Ever since he made it big with the group, he's changed from the J I use to know. Like this one time we were at this restaurant and we ordered drinks. Well when Justin drank his he didn’t like how it tasted, so he told the waitress he didn't like it and she had to go get another drink for him. She came back and he muttered "About fucking time", which he didn't know I heard him, but I was pissed he was acting like a asshole when all she was doing was her job. I felt so bad for her and I couldn't believe he actually did that to her.

Oh and then there was another time some little girls were outside of the hotel the guys were staying at and Justin ignored them completely and I saw the look on their faces as they watch us walk away. I asked him why did he do that and he told me he had no time. The J I knew would always have time for anyone, no matter what.

I wasn't the only one who noticed the change in his behavior. The others noticed it too, I could tell by the worried looks on their faces. I could tell they were itching to talk to Justin about his sudden change in his behavior but he avoided it like the plague, giving an excuse to leave in the middle of their conversation.

JC was taking it the hardest out of all of them, which really didn't surprise me. After me, Justin said JC was his best friend; they talked about anything and everything. JC grew used to Justin constantly going to him for advice or just to talk, but now that Justin was ignoring him and the band he knew, deep down, that Justin's mind was on something else.

"He's just not focused," JC said as he paced the large stage, squeezing the water bottle in his hand so tight his knuckles turned white. "He won't even show up on time to sound check and he's the one who made the most mistakes yesterday."

"Maybe he's getting sick," Joey suggested. "I'll bet that's it. He loves *NSYNC, there would have to be a good reason for him to lose his focus like that." Joey Fatone, always the optimist.  Even I couldn't miss the hint of uncertainty in his voice as he tried to keep up his front.

"We don't need him yet, why don't we try out “The Game is Over” while we wait? No blocking, just singing." Joey smiled when JC nodded.

"Better than waiting for his sorry ass," JC muttered under his breath.

"Trace, could you try and find him?" Lance asked softly. "Before JC blows a blood vessel or something."

I nodded and lightly slapped his arm. "I'll bring J in." Lance nodded and I walked quickly out of the room, pulling my cell phone out of my pocket and pressing 3 on my speed dial.

 "What?" Justin snapped on the other end.

"Justin! You were supposed to be here an hour ago! They're waiting on you for sound check!" I heard him groan as if he had just looked at the clock.

"Oh man. Look, can you stall 'em while I get there?"

"I don't know-" I started.

"Trace, please!"

"Ok, ok. Just get your ass here."

"Thanks man, I owe you one."

I let out a sigh and put my phone in my pocket. He wants me to stall them and as upset I am at him right now, I'm gonna save his ass this time. But he better not do this diva shit again! I go back to where the guys were waiting.

"So is he on his way?" JC asked.

"Yeah, but the car had a flat tire so they had to go and fix it," I tell them as they looked at me.

"Oh okay, well we'll just have to start without him then," Joey says and a huge relief goes through me. Justin so owes me his life now. They start to sing as I watch them; I can't feel but nervous for Justin for when he has to tell them his news. I hope to god they will understand how much he wants this. They all know he has the drive to make it in the music industry, so they shouldn't be surprised he wants to do the solo thing. Right as the finished "Pop" the door opens. While the others muttered something like "It's about time you got here" JC stayed quiet, keeping his eyes on Justin as he slowly paced the stage.

"Sorry guys, I overslept," Justin said as he rubbed his head.

"While he waited for the car to get fixed," I quickly added. Lance, Joey, and Chris nodded while Justin gave me a confused look. I stared hard at him and squinted a bit, letting him know to play along. Justin nodded and smiled a little before turning to the guys, mainly JC.

 "So, um, can we finish sound check? I know it's practically over but..." he let his voice trail off as JC stopped walking and crossed his arms over his chest. Justin looked up at his friend and bit his lip, waiting for his reaction. This had to be the first time I've ever really seen Justin when he was afraid, aside from when he got in trouble with Ms. Lynn when we were younger. It made me so nervous I couldn't even look at him.

"Yeah," JC finally decided, turning his head away from the young boy. "But if you make a mistake-"

"I won't," Justin interrupted. He practically lived to please JC. I swear it was an unhealthy habit.

They all finished practice and started to head out. I noticed Justin didn't move.

"You comin’ J?" Joey asked as he saw Justin standing there still.

"You know what, I gonna practice some more since I missed most of soundcheck. Gotta make sure it’s perfect." All the guys knew he was a perfectionist, so it wouldn’t be strange for him to stay back, but I knew it was something else.

"Alright, just remember we leave for the hotel in an hour."

"I'll stay with him," I say as I approach them.

"Okay see you guys later."

We nod our heads and watch him leave. As soon as the door shuts I spoke, "What the hell Justin?" I say in outrage.

"What?" he says innocently as he started to stretch his arms.

"You made me lie to them. Where were you?" He sighs and closes his eyes,

"Trace."

"Don't Trace me J, where the hell where you?" I demanded.

"I was in a meeting with some producers okay!!" he spat. "For my album" he says lowly not making eye contact. I was surprised at his confession, I knew he wanted to do an album, but I didn't know he was planning it already.

“So you’re really gonna do it huh?"

"Yeah I guess I am" he says nervously running his neck. "I thought about what you said and you were right, I should do what I think is right" he looks up at me.

I smile, "I'm proud of you J"

He smiles, "Thanks man. You’re a good friend you know that"

I chuckle, "I am the best there is" He laughs. We sit down on the edge of the stage. "So who are the producers?" I ask.

"You know that group 'The Neptunes' "

"Yeah, their shit is off the hook."

"I know, so I just had a meeting with them and they said they'd be glad to produce my album."

“Wow J, that's great. Your album is definitely gonna be the shit of the decade"

He makes a face. "Woah let’s not get ahead if ourselves here, I still gotta long way to go still" he laughs.

I laugh as well, "Sorry I got excited"

"I'm excited too," Justin admitted. "I even have a few songs that I wrote that I’d like to try to get on the album," he continued, jumping off of the stage and landing next to me. He frowned a bit. "I don't like that I'm only sharing my excitement with you," he mumbled.

"It's your choice J," I pointed out.

"I know, I know," he said in a dismissive tone.

As we headed back to the hotel Justin shuffled by my side, keeping his eyes to the ground. He suddenly lifted his head and spoke. "Things are getting crazy," he stated. "I don't have time to do anything normal anymore. Hell, I barely have time to catch my momma when she's calling." I nodded but was suspicious. What does any of this have to do with me? "So, I was hoping maybe you'd like to help me out?" Justin asked, looking at me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you could direct any calls I get and help me get some shoes so I don't get mobbed and stuff."

"You want me to do your shopping?" I demanded, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. He stopped and looked back at me. Doing his personal work? That's where I draw the line.

"No, I mean be my personal assistant. I could really use the help. I swear I'm going to go crazy trying to balance everything. And we can spend a lot of time together 'cause you'd have to travel with me."

Hmm… he's making a good point. As much as I love school (NOT) his offer sounds tempting. I mean getting to travel with my best friend all over the world sounds better than school any day. The only thing is that I have to break the news to my momma and daddy, who pushed me to go to college in the first place. But they'll get over it eventually…I hope. I look at him, "I'll do it, just one question."

"What's that man?"

"I do get paid for this right?"

He chuckles, "Yes Trace you will get paid."

"Great, guess you can call me your assistant now." I smile.

"Thanks man.” He sighs. “I really need the help but I'm telling you now, it's not gonna be fun all the time, you actually have to do work."

"J, you can count on me. I won't let you down boss," I say with an assuring smile.

"You better not because if you do your ass is fired you hear me Ayala?"

"Got it" I nod. We go backstage to join the rest of the group.

"Wow, I still can't believe it was your idea to wear this getup," I commented when I looked at the 'punk' styled clothing that JC was wearing.

"I like what I'm wearing," he said in a defensive tone as he looked down at the green outfit.

"I always thought he was the more...eccentric one," I muttered under my breath as I passed Justin. He chuckled a bit and pulled a shoe on.

"Oh, guys," he spoke up. "I hired Trace as my personal assistant so he's going to finish up the tour with us." Joey and Lance shared a look while JC remained silent. Chris was the only one who was smiling. Did I do something to them? I always thought we were on pretty good terms.

"Cool, does that mean I can send him out to get me anything I want?" Chris asked.

"Chris, I said he was MY personal assistant. If you want a slave, ask JC," Justin said in a teasing tone as he grinned at the mentioned boy.

"Nah, I'd rather have Joey. JC's too vocal with his thoughts," Chris said with a wave of his hand. JC smiled a bit as he shook his head and chuckled. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding and laughed along with everyone else.

As Joey, Chris, Lance, and Justin went around teasing each other JC pulled me aside. "Hey man, do you think you could do me a favor?" He asked.

"Sure. What's up?"

"It's J," he replied after a few seconds of silence. "I feel like there's something wrong with him. Well, not wrong, but there's something on his mind that's messing with his focus. I try to get it out of him but he keeps changing the subject. I was hoping you could get something out of him? Just to make me rest my mind. I'm kidna worried."

I could feel my lip twitching a bit. Man, karma was a bitch. Wait, was this even karma? This is what I get for not paying attention in school. "Sure man, I'll tell you anything I find out," I replied.

As he walks away I just stand there. Shit now what am I gonna do? I can't tell anyone about whets going on especially JC now, that’s up to Justin to do that.

"Trace!!" I hear Justin yell. I go over to him on the other side of the room,

"Yeah J?"

"Can you go get me a water bottle?" he asks as he looks at his wardrobe.

"Can't you get it yourself?" I ask.

He chuckles, "I'm busy Trace, that's why I hired you remember. To help me out.”

He's right, well I better get used to this. "Okay." I nod.

"Thanks man."

I walk out to the catering table to find water. I find it and head back as I near the corner I could hear Lance and Joey talking and stopped.

"You know what's going on with J lately?" Joey asked.

"Have no idea man, he’s not definitely acting like himself," Lace says. Shit this isn't good. "Maybe he and Brit are going through something."

"Yeah maybe, he has seemed a bit more cranky than usual," Joey suggests.

Lance chuckles, "Definitely."

Whew that was close. They head in and I let out a sigh. They all know something’s going on, well except for Chris but JC, Joey and Lance are good enough. I have to tell Justin about this.

"Ok guys, ten minutes until show," a stagehand called from the hallway.

"J, hold on a second," I said to him as the other guys left the room.

"What's up?" He asked, a grin on his face, the grin that always came onto his face when he was about to do something he loved, something that gave him energy. It was the same smile that always stopped me from being able to tell him something important, like now. He sure knew how to work that smile.

Uhhh...just have a good show, man," I replied, forcing a smile. It was obvious that J didn't catch it because he grinned, slapped my arm lightly and said,

"Thanks. See you when it's over," and rushed out of the room.

I grabbed my head when I felt a headache coming on. Searching around the room I spotted a bottle of beer sitting on top of a cooler. No doubt Joey's. The guys don't get hammered before a show but Joey likes to take little sips, but not enough to mess up the energy he needs. I grabbed the unopened bottle, pried off the top, and took a long gulp, letting out a satisfied breath when I felt the drink slide down my throat.

This was going to be a long night.

Chapter End Notes:
Trace is in quite a predicament. Please read and review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant soloj brotherlylove celebritysync postsync