Author's Chapter Notes:
For those of you reading this, you may have already figured out that this is a sort-of continuation of my other three stories (we're just focusing on a different member of our favorite group!).  With that being said, some of my other characters may pop in from time to time...

"Hi, this is, uh...this is, Chris.  I just wanted to call to see if...if you...listen, I'm sorry about...about leaving like I did.  I don't know why...okay, you know what?  Let me start over, cuz I'm really starting to sound like a moron here.  I was calling to see if maybe you'd like to go out sometime.  You know, for real this time?  So uhm...if you want to...to go out, if you're not busy next Thursday night, uhm...call me.  I thought maybe we could go to the Magic/Bulls game. I've got tickets. You, uhm...well, you have my number..."

Kristen lowered her phone after listening to Chris' voicemail for the third time.  She leaned back in her chair and stared at the wall.  When her phone had started buzzing and his name had flashed across the screen that afternoon, she had ignored his call--letting it go to voicemail.  She didn't want to talk to him and hear whatever lame excuse he had for his disappearing act over the weekend.   She wondered if he would even leave a message, but he had.  And now she didn't know what to do about it.

The first time she'd listened to the message Kristen had smiled, imagining him pacing around somewhere a she left the disjointed message for her.  His nervousness was cute at the beginning but her earlier thoughts soon intruded. 

She was confused. 

She was hurt. 

And he was playing dirty. 

He had taken the information she'd given him on Saturday--appealing to her love of sports--and Kristen was upset that she was even considering taking him up on his offer.  What happened to being done with men?  She asked herself.  She blew out a breath as she leaned over her desk. 

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

Kristen jerked up quickly in surprise as Amie plopped herself down on the edge of her desk.  "Let me ask you a question." Kristen said, suddenly wanting and needing another opinion on this situation.

"Shoot." Amie said, looking at her expectantly as she took a sip of the diet Pepsi in her hand.

"Let's say," Kristen began, leaning back in her chair again.  "Let's say that you went out one Friday night with some friends."

"Okay." Amie nodded.  "Where did we go?"

"A karaoke bar." Kristen supplied and Amie smiled.  "And let's say that you met someone while you were at this karaoke bar and you ended up leaving the bar with this someone." Kristen continued.

"Hmmm...I don't know..." Amie drawled as she took another sip of her Pepsi.  "That doesn't really sound like something I would do." She said, pursing her lips and playing at thinking it over really hard.  Kristen couldn't help chuckling at her friend though she rolled her eyes.  "Continue." Amie grinned.

"Let's say you ended up going out to eat with this someone and you ended up talking with him, and laughing with him and feeling like you really made a connection with him." Kristen said.  Amie nodded for her to continue.  "And let's say that this someone ends up taking you home and...and you end up sleeping with this someone." Amie smiled as Kristen kept talking.  Kristen looked down at her lap.  "And then, let's say that this someone calls you a few days later and asks you out on a date."  She looked back up at Amie.  "Would you go?"

"Hell yeah!" Amie exclaimed.  "Are you kidding me?!"

"What if I told you that this someone snuck out in the middle of the night after you fell asleep and this is the first time he's called you in four days?" Kristen asked.  "Would that change your answer?"

"He...he left?!" Amie asked in shock.  "Are you serious?"  Kristen nodded.  "Just left?" Amie continued.  "Without saying anything?"

"I fell asleep and he was there.  I woke up and he was gone." Kristen stated. 

"He..." Amie looked at her for a moment.  "Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" She asked looking a bit hurt that Kristen had left information out of her story about her weekend with Mr. Former Boyband.

Kristen shrugged as she looked down and began picking imaginary pieces of lint from her pants.  "I didn't want to ruin the story for you."  She grumbled and Amie groaned.  "I didn't think he was going to call me again so I didn't think it was a big deal." She explained. 

"He left, Kris!" Amie exclaimed.  "That's a big deal!"

"So I take it that changes your answer." Kristen chuckled humorlessly as she looked back up at her friend.

"Damn right, it changes my answer!" Amie replied hotly.  "The douche doesn't deserve you.  No matter who he is or how long you may have had a secret crush on him.  Just leaving?  Not cool." She stated, bringing the Pepsi bottle up to her lips again.

"I have not had a secret crush on him!" Kristen insisted.  Amie just looked at her.  "Yeah he's cute, and I'll be the first to admit it, but it's not like I've been walking around her every day talking about how much I love him." She replied bitterly. 

"You're right, I'm sorry." Amie apologized.  The girls were both quiet for a moment.

"Maybe he had some kind of an emergency come up?" Kristen asked.

"Do not start making excuses for him!" Amie stated, giving Kristen a hard look as she pointed at her.  "Girl," she shook her head.  "No.  What's to say he really wants to go on a date with you?  Hmmm?  What if he's looking for just another hookup?"

"Maybe I want ‘just another hookup.'" Kristen replied flippantly.  Amie lifted one brow as she looked at her friend in disbelief.  "What?" Kristen asked-folding her arms across her chest defiantly.  "Is that so hard to believe?"

"How long have we known each other, Kris?" Amie asked, tilting her head to the side as she studied Kristen. 

"Four years." Kristen muttered, looking away from the other girl.  "Why?"

"And in all that time, how many ‘hookups,'" she made invisible quotation marks in the air with her fingers, "have you had?"

Kristen rolled her eyes.  "One." She replied.  Amie looked at her in question and Kristen rolled her eyes as she sighed in exasperation.  "Last weekend!" She exclaimed, reminding Amie what they were talking about. 

"Oh.  Right." Amie replied.  She waved her hand through the air.  "I meant, excluding this weekend, how many hookups have you had?"

"None."

"Exactly.  Don't turn into a slut just because he's rich and famous." Amie told her.  "He's not worth it and you're better than that."

"It's just a date, Ames." Kristen argued--sick of the flip-flopping emotions in her chest.  One minute she was upset about the whole thing and the next she was ready to pick up the phone and call him back--desperately wanting to see his face again.  Her heart fluttered in her chest as she thought about his smile, his laugh, those incredible brown eyes of his, and the way he had kissed her--touched her...

She swallowed hard and shook her head, fighting back the memories and trying to ignore the tingle running down her spine. 

"Do whatever you want, Kris." Amie said as she stood and walked towards the door of the office.  "But remember," she said as she stepped out into the hall.  "You deserve better than to be some C-list celebrity's booty call." 

Kristen chewed on her bottom lip.  Amie was right.  He had left that night, giving no indication that it had been anything other than a one-night stand to him and she was disgusted with herself over that fact that she had been such an easy lay for him.  And now he wanted to do it again!  And was dangling something in front of her that he knew she wouldn't be able to resist! 

Where do I find these guys?  She wondered bitterly with a shake of her head as she forced herself to go back to work.  How come I only attract losers and jackasses? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris was restless--unable to sit still or focus on anything for longer than a minute.  Walking out of the house, he walked around his backyard aimlessly Friday afternoon.  He stopped at the edge of the pool, becoming hypnotized for a moment as he watched the sun sparkle off the water.  He thought about jumping in.  Maybe a swim would help work off all this anxious energy he had.  But finally, deciding it was still too cold to be swimming, he walked away from the water. 

Squeezing the small, blue stress ball in his right hand a few times, Chris continued walking around.  He tossed the ball into his other hand then tapped it against his leg.  Sitting down in one of the chairs that surrounded the fire pit he had, Chris adjusted the black hat on his head.  Blowing out a breath he closed his eyes as he leaned his arms on his legs--his head hanging down.  Leila and Billie Jean walked over to him and he lifted his head as he heard the jangle of their tags.

"Why hasn't she called?" He asked.  The dogs just looked at him as they sat down--a bored expression on both of their faces.  His left leg began bouncing slightly as he continued to sit there--questions and thoughts bombarding him. He had called Kristen on Wednesday, leaving the most ridiculous and scattered message he'd ever left in his life, and had waited. 

Forty-eight hours later, he was still waiting. 

Was this normal?  What was the customary waiting period between phone calls when you didn't want to appear desperate or be called a stalker?  He couldn't remember any of these dating rules and frankly, he'd never really been any good at playing this particular game.  I'm getting too old for this shit.  He thought and, with a groan of frustration, Chris stood up--walking back into the house. 

Weren't they both old enough to not have to play games?  He liked Kristen.  He wanted to see her again.  He wanted to really get to know her.  He had put himself out there-making the first call.  Why couldn't she just be honest and tell him she didn't want to go?  Why couldn't she just put him out of his misery?  If she called and said, no, then he'd be able to leave this state of limbo he was in and move on with his life.

"I shouldn't have left." He muttered under his breath as he threw the ball in his hand across the room.  It hit the wall then landed on the couch.  The regret of sneaking away and leaving her like the coward he was, was coming back to bit him in the butt.  If he had stayed, they would have been able to talk.  He would have been able to see in her eyes and hear in her voice whether or not she was interested in seeing him again.  It was hard to ignore someone when they were lying in bed next to you. 

His eyes caught sight of his car keys lying on the counter and he stopped--the thought of driving over to her apartment and just confronting her running briefly through his head.  Chris rubbed his chin, thinking.  Would that succeed in doing anything?  He wondered.  Just solidify the fact that you're crazy and desperate.

With a roll of his eyes, Chris turned and continued walking--making his way downstairs.  The silence surrounding him suddenly made him want to scream.  He'd never been affected by the quiet and emptiness of his house before, but the last few days it had felt like the walls were closing in on him and he was suffocating.  Opening the door to his home studio, Chris pulled his cell phone from his pocket.  Placing it where he would be able to see and hear if he received a call, Chris sat down.  He hit a few switched on the soundboard in front of him, put a pair of headphones on, then turned and picked up one of his guitars.  Listening to his new song, Chris began humming and strumming the guitar--picking out a harmony to the track he had laid down yesterday. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an hour of accomplishing nothing, Chris put the guitar back on its stand and took off his headphones.  He closed his eyes as he tipped back in his chair--scrubbing his hands over his face.  The image of Kristen's face occupied his thoughts and he cursed the woman.  What was this power she held over him?  Was she a witch of some kind?  He was almost to the point of believing she had cast a spell over him Saturday night.  How else was he supposed to explain his inability to forget her and live his life as he had before he'd first met her two weeks ago? 

His doorbell rang suddenly and Chris sat up abruptly, his brows furrowing.  He wasn't expecting anyone and there were only a few who knew the combination to get past his security gate-none of whom had told him they were coming over or were in town.  Grabbing his phone, Chris left the studio and walked upstairs.  Maybe whoever it was at the door would be able to distract him.  The bell rang again and his dogs barked as they hurried to beat him to the door.  He pushed them aside as he opened the door.  He stood in surprise for a moment when he saw who his visitors were but a smile soon came to his face. 

"Thanks for the warning." Chris teased as he greeted the couple.  "I wouldn't have answered if I'd known it was you."

"Nice to see you, too, man." JC replied with a chuckle. The men greeted each other with a hug and brotherly slaps on the back. 

"Not to be rude." Chris said as he turned and gave Rachel a hug.  "Cuz I love you, but why are you here?" He asked pulling back from her.  He looked back and forth between the couple. 

"It was her idea." JC said, pointing to Rachel as he switched the car seat he was holding from one hand to the other.  Chris stepped back--allowing JC and Rachel to step into the house.

"I was going stir-crazy." Rachel explained.  "I've been cooped up in the house for the past month."  She ran her hands through her hair.  "I had to get out and when we got Joey's call about Briana's birthday party this weekend I figured it was the perfect excuse."  She smiled.

"And you brought the munchkin." Chris stated the obvious as JC set down the car seat.

"I tried to leave her." Rachel replied with a smile as she looked at her husband then back at Chris.  "But she's got him wrapped completely around her little finger," she said, gesturing with her thumb at JC.  "He can't leave the house for more than ten minutes without calling me to check on her." She teased.  JC glared at Rachel, his cheeks warming slightly in embarrassment.  "I didn't think he'd be able to survive an entire weekend without her."

Chris laughed.  "Let's see her." He said.  "Let's see this little lady who's got C completely whipped."

"I'm not completely whipped." JC insisted as he bent down and reached into the car seat. 

Chris looked over at Rachel who nodded and mouthed, "he is," behind JC's back.   Chris cleared his throat to hide his chuckle as JC stood again and faced him--Claire tucked under his chin and nestled against his chest.  The baby squirmed in JC's arms, her head turning as she yawned and opened her little eyes and Chris smiled as he observed his friend in his new role as father.  In all the years they'd spent together, having kids wasn't something he'd ever pictured JC doing, but JC had taken to it like a fish to water and it made him chuckle to see this different side of the man.

After they had finished the tour with their last show in Vegas, the guys had all made one last stop in LA to greet the newest member of their extended family before disbanding to their own homes.  Claire had been a week old when she'd met the members of N SYNC and Chris was struck at how much she had grown and changed in the weeks since he'd first seen her.  She let out a little cry and JC shushed her--bouncing her slightly in his arms as he lowered his head, brushing his lips against the top of her fuzzy head. 

"See what I mean?" Rachel asked as she folded her arms across her chest and leaned towards Chris.  Chris looked over at her, returning her knowing smile.  "Completely wrapped around her finger.  He's never looked at me like that."  She confessed to him with a teasing glint in her eyes. 

"Where are you guys staying?" Chris asked as he turned, Rachel and JC following him as he walked back towards his Living Room. 

"The Mariott downtown." Rachel replied. 

"You could have stayed here." Chris offered as they all sat down.  JC handed Claire off to Rachel then put his arm up on the back of the couch behind his wife. 

"Trust me, it's better this way." Rachel said with a chuckle as she cradled the baby in her arms and began rocking her gently to get her back to sleep.  "She's pretty loud when she wakes up five times during the night.  You wouldn't have ever wanted us to come back for a visit." She teased.

"We can put her down in the studio." Chris offered.  "It's soundproof."

"Already tried that at home." JC laughed.  "Didn't go over so well with this one." He said, nodding his head towards Rachel. 

Rachel chuckled as she jabbed JC in the ribs with her elbow.  "You know what we've been doing the last three weeks." She said, lifting Claire slightly.  "What about you?" She asked with a smile.

"Sleeping." Chris replied, giving his customary answer whenever anyone asked him the same question. 

"Lucky bastard." JC muttered under his breath. 

Chris laughed as he slouched down farther on the couch--stretching his legs out in front of him.  "I'm not the one who decided to have kids." He replied.  "You made your bed with that one, C." He continued.  "And now you have to sleep in it."

"Did you use the bed analogy just to rub it in some more?" JC asked and Chris giggled. 

"Maybe." Chris replied with a casual shrug of his shoulder, a grin on his face. 

"Not even JC here can sleep for three weeks straight." Rachel interjected as she placed a once more sleeping Claire against her shoulder.  "Even if he could.  What's post-tour life offered you so far?" She questioned.

Chris lifted his hand, rubbing the back of his neck as he thought about what he'd been doing the last month.  "Well, let's see..." he drawled.  "I did a radio spot a few weeks ago," he began ticking items off on his fingers.  "I've been working with Mike on putting some songs together, watched the game with Joey last week, had some people over and partied like old times, got in a minor car accident in the grocery store parking lot, and I've gone out to a few clubs." He said, giving a brief synopsis of how he'd been spending his time since the last time they'd seen each other.  He'd purposefully avoided saying anything about Kristen because he knew Rachel.  He knew that once he brought up anyone by name--specifically a woman--she would begin interrogating him and want to know everything.  He'd seen her at work and had heard JC complaining--albeit good-naturedly--about her interfering and match-making schemes and he did not want to be the recipient of any of her attention on that front.

"What happened with your car accident?" JC asked.  "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah." Chris pushed his hand through the air.  "It was nothing.  This...this girl just backed into me.  No big deal.  Oh, and the children's hospital here is trying to put together a benefit concert.  They contacted Joey about doing something and he told me about it."

"What do they want you to do?" Rachel asked. 

"I don't know." He shrugged.  "I really haven't heard any more information on it.  I was going to talk to Joe about it some more tomorrow but it got me thinking..." he hesitated. 

"About what?" JC asked.

"You ever think about getting everyone back together to do our Challenge for the Children basketball game?" Chris asked JC. Rachel immediately perked up--an excited look on her face--while JC looked thoughtful.

"I...haven't." JC answered honestly with a shake of his head.

"Why did we stop?" Chris asked.

They were both quiet for a second and then, "Justin." Both men said in unison with a laugh. 

"He's why we stopped everything, isn't he?" JC asked with a smile and a roll of his eyes. 

"You should totally start again!" Rachel exclaimed.  "That would be...awesome!"

"Calm down, Rach." JC chuckled. 

"No, you can't tell me to calm down after dangling something like that in front of me!" She replied.  "Oh, I always wanted to go to one of your guys' games but I was never able to." She pouted.  "But if you guys started doing the games again I could go!  And get front row seats!" She giggled. 

Chris and JC looked at each other.  JC rolled his eyes at her excited ramblings.  "If you're lucky." Chris said.  "You might get more than front row seats." He told her.

"What could be better than front row seats?" Rachel asked, looking at Chris in question.

Again Chris' eyes met JC's and he grinned.  "How's your game?" He asked.  Rachel looked at him in confusion for a moment until it clicked what he was saying.  She sat up and looked at Chris and then JC--her head swiveling back and forth between the two men a few times before she was able to speak. 

"You mean...I could...I could play with you guys?" She asked.  "Actually play with the members of N SYNC at Challenge for the Children?!" She squealed.  "That would be awesome!"

JC laughed.  "You'd never know she was actually married to me and just had my baby with the way she's carrying on right now, would you?" He remarked dryly.  

Chris chuckled.  "She's not your wife right now." He stated.  "Right now, she's a fan.  Be careful, C." He teased.  "She may start trying to rip your shirt off or something."

"You're the one who just told her she could play with us." JC said, pointing a finger at him.  "I blame you for this." He said, pointing back at his wife. 

"I love how you two are talking about me like I'm not here." Rachel stated with a laugh. 

"Welcome back, Rachel!" Chris exclaimed with a bright smile. 

Rachel rolled her eyes at him, though the smile remained on her face.  "Whatever you have to do to get the Challenge going again," she said.  "Do it.  But I have one request." 

"What's that?" JC asked her. 

"I want to be on Justin's team."        

Chapter End Notes:
alright, show the love people....I know you're reading this...let me know what you think :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris