"Trace, buddy, wake up." The next thing I knew I was being jostled around as Justin continued yelling in my ear. I grabbed my pillow and forced it down over my head to try and block him out. He just yanked it out of my hands and beat me over the head with it until I sat up and glared at him.

"What?" I demanded, pushing myself into a kneeling position, well as much as I could in the bunk area.

Get yer ass outta bed. We gotta talk about CFTC." Justin slapped the side of my bunk before pulling the curtains closed. I rubbed my eye.

CFTC, Challenge for the Children for those of you who don't know. This year would be their third time hosting it and from what I've heard and the pictures I've seen it looks like a lot of fun and they're always able to donate a lot of money to different charities. I forced myself to wake up and slid out of my bunk. I was too tired to put any pants over my boxers and shuffled to the front of the bus where the others were spread around.

"Take note, we need to write down the people we want to ask to play," Justin said as he shoved paper and a pen into my hands as soon as i sat down on the couch.

"Mhm," I mumbled sleepily.

"We have to bring Brit back," Justin started. None of them challenged his decision. "We have to ask Christina if she can play, too."

"Can we bring in Beverly? She's been wondering when we'd have another game," Lance spoke up.

"Don't forget about..."

I tuned them out only paying close enough attention to jot down people's names, knowing that I'd have to call them soon and get a definite yes or a no. "Ok, any ticket reservations?" I asked after turning to a blank page and holding my pen ready in case they shouted out names again. After they shouted out names, my hand was cramping from all the writing I did. The list was huge, this was definitely going to be the event of the year. Now I have to make all kinds of phone calls and get started looking at sponsors and venues for the after party. Later that afternoon I start making some phone calls and luckily half the people on the list said they would do it, which made my job way easier. I hear a knock. "Yeah" I call out as I turn away from the phone talking to Brian Mcknight’s publicist. I see Justin get in and lay next to me while I'm sitting Indian style on my bed. "Okay, yeah on Saturday the 25...yeah I'll tell them, thank you and tell him the guys will see him then...alright bye." I hang up the phone and sigh. I turn to Justin, "Brian Mcknight is official."

Justin chuckles, "That man never does disappoint when it comes to wanting to beat me". I laugh. "So what we got so far?"

I look at my list, "Well let’s see...Brian, Shannon, Don, Christina, Usher, Beverly...." I go on with my list and Justin nods. "That's it so far," I sigh as I put my pen behind my ear.

"Wow Trace that's pretty impressive man, great job."

"Thanks it wasn't easy, do you know how many people I had to get through to answer?" I laugh.

"Yeah, it gets complicated, but you’re doing better than I thought you would," he chuckles.

"Hey!" I exclaim.

"Not that I never thought you couldn’t, it’s just that the last assistants I had broke under pressure and couldn't take it," he laughs.

"Well there not me I never disappoint." I grin.

"The fact that the only thing they were expecting was to get into J's pants didn't help much either," Chris commented as he walked by. I looked at Justin and he smiled sheepishly.

"I can't help that most of my assistants were fine," he shrugged. I grabbed my pillow and lightly hit him in the face. He chuckled and grabbed the pillow before letting out a slow breath through his nose. "Thank you," he said suddenly. I looked up from my clipboard.

"For what?" I asked.

"For sticking with me. When MMC got canceled, when I first joined Nsync, through our financial troubles, when we broke a record. You helped me keep my head leveled and you never gave up on me and I thank you for that." I merely shrugged. "No really, man. You're-"

"Although I know it do NOT say I'm the best again. You’re starting to get on my nerves." He smiled. “Not get out of here so I can finish calling all of these people since you all just HAD to invite everyone on the fucking planet," I grumbled.

"You can take two of those names off of that list. JC and Lance are calling their girlfriends themselves."

"That makes my job slightly easier," I muttered, scratching off their names.

"Are they playing or watching?"

"Why would they play?" Justin question.

I shrugged. "You could get them anywhere they want to go, I was just asking."

"Alright man, well I'll leave you to it,” he smiles. He leaves and I dial another number. After two hours more on the phone I'm finally done with the list, which only leaves everything else I have to do before then.

God help me.

I go meet up with the guys inside where they have soundcheck. I watch them for a bit before they call for a break. I head up to the stage, "Looking good guys," I say.

"Thanks we try." JC laughs.

"So how it'd go?" Justin asked.

"Great, looks like everyone you guys wanted will be there." I smile.

"Awesome, Trace you are the man!" Joey says.

"What can I say I never disappoint." I shrug.

Justin puts an arm around me, "See now this is why your my friend, I knew I could count on you.”

"Thanks man, but I'm not done yet I still have a lot of shit to do before then."

"You'll be fine," Lance assures me.

Now I'm feeling the pressure, I can't let them down now. "Well, I gotta check on some other stuff. Don't strain your voices or anything," I said as I turned to leave the big open area. As soon as I got into a hallway. I whipped out my phone and pressed a speed-dial number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Momma," I greeted her, taking off my cap and running a hand through my hair.

"Juan! How are you doing? How's Justin? Are you having fun?" She asked.

"I'm great, Momma. Justin's fine. The tour's fun." I sighed. "Momma, there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" She asked, worry creeping into her voice. "Did you get a girl pregnant?"

"What? No!" I cried out. Geeze, what is with people automatically assuming that I got someone pregnant? Geeze? I like chicks but I wouldn't be stupid enough to get one pregnant. I wouldn't want to be attached when I didn't have to. "No, it's something else."

'What is it honey?" I sighed again.

"Momma, I...I'm not going back to school." I bit my lip as I waited for her to say something.

"What do you mean, son?"

"Justin...he's having a bit of trouble with something and he needs me with him. He even hired me as his personal assistant so we can work together and this is the only way I can help him."

"But Trace-"

"Ma, I've all ready made up my mind." I sighed again.

"Can you...can you tell dad for me?"

"You should tell him yourself."

"He wouldn't understand, Ma. He just wouldn't."

There was a pause and I bite my lip waiting for her to respond. She sighs, "Alright"

Yes!

"But I'll only mention it to him."

Shit.

"But Ma--"

"No buts, you have to explain this to him, let him know you want to do this."

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh, "I guess your right."

"Look sweetheart me and your dad love you and we will support you in anything you do no matter what."

I smile, "Thanks momma, I love you too."

"Anything for you Juanito."

I groaned as I heard my nickname, "Momma" I whined.

She giggles, "Oh now you don't like your nickname, you've had it since you were little."

"Yeah Ma I know but I'm grown now."

"Right you have grown up into a wonderful man, I'm so proud of you!" I can hear her voice crack, she's crying.

“Aww momma don't cry, I like my nickname, just don't cry."

She sniffles and laughs, "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't." She laughs again, "Okay I'll stop, so how is you new job?"

"It's great, but I have to do all this running around and get things for Justin that I have blisters.”

"Well you’re a hardworker, you can handle this."

"Trace come on!" I turn my head to see Justin. I turn my head away from the phone, "Alright, I'm coming," I shout back. I turn back to the phone, "Momma I gotta go, I'll call you soon."

"Okay mijo bye and be careful and tell the guys I said hello."

"Sure I will Momma love you."

"Love you too, Juanito."

"Bye," I hang up the phone and head to where the guys were.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's time to head in for another sound check," Lance replied, standing and stretching. I nodded and followed them. They immediately navigated their way to the stage as i went to the backstage area in search for something to eat or drink.

"God, is this the only thing they have?" I asked Mike who followed me into the lounge area. The guys had at least one of their bodyguards with me because the fans were beginning to recognize me as J's friend and they said that I need as much protection as I can get, which was true.

"They don't really drink anything besides water and some fruit juice," Mike replied.

No soda either? Man!" I closed the door to the mini fridge. "I need something stronger than fruit juice."

"I can run out and get you something if you want it so bad," Mike said with a chuckle. "Besides, Justin's probably going to run you like a dog so its best if you stay here anyway."

"Ok, get me a root beer or a normal beer, whichever one you pass first," I replied. Mike raised his eyebrows. "What?" I demanded.

"Don't you think it's a little too early for beer?" he questioned.

"With Justin making me run around, I'm going to need it."

He shrugged, "Alright man, if you say so."

"Thanks Mike" I smile. I start making some more calls for sponsors for the game. "Yes it's for *Nsync's Challenge for the Children basket ball game...it has raised over 2 million dollars to help children hospitals all over the country and we are hoping to raise more this year with your help and not to mention the advertising of all the celebrities wearing your gear...You'll really?...Thank you so much sir it means so much you will help us...Is that right?” I laugh. “...Of course I can...once again thank you, you have a good day sir...bye" I hang up the phone and sigh.

I am on a roll.

I feel a pat on my shoulder and turn to see Justin, "Hey man."

"Hey J." I say as I write down in my notebook. He goes over to the refrigerator takes out a bottle of water.

"I see your hard at work," he says before taking a swig of his water and laying on the couch and lets out a sigh.

"Yeah, I just got off the phone with a sponsor and your welcome.”

"No shit whoddya get?"

"Nike."

"Nike as in the shoes?"

I can’t help but laugh at his expression, "Yes that Nike."

"How did you manage to get them?"

"Well I just explained to a representative that CFTC has raised a lot of money for children hospitals and all the advertising they’d get and it didn't hurt that his daughter is a fan too, so I told him we'd fly her out here to watch the game."

Justin smiles, "You my man are awesome, good work.”

"I am a genius."

Justin laughs, "I'm not calling you that."

"You know I'm a genius, you just won't admit it." I smirk.

"If your head is going to get big I'm not admitting nothing," Justin replied, chuckling. "Hey, do we get to keep the shoes?"

I shrugged. "What’s it matter anyway? You probably own every shoe they've come out with and then some."

"Hey, it's free shoes. Emphasis on the FREE part," he pointed out.

"Justin, people are throwing free things at you all of the time. I'm surprised you even ask what's free and what's not. Hell, i'm surprised you haven't turned into a material boy."

The smile faded from Justin's face. "Don't even joke about that, man! You know I'm not like that."

I held up my hands. "Ok, geeze, I was just kidding. No need to bust a blood vessel."

Justin grunted. "I could easily say the same about you and your drinking."

I frowned. "What's wrong with my drinking? I know when I've hit my limits."

"Not that." Justin shook his head. "It seems to me that every time you get a headache beer is your choice of a painkiller. You're worrying me, is everything ok? Do you need to talk about something?" Justin's blue eyes bore into my face as I scoffed.

"It's not every time I get a headache and I don't have a problem," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Ok." I could tell by his tone that he wasn't thoroughly convinced but as long as he didn't ask me about it anymore I was fine.

After a few more hours of soundcheck we head back to the hotel to relax before going to the concert. I head up to my room when my phone goes off. "Hello?"

"Hey is this Trace?" A female voice asked.

"Yeah this is him, who is this?"

"It's Taylor James, we have a class together." I cannot believe this, is this another dream? "Hello?" she asks and I snap out of my trance.

"Oh yeah h-hi Taylor, how are you?"

"I'm good and yourself?"

"I'm doing pretty good, I notice you haven’t been in class lately."

"Oh uh yeah, some things have come up so..."

"Well class isn't the same without you."

"Re-really?” I squeaked as I tried to clear my throat.

She giggled, "Yeah."

"Can I ask how you got my number?"

"Oh um, Brett gave it to me." Brett is one of my good buddies at school and now he is my savor.

"Oh."

"Is that okay that I called?" she asked hesitantly.

It's more than okay. "Yeah definitely."

"Okay good 'cause I was kinda nervous you didn't want to talk to me."

 "What? why'd you think that?"

"Well you've kinda been ignoring me lately.”

Okay so maybe I have but it's only because I wanna make sure I don't act like an idiot around her. "I'm sorry, I just I don't know--I don't want to act like an idiot around you." I blushed at my confession.

She giggles, "Aww Trace you are too cute."

"You really think I'm cute?"

"Yeah and I was hoping that maybe you'd like to you know.. hang out sometime?"

I made a face. "Ummm, I'd like to, really i do, but it'll be kinda hard to do that," I said as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Oh? Why?"

Good, she sounded more curious than angry. "Well, I'm kinda out of the state right now," I replied.

"Really? Well, that explains why I haven’t seen you around a bit. We can hang out when you get back."

"Well, um, that's the thing, i'm not coming back," I admitted. "I mean I will eventually, but I've dropped out."

"Trace, why?"

Whoa, was she really that concerned about me? And here I thought she didn't know I existed. "I'm..." I couldn't tell her about Justin, not yet. I know she's a huge Nsync fan. "I'm helping out a friend. He really needs me right now and I can't bail on him."

"Don't worry I get it. Maybe some other time."  I

 gotta stop her from hanging up. "Uhhhh, wait!"

"Yeah?"

"Um, can we hang out if I get you tickets to an Nsync show?" It was silent on the other end. "Taylor? Are you still there?'

"Yeah, I'm still here," she replied. "Can you really get me tickets to a show?'

"Yeah, I can. I know some people who know some people who know some people." "

Oh my gosh, Trace you're the best!"

"I try," I laughed. "I'll call you back once i get the tickets, ok?"

"Ok, bye."

"Bye."

I hang up the phone and grin like fool, I can't believe this, the girl that I want actually likes me. Me! Now I just gotta handle her knowing I'm helping out Justin without her freaking out. I hear a knock at my door, "Yeah?" I call out. The door opens and I see Justin peek his head in, his eyes are closed, "Are you descent?"

 I roll my eyes, "Shut the fuck up and come in." I laugh.

"I'm just checkin, don't wanna come in and see something I don't wanna see." He sits next to me on the couch.

"Fuck you dude."

He looks at me, "Well we sure look happy" he points out.

"What makes you say that?"

"You’re grinning, wait did you just...."

"No you perv!" I say as I smack him in the arm.

 "Ow..lighten up, I was just kidding." he says rubbing his arm.

"You deserved it.”

"So why you grinin'?"

"God your nosey!" I roll my eyes and sigh. "I just got off the phone with someone."

"Who?" he says curiously and I start to smile. His face changed, "No way, she called you?" I nod. "Man that’s great, what she say?"

"She asked me why I wasn't at school and she missed seeing me." I grin leaning back.

"Oh reeaally" he says arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah and she said she wanted to know if we could hang out."

"What'd you tell her?"

"That I was helping a friend out so I couldn't"

"What? dude why'd you say that?" he says outraged. "This is your chance and you just blew it..."

I laugh, "Woah, J, calm down, I was going to ask you if you could help me get tickets to a show, I told her I could get her some."

He grins, "Oh smooth move man, sure I can get you some tickets."

I smile, "Great thanks man, I owe you."

"Nah man it's nothin' really. Glad to help out. I just have to warn you about a few things.” I lifted an eyebrow. "We can easily get her backstage stuff so she can come in before the show, but don't tell anyone else. We don't want fans swarming around. Don't leave her alone 'cause she'll get lost. It's easy as fuck to get lost in these stadiums. Don't get followed by fans, try to stay inconspicuous. And the last but final one, don't be stupid."

I hit him with a pillow. "I'm not the stupid one in this friendship."

"You can be when you're around a chick. You either say something stupid that ruins your chances or you do something stupid. In this case, the most stupid thing you can do is leave her alone with one of the others. Trust me; they'll swarm her like bees."

"They really need girlfriends," I said, laughing.

"Joey's fine, he's with Kelly still. It's more of Chris I'm worried about. Lance knows how to respect a lady.”

"And I do too," I pointed out. "Don't forget where I was raised. We Southerners are born knowing to treat women right."

"Yes, but sometimes you have a lapse in judgment," he pointed out as he stood. "We're going to eat and then leave in about a half hour, ok."

"Ok."

Chapter End Notes:
Ooooh, Justin's getting supicious. And Trace is head-over-heels for Taylor! Please read and review.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant soloj brotherlylove celebritysync postsync