"No way!" Kristen shook her head as she quickly swallowed the bite she'd taken.  She looked across the table at Chris--ready for a fight.  "The Bears are amazing!" She insisted, arguing his statement regarding how his favorite NFL team was the best there was.  She couldn't remember how they'd gotten on the subject of sports teams but now that they were she hoped he was ready for a fight.  She wasn't going to back down from this one. "Do I need to remind you of all the times my Bears have beaten your Steelers' butts?"

"They haven't-"

"Ah." Kristen held up her hand, cutting him off.

"You can't-"

"Ah." She cut him off again with a shake of her head.

Chris narrowed his eyes as he glared at her.  "Shut up and eat your waffle." He grumbled good-naturedly, pointing at her plate.

"No defense?" Kristen asked with a giggle.  "It's okay." She consoled as she speared another bite and lifted the fork to her mouth.  "We all make mistakes.  There's still time to choose the right side to cheer for."

"Listen," Chris replied, setting his fork down.  Kristen couldn't help laughing--delighted over the fact that she had gotten him so rattled over this subject.  He pointed his finger at her as he leaned across the table.  He opened his mouth as if to say something and she waited expectantly for his rebuttal.  She was slightly disappointed, however, when he seemed to change his mind.  He shut his mouth, pulled back from her and picked up his fork once more.  "Let's just...agree to disagree on this." He said.

Kristen smiled.  For as long as she could remember she had been cheering for Chicago-the Bears, the Bulls, the Blackhawks, the White Sox...Her father had begun indoctrinating her in the world of sports from almost the moment she'd been born and she'd been hooked.  That early education had led Kristen to play volleyball, softball and basketball all through junior high and high school and to watch and cheer her beloved players on in almost every single game.  Some of her favorite memories were of watching football on Saturdays with her dad and she suddenly missed him.

"Why are you such a fan of Chicago?" Chris asked.  "Is that where you're from?"

"No." Kristen shook her head.  "I've lived here in Orlando my whole life." She told him, continuing to eat the plate of breakfast food she'd ordered.  After leaving the bar, Chris had driven her a few blocks away, pulling into the parking lot of IHOP.  She'd been surprised-assuming that because of who he was he was going to take her somewhere a little more upscale--but, as she sat there across the table from him, she could see that beneath all of his fame and money he was just a regular guy.  She admired the fact that he wasn't embarrassed about eating in a pancake house.  The restaurant had been mostly deserted when they'd arrived because of the late hour--except for a group of teenagers in the far corner--and it was still empty, allowing them to talk and laugh and not worry about disturbing the other patrons.  After being seated Chris had promptly ordered a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake, and Kristen hadn't been able to resist ordering her favorite--waffles.  With lots of butter, syrup and powdered sugar.

"My dad was originally from Chicago." She supplied as she cut another bite and put it in her mouth.  Moaning softly.  It had been a while since she'd allowed herself to indulge like this and she was making sure to enjoy it fully.

"Ah." Chris nodded.  "That explains it, then.  Are you an only child?" He asked, voicing the question most people did when they found out about Kristen's love of sports.  They assumed she had been the unwilling recipient of her father's love of sports because she had no brothers.

"Actually, no." She replied with a shake of her head.  "I have three brothers."

"Mmm..." he hummed as he pulled his glass towards him and took a sip of his shake.  "We have something else in common."  He mused.  Kristen furrowed her brows as she looked at him in question. 

"Something else?" She asked.

He nodded.  "We're both outnumbered in our families." He replied.  "You have three brothers and I have four sisters.  Are they older or younger?"

"Older." Kristen answered.  "What are the other things?" She asked.

"Other things?" Chris questioned, his brown eyes watching her closely.  Kristen almost forgot what it was she had been asking as he looked at her.  He dangerously attractive and she couldn't help just wanting to sit there and stare at him.  She had been surprised when he'd asked her if she wanted to leave the bar to go get something to eat, and shocked at how quickly she had agreed-the words leaving her mouth before she could stop them.  She wondered if he had any idea how incredible his eyes were.  "You said we had something else in common." She told him, forcing her thoughts away from him and tearing her eyes from his.  "What are the other things?  I'm curious how you know we have anything in common as this is the first time we've ever really talked." She smiled.

"Well, we both like sports." He stated.  "Although, I'm not sure I can over look the fact that you're a Chicago fan..." He drawled and pursed his lips as if deep in thought.  "That may be a relationship breaker right there." He said, his eyes sparkling mischievously.  Kristen couldn't help the smile that spread across her face or the way her heart flipped slightly at his using the word ‘relationship' in reference to whatever this was, starting between them.  And there was definitely something starting.  She could feel it and she hoped he could too.  "Mmm...come back from the dark side, you should." He nodded once again pulling her from her thoughts, trying to convince her. 

Kristen laughed.  "Nice try, Yoda." She replied, taking another bite.  "Is that it?" She asked.  "Sports?"

"No." He shook his head.  He looked at her for a moment and Kristen wished she could read his thoughts.  She could almost see the wheels turning in his head as he looked at her and she desperately wanted to know what he was thinking.  "You knew that song you sang tonight by heart which leads me to believe you've listened to it more than once so I'm assuming you're a fan, like I am, of Gwen."

"You know what happens when you assume, right?" Kristen asked with a grin.

"Oh, I'm well aware of the affects of assuming." He nodded.  "But I don't think that applies to this situation."

"Hmmm..." she mused, their eyes meeting again.  She nodded.  "I'm a fan.  I have all her albums.  Nice deduction, Sherlock."

"Elementary, my dear Watson." He quipped with a smile.  "What else do you listen to?"

"Pretty much everything." She answered.  "My friends refer to me as the music whore of the group." She admitted and Chris laughed.  "I listen to just about any and everything and spend way too much on CD's and downloads.  It's an addiction.  I always have to have music playing--at home, in the car, at the gym, sitting at my desk at work..." she trailed off.  "It's kind of disgusting really, but I love it.  So there you go.  Sports and music--that's pretty much all you need to know about me." She smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~           

Christ sat, looking at Kristen in amazement.  The more he learned about her, the more he liked her.  "If you say you have a dog I may be in love." He said, only halfway teasing.  If she did say she had a dog he knew he was going to be in trouble.  This girl was like a gift from the gods or something.  She was beautiful, funny, loved sports and music and wasn't afraid to eat in front of him.  He was tempted to accuse her of putting on an act in order to gain his approval because of who he was, but something about her led him to believe she was being completely honest with him.  Chris had met and been with numerous girls over the years who had tried to convince him that the things that had been published as his favorite things were their favorite things as well.  He had learned, as a result, to recognize those who were just trying to get into his pants.  It was hard to fake the kind of enthusiasm Kristen had shown about something you truly didn't like.   Besides, he thought.  If she was really just trying to win me over she would have said she was a fan of the Steelers, not the Bears. 

"I don't have a dog." She shook her head, pulling him from his thoughts.  "Yet." She grinned and he felt the same zing go through him that he'd been feeling all night each time she smiled at him.  "My hus--" she stopped herself and cleared her throat.  He looked at her in question-curious as to why she'd stopped herself so suddenly from saying whatever it was she had been about to say.  "I wasn't able to have one in my last place." She said.  "But, now that I've moved," she smiled.  "I'm looking at getting one.  The two German Shepards we had when I was in high school died a few years ago and I want to get another one."

"German Shepards?" He asked, impressed.  He had assumed she would want a smaller dog like a lot of girls preferred.  He was quickly learning he couldn't assume anything about this girl.

"Mmm-hmm." She nodded as she took a sip of her orange juice.  "Felony and Misdemeanor."

Chris laughed as she told him the dogs' names.  "Those are the best names I've ever heard!" He exclaimed. 

Kristen smiled.  "My dad was cop." She told him in explanation.  "My brothers and I thought it was only appropriate."

"Your dad's a cop?" He asked. 

"Was." She nodded.  He looked at her in question and she smiled sadly.  "He died last year." She told him and he felt horrible for unknowingly bringing up such a touchy subject.

"I'm...so sorry." He said in condolence.

"Thanks." She smiled.

"What did he die from?" He asked.

"Cancer." She told him.  He watched as she looked down at the table, her index finger absent-mindedly running around the rim of her glass.

An awkward silence descended between them and Chris fought for something to say that would lighten the mood and get them back to the playful banter they'd had going on earlier. "So..." he began and she looked up at him.  "You...you have three older brothers?" He questioned.  She nodded.

"Jack, Ryan, and Lance."

"You have a brother named Lance?" He questioned with a giggle.

"Yep." She nodded with a smile.  "He's actually the one I'm closest to."

"That's cool." He nodded.   "But you do realize that this isn't looking too good for me here, right?" He grimaced--suddenly feeling nervous about spending any time with this woman.  Three older brothers?  Once wrong move and his life would be over.  Kristen chuckled as she pushed away her plate.  She wiped her mouth with her napkin then looked at him. 

"They're all a bunch of softies." She told him.  "You don't have anything to worry about."

"Right." He drawled, not convinced in the slightest.  "So, what is it that you do?" He asked, curious to find out more about her.

"I work for the Children's Hospital." She said, picking up her glass.

"Are you a nurse?" He asked.  She shook her head as she took a drink.  "A doctor?" He questioned though she looked too young to be a doctor.  Maybe she's an intern? He thought.  Or a resident.  Which comes first? He questioned, trying to think back on the few episodes of ER and Grey's Anatomy he'd seen.

"Public Relations." She told him.  "And fundraising."

Chris made a noise of interest.  The conversation he'd had with Joey a few days ago suddenly came back to mind.  "Are you the one putting together that benefit concert I heard about?" He asked.

"Trying to." She nodded.  "But so far..." she shook her head.  "We're not really having a lot of luck contacting or getting people to commit to it.  We've only been working on it for about a week, though." She smiled.  "I'm sure it'll all come together in the end.  I hope." She chuckled.  "Running into you was actually all part of my plan to get you to sign up and agree to help with it."

"I knew it!" Chris exclaimed, slapping his hand on the table.  "You looked like you were up to something." He winked at her.  She laughed. 

"So tell me about you." She said.  Chris watched as she put her elbows on the table--resting her chin atop her linked fingers.

"What about me?" He asked. He didn't really want to talk about himself.  He felt like he'd been doing nothing but talk about himself for the last fifteen years and in his opinion, he really wasn't all that interesting of a person.

"What are you doing now that N SYNC is officially done?" Kristen asked.

"Sleeping." He answered honestly and she chuckled.  "Touring's a bitch." He told her.  "Especially since I'm not a kid anymore."

"It's got to be boring, though, isn't it?" She asked.  "Being home again after being constantly on the go like that for so long?"

"At times." He admitted with a nod.  "But, I try not to be home long enough to be bored."

"So what do you do?" She questioned.

"Hang out in karaoke bars and take beautiful women out for waffles at eleven o'clock at night." He replied with a grin.

Kristen laughed.  "Seriously." She said.

He chuckled.  "Uhm..." He rubbed the back of his neck, his left knee bouncing with nervous energy.  Though, what he was nervous about he didn't know... "I'm actually working with a couple friends of mine in putting together another group."

"Really?" She asked, her brows lifting in interest.  He nodded.  "Another boyband?" She asked with a smile and a teasing sparkle in her beautiful brown eyes. 

Chris rolled his eyes.  "No." He replied.  "That stage of my life is over."

"Oh." Kristen pouted slightly and he felt a sting of lust go through him--his eyes fixated on that plump bottom lip of hers.  He suddenly wondered what it would taste and feel like between his own.  Cool it.  He told himself.  He cleared his throat and shifted a bit uncomfortably as he looked down at the table, averting his eyes from her.

"So is this friend of yours a girl?" She asked.

"What?" He asked, looking up at her in question.  Completely taken back by her question.  "No.  Why..."

"Well, you said you weren't doing another boyband, so I just assumed that this friend of yours that you're working with must be a girl."

Chris grinned.  "You know what happens when you assume, right?" He asked, folding his arms and leaning them against the table--throwing her earlier question back at her.  Kristen pursed her lips together as she glared at him and Chris's smile grew as he saw a bit of pink tinge her cheeks. 

Finally she rolled her eyes and smiled back at him.  "So it is another boyband?" She asked with a chuckle.

"Well..." he drawled.  "I guess...I guess that depends on your definition of what a boyband is." He replied. 

"Two or more guys up on stage together." Kristen answered.

Chris thought about it for a moment then nodded.  "Then, I guess by that definition, it's a boyband." Kristen grinned.  "But!" He continued quickly.  "Not really.  We're not going to be dancing in synchronization while we're singing."

"Oh, okay." She giggled.  "So what is it?  Really?"

"It's kind of..." he trailed off, not really sure how to describe the sound of the songs he and Mike were working on.  "Sort of rock, sort of alternative...hell...I don't know what it is." He laughed.  "But it's good."

"I bet it is." She smiled.  "Can I tell you a secret?" She asked.  Chris nodded as he looked at her, curious to hear what she was going to say.  "I always thought you had the best voice of the group."

He laughed.  "Are you drunk?" He asked. 

"No." She insisted with a laugh of her own.

"I think you're drunk." He nodded.  "That last beer I bought for you must be finally kicking in." He looked down at his watch--intent on teasing her about how long it took her to get drunk, but was surprised to see how much time had actually elapsed since they'd left the bar.  He looked back up at Kristen.  Had they really been sitting here talking for almost two hours? 

"I'm serious." She told him with a chuckle.  "I always thought it was a shame that you were only featured on a few of the songs you guys did.  Your voice is amazing.  I hope you're not just singing backup again with this new group."

"No." He shook his head.  "I'm actually singing lead."

"Really?" She asked in excitement.  "When do you think you'll be releasing something?"

He shrugged.  "We're just really getting started.  Could be months.  Could be years."

"Well," she said, lifting her glass.  "Here's hoping it months instead of years." She smiled and clinked her glass against his as he lifted his own then downed the rest of her orange juice. 

Chris worked on his chocolate shake, his eyes never leaving Kristen's face.  Silence descended between them again but it wasn't awkward this time and he couldn't help thinking that it had been a long time since he'd completely lost track of the time while talking to a girl.  He was usually too busy moving around from one pretty face to another to ever really stop and talk to any of them.  He wasn't sure what had made him stop and take notice of this particular girl, but he was glad about whatever it was.  "Are you ready to go?" He asked.  She nodded and he wondered if he had just imagined the hint of disappointment in her eyes.  He watched as she reached for her purse sitting beside her and pulled out her cell phone.  "Who are you calling?" He asked though he really had no right to question her like that.  It wasn't any of his business who she felt like calling in the middle of the night.

"I'm going to call for a cab." She told him.

"A cab?" He asked.  "Why are you going to call for a cab?  I'm going to take you back to Sullivan's so you can get your car." He told her.  "I'm not going to just leave you here." He chuckled.

"I didn't drive to the bar tonight." She told him.  "I went with Amie, so you taking me back there really isn't going to solve anything." She teased. 

"Then I'm going to take you home." He stated as he slid out of the booth they had been sitting in and stood at the end of the table.  "Come on." He said holding his hand out to her.  Kristen looked at him for a moment, then at his hand, and then back up at his face.

"You don't have to--" She began but he cut her off by reaching over and grabbing her hand.  He tugged gently on her arm.

"I told you." He said, as she finally stood in front of him.  "I'm not going to just leave you here.  I'm not that kind of guy." Again there was silence between them, only this time it was charged with something that made his mouth suddenly go dry and his palms begin to sweat a little.  Kristen stood looking up at him and he watched as something sparked to life in her brown eyes.  Her tongue darted out to lick her bottom lip and Chris had to forcefully bite back the groan that wanted to escape at her teasing.  Why did girls always do that?  Didn't they know that was one of the moves that brought all guys to their knees?  It was always done so innocently but he had often wondered if it was really innocent at all.  He was convinced there must be some secret book on teasing that girls were given once they hit a certain age that let them in on all the secret little ways to drive guys crazy. 

"What kind of a guy are you?" She asked, moving towards him slightly as she closed what little space remained between them.  Her fingers moved to twine with his on the hand he was still holding and he was again caught off guard at the perfect way their hands fit. 

"I..." he cleared his throat as he looked down at the entwined fingers then back up at her beautiful face.  "I-I..." he stammered, unable to form a complete sentence as she stood there looking at him like that.  He lifted his other hand, intent on touching her face-needing, suddenly, to find out if her skin was as soft as it looked--knowing that if he leaned forward just a few short inches he could taste that mouth of hers that had been teasing him all night. 

A loud crash came from the kitchen behind them as a tray of dishes was dropped and Chris jumped back, dropping his arm and releasing the hand of hers that he held.  "I'm the kind of guy who doesn't make a girl take a cab home." He told her as he grabbed the receipt their waitress had lain on the table earlier--thankful for the interruption that had prevented him from making a huge mistake just now.  He began walking towards the registers, not bothering to make sure that Kristen was following him.  He knew she was.  He could feel her behind him though he was too scared to turn around and look at her--afraid to see the reaction to what had almost just happened between them in her eyes.  What kind of guy was he? He mused, shaking his head slightly in disgust as he paid for their food.  The kind of guy who almost just took advantage of you in the middle of IHOP.  That's what kind of guy I am.  He thought.  He took a deep breath as he shoved his wallet back into the back pocket of his jeans, finally turning to look at the woman standing behind him.  She watched him with guarded eyes and he mentally kicked himself for ruining the good time they'd been having.  He walked towards the front door and held it open for her.  She stood for a second before finally walking past him. 

Chris followed a few steps behind Kristen as they made their way towards his car.  He unlocked the vehicle as they got closer and followed Kristen to the passenger side-intent on helping her in.  However, she yanked open the door and climbed into the Escalade before he could open the door for her.  She shut the door and he stood for a moment, unsure of what to do.  He had the distinct impression that she was mad at him, which confused him.  He walked around the truck and opened the driver's side door.  She should be glad I didn't follow through with what I wanted to do to her in there.  He thought.  Why the hell is she mad at me?  He looked over at her but she sat in rigid silence, refusing to look at him.  With a sigh he inserted the key into the ignition and started the car.  He was almost forty and he wondered if he would ever understand women and all the shit they put men through.  Did they have any idea how maddening they were at times or how confusing? 

"Where do you live?" He asked, finally breaking the stony silence between them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oak Ridge." Kristen told him.  She watched out of the corner of her eye as Chris nodded then put the truck into reverse.  He put his right hand up on the side of her chair as he looked over his shoulder while he was backing up.  He shifted the car into drive and left the parking lot.  As they waited for a break in traffic, she could feel his eyes on her and her heart skipped in her chest--wondering what he was thinking about her brazen and forward behavior earlier in the restaurant. 

"What kind of guy are you?"  She was embarrassed at her poor attempt at flirting with him.  She wanted to just crawl into a hole and disappear.  He had looked uncomfortable as she'd been standing there, trying to come on to him.  He had stammered, trying--she knew--to find a way to tell her he didn't want to kiss her.  Kristen could feel her cheeks blazing in humiliation and was grateful the interior of the car was dark.  It had been a while since she had felt the desire to flirt with anyone and it was painfully obvious she had no idea what she was doing.  Instead of catching his interest she'd just managed in making an even bigger fool of herself in front of him. Congratulations.  She told herself with a roll of her eyes.   

As they continued driving in silence Kristen finally braved looking over at her companion.  Her eyes roamed over his profile and she couldn't help the smile that came to her face as she recalled their easy and comfortable conversation from earlier.  She had forgotten what it felt like to be with a guy who was actually interested in what she had to say--not someone who made you feel like he was only with you out of obligation.  She had forgotten what it felt like to laugh, tease and be teased, and completely lose track of the time because you were enjoying the company and conversation so much.  She had forgotten what it felt like to have someone look at you with interest and desire sparkling in their eyes. 

Kristen's brow furrowed and she turned away from Chris in confusion.  The looks he had been giving her while they had been talking and eating had led her to believe he was more than interested in her.  But why did he pull away so quickly and look so relieved when those dishes were dropped?  She wondered.  She suddenly felt like she was back in high school and she hated it.  She hated the fact that she was being thrown back into the dating pool.  She hated the fact that she was just as confused about guys and their behaviors as she'd ever been.  As they neared her apartment complex, Kristen gave Chris the directions he needed.  He finally pulled into the parking lot in front of her building and pulled into an empty space.  She reached for the door handle as she turned to look at him.  Her heart skipped and her stomach did a somersault as she found him looking at her.  It was dark and hard to make out his features, but she could feel the intensity of his gaze on her. 

"Th-thank you." She stammered.  She swallowed.  "I...I had fun."  He said nothing and she sat for another moment then turned slightly and opened the door.  She got out and was surprised when he turned the truck off and got out himself.  "You don't--" she began but he cut her off.

"I've come this far with you.  I can walk you to your door."  He smiled.  "I want to make sure you get in safely."

Kristen smiled then with a nod turned and began walking towards the building.  She could feel him behind her as she began climbing the stairs that would take her to her second story apartment and tried to breath evenly though her heart was suddenly jumping around in her chest.  "This is me." She said, as they stopped outside her door.  She looked over her shoulder at him as she dug in her purse for her keys.  Finally finding them, she inserted them into the lock and opened her door.  Turning she looked up at Chris--quickly becoming lost once more in his eyes.  He stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked down at the ground--scuffing the toe of his shoe against the concrete.  Kristen looked at him for a moment then took a step towards him.  Placing one hand on his shoulder she pressed her lips against his cheek.  Chris lifted his head sharply at the contact and she pulled back as he looked at her-his eyes suddenly blazing.  "I-I'm sorry." She stammered.  "I don't--"   

She wasn't allowed to finish her apology. 

Removing them from his pockets, Chris placed his warm hands against her face as he suddenly captured her lips with his own.  Kristen's breath caught in her throat and she felt certain she was going to pass out.  He pulled back as quickly as he had kissed her and her eyes popped open to look at him in shock.  She swallowed hard.  She knew there were a million reasons why this was wrong-why she needed to just turn around and walk into her apartment alone--but she couldn't think of a single one at the moment.  The only thing she could think of was the way his lips had felt against her for that brief moment, how his hands were gently cradling her face, how his body felt pressed against hers...she bit her bottom lip to keep from groaning and closed her eyes.  Chris titled her face up towards his and Kristen's heart all but stopped as his soft but firm lips pressed against hers once again.  She wound her arms around his neck as the exchange began to heat up.  She took a few steps backwards, blindly guiding him into her apartment.  She wasn't sure exactly where this was all headed, but she was going to hang on and enjoy the ride.    

Chapter End Notes:
don't kill me for the cliff-hanger...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris