"The snow is coming down in blankets, covering the entire city.  This is possibly the hardest blizzard we've seen here in at least five years and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon.  We advise anyone trying to go out in this storm to seriously reconsider; the roads won't be cleared until sometime later today because it is simply too dangerous too resolve the problem right now.  Looks like we're in for a long night.  Reporting live from downtown Indianapolis, Carrie Daniels channel four eyewitness news."

 

 

It figures the one time Ava decides to come home for the holidays, the city would get this kind of weather.  Serves her right she guesses.  Her parents tried to convince her to let them come to her but no, she wasn't having that.  She just had to have some of her mom's home cooking and get some quality time with her parents, in her old room and she wasn't taking no for an answer.  Well, never say the LORD doesn't answer prayers. 

 

 

Ava knew she had no business traveling this close to her due date.  Yeah, you heard right.  Ava is 26 years old, a managing partner of the biggest catering/event planning firm in Baltimore and she's 37 weeks pregnant.  Worst of all, she had to bring her goofy, hyper-active, sometimes neurotic but always endearing, pain-in-my-whole-ass child's father along.  She'd told him time and again that she'd be fine on her own but he insisted on being there for her and her little girl...their little girl.

 

 

Flashback: Two weeks ago...

 

 

"I'll be fine traveling on my own.  It's only a nine hour drive, it'll be alright.  You'll be fine, I'll be fine, we'll all be fine."

 

"Ava, do you know how close you are to your due date?  If you think it's necessary to go home for Christmas then I need to be there.  What if you go into labor on the way?  Or during Christmas dinner?  I'm not missing out on the birth of our baby.  I'm coming, get used to it."

 

"Josh, I'll be in town before the baby's born.  I'm only 37 weeks and I'll be home in a six days.  My parents are driving back with me so we can all be together.  You were just saying how your mom was so excited to have you home for the holidays.  She'll be disappointed with you and angry at me if you come along.  I'll be okay, I promise."

 

"Do you know how upset I'd be if something happened to you on the road?  Especially if I could've been there for you?  I'll never forgive myself and I'm not taking that chance.  Either I come with you, or I fly and meet you there.  You choose."

 

"Fine, fine.  I don't want to argue with you.  Be sure your packed and ready to go.  We leave at 5am sharp.  Don't make me wait because I will leave you."

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

They met about six years ago during a meeting for the condo association.  He had been nominated for president and was soliciting votes from his neighbors.  Now, most of the people could care less about who won, they all pretty much minded their own business, only participating in the various holiday parties given in the building's bar/restaurant that Ava's company helped run.  Josh was so charming and witty and caring that Ava was captivated and voted for him easily.  Every couple of weeks or so (when JC was in town), they'd run across each other.  In the lobby or the elevator going up to their respective penthouses.  Josh's place was on the left, Ava's on the right.  There wasn't an instant attraction for either party.  They didn't hook up until the liquor started kicking in at one of those infamous parties given earlier this year.

 

 

Flashback #2: 3/17/09..the St. Patrick's Day Party

 

 

"Ava, this is by far the best St. Patrick's Day party we've had in years.  You've really outdone yourself."  said Mrs. Winters, the nosiest person in the building.  Ava tried her hardest to avoid her at all costs.

 

"Thank you Mrs. Winters but this was all Josh's doing.  I just provided all the food and entertainment for the kids."

 

"Well you should be thanked for that alone.  Anything that gives Mr. Winters and I a moments peace, we're grateful for.  You know, I heard Josh has a bit of a crush on you.  Would you like me to investigate?"

 

"That's alright Maribeth.  I'm not ready to date just yet."  Ava answered shakily.  Noticing that she had stepped in it (so to speak), Mrs. Winters patted Ava on the shoulder with a sigh.

 

"I'm so sorry hon.  I know you've had a hell of a year.  I just thought that maybe you were ready to move on.  Jackson was an asshole for what he did to you but you just seemed to bounce back so quickly.  I thought it would be okay.  I really didn't mean to overstep." 

 

After apologizing, she excused herself to which Ava was thankful.  It seemed her divorce was the topic of the year for her building.  Every night, someone was leaving her cards, flowers, chocolates, or even full course meals on her doorstep. 

 

 

Jackson Montgomery was the wealthiest real estate attorney on the east coast.  To make a long story short...

 

They met. 

 

Fell in love. 

 

Married four months later. 

 

He cheated. 

 

She got 65% of EVERYTHING as per the prenuptial agreement he insisted she sign. 

 

That meant she received all but two of the houses, all of the cars, controlling interest in all of his business dealings and stock portfolio.  The funny thing is, other than paying attorneys fees and other miscellaneous charges and debts owed by the couple, she hasn't touched another dime.  She donated four of the residential properties to charities that helped the homeless.  She bought herself this condo before they even met, moved out when they got married and back in during the separation and subsequent divorce.  Every penny of the 24 million she received hasn't been touched yet.  She just wanted to move on with her life; which is what she did. 

 

She shook her head of those thoughts when she saw Josh approaching her.  She smiled warmly at him, welcoming the interruption from her mind.

 

"Hey Ava, thanks again for everything you did for the party.  I never would have thought to have something for the kids to do.  I thought this would've been an adults only party."

 

"I know there aren't many kids in the building but its never good to rule out the possibility.  Great turnout though."

 

"Yeah, I'm glad they all came out.  Would you like a drink?  The bartender whipped up some kind of green cocktail in honor of St. Patty's day.  They're really good."

 

"Sure, thank you."  He goes over to the bar to retrieve the liquid concoction and she accepts graciously. The two of them found a cozy corner and talked and drank and had a really good time.

 

 

Four hours and countless cocktails (well, maybe 4 or 5) later...

 

 

Josh and Ava stayed over in the corner until everyone cleared out.  She was pass the point of good judgement and the more she drank, the better or should she say sexier Josh looked.  It's been about eighteen months since she's had sex and the need increases with each drink.  Truth be told, they were both long overdue for some type of sensual stimulation.  Ava, led by the liquor mind you, made a bold move.  She took her life (sex life that is) in her own hands and made a pass at Josh.  Walking over to where he sat, she bent over and began to nibble on his earlobe.

 

"Ava, what are you doing?"

 

"Well, I thought I'd give you something else to celebrate.  Mrs Winters told me you have a crush on me.  Is that true?"  she asked, moving from his earlobe to his neck, making his breathing pretty hard for him to do.

 

"Yes, yes it is.  How did she find out?  I thought I was pretty good at concealing my feelings.?"

 

"You know Mrs. Winters has a way of finding out everything going on in this building.  How long has this been going on?"

 

"About a year or so, I can't remember.  I've always found you attractive but I also knew you were married at the time.  I don't pursue unattainable women.  But that's not the case anymore is it?"  Josh asked absentmindedly; more focused on where her mouth was on his body than the words coming out of his mouth. She moved from his neck to his collarbone, removing everything that prevented her from getting to his delicious neck.  No other words were needed. 

 

 

The make out session they were having led them from the restaurant to the lobby, and from there to the elevator.  Seeing that they resided on the top floor, they had to go up 37 flights until they reached the intended floor.  By the time they got there however, they were both naked and he was hoisting her up and down the elevator wall.  The liquor clouded their judgement and caused them to have unprotected sex.  The rest is history.

 

End of Flashback...again.

 

 

Thinking back on that fateful night, she smiled to herself.  She's currently situated in her childhood bedroom, drinking hot chocolate with a heavy dose of marshmallows and whipped cream, in front of the built in fireplace while Josh sits on the floor in front of the flat screen, stringing popcorn for the Christmas tree.  The baby's been pretty restless all day. 

 

"Hey babygirl, what's got you so jumpy today?"  Josh turned in her direction with an amused look on his face.

 

"Could it have anything to do with the three cups of cocoa with a heavy dose of marshmallows in each cup?  You have been indulging just a bit today."  She throws a marshmallow in his direction.

 

"Haha, very funny.  I can't help it, my mom makes it from scratch. No matter how much I try to duplicate it, I can never get it quite right.  Josh, are your parents upset that your here with me?  It's Christmas Eve, you should be with them."

 

"You know, I told my mom the plan and though she was a little upset, she understands.  Life on the road has prepared her for this kinda thing.  When NSYNC was just starting in Europe, we were gone all the time.  We were just the little group that could back then.  After 'No Strings Attached', we were gone even more.  When we decided to take that hiatus, I got time to do all the things I missed out on.  She gets it, don't worry."

 

"Is she upset that we're still not in a relationship?"

 

"A little but honestly, so am I.  I want our daughter to grow up in a two parent home like we did."

 

"JC, that's not possible right now.  I'm not ready and I refuse to be in another loveless relationship.  You're not even in town most of the year and my entire life is in Baltimore.  I'm not ready to give up my business and uproot my life or career.  Your only here what, four times a year?  What kind of relationship would that be?"

 

"I would move back here if I have to.  I want to be a full presence in her life.  I deserve to be."

 

"I agree but what am I supposed to do?  Being in a relationship doesn't really change the fact that you're bi-coastal.  How about this?  What if after the baby's born, we come out and visit you in L.A. for a while.  If I like it enough, I'll think about buying a place there."  Ava finished grabbing her belly again.

 

"JC, I think...I think...I'm having contractions!"  Jumping up instantaneously, he rushes to her side.

 

"Has your water broken yet?"

 

"No, not yet.  I think you'd know."  She answered sarcastically.

 

"I"m not trying to upset you, just thought I'd ask.  Let's get you to the hospital.  Are your parents still at the mission?"

 

"Yeah, they're stuck.  No one's come around to plow the roads yet.  How are we supposed to get out of here?"  Ava asked, obviously in pain.  Josh left her side momentarily to look out the window. 

 

"It's cleared out here.  I guess living in the nicest neighborhood helps.  We can get out, are you ready?"

 

"Yeah, my mom packed a bag for me.  It's in the closet." Josh grabs the bag and carefully sets out to get them into the car as safely as possible.  JC started the car and gave the engine a chance to warm up.  Ava played with the knobs on the radio until a familiar tune started to play.  She smiled and turned up the volume as JC's former band mate's voice filtered through the vehicle.  Usually Josh changes the station when NSYNC comes on but today, he just smiled and sang along with her.  She even turned the radio down a bit when Josh's part came on.  She laughed and applauded when he finished his verses.  That was, until her water broke.

 

"Jace, I think I'm leaking.  Can we get there any faster?"

 

"I'm driving as fast as I can.  I would rush but it's still slippery out here.  It's just as important to get there safely as it is to get there quickly.  I told you something like this could happen...and you wanted me to stay home."  JC responds in a huff.

 

"We are sooo not having this conversation right now.  You're here and that's all that matters.  Now drive this damn thing!  Your baby is pressing against my bladder and the contractions are kicking my ass."

 

"I can't believe you're giving birth on Christmas Eve.  From St. Patrick's Day to Christmas, we've got ourselves an all out holiday baby."  Josh beamed with excitement. 

 

 

They finally got to the hospital but had to spend an additional five minutes trying to get the car and themselves to the proper area of the hospital.  They found what they were looking for and cautiously walked inside where the staff was expecting the young couple.  Immediately Ava was placed in a soft pink terry cloth robe with matching fuzzy slippers and was rolled off in one of the best looking wheelchairs Josh can ever remember seeing.

 

A male nurse took JC to the sanitation room to put on protective gear and to make sure he was sterilized.  Then, the two men walked a short distance to the birthing center.  Ava had a room to the left of the center, private of course.  Turns out, Ava's mom called ahead and set everything up just in case something like this happened.  The room was a serene bluish-green.  Large, warm, plush, mahogany leather chairs sat on either side of the luxury hospital bed.  Ava was currently in the middle of a pre-birth massage and relaxing breathing excercises. 

 

"Ava, I'm right over here if you need me."  Josh said, a sense of wonderment evident in his voice.  She mumbled her response before her breathing became harsh and heavy.  The nurse told her she was having another contraction but she hadn't dilated the full 10 centimeters needed to deliver the baby safely. 

 

"Just three more centimeters to go hon, you can do it."  The midwife said in a tone that seemed to calm both our nerves.  I moved around to hold her hand.

 

"Ava, is there anything you need me to do?  I've already called your parents and they're on their way."

 

"No, I just wanted to apologize.  I know I gave you a hard time and that this road hasn't been easy, but I couldn't have done it without you."

 

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

 

She gripped my hand so hard it made my knees buckle and the midwife informed us that it was time to push.  After about five minutes, we heard the softest cry...

 

Seven pounds, four ounces and twenty-two inches long, the special bundle of joy arrived at 11:58pm eastern time December 24th.

 

"Josh, I've pretty much made all of the decisions and you've been cooperative throughout everything.  Will you do the honor of naming our beautiful little girl?"

 

Holding his little girl in his arms, he looked into her eyes and a name came naturally.

 

"Welcome to the world Sophia Grace Chasez.  I'm your daddy.  I may not have it right in the beginning but I promise you I'll always be here when you need me.  I love you."

 

Ava looked on in amazement.  She didn't know it was possible to love someone for loving someone else.  She didn't know what the future held for the new family, but here in this moment, they were all she'd ever need.

 

"I love it.  Now give me our baby.  I want to feed her." 

 

Handing the baby back to her mother, Josh kissed Ava on her forehead and said...

 

"Merry Christmas Ava."

 

Smiling she replied,

 

"Merry Christmas Josh." 

 

 


Completed
Keediluv is the author of 22 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story