moment and he was going to take it.   

~~~~~~~~~~

"So tell me," Kristen said as she took a bite of the chicken club sandwich she'd ordered.  She leaned across the table towards Chris.  "What's something I should know about you?" She asked as she took a sip of her Diet Coke.

He sat for a minute looking at her then leaned over the table as well.  "Okay," he said, lowering his voice and looking around nervously at the people sitting at the tables surrounding them.  "You have to promise not to tell anyone but..." he paused dramatically and Kristen found herself leaning closer towards him-expecting him to reveal some deep, dark secret that nobody knew about him.  "I'm chronically immature." He whispered.

Kristen laughed as she sat back against the booth.  She rolled her eyes.  "I meant something I should know that I don't already know about you." She said, playfully throwing her napkin across the table at him.

He chuckled as he dodged the flying napkin then wrapped his hand around the glass sitting in front of him and brought it up to his lips-taking a sip of the Coke he'd ordered.  "Oh, something you don't know." He replied.  "I'm sorry." He teased.  "I must have heard you wrong.  Okay.  Uhm..." He placed the glass back on the table and Kristen waited, folding her arms and leaning her elbows on the table.  He took a bite out of one of the tacos he'd ordered.  "Well..." he said as he chewed.  "I don't know what you tell you." He confessed.  "I've been pretty open about who I am and my life since the group started way back when and everyone in the entire world suddenly became insanely curious about every little think about me.  I don't really have any skeletons in my closet if that's what you're looking for." He looked at her with a shrug.  "I like to party and have a good time.  I don't like being alone.  I've traveled around the world more times than I can count.  When given the choice I will nine times out of ten choose to watch a cartoon over anything else.  I spent ten years in a boy band and I'm in the middle of putting together another one as someone was so quick to point out to me a week ago." He gave her a pointed look and Kristen chuckled.  He leaned back against the booth and looked at her.  "I grew up with basically nothing and now have everything I could ever want.  My favorite sports teams are the Steelers and the Penguins.  Music is my life and passion.  I have two dogs.  I'm afraid of heights and I'm a recovering alcoholic."  He paused.  "Anything else you want to know?" He asked.  Kristen shook her head.  "I've got a question for you then." He said. 

"Okay." She smiled.

"How did you get into Public Relations?" He questioned, taking another bite and finishing off one of the three tacos on his plate.

"I love talking to people." She told him.  "And getting involved with a good cause.  I interned with a few non-profits around town but I was drawn to the hospital and did what I could to make sure I got a job there when I graduated.  I love being around and interacting with the kids.  They are so amazing and are such examples on how to have a positive attitude through all the crap that life throws at you.  It's bad enough when adults get cancer or have to deal with debilitating and chronic diseases but to see a child have to go through it is a hundred times worse.  The research that's being done nowadays is amazing but it's not enough, you know?" She questioned and he nodded.  "Nobody should have cancer but especially not a child.  So that's why I do what I do.  I want to make sure that people are made aware of the fact that there is still so much more research that needs to be done in order to cure these diseases."

"Why didn't you just become a doctor or something?" He asked, watching her closely.  "Then you could have been the one doing the research and making sure it got done."

"I couldn't do it." She shook her head.

"Sure you could have." He countered.  "You're intelligent and passionate about it.  Medical school would be a piece of cake for you."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Kristen smiled.  "But I can't." She shook her head.  "I'm afraid of needles and the sight of blood makes me pass out." She confessed.

Chris laughed.  "Yeah, not so good." He shook his head. 

"No." Kristen agreed with a chuckle.  "I didn't think so either.  So, I just do what I can do with trying to raise funds and awareness."  She took another sip of her Diet Coke.  "Plus, I really like planning and putting together the fund raising events we have." She smiled.

"If you ever decide to change jobs, let me know." He said.  "You could come work with my foundation or if you ever want to just focus on the events part I could put you in touch with an amazing events planner in LA." He smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind." Kristen chuckled.  "Should I ask how you know an events planner in LA?" She questioned.

"That's what JC's wife, Rachel, does." Chris explained. 

"Ah." Kristen nodded.  "Well, like I said, I'll keep it in mind but for right now I'm happy where I am." She smiled. A comfortable silence fell between them as they continued eating.  "So, about the concert we're putting together..." Kristen drawled and Chris looked up at her.  "What are the chances you and your new group would be willing to sign up as one of the acts?" She looked at him expectantly, hoping he'd say yes.  Otherwise it would be kind of embarrassing to go back to everyone and tell them she'd lied about Chris signing up. 

"They might be pretty good." He nodded with a smile on his face.  "But there's actually something else I wanted to talk to you about along that same line." Kristen looked at him in question and he continued.  "Do you remember the charity basketball games that the guys and I did back in the day?" He asked her. 

"Yeah." Kristen nodded.

"Well, I've been thinking about getting everyone back together and doing it again."

"Really?" She asked.  "That's great!  I know you guys were always able to raise a lot of money with those games for the charities you supported."

"Yeah." He nodded.  "If we do it, I want the hospital to be the one that gets the majority of the funds."

"Really?" Kristen asked, looking at him in shock.  "I...that would be...that would be great!" She exclaimed. 

"So would you be willing to work with me on getting it all set up and put together?" He asked.  "I don't know a whole lot about what goes into planning something like that." He admitted.  "We did it for what...five or six years but I never really paid attention to all the behind the scenes stuff." 

"Of course!" She nodded. 

"I don't know what all the legalities would be, but we can talk to whoever we need to talk to about getting everything ironed out legally and I figure if we pool our resources in regards to contacts and sponsors we could put together a kickass event."  He stated. 

And blow Kyle and Mark's stupid baseball game right out of the water!  Kristen thought, but kept it to herself.  She laughed.  "I can talk to Michael tomorrow and see what he thinks and let you know what he says." She replied. 

"Great." He nodded.  "Then I can talk to the rest of the guys about it."

"You haven't talked to them about it?" She asked, some of her initial enthusiasm wearing off.  If he hadn't talked to them yet there was no guarantee that this would even get off the ground. 

"I talked to Joey and JC last weekend and they were both in.  Justin's the one I'm worried about but I think I can get his wife to help me convince him and I'm not worried about Lance.  He'll do it." Chris replied confidently. 

As they finished eating, they continued talking about what would need to happen to get this project started.  They exchanged ideas and Chris filled her in on all the activities that had been a part of the events in the past.  Kristen began to worry that this might turn out to be bigger than she originally thought and wasn't entirely sure she had the knowledge and skill base necessary to pull it off, but the look in Chris' eyes kept her from voicing her concerns.  He was so keyed up over this and she didn't want to ruin his excitement.  She was just going to have to take it one day at a time and do the best she could and with any luck they'd be able to put together the "kickass event" that he wanted.

Chapter End Notes:
remember to review  :)  it keeps me motivated...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris