You Don’t Have to Be Alone (On Christmas)

“JC Chasez, what are you still doing here?” Her voice cut through the otherwise silence that had surrounded him in the studio.

“Jorie Nelson, can’t you see?” JC shot back somewhat sarcastically. He looked up, a smile placing itself on his lips. It got bigger when she merely rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She was leaning in the doorway and studying him.

“Really, Chasez, it’s getting late.” She nodded at the clock that was on the wall of the studio. “Don’t you have some star-studded holiday party to get to? Or maybe an ‘N Suck get together? Either way, I’m sure the ice statues are going to need your attention.”

JC leaned back in his chair, one hand resting behind his head. His other used the pencil that was in his hand to tap his knee. He lightly rocked the chair back and forth and studied her. Her tone took on sarcasm and amusement yet she seemed genuinely interested in what he was going to do for the Christmas holidays.

It wasn’t every day that they get Christmas time off. Now that they were off of their NSA tour cycle they decided to take some time before recording their next CD to relax and enjoy some time with their families. While the others jumped at the chance and went back to their home state to be with their family, JC stayed in Orlando to get some writing done while he had peace and quiet.

“So’s me getting that stick out of your ass,” he responded. He grinned peacefully and ran a hand through his unkempt, wavy, brown hair. She huffed and he shrugged. “I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m really not in the mood for a cold Christmas,” he admitted. “I’m probably just going to stay here.”

“How would the weather matter? You’d be locked inside a room all day,” she stressed, widening her eyes a little bit.

“Ok, ok, I get it.” He threw his pencil down on his notebook and closed it, marking his page. “I’ve been having a little trouble with this anyway.” He gestured to the many pages of papers that were lying around him on the ground, crumbled, balled up, and ripped apart. Barely any of them were intact.

“Just do what I do.”

“What’s that? Bother the other producers to death?” JC mumbled under his breath, collecting the papers that were scattered about the soundboard he had been hovering over the past few weeks.

“Funny, Chasez.” Jorie rolled her eyes again. “No, I do something we normal producers call taking a break.”

“Good, so do you mind and take a break from hovering over my shoulder like a pesky mosquito?” He gently swatted her shoulder with his hand before brushing past her and out the door. “I don’t need you getting on my case. Don’t you have your own client to bother?”

“You stick around longer. It’s a long day.” Jorie shrugged, followed him down the hall, and hooked her arm through his.

“Oh, I feel so blessed.” He chuckled. “Where are you headed, miss? Can I give you a ride?” He asked once they reached the parking lot that was still pretty full despite how late at night it was.

“Well, I was thinking of going to my car since I drove it here…” Jorie said in mock thought. She removed her arm from his and walked in the opposite direction. JC watched her, slowly shaking her head. Her shoulder length brown hair bounced with every step she took, as if a song was playing in her head. “Stop staring, Chasez,” she called over her shoulder without turning around.

“Stop being so damn conceited!” He shot back as he turned to his own car.

“If you’ve got it, flaunt it!”

JC laughed out loud and jabbed his thumb into the unlock button on his keys. Once the door to his old Jeep was open he tossed his notebook into the passenger side and got in himself. He paused halfway through buckling himself in when he felt like someone was watching him. He looked up and across the parking lot to see Jorie leaning against the side of her car, watching him. He smiled a little and waved. She wave back before flipping him off.

He shook his head, started his car, and backed out of the parking space. He honked his horn when he passed her and drove off into the darkness to get to his house. He sighed over the Christmas music that was pouring out of the speakers. Normally he loved listening to Christmas music; he loved singing along to his favorite holiday songs. Only this Christmas it was a bitter reminder for him.

To be honest, he wasn’t in the mood to celebrate that year because he was alone. True, he could just go back home to Bowie, Maryland and be with his family, but he didn’t want to be with them because he was ditched by his other family.

JC mentally kicked himself for thinking that. His friends never ditched hi, he knew that, yet it felt as such. He was the one who had suggested they all stay in Orlando for Christmas and spend it together, just the five of them, just being themselves, being in sync (pun intended). They all had looked at him as if he were crazy. They did stare at him as if he was crazy, which he now thinks he was.

He should’ve known that they would have wanted to go home. They did just get off a tour a few weeks prior and they really needed the break. But was it too much trouble to ask them to stay in Orlando with him?

 

~*~*~

 

“Hey girl, I’m back!” Jorie shouted as she closed the door to her apartment behind her. It was pleasantly warm and the heat was inviting. Despite it being Orlando the temperature still managed to drop to 53°. Although it wasn’t cold it was cold enough for the residents to feel the need to wear light jackets.

“Hey Jo,” her roommate Allison called from the mini kitchen. “Where’ve you been? I thought you’d be back hours ago.”

“I stuck around a bit to talk to JC,” she replied, going into the kitchen to see Allison rolling a rolling pin over some dough.

“He’s still there?” Allison asked in concern. “Why does he work so late?”

“Beats me.” Jorie shrugged. “That’s just how he is but I doubt that that’s the reason he’s been working so hard for the past couple of weeks.” She crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head as a look of deep through crossed her features.

“Maybe it’s the holidays?” Allison suggested. “Maybe he’s getting a lot of work done before he visits his family or something.”

Jorie shook her head. “He’s not going anywhere this year. He said he’s going to stay here and take advantage of the peace and quiet.”

“I don’t doubt that.” Allison used a cookie cutter to cut out gingerbread men shapes, Christmas tree shapes, and wreath shapes. “With those guys around him all of the time looking for a party peace and quiet is what I would want too.”

“Yes, but I don’t get why he wouldn’t just to back home,” Jorie mumbled as she rested her chin in her palm. She was thinking out loud more than she was actually speaking to Allison. “He says he has work to do, but he always has work. That’s just who he is. Think, Jo, think. There has to be something that you’re missing.”

“If I may interrupt,” Allison called, breaking Jorie’s thoughts.

“Talk, girl,” Jorie added.

“Maybe JC is working late all of the time to avoid something?” Allison suggested in question form.

“Hmmm…keep talking.”

“If he works in the studio all of the time, he’d be busy all day. It would be easier for him to avoid something or someone. He’d have the perfect excuse to say that he was busy to do something or to talk to someone. Or, he could be trying to deny something that’s right in front of him.”

“Like what? He’s a work-aholic?” Jorie asked sarcastically with an eye roll.

“No, that he’s lonely.” Jorie stared at Allison as she slid the cookie tray into the oven. Once she closed the door she wiped her hands on her apron before leaning against the island and looked Jorie in the eye. “You mentioned to me that he told you that all of his friends went home, right?” Jorie nodded. “JC’s still here. He could be lonely. He’s working really hard to deny the fact that he’s sad that he’ll be alone on Christmas.”

“It’ll also explain why he’s been a bit irritable lately,” Jorie said as she rubbed her chin.

“Uh-oh.” Allison grinned. “You have that look in your eye. What are you planning?”

“I’m planning that JC won’t be alone on Christmas,” Jorie replied, the fire that appeared whenever she had to deal with a challenge was back in her eyes.

“How’re you going to pull it off?” Allison asked.

“Just leave that to me.”

 

~*~*~

Merry Christmas, happy holidays
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
(Merry Christmas)
Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
Ooh yeah

JC rubbed his eyes and slammed his fist on the bleating alarm clock that was by his head the next morning. He really just wanted to hit the snooze button, roll over, and go back to sleep. Having to hear ‘N Sync’s popular Christmas song, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, would get on his nerves after playing for a few minutes so he forced himself out of bed and shuffled over to the shower.

The warm spray of the water instantly woke him up and relieved him of the sleepiness that seemed to engulf him like a large quilt. He closed his eyes and tilted his head back, allowing the warm water to trickle through his hair. After a few minutes of standing under the water he grabbed the shampoo bottle and quickly washed his hair.

After getting clean he stood in front of his closet, thinking of what to wear. He stood in front of it for about five minutes before finally deciding on jeans and a long-sleeved black shirt. He pulled on his shoes, grabbed his notebook, and spun his car keys around his finger, whistling a tune and walked out the front door.

Something in his demeanor had changed. Jorie could tell when she watched him walk across the parking lot and into the studio. It was as if he had pep in his step. A peaceful smile was on his lips and he smiled and greeted everyone he passed cheerfully. Either he had gotten laid or it was Christmas working its magic on him.

We've been waiting, all year for this night
When the snow is glistening on the trees outside
And all the stockings are hung by the fireside
Waiting for Santa to arrive

“Hey Shazam,” Jorie called as she raced after him. He stopped and turned slightly, smiling and waving at her. He continued walking once she stepped up beside him. “What put some springs in your shoes?”

JC shrugged. “I’m just happy,” he replied. “I’ll admit I wasn’t in the mood to wake up this morning. But I had a feeling that today was going to be a good day so…I’m just happy.” He shrugged again.

“Riiiight.” Jorie looked at him in suspicion. “So, um, what’re your plans for today again?”

“Nothing,” he replied. “I’m not really going to be doing anything until January comes around, then I have some *Nsync stuff to do before we start recording our new CD.”

“That fast? You just got off the tour,” she pointed out, pausing as JC pulled open the door and held it for her to walk by.

“I know.” He followed her into the studio. “We don’t want to be gone too long. We want to get the next CD out as soon as possible so they won’t forget who we are.”

Jorie scoffed. “Like anyone can forget something like…’Baby when you finally get to love somebody, guess what, it’s gonna be me’. Boy, please.” She lightly punched his arm.

“Huh, you claim to hate us yet you know the words to one of our songs,” JC pointed out.

Jorie squinted at the grin that was on his face. “Despite what you think I don’t listen to your songs. My roommate Allison does.”

“But you know the wor–”

“I can’t turn my ears off, Chasez.” JC laughed, shaking his head a bit as he moved to turn a corner and go down a separate hallway. “Yo.” JC stopped and, once again, turned around. “You not doing anything tonight, right?”

“No, I not doing anything,” he replied, mocking the way she spoke.

She fought the urge to roll her eyes. “You are now. You’re coming to dinner with me.”

“Funny, I don’t remember you asking me,” JC pointed out, crossing his arms over her chest.

Now Jorie really wanted to strangle him. “JC, do you want to go to dinner with me tonight?”

“Hmmm…” JC tapped his chin, pretending to think. “Depends, are you asking me out on a date?”

“Depends, are you saying yes?” She questioned, raising her eyebrows.

“What would you do if I said yes?”

“Then I’d say it was a date.”

“And if not?”

“Then I’d hit you over the head until you forget what I just said until it morphed into you thinking that we’re hanging out.”

JC chuckled and ran a hand through his hair. “Why not? I’ll pick you up at 7?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Jorie nodded and went down the hall in the opposite direction of him. Once she was out of his line of vision she ran to her office and dropped down in her swivel chair. She pushed herself over to her phone and quickly dialed a number. “Hey, it’s me. Yeah, everything’s going according to plan. Make sure the apartment is ready by the time I get back tonight, ok? Ok, bye.”

 

~*~*~


And all the love will show
Cuz everybody knows
It's Christmas time and
All the kids will see
The gifts under the tree
It's the best time of year for the family

Jorie tapped her fingers against the top of island she was sitting behind, watching Alison pull another pan of cookies out of the oven. Allison smiled to herself, enjoying the signs of Jorie’s impatience. She always had a suspicion that she had a crush on the Nsyncer, even if she didn’t want to admit it or even if she was aware of it.

From what Jorie told Allison she was extremely eager for the day to end. So eager, in fact, that she had practically ignored her client all day. If it weren’t for the fact that Jorie had become friends with the newest up-and-coming pop star then she would’ve been in deep shit with her boss. Jorie had called the apartment numerous times to make sure her reservation was still ready and nothing had made them change. Jorie had called so much, in fact, that Allison had wanted to unplug the phone for the rest of the day, but she knew she couldn’t do that. She had to be happy for her best friend, no matter how crazy she was acting.

“Jo, chill, he still has five minutes,” Allison commented as she untied her apron and dropped it onto the counter. “Why don’t you help me with the rest of the decorations so you don’t drive yourself crazy?”

“Did you have to use those exact words?” Jorie groaned as she followed Allison to their balcony where Allison had set up a tree. It was the last part of their apartment that needed the rest of the decorations; it only had lights on it.

“Huh?” Allison asked in confusion as she opened up a box labeled tinsel. “What’re you talking about?” She asked as she pulled out their favorite tinsel: silver and gold.

“Drive yourself crazy,” Jorie repeated. “It sounds like that *Nsync song I Drive Myself Crazy  and now it’s stuck in my head, thanks to you,” she continued, lifting some silver tinsel and started to wrap it around the tree.

“How do you even know that they have a song called I Drive Myself Crazy?” Allison asked with a grin. Jorie scowled. “I swear, you’re a closet *Nsync fan. Don’t worry, I won’t make fun of you. Don’t forget, I love them.”

“I’m not a fan,” Jorie replied through clenched teeth.

“Well, then our date will be kinda awkward, dontcha think?”

Jorie shrieked and whirled around so fast she almost slipped on the little patch of ice that always seemed to form during Christmas (which Jorie still found odd considering how warm it is in Orlando).

She turned and blushed when she noticed JC leaning in the doorway of the balcony. He was wearing what she secretly called his ‘tough-guy-meets-clean-cut’ look: black leather pants, a black zip-up hoodie, and a white t-shirt underneath, which is the same thing he’s worn on a talk show once before (not that Jorie paid that close attention). “How’d you get in here?” She demanded.

“I have my ways of persuasion,” JC replied. “Hi, you must be Allison,” JC said as he held out his hand and smiled warmly at her.

“Yeah. You’re JC,” she said shaking his hand. “I’m going to be honest; I’m a huge fan of your band.”

“Aww, thanks,” JC replied.

“I’d ask for an autograph but that’d be kinda tacky seeing as I just met you,” she continued. “Although I all ready know so much about you because of Jorie here.”

Jorie glared at Allison while JC’s smile got bigger. “Yeah? What does she say?”

“Does it matter?” Jorie interrupted. “We have to go now if we’re going to make reservations,” she added, staring hard at JC.

“Ok,” JC chuckled. Jorie fumed at how calm and collected he was being. “Oh, and Allison, I’ll sign something for you later, ok honey?”

‘Oh great, now Allison’s going to call for that honey crap,’ Jorie thought as she held her breath. But, to her surprised, Allison just smiled, nodded, and said, “Have fun.”


It's a wonderful feeling
Feel the love in the room
From the floor to the ceiling
It's that time of year
Christmas time is here
And with the blessings from above
God sends you his love
And everything's okay
Merry Christmas, happy holidays

 

“So where are we going exactly?” JC asked as they walked down the sidewalk to get to the parked cars.

“A good restaurant,” Jorie replied. “I don’t expect you to know what one is because you’ve been trapped in the studio for so long.”

“Ha ha ha,” JC laughed sarcastically. “I know a good restaurant when I see one. I have traveled all over the world you know.”

“Yeah yeah,” Jorie grumbled. She didn’t know if JC was bragging or if he was trying to impress her, either way she didn’t want to admit that she was impressed.

Slightly impressed.

“Your car or mine?” JC asked.

“We’re not taking your death trap you call a car,” Jorie replied, pressing the unlock button on her keys.

“My jeep isn’t that bad,” JC said even though he got into the passenger side of her car.

“If you like taking risks every time you get in it,” Jorie shot back. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll drop you off at your place after dinner.”

“How am I going to get my car back?”

“Allison will drive it and then I’ll bring her back once I drop you off.”

“I don’t want her to stay outside all night,” JC said as he whipped out his phone. “What’s her number? I’m going to tell her where the spare key is.”

Jorie recited the number, trying to keep the smile off of her face.

Oh yeah
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Happy holidays

Bells are ringing
It's time to scream and shout
(Scream and shout)
And everybody's playing cuz school's out
Celebrating, the special times we share
Happiness cause love is in the air

 

~*~*~

“I have to admit…I didn’t think you’d take me to a place as fly as this,” JC commented as he looked around the dimly lit restaurant before smiling at her. Jorie fought a snort as his use of the word ‘fly’. It was obvious he had been spending a little bit too much time with his MMC pal, Justin. Justin was known for the Nsyncer who tried to sound like a gangster, if he wasn’t known for his curls, his voice, or his smooth dance style.

“Sorry it’s not as five star as you’re used to,” Jorie commented.

JC turned to look at her. “I don’t always go five star,” he pointed out, leaning back a bit in his seat and peering at her through the soft candle light that was on the table. “I think you have some distorted view of what I’m like. If you’ve forgotten or you don’t read newspapers, I just got out of a bad financial battle with the greediest man alive. Just because I get more money now doesn’t mean I spend it on my own free will.” He paused. “Hell, I bought houses for my brother and my sister, and I got a home for my parents in Chicago to make sure they would be financially set. I put some of my earnings into charities, and the other things I use for bills and taxes. I rarely use my money on myself, and when I do, I’m not extravagant with it.”

Jorie stayed silent, pushing the food around her plate, glancing around at the other couples that were in the area. They were smiling at each other, talking quietly, leaning in for kisses every now and then. Jorie hated their PDA but she was envious of it at the same time. She wanted a relationship with someone like that but she had always gone about it the wrong way, ending up with slime balls, perverts, or controllers. She needed someone like, well, like JC. He was the only person who’s stood up to her bite so far and he’s the only one who came out alive.

“Sorry,” Jorie mumbled.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” JC asked innocently.

‘He knows what I said!’ Jorie took a deep breath anyway. “I said I’m sorry,” she repeated. “For the accusations, I mean. I’m just kinda…pissed, I guess. Your life is a lot easier because all you do is dance and sing on stage for people every night. You produce on the side, for me it’s a job, my life. If someone doesn’t do as well as others suspect, the blame goes to me and there goes my reputation that I worked hard for.”

“Don’t apologize,” JC said as he shook his head. “I get it. But really, our shows aren’t as easy as they look.”

“Really? It’s not easy to dance and sing your way through the night?” Jorie asked with a raised eyebrow.

JC shook his head and took a sip of his drink. “Our days are 12 to 14 hours long, and that’s only for practicing, before a tour is even set up. Once a tour is started we have to go through set lists, give the final ok on lights and pyro, learn new choreography, block it, and practice all the way up to the show,” he explained. “And when we’re not doing that we’re going to radio interviews, TV interviews, phone interviews, show appearances to promote, award shows, TV cameos, anything we can do to make sure we stay in the minds’ of our fans. Trust me, it’s not a walk in the park.” He chuckled a bit and popped a piece of a breadstick into his mouth, his eyes bathed in a warm golden glow from a candle.

 

And all the love will show
Cuz everybody knows
It's Christmas time and
All the kids will see
(Will see)
The gifts under the tree
(The tree)
It's the best time of year for the family

Jorie immediately looked back down at her plate, confused as to why her heart suddenly decided to ram itself against her chest. The rest of their conversation was light small talk about their clients and how they were doing. JC watched Jorie talk with interest, her eyes lit up whenever she spoke about her client and how she was having a hand in making the girl with Next-Big-Thing potential.

JC couldn’t help himself but smile at how her eyes lit up, how she waved her hands around for emphasis, and how she dind’t care how loud she was talking (she always talked loud when she got excited about something). There was something about Jorie that was more…real than any other girl that he’s dated.

Sure, she’s been a challenge to get to know, but he enjoyed getting to know her. He learned something new about her everyday and their friendship constantly had him thinking of the next sarcastic comment he could use to challenge her into using something else. It was like a game to them, but it was the challenge that strengthened their friendship and it was the same challenge that was helping JC see her in a new light.


It's a wonderful feeling
(Wonderful feeling)
Feel the love in the room
From the floor to the ceiling
It's that time of year
(That time if year)
Christmas time is here
And with the blessings from above
God sends you his love
And everything's okay
Merry Christmas, happy holidays

“You ready to go, Superstar?” Jorie asked, breaking JC’s trance. He blinked and nodded, popping one more piece of the food into his mouth. Jorie nodded back and motioned the waiter over so they could get their check.

“So what’re we doing now?” JC questioned, looking at his watch. “It’s only...8:45.”

“Well, I have to get some last minute work done before I fly out to Pennsylvania,” Jorie replied. “So if you don’t mind me taking you back now…?”

“Nah, it’s cool. I understand the work thing.” JC smiled in understanding.

“Over achiever,” Jorie fake-sneezed. JC’s smile merely got bigger.


Merry Christmas
(Merry Christmas)
Merry Christmas
Happy holidays
Oooh...
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
And happy holidays

No matter what your holiday
It's a time to celebrate
Now put your worries aside
(Worries aside)
And open up your mind
(Open up your mind)
And see the world right by your side
It's Christmas time

 

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually had fun,” JC said as the two walked up the driveway to get to JC’s house.

“Wow, that’s very…nice of you, I think,” Jorie said in confusion.

“Well, to be honest I thought it would just be a night of you insulting me,” JC said as he rubbed the back of his neck. “So what’re your plans for the rest of the Holidays?”

“Like I said I’m going to Pennsylvania,” she said as they stepped onto the porch and she swung her keys around her finger, suddenly nervous. “I’m going to hang out with my brother, I haven’t seen him in three years because of work and it’s been killing me. We’re really close.”

“Three years?” JC repeated. “Man, I don’t know how you put up with it.”

“I’m sarcastic and a bitch,” she replied, shrugging.

“You’re not a bitch,” JC said as he shook his head. “Quite the opposite, you’re just…loud, to put it simply.”

“Hey!” Jorie cried out, lightly slapping him on the arm.

“Whoa, honey, I never said that was a bad thing,” he said as he rubbed his arm. Jorie blushed at the nickname and looked around. JC shifted his attention to his house. He blinked and looked around, noticing the decorations for the first time. “Wha…? Who did this?”

“Allison,” Jorie responded. “She goes nuts during Christmas. She must’ve found your decorations while she waited.” She paused. “Shouldn’t make her wait any longer,” she added, reaching for the doorknob.

“Wait.” JC grabbed her wrist. She pulled his out of his grasp but turned to face him. “What?”

He merely pointed above her head. She gave him a confused look before looking up where he was pointing. Her heart dropped but beat rapidly at the same time, making her feel like she was going to throw up. She looked over at JC to see that he was leaning towards her, his eyes closed. She bit her lip as she weighed over her options in her head.

Kiss him?

Stop him?

Knee him in the balls, point, and laugh?

Run away?

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Happy holidays
(Sing it everybody!)
Merry Christmas
(Come on now!)
Merry Christmas
(Lemme hear ya!)
Merry Christmas
And happy holidays

It's a wonderful feeling
Feel the love in the room
From the floor to the ceiling
It's that time of year
(That time if year)
Christmas time is here
And with the blessings from above
God sends you his love
And everything's okay
Merry Christmas, happy holidays

Her answer was the sound of rapid footsteps moving towards the door. JC stood up straight, looking at the door in confusion, completely forgetting about what he was about to do. Before any of them could move the door was pulled open. JC’s eyes widened a bit before he was tackled off of his porch and landed on the ground, a curly-haired boy landed on top of him.

“JC! It’s about time you get here! What kind of host are ya, man? Leaving your guests alone for three hours. I mean, come on, dude! You should know not to leave Chris alone for thirty minutes. You should see what he did to your bathroom.”

“I didn’t do anything!” Chris shouted as he, too, ran off of the porch and landed ontop of the two blue-eyed boys. “It was Baby J’s idea, all his idea.”

“Yeah, that’s great guys,” JC groaned, struggling to get up under their weight. He managed to see Joey and Lance standing on the porch. “You two aren’t going to crush me either, are you?” He questioned.


(Come on now!)
Merry Christmas
(Lemme hear ya!)
Merry Christmas
And Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas
(Merry Christmas)
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Happy holidays

 

“No, we decided to let you live,” Joey replied.

“Not that I want to break up this love fest,” Jorie said as she stood over JC, Allison by her side. “But we have to go.”

“Ok,” JC sighed, feeling his heart sink. “Merry Christmas.”

“Happy Holidays, JC,” Jorie said with a small wave. Allison gave them a smile before walking off. “Here,” Jorie held out a piece of paper. JC managed to free his arm and take the slip of paper, watching Jorie walk away upsidedown. Justin and Chris got off of JC and pulled him to his feet.

“Come inside, it’s cold,” Lance called form the porch.

“It’s not cold, this is Orlando!” Justin called back although the all rushed inside. JC was practically blinded by all of the light that was coming out of the living room that had been decorated, thanks to Allison.

“Geeze, Daddy C, did you eat at all?” Chris asked, poking JC in the side. “You’re as scrawny as ever, you chicken wing.”

“C’mon, even though it’s Christmas Eve you have to open the presents we got you,” Joey said excitedly as if he were a five year old again.

“Wait,” JC held up his hands as the other guys continued to grin at him. “How did you guys get here? When did you guys get here? Why are you here? You’re supposed to be with your families.”

You’re our family too, Josh,” Justin replied, lightly knocking his shoulder against JC’s. “Actually we got a call from a girl named Jorie. Was that the chick standing outside?” JC nodded. “Anyway, we got a call from her asking us to come in so we could make you happy because you were alone on Christmas.”

“I wasn’t lonely,” JC defended himself.

“I said alone not lonely,” Justin said with a knowing smile. “But it’s nice to know that we were missed too. So, we got on the earliest flights out of our homes and came here. We got here about…three hours ago, almost four. Then this other girl, Allison I think her name was, came over and we helped her decorate. She said it was a surprise for you from that Jorie girl.”

“Wait, Jorie did all of this?” JC asked in shock.

“Aparently,” Lance replied.

“She’s one special chick, huh?” Joey asked with a grin.

“Umm,” JC looked down at the piece of paper in his hands. “Not really, just a good friend that I work with. You know me, never mix business with pleasure.” He looked up. “I made some cookies earlier if you want some.” His friends pulled faces. “They’re insta-bake,” JC said with an eyeroll. They brightened up and ran into the kitchen. JC took that as an opportunity to open the piece of paper and read what it said:

You can’t fool me, Chasez. I could tell how lonely you were. I hope having your friends around makes it a better Christmas for you. You don’t know how hard it was to get them all to come here but I did it. How amazing am I? Merry Christmas, Joshua

~Jo

P.S. If you ever get bored, give me a call.

JC smiled and said to himself, “But I can always make an exception.”

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
(Come on now)
Merry Christmas
Happy holidays

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoy this story, HarmonySparkle!

Completed
Mack_Attack22 is the author of 55 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Are You Gonna Be There. The previous story in the series is Truths. The next story in the series is Hacky Sack.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story