Author's Chapter Notes:

ok, so it was a little more than an hour, so sue me.  Also...tag, you're it....again! 

uhm....this chapter is kinda long....hope you like it :)

 

When Kristen awoke the next morning she was exhausted.  Mentally, physically, and emotionally she was spent.  She lay in bed, her eyes closed, trying to enjoy a few more minutes of sleep.  However, her thoughts wouldn't let her.   

During the last twenty-four hours she had felt and gone through just about every human emotion possible from surprise and shock, to confusion, anger, fear, anxiety and uncertainty.  She had been overcome with sadness, humiliation and embarrassment.  Hopelessness, worthlessness, disappointment, grief and inadequacy had smothered her at times.  She had been amazed, filled with gratitude and had given in to an overwhelming love, passion, euphoria and ecstasy, finally falling asleep feeling happy and content.  It had been a whirlwind to say the least and she wasn't sure she had the strength to get out of bed; to face another day where anything could happen and any number of emotions could be triggered and released.

Can't I just stay in bed today and sleep?  She asked-throwing the question out to whomever in the universe may be listening to her.  I don't want to deal with it anymore.

It had been a crazy rollercoaster of emotions she'd ridden since yesterday morning and she was hesitant to get out of bed this morning.  She didn't want a repeat.  She had survived the flood of emotions that had come her way but she wasn't sure she would be able to survive another day of conflicting and overwhelming thoughts and feelings.  She wanted to stay home--snuggled under her covers--hiding from the rest of the world.  She didn't want to deal with any more questions, speculative looks, rumors being spread and photographs being taken.  She didn't want to have to release a statement.  She didn't want to have her life put on display and have to justify her actions to millions of strangers who really had no right to that information. 

She didn't want to have to try and beat Kevin at his own game.  

The mattress shifted and Kristen opened her eyes.  She turned her head-her lips lifting slightly as Chris turned over, his body now facing her.  Her eyes roamed over his sleeping features and her smile widened as he let out a soft snore.  She wanted to reach out and touch him--to prove to herself once again that he was real-but she didn't want to wake him up.  They had stayed up most of the night talking, trying to decide what to say in the statement they were going to release, finally falling asleep just a few hours ago.  Kristen snuggled closer to him, the same feelings of happiness and contentment that had filled her last night returning in force as he instinctively put his arm around her and pulled her towards him.  He ducked his head, nuzzling her neck for a moment then stilled, letting out another soft snore as he continued to sleep. 

Kristen lay in his arms for a few blissful moments--soaking up the love and security she felt just being close to him.  It was amazing what he was able to make her feel when he was doing nothing more than just sleeping beside her.  She couldn't help but compare what she was feeling at the moment with how she had felt in her last relationship.  The difference was like night and day and once again the questions that had assaulted her so forcefully last night returned.  The peaceful, content feeling she had been experiencing disappeared and Kristen closed her eyes tightly, desperately wishing for it to return--for the questions to leave her alone.

Chris was right.  There was no use dwelling on past mistakes.  What was done was done.  She just needed to set it all aside and move past it.  She needed to recognize it for the blessing it was.  She had only given Kevin five years of her life when it could have been a lot more.  And, though her husband had slept with almost every woman he came in contact with, Kristen thanked God every day that he had had some sense of responsibility and had used protection.  She shuddered to think of all the countless diseases she could be dealing with right now, on top of finding out about her husband's infidelity. 

Things could be worse.  She reminded herself, thinking of the countless other variables that could have been involved--complicating things further.

"At least you two hadn't started having kids yet."

Her mother's words from a few months ago popped into her head and Kristen added that fact to her list of things to be thankful for.  Though Suzanne Thompson had been after her daughter from the moment things got serious with Kevin to give her some more grandchildren, Kristen had always found a way to evade the topic when it came up.  She knew how much it would break her mother's heart were she to know that Kristen didn't want to have kids and she could never bring herself to tell her mother the truth. 

Working where she did, at the Children's Hospital, Kristen was confronted every day with all the horrible and senseless diseases that children were subject to and had to go through.  She saw their frail little bodies and--though a lot of them went through each day with a smile on their face--Kristen had seen the tears on their parent's faces as they watched their child endure countless operations and procedures, sometimes being able to return home once again, but often to only be met with disappointment and eventual death. 

She couldn't do it. 

She knew she wouldn't be able to survive the death of a child.  Besides, there were too many children in this world already who were forced to live in deplorable conditions, and often had no one to love them.  What was the point of bringing yet another child into the world, when there were so many who needed help?  Thoughts of having a child made her feel guilty for all the kids she knew were in need.  She should spend her time helping them before being selfish enough to bring her own child into the world. 

And now that I'm thoroughly depressed.  Kristen thought to herself with a sigh. 

She opened her eyes and looked at the man next to her.  She wondered what his feelings were on the subject of kids and if it were too soon to broach the topic.  She had been scared to talk to Kevin about it and had put it off the entire time they had been together-never finding the "perfect time" to bring it up.  She didn't want to make the same mistakes again.  She was determined to be completely honest this time around.  She wasn't hiding anything, and she wasn't changing anything about herself just to please someone else.  If Chris couldn't handle the fact that she didn't want to have children then at least she would know and not constantly be wondering and stressing over it. 

With another sigh Kristen pressed her lips to the corner of Chris' jaw then turned and, sliding out from under his arm, rolled out of bed.  She stretched as a yawn escaped.  As much as she wanted to, she couldn't stay in bed any longer.  She had a job and responsibilities that couldn't be pushed aside just because she was dating a celebrity and their relationship had now become public knowledge.  She couldn't stay home and hide, ignoring everything going on and the way her thoughts were going just now she didn't want to stay in bed wallowing any longer.  She needed to get out of the house and focus on something other than herself, if only for a few hours. 

Pulling the T-shirt she'd slept in over her head as she walked into the bathroom she quietly closed the door and started the shower.  Stepping out of her shorts and panties she tossed them, along with the previously removed shirt, into the clothes hamper then reached her hand into the shower.  Satisfied with the water temperature, Kristen then stepped into the tub and beneath the spray of hot water as she pulled the shower curtain closed behind her.  The jets of water from the showerhead massaged her shoulders and Kristen moaned quietly as she dropped her head forward, allowing the water to knead her sore muscles. 

"Mmmm....I need a massage." She muttered to herself. 

"Turn around and I'll give you one."

Kristen let out a scream as she opened her eyes in surprise.  Her feet slipped beneath her and she would have gone down if he hadn't reached out to grab hold of her arms.  "Careful there, Vanilla." He observed with a chuckle, his brown eyes sparkling.  "It's just me." He grinned.

"Chris!" Kristen remarked, her heart still racing in her chest.  "Don't scare me like that!" She exclaimed as she pulled away from him.  She ran her hands over her face, pushing the water from her eyes then ran her fingers through her hair.  How the hell had she not heard him get in here with her?  "What are you doing here?" She asked with a nervous chuckle as her heart started fluttering in her chest.  She knew it was ridiculous, but she suddenly felt very exposed standing in the shower with him.  He had seen her naked countless times, but there was something different about what they were doing right now.  She'd never showered with anyone before.

"Here, as in life in general," he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he coked his head to the side.  "Or here, as in here in the shower?" He questioned, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. 

"Smart ass." Kristen replied with a roll of her eyes.  Chris laughed.  "Here in the shower." She clarified as the water continued to fall on them.  "What are you doing here in the shower with me?" She asked, fighting the sudden desire she had to fold her arms across her chest in an effort to cover up. 

Mischief sparkled in his eyes as he took a small step towards her, closing the space between them.  Kristen swallowed as she kept her eyes focused on his.  He lifted a hand, his fingers curling beneath her chin as he ran his thumb along her bottom lip.  Goose bumps broke out along her skin, despite the stream of warm water she was standing under, and a shiver skirted down her spine.  "I wanted to take a shower with my girlfriend." He stated as he dipped his head, his lips hovering above hers.  "Is that a crime?" He asked, his nose nuzzling hers seductively.  Kristen closed her eyes as he warm breath fanned over her lips--the sensitive skin tingling as she waited anxiously for his kiss. 

"Only if you don't kiss me right now." She replied.  He chuckled quietly before doing just that.  Kristen's hands instinctively moved to press against his chest.  Her fingers wandered over his warm, wet, slippery skin as Chris kept his one hand beneath her chin--using his thumb to open her mouth so he could slip his tongue inside.  He snaked his other arm around her waist, drawing her towards him until their bodies were flush with one another.  Kristen wound her arms around his neck as he continued kissing her--his kiss unlike anything she had ever experienced or tasted before.  Her fingers dug into his hair and she completely forgot about her earlier feelings of discomfort and nervousness as he took a step forward, guiding her back--farther under the spray.

Chris tilted his head slightly, slanting his mouth over hers in an effort to deepen what was already a deep kiss--the hand that had been under her chin moving to the side of her neck and then to the back of her head as his fingers tangled in her wet curls.  Kristen pulled back a moment later, gasping for breath.  Her arms tightened around his neck, hugging him closer as he trialed his lips along her jaw and down the column of her neck.  She dropped her head back, granting him access to her throat and shivered as he nipped at her collar bone.  Steam began to fill the bathroom and she felt beads of sweat begin to dot along her upper lip--courtesy of the combination of the hot water and the heat being generated between herself and the dark-haired, brown-eyed, incredibly sexy, tattooed, singer currently seducing her senseless. 

He pulled back a moment later and Kristen shook her head, her mind in a complete haze of need.  "No..." she whined, tightening her arms around him.  "Please?"  She begged, willing him to continue the sweet torture.  He chuckled, the sound low in her ear as his lips brushed against her lobe.  "Stop teasing me." She plead.

"Now you know how I feel all the time." He remarked as he placed a lingering kiss to her lips. 

"I don't tease you all the time." Kristen replied, somehow finding the strength to open her eyes and look at him.  Her fingers played with the short hairs at the back of his neck.  He shivered in her arms. 

"So you admit that you do tease me?" He questioned, a teasing sparkle in his eyes.

"Of course." She replied with a shrug.  "I'm a woman.  It's my job to tease." She stated, her lips lifting in a grin.  He chuckled.  "But I don't do it all the time." She clarified.

"Hmmm..." he hummed, dipping his head to place a single kiss at the pulse point on her neck.  "I beg to differ."  She swallowed heavily and tightened her arms around his neck as her knees wobbled a bit.  What this man was capable of doing to her...

"Turn around." He said suddenly, as he lifted his head. 

"What?" Kristen asked, looking at him in question. 

"Turn around." He repeated, twirling a finger in front of her to indicate what he wanted her to do. 

Kristen looked at him for a moment, confused, then did as he requested.  The water continued to fall from the showerhead, rivulets running down her body.  She wondered for a brief moment what he was going to do.  She heard him open a bottle behind her and turned to investigate, only to have him place his hands on her shoulders and turn her back towards the water.

"I said, turn around." He reminded her. 

"What are you doing?" She questioned. 

"I told you." He replied, speaking right behind her ear.  "I'm taking a shower with my girlfriend."  With that she felt as he squirted out some of her shampoo--the familiar apple scent invading her senses as he began working it into a lather.

Kristen moaned as his fingers massaged her scalp and she closed her eyes as she leaned her head back slightly, giving in to his ministrations.  "Mmmm..." She moaned again as his hands moved down her neck and across her shoulders, working the tense muscles there and completely relaxing her.  "I could get used to this." She murmured.  "Who needs a masseuse when I've got you?" 

Chris just chuckled as he dropped a kiss on one shoulder.  He continued working and massaging her neck and shoulders for several minutes, until Kristen felt so relaxed she wondered how she was still standing.  His fingers made their way back up into her hair and she let out a few more moans of pleasure until he told her to turn around again.  She did so, tilting her head back beneath the spray of water--her fingers joining his as they both worked to rinse out the suds from her hair.  When the job was done she straightened and opened her eyes, looking at him.   The nervous, anxious feeling from before returned as they stood facing each other. 

"That was amazing.  I've never...I've never done this before." Kristen admitted to him. 

"Showered?" He teased as he lifted his hands to brush his wet hair back.

"No." She laughed.  "I've showered before, obviously." She rolled her eyes.  "I've just never showered with someone before."

He stopped as he was reaching for the bar of soap sitting on the soap dish and looked at her in shock.  "You're kidding me, right?" He asked as he straightened.

"No." She shook her head.  "Why?"  He looked at her in stunned silence for a moment.  "What?" She asked.  "What is that look for?"

"You've never showered with anyone before?" He questioned and Kristen shook her head.  "I find that incredibly hard to believe." He admitted. 

"Why is that so hard to believe?" She asked with a confused chuckle. 

"Oh, I don't know." He replied as he began running the bar of soap over his arms.  "You tell me, Miss I've-poled-danced-and-given-lap-dances-before."

"It was one time!" Kristen exclaimed with a laugh.  He lifted one eye brow as he looked at her.  "Okay, two times." She admitted.  "But before you it was one time." She stated in self-defense.

"Whatever you say, Vanilla." He replied with a wink and a grin.

"Punk." Kristen muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes and shook her head. 

"I'm honored, though." He continued. 

"You should be." She replied with a chuckle.

"First you shared your cheesecake with me last week." He leaned forward and placed a quick kiss to her lips.  "And now I'm the first guy you've ever showered with."  Kristen smiled at him.  "What else haven't you ever done before that I'm going to get to be the first?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out." She sassed as she reached out and took the soap from him.  He looked like he was going to protest for a moment until she took over where he had left off.  She watched as the soap moved over his skin, lathering and cleaning.  He lifted one hand, his thumb brushing across her cheek then closed his eyes as she continued washing him.  Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth finally deciding she liked this showering together thing.  The groan of pleasure that rumbled in his chest emboldened her and gave her a boost of confidence.  I could definitely get used to this.  She thought to herself as she leaned forward--pressing her lips to his chest.    

Chris turned her in his arms, his hands covering hers as he began guiding the soap over her body.  Kristen leaned back against him, her head falling back against his shoulder as she closed her eyes.  She surrendered to the seductive mood surrounding them.  Giving in to his sensual touches she did something she never would have pictured herself doing until she had met Chris.  Letting the soap drop to the bottom of the tub she turned back around to face him.  Before he could ask her what she was doing she kissed him--her arms going around his neck as their lips and tongues moved together.  Hoping up slightly she wrapped her legs around his waist.  Chris let out a noise of surprise as he turned slightly--pressing her back against the wall for support. His lips soon left hers as he braced his hands against the wall at either side of her.  Kristen's breath came in shallow gasps as she leaned her head back, allowing him to completely ravish her neck and throat. 

"I-I...I thought of...something else I've never done." She told him, her fingers becoming tangled in his dark hair.  His mouth moved along her jaw toward her ear.  Kristen let out a groan as she tightened her legs around him--drawing him impossibly closer.  "I've never..." She swallowed, fighting to overcome the fog surrounding her and threatening to take her over.  Chris pulled back and she opened her eyes.  The look passing between them told her he knew what she was getting at.  "You want to be the first?" She asked.  Kristen couldn't help the giggle that escaped as Chris growled at her, before once more attacking her mouth with his.  Their tongues battled for supremacy as he swatted her ass--urging her higher up his body for a moment.  When she came back down she was sure her neighbors could hear the loud groan of pleasure they shared as he slid into her. 

But she didn't care.  

The world and all the people who were suddenly so interested in her life and their relationship could go on their merry way without them.  All she cared about was the man currently working on bringing her closer and closer to her release.  The man she was helplessly, head over heels, in love with and who she knew loved her back just as much.  The man who's name she cried out moments later and who then collapsed against her--his mouth trailing kisses along her neck and shoulder as they both struggled for breath. 

"That was..." he panted as she unwound her legs from around him and slid down his body. 

"Incredible." She supplied, kissing him.  He hummed in agreement, nodding his head as he kissed her back.  "Amazing." She continued with another kiss.  Again he hummed and nodded, his hands coming up to frame her face.  "Earth shattering." She kissed him again.

"All of the above." He remarked and she smiled as their eyes met.  "I love you." He proclaimed. 

"Because I shared my cheesecake and let you be the first to make love to me in the shower?" She teased.  He rolled his eyes as she reached over and turned the water off.  "I love you, too."  She told him.  "I love you, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She's my cherry pie.

Cool drink of water,

Such a sweet surprise.

Tastes so good,

Make a grown man cry.

Sweet cherry pie, oh yeah.

"Oh my heck!" Kristen exclaimed a few minutes later and she and Chris were vying for space in front of her bathroom mirror.  "I love that song!" She smiled at him, watching as he stood moving back and forth slightly as he sang the Warrant song.

"Did you just say, ‘oh my heck'?" He laughed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"And what if I did?" She asked, bumping him with her hip.  He just laughed again and shook his head. 

"Who says that?" He asked, continuing to laugh.

"Cool people." She countered.  He continued chuckling and she stuck her tongue out at him then continued singing the song he had begun.  "She's my cherry pie/Put a smile on your face, ten miles wide.  Looks so good/Bring a tear to your eye.  Sweet cherry pie." She turned around, doing a dance as she moved out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. She only took a few steps however, when Chris grabbed a hold of her arm and spun her around to face him.  She laughed. 

"You're my cherry pie."  He stated as he pressed his lips against hers. 

"Mmmm..." Kristen hummed as she wrapped her arms around his neck.  She licked her lips as she kissed him back.  "I like cherry pie."

"So do I." Chris replied as he put his arms around her waist and pulled her close.  "I really like cherry pie."  Kristen grinned.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as they stood looking at each other.  "I like this, too." He observed.

"What?" She asked.

"This." He nodded, gesturing between them.  "You and me.  Going to sleep and waking up together.  Getting ready together.  You know...this."

Kristen fought the smile that wanted to break out across her face at his admission.  She saw the tinge of pink on his cheeks and she leaned towards him--kissing him softly.  "I like it, too." She admitted, nodding her head.  Chris tightened his arms around her as he kissed her back.  "I like it, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kris?"

Kris turned as Amie walked into her office a few days later.  "One second." She mouthed as she held up one finger then went back to the conversation she was having over the phone.  "Thank you." She said to the man she'd been talking to for the last forty-five minutes.  "I'm very excited to have the opportunity to be working with the group.  I'll be in touch with all the final details in the next few weeks."  The conversation ended and Kristen hung up the phone.  "Guess who I just got to sign on for the concert?" She asked, turning to look at her friend.

"Have you seen this?" Amie asked, holding out what looked like a folded section of newspaper.

"What is it?" Kristen asked, taking the paper from the other girl--her excitement over having someone finally commit to the benefit concert dissipating.  Amie's somber expression and concerned eyes made Kristen's heart begin fluttering anxiously in her chest.  "What's going on, Ames?"

"You'll see." Amie remarked as she sat down on the edge of Kristen's desk. 

Kristen looked down at the paper, her eyes scanning over the articles.  "Am am I looking...for..." she trailed off as her eyes caught an all too familiar name printed on the page in front of her.  Her jaw clenched and her fingers crumpled the edges of the paper as she continued reading the article that had been printed in the Entertainment Section that morning.

In response to the report earlier this week that he is currently involved, romantically, with a married woman, Chris Kirkpatrick (of N SYNC fame) release the following statement yesterday: "While the reports that I am dating Kristen Miller are true, some of the particulars of our relationship and her marital status are not.  Kristen has been separated from her husband for the last six months and for the last six months has been in the process of getting a divorce due to reasons that will remain between us out of consideration for her privacy.  She and I only met about a month ago.  She has been nothing but honest with me about the situation involving her soon to be ex-husband and the status of our relationship has nothing to do with her divorce."

We were curious and contacted Ms. Miller's "soon to be ex-husband" as Chris refers to him, to get his side of the story and were shocked to hear his response.  "I feel it is my duty," Mr. Kevin Miller, Kristen's husband said, "To let everyone know that the statement that was released yesterday by Mr. Kirkpatrick is a complete lie. It is true my wife and I are separated but it only happened recently and, until I went to the apartment where she is staying one night to try and talk with her-to try and work things out-I wasn't sure why she had left me or why she was insisting on getting a divorce.  That night I found my wife and Mr. Kirkpatrick together and finally understood why she was leaving me.  My wife and I have only been together a few years but I have worked hard to give her a good life.  We have a nice house and cars and more luxuries than we can really afford, but it was never enough for her.  Somehow she met and became involved with Mr. Kirkpatrick and decided that his lifestyle was more to her liking than the one I could give her working an honest day's work.  I feel hurt and betrayed.  It's difficult living and being in love with someone only to find out they're not who you think they are.  I also feel I should warn Mr. Kirkpatrick that he should get out now.  As soon as something bigger and better comes her way she will leave you like she left me."

Kristen was fuming. 

She crumpled the newspaper up and angrily slammed it down on her desk.  Grabbing her purse she stood and stormed out of her office.

"Kris?" Amie called out as she quickly followed after her.  "Kristen, wait--"

"Tell Michael I had to leave early." Kristen said as she left the administration area.  "I'll make up the time tomorrow."  She gritted her teeth as she stalked out into the front area of the hospital and out to the parking lot.  "I have to go kill my husband."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good afternoon.  Welcome to Shuster and Baldwin Architecture, how can I help you?"

Kristen glared at the petite brunette sitting behind the desk at the architectural firm Kevin worked for.  "Is Kevin in?" She asked.

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. Miller?" The receptionist asked, hitting a few keys on her keyboard.

"No." Kristen replied, shortly.

"I don't know if Mr. Miller is available today for any walk-ins.  He--"

"He's my husband." Kristen said, cutting the girl off.  The receptionist looked a bit startled-at Kristen's tone of voice or the words she had said, Kristen wasn't sure.  And she really didn't care.  "He has time." She continued.  "I just need to know if he's here.  Is he here?" She asked, quickly losing her patience.  She knew she was beginning to make a spectacle of herself and the few people waiting in the lobby were staring at her.  But again, she didn't care.  She only had one thing on her mind at the moment and she wasn't going to let anything or anyone stand in her way right now.

"Y-yes." The girl replied hesitantly.  "B-but I--"

"No buts." Kristen said, holding up her hand as she once again cut the girl off.  "He's either here, or he's not.  I just--"  A movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and Kristen's jaw clenched tightly.  She spotted Kevin down the hallway and her anger quickly took over.  "Kevin!" She called out as she began stalking towards him.  He stopped and looked at her--his eyes widening slightly.  "You low-life, good for nothing, lying, cheating, sorry ass, son of a bitch!" She exclaimed.  People stopped talking and head's started popping out of offices as she quickly covered the distance between herself and the man in her sights.  Kristen kept her eyes locked on Kevin's. 

"Kristen." He chuckled nervously, a phony smile plastered on his face.  His eyes darted around the office and then back to her.  "Sweetheart, what are you--"

He was cut off as Kristen's open palm connected with his cheek.  His head snapped to the side and Kristen heard someone behind her gasp in surprise.  "Don't sweetheart me, jackass." She spat out.  "How dare you!  How dare you say those things and make up that ridiculous story!  Have you completely lost it?  What the hell is your problem?!  I don't--" Kevin grabbed a hold of her arm and pulled her forcefully into the closest empty office.  "Let me go!" Kristen exclaimed, fighting against him.  He squeezed her arm painfully as he closed the door behind them and pushed her back against the wall. 

"What the hell is your problem?" He hissed, leaning over her.  His hand was still on her arm and Kristen knew she was going to have bruises in the morning in the shape of his fingerprints.  "What the hell give you the right to waltz in here and start yelling like a lunatic, calling me names and slapping me?!  I should call the police and have them haul your crazy ass downtown and lock you up for a few days." He threatened. 

Kristen finally wrenched her arm free from his grasp and shoved him away from her.  "What the hell gives you the right to say what you said about me to the media?!" She yelled, completely forgetting that there were a couple dozen people probably standing right outside the office door, listening intently to what was going on inside that room. 

"They called and asked me what my response was to the statement that was released about us." He replied simply.

"And so you decided to make up that bullshit of a story!?" She exclaimed.  "You're crazy!  You're completely crazy!  You need to be locked away somewhere in a padded cell.  You are not going to put this all on me.  I am not the reason we are getting this divorce and you know it." His eyes narrowed dangerously and she saw his jaw clench as he attempted to stare her down.  Kristen laughed.  "You don't scare me."  She said taking a step towards him.  He countered by taking a step backwards.  "I'm not afraid of you."

"You should be." He replied. 

"What's that's supposed to mean?" She asked.  He remained silent so she took another step, backing him up even more.  "I have put up with your bullshit for long enough, Kevin and I'm through!  I want you to stop."

"Stop what?" He asked.

"Stop this!" She exclaimed continuing to walk forward.  "Stop everything."  Kevin continued backing up as she advanced towards him, until he ran into the desk in the center of the room.  "No more taking and sending pictures of me to the tabloids.  No more bullshit statements about how I'm doing you wrong and walking out on you because I'm money and fame happy.  No more sad stories about how you're the one that's been betrayed.  No more fake smiles and sending me flowers and showing up unannounced at my door and trying to get back into my good graces.  We're done.  Move on."

"You're making a mistake, sweetheart." He replied.

"Wrong, Kevin." She stated, folding her arms across her chest.  "You're the one who made the mistake.  You made your choice a long time ago, and now you have to live with the consequences.  I've moved on.  I'm with someone else now and I want you to leave me alone.  We're done." She repeated.  "It's over.  Are we clear?" She asked.  Kevin remained silent.  "Are we clear?" Kristen repeated.

"Crystal." He finally ground out through clenched teeth. 

"Good." She replied as she straightened and stepped back.  She tugged on the hem of her shirt.  "Then I'll see you at our next meeting."  She looked at him for a moment then, statisfied that she had made her point, she turned and walked out of the office.  She squared her shoulders as she walked back down the hall towards the front of the office--aware of the stares she was getting, but making eye contact with nobody.  She had done what she'd come to do and she was leaving, feeling stronger than she had in a long time.  A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as the lyrics to one of her favorite songs suddenly came to mind--a very fitting illustration of what she had just done and how now she was feeling. 

Hush, just stop
There's nothing you can do or say, baby
I've had enough
I'm not your property as from today, baby
You might think that I won't make it on my own
But now I'm...

Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I'm stronger

Than I ever thought that I could be, baby
I used to go with the flow
Didn't really care ‘bout me
You might think that I can't take it, but you're wrong

Cuz now I'm...

Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I'm stronger

Kristen stepped out into the warm afternoon.  She put on her sunglasses as she took a deep breath--a sense of freedom filling her.  She'd done what she'd wanted to do since first finding out about Kevin's infidelity.  She'd stood her ground, told him to leave her alone, and hadn't allowed him to bully her into silence or tears.

A smile slid across her face as she walked across the parking lot--too busy reveling in her newly discovered sense of empowerment to feel the eyes that were following her, boring into the back of her head with an angry intensity. 

~~~~~~~~

Kevin Miller watched from his office window as his wife got into her Jeep and drove away.  Anger filled him--his jaw clenching and his hands fisting at his sides as he thought about what she had just done to him.  How dare she show up like that and humiliate him in front of his boss and co-workers!  How dare she think she could just walk in here and talk to him like she had--demand that he leave her alone!  She was his wife, damn it, and they weren't done until he said they were.

"Better watch your back, sweetheart." He muttered under his breath as he turned and sat down behind his desk.  "We're far from over."

Chapter End Notes:

sooo.....whaddya think?? 

Song credits: "Cherry Pie" by Warrant and "Stronger" by Britney Spears  :)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris