Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm on a roll...go me!  This chapter was kind of fun to write.  It's mostly a filler chapter, but we get to see a little bit more of Kristen's personality  :)
"Dude, for real?" Justin's incredulous voice carried over the phone Saturday morning.  "You called my wife and tried to talk her into seducing me into going along with this plan of yours?"

"Damn, she told you?  She wasn't supposed to...I mean...what?" Chris asked innocently as he flopped down on his couch a few days later.  "I don't know what you're talking about.  She's crazy."

"Yeah.  Right.  Whatever, Kirkpatrick." Justin replied and Chris could almost picture the younger man rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

"For real." Chris insisted.  "I've been trying to tell you all along, J.  Aubrey?  She's crazy, man!  I don't know why you married her..."

"Careful." Justin warned with a laugh.  "Don't dig a hole so big you can't get out of it.  You insult her anymore and I'm going to have to fly down there and beat your ass up."

"Think you can take me?" Chris chuckled as he stretched his legs out in front of him and leaned his head back against the couch--staring up at the ceiling.

"I own you!" Justin replied.  "Do I need to remind you how many times I've beaten you over the years?"

"That's because I let you." Chris told him. 

"Let me...oh, hell no!" Justin exclaimed.

"You were young and I didn't want to bruise your fragile ego." Chris continued.  "So I let you win."

Justin laughed.  "You keep telling yourself that, old man, but we both know that ain't the truth."

"So, did it work?" Chris asked.

"Yeah, just change the subject..." Justin trailed off and Chris chuckled. "Did what work?" Justin questioned.  "Aubrey seducing me?  Hell, man!  She does that every day.  If you really wanted her to talk me into doing something for you, you should have told her to hold out on me.  Then I really would have known something was up. And I would have done whatever the hell she wanted me to do!" He confessed with a chuckle. 

"I'll remember that for next time." Chris promised, laughing.  "You do realize that you two have been married now for almost a year, right?" He asked.  "Isn't the honeymoon stage supposed to be over by now?"

"Shit, I don't know." Justin replied with a chuckle.  "I've never been married before.  I have no idea how this is supposed to go, but I'm not complaining that's for sure!"

"I wouldn't be complaining, either." Chris remarked.

"That's right, I know you're jealous." Justin countered, still laughing.  "Ever think of breaking out of bachelorhood and finding a girl again?  Or a guy," he teased.  "Whatever may be the case.  I know you've dated some in the past but since Danielle..." Justin trailed off.  He cleared his throat.  "Anyway...you're missing out." 

"Yeah, actually, I--" Chris began, a smile coming to his face as he thought about Kristen.

"You really want to do this again?" Justin asked, cutting Chris off.  Chris chuckled to himself as he rolled his eyes.  He put one hand behind his head as he shifted on the couch--settling lower into the cushions.  He had always been the one in the group that had been accused of having A.D.D. but if anyone had trouble focusing on one thing at a time and sitting still for long periods of time it was the baby of the group.  If it wasn't singing, it was acting.  If it wasn't acting, it was golf.  If it wasn't golf it was the clothing line.  Or the record label.  Or the restaurant. Chris didn't know how Aubrey put up with Justin's constant need to always be on the run and doing something.  They boy didn't know when to stop sometimes.   

"Yeah," Chris replied.  "Yeah, I do."  He nodded.

"Why?" Justin questioned. 

"Because I think it would fun." Chris answered.  "And I've..." he paused, wondering how to give Justin information but not too much information. 

The more he said about Kristen the more he was opening himself up for being teased.  He'd spent the better part of his life around Justin and the other guys in the group.  The five of them were worse than women when it came to gossiping about each other and the teasing between them could get ruthless at times.  If he said too much about Kristen, Justin could get suspicious.  If he knew anything about Rachel, Chris would put money down on the fact that she had said something to Aubrey, when she and JC had gotten home a few weeks ago, about the girl that Chris was interested in.  Aubrey may or may not have passed the information on to Justin and if Chris said anything to substantiate the rumors all hopes of keeping his relationship with Kristen quiet went right out the window.  Aside from having A.D.D. Justin had the biggest mouth out of all of them.

Why are you so concerned about everyone finding out? A small inner voice asked.  You love her, don't you?

Yes. He answered himself. 

Then why keep it a secret? The voice asked again.

Because I don't know if she loves me. Chris thought, a sense of disappointment filling him. 

After the admission of his feelings to her a few nights ago, Chris had been waiting for Kristen to tell him how she felt about him.  But she hadn't.  She hadn't thrown him out of her apartment and their relationship really hadn't changed any, but the absence of those three words coming from her mouth made him wonder.  He really couldn't blame her for not saying them--he'd seen firsthand the emotional abuse she'd been suffering at the hands of her husband--and he knew, though she hadn't said so, that he had probably been too hasty in telling her he loved her.  Who says they're in love after only three weeks?  He scoffed internally.  Another aspect in which he and the rest of the guys of N SYNC were worse than women: they all seemed to fall fast and hard for the significant others in their lives.

"Chris?" Justin questioned, his voice shaking Chris from his musings.  "You still there?  Did we get disconnected?  Damn T-Mobile." Justin grumbled.  "I told Aubrey I didn't want to switch providers but she insisted..."

"I'm here." Chris chuckled.  "Calm down."

"What happened?" Justin asked.  "Where'd you go?"

"Nowhere." Chris replied.  "I didn't go anywhere.  I was just...thinking.  What was I saying?"

"You were telling me why you want to get us all together again for another charity game." Justin stated.

"Right." Chris nodded.  "I've, uhm...well I've met someone who works for the Children's Hospital here in Orlando." He continued.  "And she...well we were talking one night and she was telling me about some of the events they're working on and planning right now to raise funds and I mentioned I was thinking about getting our Charity For The Children games going again."  Chris went on to explain the conversations he and Kristen had had about putting together the event to raise funds for the hospital.  Justin seemed to be interest in the idea so he asked, "What do you think?" 

"I don't know, man." Justin said with a sigh.  "It sounds great and you know me-I'm always up for playing some basketball but..." he trailed off.  "When...when are you thinking this is all going to happen?"

"Why?" Chris question with a laugh.  "You gone and made some big ass plans or something since we ended the tour last month?" He teased.

"Something." Justin agreed hesitantly.

Chris' brow furrowed in question.  "What?" He asked.  "Another solo tour?" Chris teased with a laugh.

"Maybe someday but, no." Justin replied.  "That's not it.  I just..." he sighed.  "Look, keep this quiet, okay?" He asked.

"Sure." Chris agreed, his curiosity piqued at Justin's hesitance.  "What's going on?" 

"Aubrey and I..." Again the younger man paused. 

"Aubrey and you?" Chris echoed.  "Just spit it out, Timberlake." He said.  "What's going on?"

"Aubrey and I are, uhm...trying to...have a baby." Justin finally admitted. 

Chris' eyebrows rose in surprise.  That's it?  He thought.  "Congratualtions, man!" He offered.

"Thanks." Justin said.  "It's, uhm...it's going to be a bit unconventional and I'm not really sure how everything's going to work so I just need to know kind of the timeline for this whole thing.  Then I can talk to Aubrey about it and see what she thinks."

Chris was confused.  "What do you mean unconventional?" He asked, the words leaving his mouth though he wasn't sure it was his place to question his friend.  What business was it of his if Justin and his wife were working on starting a family? Or how they were going to do it.

"Aubrey's going to kill me." Justin muttered under his breath.

"Well, I don't want that." Chris replied with a chuckle.  "I don't want Aubrey going to jail for manslaughter." He teased.  "She's too sweet and innocent, she wouldn't last an hour in a place like that."

"You got that right." Justin agreed with a chuckle.  "It's, uhm...we're doing it via surrogate." He stated.

"Surrogate?" Chris questioned. 

"Yeah."

"Okay.  Whatever." Chris mused then shrugged his shoulders.  "It's, uhm...it's probably going to be sometime early summer.  May or June--something like that.  Will that work?"

"I'll have to talk to Aubrey about it." Justin said.  "I'll give you a call in a few days and let you know, okay?"

"Sounds good." Chris nodded.  The two men talked for a few more minutes about random and inconsequential things until Justin said he had to go.  They ended the call and Chris tossed his phone from hand to hand.  He was one step closer to getting this whole thing off the ground.  He knew Justin would agree--Chris had heard it in his friend's voice, and he had Aubrey on his side who thought it was a great idea and had promised to do what she could to convince Justin to participate.  Now I've just got to go talk to that guy at the hospital.  He thought, and with that thought his mind turned to the subject that had been a constant topic of his for the last three weeks. 

Kristen. 

With a grin lifting the corners of his mouth, Chris quickly dialed her number and lifted the phone to his ear.  He had a sudden need and desire to hear her voice-to see how her day was going so far-and see if she wanted to go out tonight. 

"Hey, you!" She said in greeting when she answered his call. 

"Hey, Vanilla." He replied, using the nickname he'd given and taken to calling her.  She laughed and his smile widened.  "What are you doing tonight?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not surprised, not everything lasts
I've broken my heart so many times I stopped keeping track
Talk myself in, I talk myself out
I get all worked up then I let myself down

I tried so very hard not to lose it
I came up with a million excuses
I thought, I thought of every possibility

"And I know some day that it'll all turn out." Kristen sang out as she began to dance in front of her kitchen counter.  She snipped open the bag of chocolate chips in her hand with a pair of scissors and poured them into the bowl in front of her.  "You'll make me work so we can work to work it out.  And I promise you, kid, that I give so much more than I get.  I just haven't met you yet."  She continued to sing along as she began stirring the chocolate chips into the oatmeal cookie batter she was making. 

I might have to wait, I'll never give up
I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck
Wherever you are, whenever it's right
You'll come out of nowhere and into my life

And I know that we can be so amazing
And baby your love is going to change me
And now I can see every possibility

Somehow I know that it'll all turn out
You'll make me work so we can work to work it out
And promise you kid I'll give so much more than I get
I just haven't met you yet

Her lips turned up in a smile as she kept dancing and singing along to the song that had become a recent favorite of hers.  For the first time in over a year she felt like herself again.  She felt free--like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders.  Nothing in her life had changed.  Kevin was still bent on making her life hell and she was still no closer to seeing the light at the end of this divorce tunnel she was in, Chris loved her and that fact had changed everything.  She hadn't realized, until he had said those three little words to her, how smothered and suffocated she had been with Kevin.  She had changed so much of who she was in her attempt to gain her husband's approval over the years they had been together that she had lost pieces of herself.  The changes had happened little by little--so slowly she hadn't realized until now-and she was disappointed in herself.  She shouldn't have to change.  For anyone. 

They say all's fair in love and war
But I won't need to fight it
We'll get it right and we'll be united

And I know that we can be so amazing
And being in your life is going to change me
And now I can see every single possibility

And someday I know it'll all turn out
And I'll work to work it out
Promise you kid I'll give more than I get

"Sing to me, Michael!" Kristen exclaimed as she took a spoon out of the silverware drawer.  She danced around as she ate a huge bite of cookie dough.  Sliding across the kitchen floor in her socks, Kristen giggled as she almost fell over.  "Woah!" She laughed as she grabbed onto the counter.  "How about we just concentrate on making cookies instead of dancing around like an idiot, trying to kill yourself?" She said out loud.  "Oh brother." She rolled her eyes.  "If Chris should see me now..."  She shook her head at her herself--still laughing-as she dropped spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto a cookie tray then put the tray into the oven.  She had just set the timer when there was a knock at her door. 

"Ooo!" She said, doing an excited little skip as she left the kitchen.  "I wonder who that is!"

Walking towards the door Kristen shivered, suddenly feeling cold.  She looked down at herself and stopped dead in her tracks.  "What the...brilliant, Kristen!  Brilliant." She said, smacking her hand against her forehead.  A second knock came at the door.  "Hold on!" Kristen called out as she did a quick turn and ran back towards her bedroom.  "Be right there!"  She grabbed her basketball shorts from the clothes hamper and pulled them on then walked back out to the front door.  "Can't believe I almost answered the door in just a T-shirt, my underwear and a pair of socks!"

Kristen ran her hand through her hair as she opened the door, signed, and accepted the box the FedEx guy gave her.  "Thank you." She said, closing the door.  "What did I order?" She wondered aloud as she set the box on the kitchen table.  Skipping into the kitchen she grabbed the pair of scissors she had used to open the bag of chocolate chips and went back to the table.  Opening the box Kristen squealed excitedly.  "Boots!!"  She exclaimed as she pulled the pair of black leather, knee-length boots she had seen online a few weeks ago and had ordered.  She hugged the shoes to her chest for a moment then sat down on the floor and pulled them on.  She wasn't normally one to buy shoes over the internet--how did you know they fit and that they looked good on you unless you were able to actually try them on?--but when she'd seen these she knew she had to get them.

"Now that's sexy!" She proclaimed as she leaned back on her hands and put first one leg than the other up into the air--admiring how the boots looked on her.  She stood up and looked down at herself and giggled.  "Basketball shorts and boots.  Damn right, I'm hot!"  Her phone rang and she turned to grab it from off the counter behind her.  She smiled.  "And speaking of hot...." She murmured as she saw Chris's name on the screen. 

"Hey, you!" She said in greeting as she answered the call. 

"Hey, Vanilla." He replied, using the nickname he'd given and taken to calling her.  Kristen laughed.  "What are you doing tonight?"

"I didn't have any plans," she replied as she pulled out a chair and sat down at the table.  "Except finding somewhere to wear these fantastic boots I just bought!" She said as she stretched her legs out so she could admire them some more.

"Boots?" Chris asked, making a noise of interest. 

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen hummed. 

"What do they look like?"

"Sexy." Kristen replied.  "Four inch heels, black leather, knee-length..." Chris groaned and she giggled. 

"Wanna go out tonight?" He asked.  "Put those sexy boots to some good use?"

"Definitely." She nodded.  "What are you thinking?"  The timer went off on the oven and she stood and walked into the kitchen.  Sandwiching the phone between her ear and her shoulder she opened the oven door, inhaling appreciatively as the smell of oatmeal chocolate chips cookies escaped.  "Mmmmm...." She moaned as she set the hot tray on the stove top.

"What?" Chris asked.  "What's going on over there?" He inquired.  "First with the leather boots and now with you moaning in my ear...I'm beginning to wonder about you." He teased.

"Mmmm...I just pulled a tray of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies out of the oven." Kristen told him.  "Wanna come over?"

"Be there in ten." He said and she laughed as the call was immediately disconnected. 

Kristen moved the cookies from the tray over to a couple of cooling racks with a spatula, put more dough on the tray and stuck the tray back into the oven.  Setting the timer once more Kristen took a warm cookie and shoved it into her mouth as she hurried into her bedroom, jumping as she tugged the boots off her feet.  She didn't want Chris to see them until she figured out the outfit she was going to wear them with tonight.  She was just pulling her hair back, securing it with a ponytail holder, when a knock came at her door again.  She smiled as she hurried to the door. 

"Twelve minutes." She told Chris as she opened the door and leaned against it-looking over her shoulder at the clock on the wall.  "You're losing your edge, Kirkpatrick." She teased, turning her eyes back to him.

Chris narrowed his eyes at her as he stepped into the apartment.  "It was that damn light on Sand Lake.  It has it out for me.  Take it up with the city." He replied.  Kristen chuckled as she closed the door then turned to look at Chris. 

"I'll do that." She said as she stepped towards him.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she wound her arms around his neck.  Chris put his arms around her waist and tugged her close--his lips meeting hers.  Kristen moaned as she kissed him back.  What was it about this man that got her so hot and bothered all the time?  It wasn't like it had been a million years since the last time he had kissed her.  Hell, they'd spent time together almost every night this week but ever since Monday night, when he'd told her he loved her, it was like someone had turned the fire up a notch inside her when it came to Chris--she couldn't get enough of him. 

"You started without me." He said as he pulled back slightly. 

"Huh?" Kristen asked, blinking a few times as she looked at him in question.  He lifted one hand, his thumb smudging over the corner of her mouth.  He then held his thumb up in front of her--showing her the chocolate he had removed from her skin.  Kristen's stomach quivered as she looked at him.  She wrapped her fingers around his wrist and brought his hand closer.  Putting his thumb in her mouth, Kristen closed her lips around his finger--sucking the chocolate off as their eyes remained locked.  Chris released a groan that made her body temperature rise about ten degrees as she pulled his thumb out of her mouth.

"Damn, girl." He exclaimed, exhaling heavily.  "You really are trying to kill me, aren't you?" He asked.

Kristen laughed.  "You're the only hope I have of putting together this kick ass, N SYNC reunion, basketball charity game to help raise funds for my hospital." She grinned.  "Why would I want to kill you?"

Chris threw back his head as he laughed.  "You're crazy." He remarked. "Now, show me the cookies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you want to dance?"  Chris asked, his voice rose above the music pounding through the club that night.  Kristen shook her head as she pressed the glass in her hand to her lips.  "In a minute." She told him.  "After I finish my drink." She smiled as she took another drink.  Crossing her right leg over her left, Kristen leaned towards him--her hand resting on his leg.  Chris leaned towards her, his lips easily connecting with hers and Kristen moaned as the alcohol on his tongue mixed with what she'd already drunk.  She set her glass on the table as she then put both her hands on his face.  Chris put his arm around her--pulling her closer.  Kristen tilted her head to the side as the kiss deepened between them.    

"Crazy girl." Chris growled quietly, his lips releasing hers as they both struggled for breath.  Kristen giggled as she slowly opened her eyes.  She licked her lips as she looked at him.  Damn, he's sexy.  She sighed in appreciation as she stroked his cheek with her hand.  Her eyes delved into his--her heart pounding in her chest.  She kissed him again then leaned her forehead against his. "I lo--"   

"Hey, is this guy bothering you?"  Kristen jumped in surprise at the masculine voice interrupting her and Chris.  She looked over her shoulder then turned around fully when she recognized the man talking to her-her jaw hanging open slightly.  "Because he's been a pain in my ass for about the last twenty years."

"Oh, shit." Chris exclaimed with a laugh.  "Don't listen to a word he says about me." He told her. 

Kristen looked at Chris as Joey Fatone sat down next to her in the booth then turned back to look at the man who had been Chris' bandmate and friend for years.  "Hi." He said, extending his hand to her--his brown eyes sparkling as he smiled at her.  "I'm Joey."

"Kristen." She said, slipping her hand into his.  She felt Chris shift beside her.

"Kristen?" Joey said, one eyebrow quirking up as he looked past her to Chris as he released her hand.  

"Yeah." Kristen nodded as she tucked some hair behind her ear.  Joey continued looking at Chris as he lifted the glass in his hand to his lips.  Kristen turned to look at Chris as well, her brows furrowing in question.  "Have we..." she turned back to Joey.  "Have we met before?" She asked, wondering what all the weird looks between the guys were for. 

"No." Joey said shaking his head, his attention turning back to her.  "But I've heard a lot about you." His grin widened.  "It's nice to finally meet you."  He said. 

Kristen turned to look at Chris again, her eyes narrowing slightly as their eyes met.  "What exactly have you heard about me?" She asked Joey, though she kept her eyes locked on Chris.  Kristen couldn't help grinning as Chris' cheeks warmed slightly.  She watched as he lifted the bottle in his hand to his lips, his eyes turning to look out over the dance floor.  He lifted his arm, draping it around her shoulders, and Kristen settled back against him as she turned to look at Joey again. 

"All good things, I promise." Joey replied. 

"Uh-huh." Kristen nodded.  "Well, uhm...what...what are you up to?" She asked, knowing the question was dumb but she didn't know what to say to the guy.  She had gotten past the fact that Chris was a celebrity--she'd spent enough time with him on an intimate (sometimes very intimate) basis that he was just a regular guy to her now--but Joey still had that superstar quality surrounding him that flustered her slightly. 

"Yeah, Joe." Chris piped up.  "What are you up to?"

"Havin' a drink, doin' some dancing, partying like a rock star." Joey replied.  "What about you guys?"

"Havin' a drink, doin' some dancing, partying like rock stars." Chris echoed. 

Kristen chuckled.  "I'm here to show off my new boots!" She supplied, the alcohol she had previously consumed beginning to kick in--loosening her tongue and her inhibitions a bit.  Chris laughed and Joey leaned back as he looked under the table.

"Mmmm..." Joey hummed, looking back up at Kristen.  "Sexy." He nodded, smiling in approval as he took another drink.

"Careful, man." Chris commented, his arm tightening slightly around Kristen.  Kristen smiled at his show of possession.  Normally she didn't like it when guys went into caveman mode, but with Chris it was different.  She liked the feeling of knowing he was publicly staking his claim on her.  "What would Kelly say?"

"She'd say they were sexy, too." Joey answered with a grin, his brown eyes sparkling teasingly.  Kristen laughed.  "What is it with girls and boots?" He asked with a laugh.

Kristen shrugged.  "You can never have too many pairs of boots, I always say."

"Really?" Chris asked.  "You always say that?" He questioned.  Kristen chuckled as she nudged him with her elbow.  "So...how come this is the first time I've heard you say it?" He asked as he leaned closer--his lips brushing against the sensitive skin below her ear.  Kristen shivered as he rested his chin on her shoulder.   

"I'm sure there're lots of things you haven't heard me say yet." She replied, turning her head slightly to look at him.  He kissed her cheek. 

"Are you done with your drink yet?" He asked.  "I want to dance."

Kristen chuckled as she reached for her glass on the table.  Taking a healthy swallow she finished off the alcohol then put it back down.  "Done." She told him. 

"Then let's go." Chris said, nudging her out of the booth. 

Kristen looked at Joey in apology as he had to move to let them out.  "It was nice meeting you." She said as the three of them stood beside the table. 

"You too." Joey said.  "You two should come over sometime." He offered.  "Briahna's been asking about you." He told Chris.  "Wanting to know when you're going to come over next to play Wii with her."

Chris chuckled.  "She's a monster at Mario Kart." He told Kristen.  "The little stinker almost beat me last time."

"You guys want to come over tomorrow?" Joey asked.  "You can meet the family." He said to Kristen.  "And you can defend your high score." He told Chris.

Chris looked at Kristen in question.  She shrugged, giving him a small smile.  "Sure." He said, turning to look back at Joey.  "Sounds good."

"Awesome." Joey replied, he turned and waved as someone called out his name.  "I'll see you guys later." He said then disappeared into the crowd. 

"Let's dance." Chris said.  Kristen turned to look at him but didn't move.  "What?" He asked, lifting one brow in question.  "Are you okay?"  He questioned.  Kristen continued to look at him.  She was starting to feel a little fuzzy from the alcohol, but one thing she was certain about: she'd never been so quickly and easily accepted by a man and his friends before.  Joey had spent all of ten minutes, if that, with her but Kristen got the feeling that she had been accepted just the way she was--hell, the man had just invited her to come over and meet his family!--and that acceptance meant the world to her.  She knew Chris wouldn't make her change, wouldn't expect for her to change, and she loved him for that. 

She loved him.

Her heart fluttered in her chest.

Kristen put her hands on Chris' face as she leaned forward and kissed him.  He grunted in surprise but wrapped his arms around her waist as he kissed her back enthusiastically.  Kristen pulled back after a moment and he looked at her in question. 

"Not that I'm complaining or anything," he said.  "But what was that for?"

Kristen grinned as she kissed him once more.  "I love you." She said.  Chris looked at her in surprise and she giggled as a smile spread across his face.  "Come on." She said, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the dance floor.   "Let's dance."        

Chapter End Notes:

song credit "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble (damn, I love that man's voice...sigh...)

tell me what you think!  I love reading your reviews  :)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris