Author's Chapter Notes:
the plot thickens...

"Have you called her yet?"

Chris choked on his drink as Joey sidled up next to him Saturday afternoon.  He looked over at Rachel who was standing nearby--and who was now looking at him in interest--then back at Joey.  Chris looked at Joey, silently begging him not to say anything more.  He'd seen her perk up at Joey's question and she was now watching him closely. 

"She's not going to wait forever, you know." Joey continued and Chris wanted to kill him. 

"Joe." He whispered out of the side of his mouth as Rachel took a step closer to them--her attention pulled from the party going on around them and now entirely focused on him.  Chris turned slightly towards Joey and coughed, trying to grab the other man's attention but Joey was completely oblivious.  Rachel was now standing right next to him and Chris swallowed nervously at the look in her eyes.  So much for keeping her out of this.  He muttered glaring at Joey--silently plotting the other man's sudden demise.  Kelly wouldn't mind if he killed her husband, right?  Chris had heard her complain about some of the things Joey did that she couldn't stand and he figured that she'd probably thank him in the long run. 

"I'm going to take your silence as a no." Joey continued as he lifted his own drink to his lips.  "What's it been?" He asked.  "Two weeks now.  You're losing your edge, man." He teased.

Chris felt his jaw clench as he fought not to do or say anything to Joey that would give him away.  He watched Rachel out of the corner of his eye and knew she was waiting for him to admit there was someone he was interested in.  All it would take was one acknowledgement and she'd start plotting and scheming--he knew it. 

Maybe if I just ignore him, and act like I don't know what the hell he's talking about she'll leave it alone.  He scoffed, knowing that wasn't going to be the case.  Rachel was great and he was happy that JC had found her but during the last year when they'd been on tour, she had tried to hook him up with almost every single woman who crossed his path or whom he'd shown even a slight hint of interest in. 

At least, that's what it had felt like. 

In reality, she had only tried to set him up on two or three dates but that was two or three dates too many in Chris' opinion.  At first he had thought it was just all the pregnancy hormones making her act like that until Justin had filled him in one night on how Rachel had worked so hard to push him and Aubrey together at the beginning of their relationship.  Chris had soon learned to not even look at or mention a girl whenever Rachel was around--fearing that before he knew it she'd have them married.  She had decided somewhere along the way that since she had managed to get the one and only Justin Timberlake to settle down, her next project was going to be Chris--the confirmed bachelor of the group.  He had purposefully not mentioned Kristen at all last night for this very reason and now Joey was blowing everything.  Without thinking about it he reached over and punched Joey in the arm.

"Ow!" Joey exclaimed.  "What the hell man?" He asked, finally turning and looking at Chris in question.  Chris gave Joey a pointed look and nodded slightly towards Rachel.  Joey's eyes looked at who he was gesturing towards and grimaced slightly.  "Sorry man." He muttered under his breath as he took another sip of his drink.  "But the cat's out of the bag now."

Chris sighed heavily and rolled his eyes.  "I just want you to remember that I know where you live and where you sleep." He threatened as he turned and looked at Rachel.  "And you," he said pointing at her. 

"Me?" she asked innocently.

"Don't give me that innocent look, missy.  I don't need any help from you." Chris stated as he glared at her. 

"You don't scare me." Rachel smiled as she put her hands on her hips.  "But what does scare me is the fact that you've had some girl's number for two weeks and you haven't called her." She stated.  "You better have a good reason for that."

 "I don't need to justify anything to you." He reminded her.

"You're right." Rachel nodded.  "You don't have to justify anything but..." she shrugged.  "Indulge me." She grinned.  "Do you like her?" She asked, an excited sparkle in her brown eyes.  He sighed--which she took as the sign of resignation that it was--as he looked over her shoulder and around the backyard, searching for JC.  He needed to come control his wife and keep her from butting into his personal life.  "Why haven't you called her?!"  She exclaimed, tucking some of her blonde hair behind her ears then folding her arms across her chest. 

"I never said I haven't called her." Chris replied, giving up his search for JC.  He might as well accept the fact that this was going to happen.  The sooner he gave her all the information the sooner this torture session would be over and he could leave.  If he didn't she would keep pressing him for the information she wanted until she was satisfied.  Chris sighed again as Rachel looked at him in question.  "The car accident I told you about last night?" He asked and she nodded.  "She's the girl that hit me." He explained.  "I uh..." rubbed the back of his neck and shifted his weight from foot to foot uncomfortably.  If he had been wearing a tie he would have been tugging on it and trying to loosen it in nervousness.  This is ridiculous!  He thought.  I've been in the spotlight for almost half my life but I can't stand here and talk to Rachel about this?  Why? 

He turned and walked the few steps to sit down at the nearest table.  He hoped-even though he knew it was futile-that Rachel would get the hint and leave him alone but, like he knew she would, Rachel followed and sat down next to him.  "Don't you have a baby you should be taking care of?" He asked still fighting the fact that she was going to get this information from him.  Although, now that the beans had been spilled and she now knew there was someone he was interested in, part of him wanted to tell her everything that had happened and get someone else's opinion on the situation.  Another woman's perspective might help him figure out what he had done wrong and what he needed to do to make it right. 

"JC has her." Rachel replied, waving her hand through the air.  "He's showing her off to everyone."  They were both quiet for a moment.  "What's going on?" She asked.

His leg began bouncing and he rubbed his hands on his thighs as he swallowed.  "I really like her." He finally admitted--finally giving voice to the feelings that had been swirling around inside of him all week.  "But I don't..." he stopped, biting his lip and tapping the fingers of one hand against the table--trying to get his thoughts in order.  "We met again last weekend at a bar downtown.  We ended up going out to get something to eat and then I took her home and..." he trailed off as he glanced over at Rachel who was watching him with a smile on her face.

"And?" She questioned, prodding him to continue. 

"And..." He paused.  "I don't know why I'm explaining any of this to you." He muttered under his breath.

"Because obviously things aren't going the way you'd like for them to be going and you need someone to tell you why." She stated, voicing his earlier thoughts.  He looked at her in amazement.  "Am I right?" She asked.

"What you are, is scary." He admitted and she giggled. 

"Just get it out." She told him, placing a hand on his arm.  "What happened last weekend?"

"We really hit it off, you know?" He asked, picking at the table cloth.  "Or at least I thought we did." He mumbled.  "We sat and talked for a while, getting to know each other then I took her home."

"Yes, we're past this point already." Rachel teased and Chris rolled his eyes at her making her laugh.  "What happened after that?" She asked, nudging him with her shoulder.

"She kissed me." He replied. Rachel made a noise of interest and he continued.  "And then we...well we...you know."

"You hooked up?" Rachel guessed.

"It wasn't a hook up." Chris insisted with a shake of his head.

"Okay." Rachel acknowledged.  "Then what was it?"

"We slept together." He admitted.  "But it wasn't a hook up."  Rachel remained quiet, waiting for him to continue.  "Anyway," he sighed.  "I left and it's now been a week.  I called her a couple of days ago but--"

"Wait." Rachel said, cutting him off.  "Rewind.  You left?"  She asked.  He nodded.  "What does that mean?"

"What do you mean, what does it mean?" He asked, looking at her in question.  "Do you not understand English?" He asked, getting irritated with all her questions.

"I'm going to choose to ignore that last remark." She said under her breath.  "When did you leave?" She clarified.

"Why?" He questioned.

"Because that may be an important piece of information." She explained.  "And if you want me to tell you what you did wrong and how to fix it, I need to have all of the information.  Now, Mr. Kirkpatrick." She said, placing her elbows up on the table and resting her chin in her hands as she looked at him.  "When did you leave?"

"While she was sleeping." He replied.

"Stop!" Rachel said putting her hands up in front of her.  "I've heard enough.  That's it." She pointed at him.  "That's the reason why things aren't going the way you want them to go with this girl." She told him.  "See, I told you that that was going to be an important piece of information!" She leaned back in her chair, folded her arms across her chest and looked at him.

"What?" He questioned, feeling a bit uncomfortable with the way she was looking at him but not saying anything.

"Why did you leave while she was still sleeping?" She asked.   

"I--" He began, but she cut him off again.

"You said you really like this girl, right?" She asked.  Chris nodded.  "Did you decide that before or after you slept with her?" She questioned.  He waited to say anything, not knowing if she was going to cut him off again.  "Well?" She prodded when he remained silent.

"Before." He said.

She looked at him for a moment and he once again began to squirm uncomfortably in his chair.  He wondered how JC was ever able to keep anything a secret from her.  She could pull the truth out of anyone and he gave his friend major props for being able to keep their reunion plans from her as long as he had in the past.  "Do you think she liked you?" Rachel asked.

"I hope so." Chris replied, looking down at the table. 

"Okay, listen to me." She said leaning towards him.  "You wanted my help so I'm going to give it to you."  Chris opened his mouth to remind her that he hadn't asked for her help--she had volunteered it--but never got the chance.  "You kind of screwed things up leaving like you did." She told him bluntly.  "You claim it wasn't a hook up, but yet you got up and left like it was.  I know," she said, putting up her hands to stop him when he opened his mouth again to say something.  "I know it can be awkward waking up with someone you don't really know all that well, but if you guys really connected like you say you did and if there were mutual feelings between you and she's anything like me," Rachel put her hand against her chest and Chris found himself praying that Kristen wasn't like Rachel.  He didn't know if he could handle that.  He was perfectly fine leaving JC to deal with Rachel's loveable but crazy ass.  "Waking up without you there would have hurt.  A lot.  And it would have made me think that it was just a one-night stand." 

Chris sighed, letting Rachel's words sink in.  "So what do I do?" He asked. 

"Well..." she paused and he looked over at her.  "What have you done?"

"I called her on Wednesday and asked if she wanted to go out with me next week." He stated.

"And?" Rachel questioned. 

"She hasn't returned my call." He muttered, slumping down in his chair.   

"Okay." She nodded.  "Uhm..." Chris waited as she thought for a moment.  "Do you know where she works?" She asked.

"Yeah." Chris nodded.  "We talked about it while we were eating.  She works at the children's hospital."  Rachel lifted an interested brow and Chris wondered if she had made the connection to the conversation they'd had last night about the hospital putting together the benefit concert.  He saw something spark in her eyes.  "What's that look for?" He asked as a grin spread across her face.

"I'm going to give you a little piece of advice." She said as she leaned towards him.  "JC never gave up."

"What?" He asked with a confused chuckle. "What the hell does JC have to do with any of this?" 

"Just listen to me." Rachel smiled.  "He never gave up.  He knew what he wanted," she pointed at herself, "And he went after it.  Every time I turned around it seemed like he was there--showing up when I least expected.  I went out to a club with some friends one night and he was there." She told him.  "He found out where I lived and showed up when I was feeling sick one day and there was more than one time that he surprised me by showing up where I worked."  She leaned even closer to him.  "It's kind of hard to ignore someone when they're standing right in front of you." She whispered conspiratorially. "You could just show up at her house, but there's the chance that she can slam the door in your face or just not answer or call the cops, but at work..." she trailed off.  "She might not be able to avoid you so easily without causing a scene."

"So I'm just supposed to show up there and ask to see her?" He asked.

"What does she do at the hospital?" Rachel asked.

"Public Relations and Fund Raising." Chris answered.

"Perfect!" Rachel grinned.  "This is what you're going to do..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kristen?" Michael called out Monday morning as she walked past his office on her way to hers.  Kristen closed her eyes, groaning.  She wasn't ready to talk to anyone yet this morning.  It was just one of those mornings where she didn't feel like dealing with anybody and now wished she'd called out instead of coming in.  She stopped and turned around.  "Are you busy this morning?" Michael asked. 

Kristen tugged the strap of her purse higher on her shoulder as she took a sip of the coffee in her hands as she fought not to roll her eyes.  Am I busy this morning?  She questioned.  What kind of lame ass, stupid question is that to ask on a Monday morning?  She wanted to throw back at him.  And love today's sweater. She thought as she took another sip of her coffee.  Did your bowl of fruity pebbles explode all over you this morning?  She wanted to ask as she took in the outrageous and colorful design he was sporting today.  Where in the world do you get these things from?  She questioned internally. 

"I don't think so." She finally said, answering his question.  "I'll have to look at my calendar when I get to my desk but I think my morning is pretty clear.  I was just planning on finishing some paperwork and returning some calls.  Why?"

"I got a call from a new potential donor this morning." Michael told her.  "He's coming in at nine.  I want you to meet with him and give him the tour."

"Why me?" Kristen whined with a roll of her eyes before she could stop herself.  Michael looked at her in disbelief for a moment and Kristen's eyes widened as she clamped a hand over her mouth.  She looked at Michael with wide eyes and hurried to cover up her show of disrespect.  "I mean, of course." She smiled, feeling her cheeks warm in humiliation as he continued to stand there in stony silence--his arms folding across his chest.  She swallowed nervously, wondering what he would do.  She couldn't believe she'd actually stood there and questioned him like that!  She never done that before.  Thought about it?  Sure, all the time.  But actually said the words she was thinking out loud?  Never. 

"Nine o'clock." She nodded.  "I'll be down at the reception desk waiting with a smile on my face." She assured him before turning and quickly making her way to her office.  Sinking down into her chair Kristen moaned as she covered her face with her hands.  "That was brilliant." She berated herself.  She shook her head.  "Piss off your boss first thing Monday morning and make him think you don't like or want to do your job.  Way to go Kristen!" She said, raising her fists in a sarcastic cheer for herself.  She rolled her eyes.  "And I've really got to stop talking to myself." She finished as she lowered her hands.  Reaching for and wrapping her fingers around the paper cup she'd been carrying earlier, Kristen took another sip of the Caffe Mocha she'd gotten on her way in this morning. 

She closed her eyes and let out a quiet moan of pleasure as she savored the familiar taste and felt the warmth of the liquid spreading through her.  She prayed that the caffeine would kick in quickly--waking her up before she had to schmooze this new potential donor.  She didn't want to offend whoever it was and make a fool out of herself like she'd just done with Michael.  He now probably thought she didn't want to do her job when in reality, she was excited to meet with someone new who was interested in donating and getting involved with the hospital.  She loved showing people around, talking with them, introducing them to some of the kids, and letting them see the incredible staff and volunteers the hospital had in action.  It was a rewarding experience being involved with the organization she was a part of and Kristen hoped that whoever it was that was thinking about donating would be able to catch the vision and enthusiasm that each person who worked here had. 

Taking one more sip of her coffee, Kristen set the cup aside, locked her purse up in the bottom drawer of her desk, started up her computer and began attacking the stack of papers on her desk-keeping an eye on the clock.  It wouldn't do to make a bad first impression by being late.  Finally, at 8:45, Kristen stood up.  Grabbing one of the information packets she kept in her desk she took the final sip of her coffee and left her office.  Clipping on her name badge, she made her way out towards the reception desk at the main entrance of the hospital.  Kristen ran her fingers through her hair--mentally running through all the points she wanted to cover and trying to decide where she wanted to start the tour.  She smiled as she turned the final corner and entered the waiting area.  A man off to her right stood as she appeared and Kristen stopped short-her smiling fading as she met a very familiar pair of brown eyes. 

He looked incredible and Kristen feared her knees were going to give out at any moment as he stood there in a pair of dark, loose fitting jeans, a white dress shirt and a dark grey suit coat.  Her eyes ran over him and she noticed that he'd shaved.  When she'd been with him last Saturday, his jaw had been covered by the short beard he'd been wearing lately but now...she swallowed--her mouth suddenly dry, and her heart skipping in her chest.  He was once again sporting the simple goatee she'd always thought was insanely attractive on him.  He stepped towards her, a delicious smile on his gorgeous face and Kristen took a step backwards as he continued to close the space between them.    

"W-what are you doing here?" She asked-surprised she could speak at all.

"I came to see you." He replied and Kristen had to bite her bottom lip to keep a moan from escaping at hearing his voice once again--that seductive voice that had been in her dreams all week.  The voice she had listened to repeatedly on the voicemail she couldn't convince herself to erase. 

"I-I..." She trailed off, wanting to smack herself for allowing him to affect her so easily.  Don't let him get to you.  She told herself.  She shook her head as she stood up straighter and squared her shoulders.  "I'm sorry." She told him, resolving to remain strong.  She didn't know why he was here.  She didn't want to know why he was here.  She just wanted to forget about him.  She didn't want to hear his voice, or see his beautiful face, or dream about his kisses...his touches...the way his skin felt...the way he tasted...

"Why are you sorry?" He asked, breaking her from her dangerous thoughts. 

She shook her head.  "I'm very busy this morning."  She told him.  She cleared her throat.  "I don't have time--"

"I know." Chris replied, nodding his head as he took another step towards her.

Kristen narrowed her eyes as she took another step away from him.  "I have a potential donor coming in that I'm going to be busy showing around." She continued.  "He should be here any minute." She said, forcing her eyes away from him as she looked down at her watch.  "And I don't want him to think I'm slacking on the job standing here talking to you--"

"I'm here." He said.  "And I don't think you're slacking on the job by talking to me."

Kristen's head snapped up as she looked at him in surprise.  He grinned as he held up a visitor badge he had been given by the girl at the front desk and clipped it on the lapel of his jacket.  He grinned. 

"I want to see what this benefit concert you're putting together is going towards."  He told her.  He rubbed his hands together as his grin widened.  "Show me what you got."

~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood, trying to hide the smile that came at seeing Kristen so obviously flustered.  She was completely caught off guard at his admission but he had seen the flash of desire in her eyes when she'd first seen him before she'd tried to hide it-which gave him hope.  She was acting like she wasn't affected by him at all but he had the sneaking suspicion that if he were to push her back against the wall behind them and have his way with her, she wouldn't put up much of a fight, if any.  He made a mental note to thank Rachel for her help and ideas over the weekend.  As much as he hated to admit it, she had been right.  Kristen couldn't avoid him at work without causing a scene.  Even though he didn't know her real well, Chris sensed she wasn't one to cause an unnecessary scene.

He shoved his hands into his pockets as he rocked back on his heels slightly as his eyes ran over the woman standing in front of him in appreciation.  The black heels and slacks she was wearing showcased her incredible long legs and the bright pink, short-sleeved blouse she was wearing fit her perfectly--accentuating the curves he had become acquainted with last weekend and making his mouth go dry.  Her thick curls hung loose around her shoulders and he suddenly itched to sink his fingers into them while pulling her against him--kissing her beautiful mouth.  Her brown eyes regarded him cautiously and he winked at her, chuckling to himself when that simple act caused a blush to spread across her cheeks.  He watched as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and looked down at the folder she was clutching against her chest.

"If you wanted a tour," she said so quietly he had to step closer to her to hear what she was saying.  "You just had to ask."  She looked up at him again and sighed.  "You didn't have to lie."

"Lie?" He questioned, his brows furrowing.  "Who says I'm lying?  What have I lied about?  I haven't lied about anything." 

She dropped her arms to her sides in defeat as she looked at him.  "A potential donor?" She questioned and he fought the desire to squirm under her gaze.  Why did he suddenly feel like a kid who'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

"I make charitable contributions to different organizations all the time." He told her.  "Especially ones that involve and help kids.  When you said you worked here and that you were putting together the benefit concert I wanted to see the place." He looked around the front waiting area.

"So...so this is all just a coincidence?" She asked, looking at him in question.  Her eyes met his, an unreadable expression on her face, and Chris wished he could read her thoughts.  He needed to know if this was working or not.  This wasn't exactly going the way he'd planned.  He had seen her as being excited to see him and eager showed him around the hospital.  Now it seemed like she was about to tell him good-bye.  If she brushed him off then his plans of talking to her and getting her to listen to him--to give him another chance--were ruined.  She turned from him and he took a quick step towards her. 

"Kristen, wait." He said, placing his hand on her upper arm.  She stopped, looked at where his hand rested against her skin then looked at him over her shoulder.  "I just..." he hesitated.  "I just wanted to see you again and...you never returned my phone call and I wasn't sure..." he sighed as he released her arm.  She turned to look at him, arms folded defensively as she held the folder across her chest.   "Look, I didn't mean to make you upset this morning." He stated.  "That wasn't my intention.  I am honestly interested in finding out about the hospital and hearing more about the show you guys want to put together.  I called this morning and talked to some guy..." he paused, searching for the name of the man he'd talked to.  "Michael?" He questioned.  "I think that was his name." He looked at her for validation and she nodded slightly.  "Anyway, I talked to him this morning and asked if you were available today because...because I thought about showing up at your house but figured you'd call the cops and have me arrested for stalking you but here at work you wouldn't be able to ignore me so easily.  I'm sorry." He apologized.  "I'll..." he sighed as he looked down at the floor.  "I'll go now." He said as he turned to leave.  "And I promise I'll quit bothering you."  He promised. 

He began retracing his steps towards the front door--mentally kicking himself.  No wonder he'd decided to remain a bachelor.  He had absolutely no game whatsoever when it came to women.  Rachel could try all she wanted but it was obvious he was fated to remain alone.  How else-

"Stop."

Chris almost tripped over his own feet as he quickly turned at that one word coming from her mouth.  He watched as her arms relaxed slightly.  He lifted his brows in expectation, waiting for her to speak. 

"I've already cleared my morning for this." She said with a shrug and shake her head and he couldn't help the smile that tugged at his lips.  "Might as well show you around." She said as he walked back towards her.  "I wouldn't want my boss to find out I turned away a potential donor." She finished, her lips slowly lifting in a teasing grin and Chris felt his own smile widen.  "I already pissed him off this morning and if he found out you left without getting the grand tour I'd be out looking for a new job before lunch."

"I don't want that to happen." Chris shook his head. 

"Me neither." She said.  She took a deep breath then released it.  "So." She said, turning slightly and gesturing down the long hallway in front of them.  "Shall we?"

"After you." He replied, holding his arm out to her.

~~~~~~~~

Kristen began walking and Chris quickly fell in step beside her.  She still couldn't believe he was here.  She wasn't convinced that he was really only looking for a new charity to support but, who was she to pass up the possible donation he was offering?  They walked silently, side-by-side, for a moment while Kristen tried to forget about the fact that she could practically feel his body heat beside her and she could smell the clean, intoxicating scent of his cologne and aftershave.  She clasped her hands together in front of her to hide their trembling as they continued walking down the corridor, trying to ignore the way her heart was fluttering in her chest; the way she just wanted to throw herself at him and beg him to take her and make her his again and again--like he'd don't last week...

"So..." Chris began, jarring Kristen from her thoughts. 

She cleared her throat and reached up to tuck some of her hair behind her ears, feeling as if her cheeks were blazing.  Did he know what she had just been thinking?

"How--" She turned to ask him a question-hoping to pull her thoughts out of the gutter-but was startled to find him so close.  Had his eyes always been deep and...and...she struggled to find a word worthy enough to describe his eyes.  She felt her breath coming in shallow gasps, her knees wavered slightly as he continued looking at her.  "How..." she cleared her throat again and tried to shake the mental images bombarding her.  It was very hard to concentrate when the memory of their...date...last week was still very fresh in her mind.  She closed her eyes and prayed for the strength to get through this.  "Uhm...how much do you know about the hospital?" She asked. 

"Not a whole lot, I'm ashamed to say." He replied honestly with a shake of his head.  He rubbed the back of his neck in a gesture she'd begun to suspect he did when he was nervous.  She thought about his voicemail message from last week and bit her bottom lip to hide her smile.  She made him nervous.  She couldn't remember the last time a man--an incredible and unbelievably sexy man-had been nervous around her.  Hell, who am I kidding?  She thought with a quiet chuckle.  When has a man ever been nervous around me?  Never!     

"Alright." She said as they approached a set of elevators.  Kristen reached out to press the ‘up' button.  "Then we'll just start at the beginning."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You haven't answered my question." Chris said as he and Kristen stepped onto an elevator after getting the full tour of the pediatric rehabilitation center.  He watched as she looked at him in question.

"What question?" She asked, her brows furrowing slightly.  She was cute when she was confused.  "I'm sorry." She said.  "I must have not heard you.  Did you want to go back and look at something?" She asked reaching out to stop the elevator and return them to the floor they'd been on. 

"No." He said, grabbing her hand before she could press any of the buttons.  He heard her breath hitch at the contact and he smiled.  "You've shown me everything I want to see and answered each of my questions..." he paused and he wondered what she would do if he were to just kiss her right now.  She watched him closely, waiting for him to finish what he had been saying.  "You've answered each of my questions except one." He told her. 

"What question didn't I answer?" She asked, her eyes looking down at their clasped hands and then meeting his once again.

"Are you going to go to the game on Thursday with me?"

~~~~~~

Kristen released the breath she'd been holding since he'd reached for and grabbed her hand and looked away from him.  "I..." she pulled her hand from his and nervously reached up to tuck some hair behind her ear as she looked down at the floor.  "Chris, I..."

He blew out a breath beside her and she turned to look at him.  "I understand." He said, with a nod of his head. 

"No, you don't--" she said, turning to look at him.

"It's okay." He assured her.  "You don't want to go.  That's fine.  I understand--"

"Stop." Kristen said as she reached out and placed a hand on his arm.  She closed her eyes as she sighed.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--the thoughts and emotions that she'd been struggling with all week returning in earnest.  "Chris..." She looked at him, not wanting to say the words but knowing he deserved to hear them.  "I'm married." 

Chapter End Notes:
well??


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris