In all the years they have known each other there has never been a time when they couldn't talk to each other about anything. They were entering new territory. They both had thriving careers and day jobs to worry about, men problems were never an issue before. Olivia was the one with the same guy throughout high school and college. They were the high school sweethearts that you always looked at with envy. They were so in love and so happy with one another. Julia may have jumped from relationship to relationship quicker than the blink of an eye but guys never interfered with their friendship. They always made sure each other was first in their lives. But now, there were secrets and lies that seem to become more a part of their everyday life.

 

Julia

 

            My return flight to Los Angeles wasn't so easy. The flight had terrible turbulence and the woman sitting next to me talked the entire flight. I really didn't need to know about her best friend's sister's boyfriend's sister's daughter. At one point I thought I was going to slap her in the face so she would shut up. I was trying to collect my own thoughts and think how I was going to tell Olivia about Trace. Why was this so difficult? I guess a part of me felt bad that she was still grieving the death of her fiancé and here I was happily in a new relationship. I couldn't imagine being in her footsteps. But I think it was time to stop candy coating my lies and put the truth on the table.

As I stood at the arrival terminal at LAX waiting on a cab my palms begin to get sweaty. This feels worse than if I was telling her I was getting married. I was more nervous about this conversation than any conversation that I have had with her.

In the cab, I pick up the phone and call the person that I think is going to calm me down.

"Hey babe." I say in a monotone voice that isn't normal for me.

"Is there something wrong? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just worried about this lunch date with Olivia."

‘You're still worried about that?"

"Of course I am. The closer it gets to lunch time the more nervous I get." I start twisting my hair into my fingers. A nervous habit I have never been able to break.

"You have been friends for most of your life, she will understand."

"I know she will. That's not the problem."

"Then what is? Is it me? Do you think she won't approve of me?"

"No, it's not that. She would only disapprove of you if you treated me bad...  Olivia has just been so heartbroken the last year... I feel bad that I'm happy and she is in pieces."

"What about that new guy she was seeing?"

"I don't think that's what it was. It was just a hookup."

"Oh. I wish Justin wasn't so smitten with this new chick he met. I really think they would be perfect together."

"I don't know. Olivia doesn't care for rich people, remember?"

"I remember, but Justin doesn't act like that. He wasn't raised like that. He is level headed."

"Maybe someday they will end up together."

"Trace, I got to go. I just pulled up to Apple Pan, I have to go in."

"Go see your best friend. Everything will be fine."

 

 

Olivia

 

I hate walking into a restaurant alone. I look like the loser that has to eat lunch by herself. Julia better hurry up. If she isn't here in ten minutes, I will go wait in my car for her.

My phone buzzes on the table. I pick it up and a smile creeps up on my face.

"I will be back in town tomorrow. I would love for us to get together." It was Justin. He used the word ‘love'. That freaked me out a little.

I replied, "Only if your naked and moaning my name very slowly."

"Girl, don't tempt me to fly back tonight."

"Do what you need to do Timberlake."

"I will see you tomorrow night, around 8?"

"So, by 8:15 you will be moaning my name, correct?"

"Ugh... See you tomorrow. 8 Sharp."

 

As crazy as it sounds, I was really okay with having a sexual relationship with him and that's what it. That's what it has been since the night we met, granted it has only been four days. I wasn't going to tell a soul that I was seeing him. It was going to be my little secret. I couldn't risk anyone knowing and taking that information to my agency and ruining my contract with Jive.

There's Julia walking through the door, finally. She looks like she is worried about something, not her normal self. She walked over to my table I stood and hugged her.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just have a lot of my mind."

"Something I can help you with?"

"Actually yes... But let's start with you. How are you doing?"

"I'm great, just a busy day in the office. Going through thousands of photos I took on Monday. Trying to figure out what to do with all of them now" I laugh as the waitress drops off two glasses of iced tea with raspberries.

"How was the first client? Someone good?" Julia asks.

Good is an understatement. Breathe. Speak. You can do this. "The first shoot was good. The shots came out beautiful. It was a very stressful day, but I got through it. I have my next client tomorrow. It's on location at the beach tomorrow so it should be interesting. You should stop by."

"I might do that. I ... I ..."

"Jules, what's wrong. Just tell me."

            The waitress drops off our salads and refills our drinks. She begins to sip on her tea then begins to ramble. "I have been seeing someone. It's just a casual thing right now. It's nothing serious. I don't know what is going to happen..."

I am not shocked; I knew she was seeing someone. I actually thought it was a little more serious than casual dating but maybe I was wrong.

 

 

Julia

 

It's just a casual thing right now. It's nothing serious.

Did I really just say that to her. It was a boldface lie. I was hopelessly falling for that man. Why couldn't I just tell her the truth? She seems to be okay with the idea of me being with someone. I know that it has been a while since Austin died. She has seemed to be dealing with that issue better than I expected her to be. I don't know if I could have dealt with everything she has gone through and still be standing on two feet with my head held high. She is stronger than I could have ever been.

"So, let's talk about Saturday... who was the guy you left with."

Her face is shocked and turning a shade of pink. "What do you mean?"

"Don't play games with me. I was at the apartment when you guys came in and he was there where I left in the morning and you were still having sex."

She drops her hands over her face. "I didn't know you saw us."

"I didn't see you, I just heard you. So who was it? Someone I know?"

"No. No one you know personally, it's some guy. It's no big deal."

There was something she wasn't telling me but I wasn't going to press the issue. After all I was holding back from her about Trace. I smile out of nowhere. His name alone makes me smile.

"Why are you smiling?" Olivia asks.

"Nothing, just remembering someone... something." She corrects herself.

"Oh, well I hate to run but I have to get back into the office. I have things to finish before tomorrow's shoot."

"It was great seeing you. I don't know if I will be home when you get there. I have dinner plans. Maybe we can cook dinner at home tomorrow?"

"I wouldn't count on me tomorrow. I don't know how long the shoot is going to be."

Why do I feel like a piece of our friendship is gone? We always made time for each when we lived in San Francisco. Maybe I was feeling guilty and there nothing wrong but I couldn't shake this feeling that I was losing the one person that I have always had standing next to me.

 

Olivia

            I sit back in my office staring at this photo of Justin. He is just standing against the wall not even looking into the camera. It was a photo that typically would be considered a delete file. It had nothing to do with what we were trying to accomplish. However the smile on his face is so genuine and pure I can't help but to use it for something.  I want to kiss those lips again.

            Jenny walks into my office. "What are you doing that is making you smile like that?"

I gesture for her to come behind my desk and look. "I just love this shot. It's so random yet so genuine."

"That's a gorgeous shot of him. Are you going to use it?"

"I want to. I really think it's a good shot of him and it really fits who he is and not this overworked superstar that most people think he is."

"How do you know who he really is?"

Shit. "Oh. I am just assuming from what I learned about him on the set."

"Oh. Ok. Sure." She smiles and rolls her eyes at me. "Are you ready to spend the day at the beach tomorrow?"

"Yes. I just hope the artist works with me and get the stuff done because I would like to get home early tomorrow."

"Do you have a big date planned?"

"No, it's not like that. I do have plans though, if I get finished with work early enough."

"I will keep everyone in line for you. I got your back." She turns and walks out of my office. "See you in the morning."

           

            The apartment was quiet when I got home that night. I was used to that, but tonight was different. I knew that Julia was in town but she wasn't spending the time with me. I ate cold pizza that was left in the fridge from last night and sat on the balcony drinking an ice cold beer. It tasted so good tonight. Knowing that I had to be up early in the morning didn't stop me from drinking six of the twelve that I bought. I had a reason to be drinking tonight. But I wasn't going to let that reason run through my head tonight. Not tonight.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story