Author's Chapter Notes:
it's a long one :)  I had some trouble writing this one, but it finally all came together thanks to my bff, "Rachel".  Hopefully y'all like it and please, don't laugh too hard if my basketball references and terms aren't 100% right...lol.... 
Three months later...

"Thank you." Kristen said as she tilted her head to the side, sandwiching her phone between her ear and shoulder.  "Yes, I just got the fax." She continued as she grabbed a stack of papers from her fax machine at work.  She flipped through the pages, a combined sense of relief and freedom flowing through her.  She scanned over the words printed on the paper.  "I really appreciate everything you've done for me these last three months, Mr. Jacobson."

"You're welcome, Kristen." The man replied as Kristen put the papers in her hand into a manila folder she grabbed from one of her desk drawers.  "I know you've been waiting a long time for this."

"Yes." Kristen agreed.  She twisted her wrist, looking at her watch.  "Damn!" She swore under her breath when she saw the time.  She was late!  But what else is new?  She mused with a roll of her eyes.  Grabbing her purse and clutching the file folder to her chest, Kristen turned and left her office.  "Thank you, again." She said, not meaning to be rude.  "I'm sorry.  I really have to go." She apologized.

"I understand.  Give me a call if you have any questions about any of those documents." Mr. Jacobson said with a chuckle. 

"I will." Kristen said.  She ended the call as she hurried down the hall and out towards the front doors of the hospital.  She looked at the time again on her cell phone and let out another curse.  She hadn't planned on being at the office so long.  The ten minutes she had promised Amie had turned into forty-five and Kristen knew the other girl was probably freaking out right now and was going to completely chew her out when she finally showed up. Kristen blew out a harried breath as she got in to her Jeep, pulled out of her parking space, and began driving across town.  As she glanced over her shoulder to change lanes, her eyes caught sight of the manila folder she'd filled earlier and a smile lifted the corners of her mouth.  This was the fax she had been waiting for, for almost a year.  A part of her couldn't believe it was finally over and she was bringing the papers along as evidence because she knew Chris wasn't going to believe it either. 

A familiar and favorite song began playing on the radio, making Kristen's smile widen.  "Yes!"  She exclaimed, reaching over to turn up the radio.  "This day just keeps getting better and better!"

This time I wonder what it feels like
To find the one in this life
The one we all dream of
But dreams just aren't enough
So I´ll be waiting for the real thing.
I'll know it by the feeling.
The moment when we´re meeting
Will play out like a scene straight off the silver screen.
So I`ll be holdin' my own breath
Right up to the end
Until that moment when
I find the one that I'll spend forever with.

Kristen turned the radio up even more then gripped the steering wheel with both hands as she took a deep breath and began singing along with Chad Kroger at the top of her lungs.

`Cause nobody wants to be the last one there.
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Someone to love with my life in their hands.
There`s gotta be somebody for me like that.

`Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they´re not alone.
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere.
There`s gotta be somebody for me out there.

She stopped singing along as the lyrics of the song suddenly got to her.  She'd heard and sung along with this song more times than she could count but she couldn't remember it hitting her like it was right now.  Her mind flashed back over the last year of her life--cataloguing everything that had happened.  There had been a time, not so long ago, when she had wondered if she would ever be able to find someone who could truly and completely love her.  Someone who would cherish all of the little things that made her who she was.  Someone whom she could trust.  Someone who would make her happy; make her laugh; make her smile.  Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she thought about the man who did all of that-the man who had given her his heart.  Kevin had shattered her sense of self and confidence but Chris had given it back to her.  If she hadn't have run into him that day in the parking lot....she didn't know where she would be right now.

You can´t give up!
Lookin´ for that diamond in the rough
You never know but when it shows up
Make sure you´re holdin` on
‘Cause it could be the one, the one you´re waiting on

‘Cause nobody wants to be the last one there.
And everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Someone to love with my life in their hands.
There has gotta be somebody for me
Ohhhhhh.


Nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they´re not alone.
Is there somebody else that feels the same somewhere?
There`s gotta be somebody for me out there.

Nobody wants to be the last one there
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Is there somebody else that feels the same somewhere?
There has gotta be somebody for me out there.
 

The last three months had been incredible.  After that horrible night at the house with Kevin, Kristen had moved in with Chris and nothing had been the same since. The move had made gossip column headlines for weeks afterwards--especially once everyone got wind of Kristen's abduction and imprisonment by, fight with, and the subsequent arrest of her husband.  The publicity was a double edged sword: their privacy was gone for a while as everyone wanted to get their side of the story and were constantly hounding them for the latest development of the ongoing drama, but it also gave them the exposure they needed for their combined charity event. 

The fans had found out that N SYNC was getting back together for their once annual Challenge for the Children basketball game and things had exploded.  Tickets had sold quickly and vendors had readily stepped in to offer their services once they got wind of the event.  Everyone remembered when the guys had done these games before and, thanks to all the contacts that each of the guys had, Chris and Kristen had been able to put together the "kickass" event they had originally talked about when they first started dating.  Both the Children's Hospital and Chris' foundation were receiving sizable donation checks--to be presented later today as part of the ending ceremony--and Kristen couldn't be more excited about the success of this venture. 

Once he had seen the competent and professional way Kristen had been able to pull everything together in so short a time, Michael had offered her a raise and a promotion and Chris had asked again if she wanted to be in charge of marketing and fundraising for his foundation.  Kristen had thought long and hard about both offers but--as tempting as the idea was to work for Chris--she had finally decided to go with Michael's offer.  Kristen had heard it was never good to mix business with pleasure.  She didn't want anything to come between them.  Kristen loved the concept behind Chris' foundation and she knew, after this successful joint venture bringing N SYNC back together and raising funds for both organizations, Kristen knew there would be many more opportunities down the road that would give her a chance to work with The Chris Kirkpatrick Foundation again.  She loved the idea of actually getting to interact with the kids she was trying to help on a regular basis--playing and having fun with them--instead of going to stuffy black tie affairs trying to coax stodgy millionaires out of their money.  She wanted to interact with the kids they were helping--to see the smiles on their faces and hear their excited giggles. 

Kristen smiled as she entered the parking lot of the Amway Arena downtown.  She was amazed at the amount of cars that were already there and her smile grew as she remembered the game Chris had taken her to a few months ago: their first official date and the night Chris had talked her into helping him get this event organized.  Oh, how far they'd come since that night!  Kristen drove around to the back of the arena, slowing down and showing security her ID badge.  They waved her through and she parked in between Amie's red Mazda and Chris' Escalade.  She checked her watch again and swore.  Even though traffic had been light and she'd gotten here in good time, she was still late.  Grabbing her purse and the manila folder setting on the passenger seat, Kristen scrambled out of the Jeep and hurried towards the building. 

Kristen flashed her ID badge once again at security and was let through the back doors of the arena.  Walking through the halls, Kristen pushed her hair back from her face.  She looked down at the folder in her arms and smiled.  She needed to find Chris; to share the good news with him.  She was free!  She was finally free!  After being arrested, Kevin had been placed in a psychiatric hold for 72 hours.  His arrest and sentence in regards to his kidnapping of her and the charges of assault that Kristen had brought against him, had allowed Kristen to finally put her petition for divorce before a judge. 

Three months ago, Kristen had made the decision to walk away--to stop fighting and give Kevin everything.  Today she had the papers showing that she had been given everything.  The house was hers, to do with what she wanted, and all of their joint assets and bank account information were now under her control.  Tomorrow morning she was going to contact a realtor and put the house up on the market, but right now all she wanted to do was find Chris and tell him the good news.      

She was sidetracked, however, and stopped--a smile coming to her face when she rounded a corner and saw Amie talking with Joey, Justin, and JC.  Amie laughed at something JC said and reached out, putting her hand on his arm in an obvious and flirtatious manner.  Careful, Ames.  She thought with a roll of her eyes as she recognized her friend's attempt to get the guy's attention.  Don't get too attached to him, he's married. 

"Amie." Kristen called out, drawing the other girl's attention away from the guys. 

"Kristen!" Amie exclaimed.  She said something to the three guys then turned and hurried over to Kristen.  "Where the hell have you been?" She asked, grabbing Kristen's arm.  "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen hummed as she looked over Amie's shoulder at the retreating backs of Joey, Justin, and JC.  "I can see that." She teased as her eyes went back to Amie. "You do realize he's married, right?" Kristen asked, in reference to JC.

"Of course." Amie replied as the girls continued walking down the hall. 

"You realize those three are all married, right?" Kristen continued with a laugh. 

"Yes, bitch." Amie answered with a slug to Kristen's arm. 

"Ow." Kristen exclaimed with another laugh, rubbing her arm.

"But just because they're married doesn't mean I still can't do some harmless flirting, does it?" Amie asked innocently.

"I'd be careful if I were you." Kristen warned with a chuckle as she shook her head.  "I only met her a few days ago but JC's wife, Rachel, isn't the kind of girl that's going to take too kindly to you flirting with her husband."

"I can take her." Amie replied confidently.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that." Kristen mused under her breath.  "And Aubrey may be quiet," she continued. "But she's not going to stand for it either so don't think about going after Justin, in fact...don't think about going after any of them.  Justin, JC, and Joey are married and I'll kill you if you even think of going after Chris that only leaves you Lance but since he's gay I don't really think--"    

"What took you so long?" Amie asked with a laugh, cutting Kristen off and changing the subject.  "You said it was only going to be ten minutes."

Kristen looked at her friend knowingly.  She smiled.  "I know, I'm sorry." She  apologized. "It was only going to be ten minutes, but then I got a phone call and had to wait for a fax to come through and...you know how it is.  I'm sorry." She offered again. 

"It's okay." Amie said.  "You're here now." She smiled.  "Let's get this show on the road!"    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood in the dressing room he'd been given, waiting for the game to start.  He gripped the counter he was standing in front of him and hung his head.  Closing his eyes he counted to ten then looked up--meeting his reflection in the mirror.  He stared into the eyes of the man in the mirror for a long time.  It was a strange feeling to be standing there, looking at yourself, and yet not recognizing anything of what you were looking at.  It wasn't long before the questions started coming to his mind--something inside trying to break down his walls of confidence and his assurance.

What are you doing? The voice questioned as he looked into the brown eyes looking back at him. 

Not this time.  He answered back, shaking his head slightly.  His grip on the edge of the counter tightened. 

What makes you so sure about this?  The voice questioned.  This is going to change everything.  Are you ready for that.  Are you ready to-

The door behind him suddenly opened and Chris jumped in surprise as Justin poked his head into the room. 

"You ready, man?"  Justin asked, giving him a weird look when he saw Chris' reaction.  "Everyone's waitin' on you.  You okay?" 

"Yeah." Chris nodded.  "I'm fine."  He looked at his reflection one last time as he took a deep breath and then blew it out.  He clapped his hands together and smiled as he looked back at Justin-pushing the questioning voice from his mind.  "Let's do this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies and Gentlemen...welcome to N SYNC's Challenge for the Children celebrity basketball game benefiting the Florida Children's Hospital and the Chris Kirkpatrick Foundation."

The crowd's cheering in the Amway Arena in downtown Orlando increased in volume as the lights went down and the announcer's voice came over the P.A. system--signaling the beginning of the game.  Rachel grinned and let out an excited squeal.  With everything that had happened over the last couple years, she was still amazed and giddy whenever something involving N SYNC happened.  All of her secret hopes and wishes had come true since she'd met JC: they had dated and fallen in love, he had released a second solo album, he had proposed to her, she had become close friends with Justin Timberlake, N SYNC had gotten back together and released a fourth and final album, she and JC had gotten married, she had had JC's baby and now she was sitting in the audience as her favorite group of guys played their charity basketball game once again.  She wasn't sure how much better life could get. 

It would be better if Megan were here. Rachel thought with a disappointed sigh.  She wished her best friend had been able to come with her, but Megan had declined Rachel's offer of a ticket to the game insisting instead that she would watch Claire so Rachel and JC could have some time alone together.  Rachel balked at the offer at first--not believing that Megan didn't want to come.  How could anybody not want to come to this game?!  Rachel worried that Megan felt like she had received the short end of the stick.  Although Megan's husband, Jackson, was an incredible man who loved Megan more than life itself, he was no pop star.  Rachel wondered if that was why Megan didn't want to come--because she didn't want to have the fact that Rachel had married JC and was now intimately connected to their favorite musical group and she as not rubbed in her face yet again.  Megan had assured her that that was not the reason she didn't want to go--trying to convince Rachel that she simply didn't want to go.  It wasn't that she didn't still love the guys, but...she had reached the point where she was over her high school obsession with them.  Megan didn't need to go to anymore events or concerts.  She was married and, with her second child, Emily, having been born last month, Megan was even abusier now being a wife and mother.  Rachel had finally accepted Megan's answer and her offer to watch Claire for the weekend but that didn't erase the fact she still thought this game would have been made better had Megan been here with her. 

"What's wrong?"

"Huh?"  Rachel asked as she turned to look at Aubrey who sat beside her.  Aubrey looked at her in question, having obviously heard her disappointed sigh a moment ago.  "Oh...nothing." Rachel assured the other girl with a smile.  "Nothing." 

"Playing for the Knights...number 29: Justin Timberlake!"

Both girls turned towards the court as the announcers called out Justin's name and he ran out onto the floor.  The girls around them exploded, yelling and cheering.  Rachel smiled.  "Justin looks good." She commented, glancing over at Aubrey with a smile. 

Aubrey let go an appreciative sigh. "He always looks good." She replied and Rachel giggled.  The girls looked back at the court.  Justin waved at the crowd, turning around to wave at everyone.  He spotted the girls in their seats and blew a kiss to Aubrey.  The girls sitting around them, however, assumed the kiss had been given to them and they all erupted into cheers and excited squeals.  Rachel and Aubrey looked at each other and laughed.  Aubrey waved back and blew Justin a kiss in return.  Rachel smiled as she observed her friend--the look of pure happiness on Aubrey's face and the complete love and adoration Rachel knew Aubrey shared with the man whose ring and last name she wore with pride gave Rachel an immense feeling of satisfaction.  She sat up a little taller in her chair and puffed her chest out slightly in accomplishment.  She had known from the moment those two had met in her kitchen after Justin had surprised her and Aubrey had dropped her soda and brownie all over the floor that they were meant to be together.  Aubrey had been the perfect cure for all of Justin's past heartbreak and she was the perfect counter balance to his crazy life in the spotlight.  She provided him the stability and sense of normalcy he needed-much like Rachel did for JC. 

And Kristen for Chris. Rachel thought as she caught sight of the woman who had been the one behind making today a reality down on the sidelines.  Rachel had been dying to meet Kristen since Chris had started dating her and she'd finally had the chance to a few days ago.  She had been curious as to what kind of woman this Kristen was.  Kristen had done what no other woman before her had been able to do: convert Chris from his bachelor ways.  Rachel again felt a smug sense of satisfaction as an arrogant grin spread across her face.  She leaned back in her chair-folding her arms across her chest.  If she hadn't convinced Chris to go after what he wanted and surprise Kristen at work earlier this year they wouldn't all be sitting here right now and Chris would not have the permanent, happy grin on his face that he was sporting now.  When you're good...you're good. Rachel thought.  I should have gone into the match-making business not the event planning business.  She mused as the announcer continued calling out the other players on Justin's team.  Joey and Chris were on Justin's team, along with Timbaland, Justin's friend and Tennman artist Matt Morris, Trace, the guys from Chris' new band he was putting together, LeBron James, and Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.

"And playing for the Daze...Lance Bass and JC Chasez."

Rachel sat up and cheered loudly as JC jogged out onto the court.  "Okay, I'm sorry.  I have to take it back." She said, talking to Aubrey though her eyes never left JC.  "JC is the one who is lookin' good!  Mmmm...hot damn, that man is beyond sexy!"

"Control yourself." Aubrey commented with a chuckle.  "The game is just starting.  Don't get all hot and bothered now.  You got a couple hours before you can jump him." Rachel laughed as she pushed Aubrey playfully and looked at her in surprise.  "What?" Aubrey asked at the look on Rachel's face.

"Is it me or Justin that's been the  bad influence?" Rachel asked.  "Cuz the Aubrey I met a few years ago wouldn't have just said what you said to me."

Aubrey chuckled as she shrugged and turned her attention back to the game.  "It's a toss up."

Rachel laughed again as the rest of the players on the Daze came out: Derrick Rose from the Chicago Bulls, Kobe Bryant, T.I., the guys' long-time manager Johnny Wright, a couple of the guys from the N SYNC band, and a player that caught everyone by surprise-AJ McLean from the Backstreet Boys

"This is gonna be good." Rachel exclaimed as she rubbed her hands and grinned excitedly as Justin and JC came up the center of the court for the tip off.  The ref threw the ball up.  Both guys jumped for it.  Justin had a slight height advantage on JC which gave him an edge and allowed his team to gain control of the ball first.  "Game on!"

The girls watched as the game continued, ribbing each other every time their man missed a shot--something that Aubrey was able to do a lot more than Rachel.  "I'm beginning to realize that Jace really isn't a good basketball player." Rachel laughed as she watched her husband take and miss his second free throw after Dwight Howard was given a personal foul while JC had been trying to make a shot.

Aubrey laughed as Justin quickly took possession of the ball again and easily made another basket for the Knights.  She cupped her hands around her mouth for a second as she cheered then clapped.  "Go, Knights!"  She turned to Rachel.  "That's my guy." She said, pointing down at the court--rubbing in the fact that Justin really was the basketball champ he claimed to be.  Rachel humphed as she folded her arms, and slouched down in her chair, though she couldn't help the chuckle that soon escaped.  She rolled her eyes as she shook her head.  It shouldn't surprise her that Justin was turning out to be the star of the show.  He had always been the star of the show--the one that liked to put on a show and be the center of attention.   

Rachel sat up quickly, cheering loudly as JC stole the ball from Chris and began running the ball down to his team's end of the court.  "Go, go, go!" She yelled, standing up to cheer.  "Yes!" She exclaimed, jumping excitedly when JC made the basket.  "Yes, yes, yes!  Great shot, honey!"  She yelled out-ignoring the looks she got from the girls around her.  "I love you!"  She exclaimed loudly.   "I want to have your baby!  Oh wait, I already have!"  She said with a laugh. 

"Would you sit down!" Aubrey demanded as she tugged on Rachel's arm, forcing her to sit down.  "You are ridiculous." Aubrey told her, unable to keep from laughing at Rachel's antics. 

"That's why you love me." Rachel replied with a grin.  Aubrey just shook her head as she continued laughing. 

"Excuse me.  Sorry.  Excuse me."

Rachel and Aubrey turned to looked down the aisle.  They smiled as they saw Kristen moving towards them-stepping over and trying to scootch past the other people sitting on their row.  "Can I sit here?" She asked as she finally made it to Rachel and Aubrey and the empty chair beside them.

"Of course." Rachel smiled.  "Sit your ass down and come join us as we oogle and make fun of the guys."

Kristen chuckled as she sat down next to Rachel.  "We were just trying to decide who the better player is: Justin or JC." Rachel told her. 

"How about Chris?" Kristen asked as the three of them watched the oldest member of N SYNC jump and easily make a three point shot.  "Whoo!"  Kristen yelled, clapping.  "That was beautiful, did you see that?!  That was beautiful!  That was beautiful, baby!"  She called out.  "Damn, that man is hot.  Don't you think he's hot?" Kristen asked, fanning herself.  "He's hot!"

Rachel laughed as she put her arm around Kristen's shoulder.  "You're going to fit in just fine around here." She proclaimed.  "Just fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen watched from her seat as Michael came out onto the court and presented both Chris and the hospital director with the checks at the end of the game.  The audience around her clapped and cheered as he explained that they had been able to raise fifty thousand dollars which was going to be split between both organizations.  Kristen smiled in excitement.  That amount would do so much for the kids here in Orlando that needed it.  Everyone started to get up after the check ceremony, assuming that the event was over.  She felt a sense of sadness and disappointment sweep over the crowd and she sympathized with them.  She'd like to be able to say that this was going to happen again next year, but she wasn't sure.  She'd love to be able to get the guys to all sign contacts saying they would do this every year from now on, but she knew that wasn't realistic.  Hopefully, the stars would align again in the future and they'd be able to get back together to play some basketball for a good cause, but that wasn't something she could guarantee at this point.  Kristen took a deep breath and stood--intent on making her way down to the floor to start cleaning up.

Until she heard a very familiar voice come over the P.A. system. 

~~~~~~~

Chris quickly grabbed the microphone from Kristen's boss as everyone started getting up to leave.  "Before everyone starts to leave," he began, making the crowd stop and quiet down.  Everyone turned to look at him in question at this unexpected turn of events.  "I want to thank you all for coming out and supporting us." He continued as people began sitting down again.  "It's meant so much to us that you all are still out there supporting us and listening to our music." The crowd cheered and Chris waited for it to quiet down again.  "You just saw the money we were able to raise today because of you and I wanted to personally say thank you to each and every one of you."  His eyes scanned the arena, searching for a familiar face.  Where is she?  "There's one more person I want to personally thank.  Vanilla?"  He called her out.  "Where you at girl?" He waited, turning to look at each side of the court.  "Kristen?"  He called out again.  "Come out, come out, wherever you are."  He continued in a sing-song voice.  Finally he saw her stand up from her seat and began walking down towards him.  "There she is!"  He exclaimed, making a show of pointing at her.  The crowd applauded and Chris grinned as he saw the blush spread across her cheeks.  She smiled and waved at everyone as she walked across the floor to him. 

"What are you doing?" She hissed, looking at him pointedly. 

Chris just smiled as he put an arm around her shoulders and began speaking to the crowd again.  "The only reason we're all here today is because of this woman." He told everyone.

"That's not true--"

"Don't interrupt." Chris said, cutting her off.  "As I was saying, the only reason we're all here today is because of this woman.  A few months ago I told her I was thinking of getting this game going again.  I don't even know why we stopped, but it doesn't matter.  I told Kristen I wanted to get this going again.  We talked and, well...you can see what happened." He said, spreading his arms wide.  "Kristen was able to get this whole thing pulled together in three months--a feat I'm not sure even the most seasoned of professionals can do--and I think she deserves a round of applause." 

The crowd erupted and Kristen turned to look at him--her cheeks blazing and a warning look in her beautiful eyes.  Chris just grinned at her as he stuck the microphone under one arm and put his hands together, clapping along with everyone else in thanks for everything she had done.  She turned back to the crowd, smiling and nodding, graciously accepting the praise being given her.  He had watched her the last three months and marveled at her talent and abilities.  His heart began pounding in nervousness as he took the microphone in one hand again, his other hand slipping into the pocket of the shorts he was wearing. 

"Now, I just have one more thing and then everyone can leave." He said.  Kristen turned to look at him again--questions burning in her eyes.  Chris took a deep breath, his heart about to beat right out of his chest. Here goes nothing.  He thought, ignoring that voice from earlier that was trying to convince him not to do this.  Kristen continued looking at him, waiting. "Kristen?"  He said, slowly lowering down to one knee.  Kristen's eyes went wide as dinner plates as the crowd around them erupted in cheers and squeals of excitement.  Kristen lifted a hand to her chest, her breath coming in quick shallow gasps as he pulled the diamond engagement ring he'd purchased last week from his pocket. 

"Oh my go--" She gasped.  She lifted the hand from her chest and put it over her mouth.  She shook her head slightly, staring at him in disbelief. 

"Kristen, will you marry me?" He asked, blurting the words out before he talked himself out of it.  The noise from the crowd was almost deafening as he said those four little words and waited--his heart in his throat--unable to breath.  If someone had told him he would one day be in this position, he would have laughed right in their face.  Chris Kirkpatrick was never getting married!  Chris Kirkpatrick loved to party and drink and didn't have the time to be tied down to one woman for the rest of his life.  Chris Kirkpatrick was scared of getting married.  He had seen what his parents and others--including the woman standing in front of him--had gone through by being married.  He didn't want to open himself up to that kind of pain.  He didn't want to open himself up and be that dependent on another person, yet here he was: knee bent, ring extended, question asked...waiting.    

~~~~~~~~~

Kristen stood, completely shocked and speechless--staring at Chris.  This couldn't be real.  She kept telling herself over and over again.  This couldn't be real.  There was no way this was happening.  She hadn't even had a chance to talk to him about the finalization of her divorce this morning.  Everything had been so hectic and crazy and they hadn't had any time alone together.  He was proposing to her, still working under the assumption that she was legally bound to someone else.  He had no idea when she was going to be free to actually marry him, yet he was asking her anyway.  And what the hell made him change his mind?! She wondered, as she continued looking at him.  She knew how he felt about marriage.  They hadn't really had a discussion about it because she knew it would be an open and shut topic.  Chris Kirkpatrick wasn't getting married.  Ever.  He had said it more than one time over the years and Kristen knew that marriage was probably something they were never going to share and she as fine with that.  She'd just gotten out of the marriage from hell and she remembered the struggle Chris had had just asking her to move in with him!  Yet, here he was: knee bent, ring extended, question asked...waiting.

She saw his fingers trembling slightly as he continued to hold the ring out to her.  His brown eyes looking up at her-pleading for an answer, begging her to put him out of his misery, imploring her not to make him look like an idiot in front of all these fans.  Kristen felt a smile slowly spread and had to blink a few times as tears began to blur her vision.  She nodded.  "Yes." She said, her hand lowering from her mouth and Chris almost collapsed to the floor in relief.  "Yes!" She exclaimed, with an excited laugh.  The microphone dropped with a loud thud that echoed through the arena as Chris jumped up and threw his arms around her.  He spun her around as their lips connected over and over again while everyone clapped and cheered.  "Yes, yes, yes!" She told him as she put her hands on either side of his face and looked into his eyes.  "A million times, yes!" She said as she kissed him, her arms locked around his neck.

Chris finally put her back down and Kristen watched as he slid the ring onto her finger.  The ring was simple: a single square cute diamond on a platinum band, but she instantly loved it.  It wasn't anything flashy or fancy, just simple and elegant.  Her eyes met his again and this time she couldn't stop the tears from falling.  Chris put his arms around her and she hugged him tightly.  She couldn't believe she was going to do this.  After everything that had happened with Kevin, she couldn't believe she was really and truly about to do this again.  Her divorce hadn't been final for even a day and here she was accepting someone else's ring!  She had to be crazy.  But this time was different.  This time was going to be different.  This time, there was no hesitation.  There were no questions in the back of her mind.  She and Chris had been through more in the short time they'd been together than most couples experienced in a life time.  She was fortunate in that way.  Because of everything she'd gone through--everything he'd been there for and seen her go through--she was a stronger individual now then she was a few years ago.  She was more confident in herself as a woman and as an individual.  She knew what she wanted and needed in life and she wasn't going to let anyone stand in her way or try to put her down or convince her she wasn't good enough.

Kristen pulled back and looked at Chris again.  "I love you." She said quietly.  He grinned and lowered his head, capturing her lips with his once more. 

"Welcome to the family!"

Kristen and Chris were interrupted and pulled back as Rachel quickly came up to congratulate them.  She squealed excitedly as she gave the couple each a hug then put her arm around Kristen's shoulders and started drawing her away before Kristen could question how Rachel had gotten down from her seat and onto the court so quickly.  "Now, we need to start planning.  It's going to be kind of difficult since you live here in Orlando and I'm in LA, but we can make it work."  She stated confidently.  Kristen looked at the blonde, and couldn't help but laugh over the way she automatically assumed and just stepped right into the action of planning the wedding.  "I'm just starting to pull things together in my head, but here's what I'm thinking so far..."

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the guys came over to congratulate him, teasing him about all the comments he'd made over the years about never getting married and being a bachelor for life.  Chris accepted their ribbing and laughed with them.  He watched as Rachel led Kristen away.  Kristen looked over her shoulder at him--an amused look on her face as Rachel kept talking to her animatedly--and Chris just shrugged in apology.  He knew enough to stay out of it.  When Rachel got an idea in her head there was no stopping her.  If she wanted to plan the wedding, he was going to let her.  It meant less for him to do and he knew it was going to be a spectacular event.  Rachel didn't do anything less than spectacular.

A strange feeling washed over him. 

He was getting married!  His mother was going to be ecstatic.  He knew she worried about him being alone-like all mother's did about their children-but he also knew she understood where his reservations and bachelor stance had come from.  She had met Kristen for the first time last month and had fallen in love with her.  The two women had hit it off immediately which only served to convince Chris even more that what he had just done had been the right decision. 

Kristen was amazing.  They mirrored each other in so many ways and their differences balanced each other out.  She was smart, funny, incredibly beautiful and amazing in bed.  She loved sports as much, if not more than he did, and he didn't even mind that she cheered for the wrong teams.  It just made game time at their house more interesting.  She was kind, sweet, genuine, and made him feel like he could take on the world and conquer it with just her smile.  He was crazy, full of life and energy, and he thanked his lucky stars every day that she had run into him that day at the grocery store and knew if she hadn't have backed into him, he wouldn't be standing here right now. 

Kristen had discovered, shortly after moving in with him, that he'd never gotten his car fixed.  The back fender on his PT Cruiser still held the indentation from her Jeep's bumper from that fateful day in March.  She had questioned him on it, and he had been honest with her.  Why hadn't he gotten it fixed?  Because it was a reminder to him of the first day they had met.  It made him smile every time he saw it and he didn't want to get it fixed.  She had softened at that answer and had thrown her arms around him, kissing him warmly, in response.  Chris grinned at the memory. 

He stood, shaking hands with everyone as they left the floor and waving as the fans in the audience left.  Soon he was left in silence.  The empty arena echoed as he walked to one end and retrieved a ball from one of the racks.  Dribbling it down the court, he stood at the free throw line for a moment then lifted the ball and made the shot.  He watched as the ball landed easily through the net.

"Nice shot."

He looked up, a smile coming to his face as Kristen walked towards him.  She bent down and picked up the ball he had just thrown.  "Think you can do it again?" She challenged as she toss the basketball at him.  He caught it, his eyes never leaving hers. 

"Probably." He replied as he bounced the ball a few times in front of him.  "What do I get if I do?" He asked. 

Kristen stopped a few feet in front of him.  She put her hands on her hips and cocked her head to the side as she looked at him for a few moments.  "If you can make that shot again, I'll marry you." She offered. 

He made a noise of interest as one brow quirked up.  He looked at her for a minute, as if weighing the offer, then turned and focused on the basket in front of him.  He lifted his arms, threw the ball, and watched as it bounced off the backboard and ricocheted back towards them.

"You missed that on purpose!" Kristen accused with a laugh. 

Chris turned to look at her.  "Sorry, sweetheart." He shrugged.  "I'm a confirmed bachelor. Haven't you heard? Marriage really isn't my thing."  He saw her narrow her eyes at him and he couldn't stop laughing. 

"You are so dead!" Kristen proclaimed as she lunged towards him.  Chris turned his back but Kristen jumped on him, locking her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist from behind as she began to laugh with him.  "Marriage isn't your thing?!" She questioned him as he tried to shake her off.

"Nope." He shook his head, still grinning.

"Then why the hell did you just make me go through the last twenty minutes listening to Rachel as she planned out our wedding?" Kristen asked as she finally slid off his back.  Chris turned to look at her.  "That wasn't very nice." She continued with a playful sparkle in her eyes.  She pouted.  "You owe me."

"You're right." Chris nodded, forcing a straight face.  "That wasn't very nice."  He agreed.  He looked around them for a second.  "Tell you what." He said as he jogged over to where the basketball he had been shooting lay about ten feet away.  "If I make this shot, I'll take you home right now and make it up to you."

Kristen looked at him in interest.  "And how to you propose on doing that?" She asked.

He grinned, feeling wicked.  "There's this spot." He told her.  "And I know how to hit it." He continued, watching as one brow of her slowly raised.  "Real good." He promised.  He heard her breath hitch slightly and felt a smug sense of satisfaction sweep through him at the way he was able to so easily affect her.     

"And if you miss?" She asked. 

"I'll still hit it." He replied.

She laughed.  "That's not..." she shook her head.  "They have to be different." She reminded him.  "I mean, I'm all for you hitting it, believe me." She reassured him.  "But there's got to be something more added if you make it."

"Okay." He nodded as he began dribbling the ball in front of him.  "How about: if I miss I'll take you home and make sure you can't walk for a week." He winked at her, grinning at the desire he saw burning in her eyes.  "If I make it," he began walking around her, dribbling the ball as he went.  "I'll still make sure you scream my name more than a few times tonight, but I'll also marry you." 

"I accept the terms." Kristen nodded, her eyes following his.  "Show me what you got."

"That's later." He winked at her and she laughed. 

"Just shoot the damn ball, Kirkpatrick." She demanded with a smile and a roll of her eyes.  "The sooner you do, the sooner we can go home and you can get to work on hitting that spot you claim you're so good at." She continued, with a sassy tilt of her head and a hand on her hip. 

Chris held the ball in his hands as he leaned over and kissed her. "Nothing but net." He said as he pulled back and threw the ball back over his shoulder without looking.

Kristen gasped as she watched the ball's progression over his shoulder.  "No way!" She exclaimed as the ball swished through the net.  "Did you..." she looked at him in astonishment then back at the basketball net.  "That was amazing!"  She proclaimed.  "How did you...how did you do that?!"

"Practice." He shrugged as he put his arms around her and pulled her close. 

Kristen laughed as he kissed her.  "Well, now you're stuck with me." She told him.  "Now you have to marry me."

He grinned as he gave her an affectionate squeeze.  "First things first."  He stated.  "I believe you've got some screaming to do for me, my love." 

Kristen's smile grew as she wound her arms around his neck, her fingers toying with his hair.  "Think you can make me scream, do you?" She asked.

"I know I can make you scream." He replied confidently as he lowered his head, his lips hovering above hers.

Kristen sighed as she closed her eyes and he grinned.  Damn, she was beautiful..."Then I say again," she said, her lips brushing against his lightly.  She opened her eyes and looked at him and Chris felt a shot go through him.  He had made the right decision.  "Show me what you got."

Chapter End Notes:

well.....sad to say, but....this is the end, folks :( 

This story has been a very interesting experience to write.  I never in a million years ever thought I would write a Chris story but, when Kristen told me that's what she wanted for her "door prize"  I couldn't resist the challenge.  I've had a chance to learn more about Chris through my researching and become good friends with whitesoxluvr9 in the process. :)  I love you, you're crazy, and...TAG, you're it!!!

song credit: "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickleback


Completed
azchickadee is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked Door Prize also liked 364 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Crazy Love. The previous story in the series is Two Months. The next story in the series is The Next Big Thing.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris