"Ughhhh" I groaned as I rolled to the other side of my bed before lifting my body up. I had the WORST headache in the world. I could hear Advils calling my name.

"Good morning Lily. Or should I say Good Afternoon?" I heard as I noticed a smiling Justin walk into the room. 

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"About 12:30. How'd you sleep Lily?"

"Fine I guess. Why do you keep calling me Lily?" I asked, wondering where his sudden nickname came from. 

"Well last night, after we danced you sorta...had a bit too much to drink. On the way home you went on and on about how you thought the Lilies I brought for Kylie were so beautiful and how they're your favorite flower because you always remember your mom smelling like sweet lilies when you are a kid, blah blah" He laughed, I slapped my hand to my head.

"Oh gosh, I gave you my whole life story didn't I?" I asked a bit embarrassed. 

"Just a tad of it" He said with a chuckle. "I didn't mind though Lily, you were interesting" 

"Don't call me that"

"What? Lily? Or interesting?" He asked sarcastically with a smirk. 

"Where's Kylie?" I asked completely ignoring his question. 

"She went out for a run"

"Gosh, why does she keep leaving us alone like this? It's like a secret plot to get us to like eachother or something" I asked while getting up to go to the bathroom. 

"Yeah and it's totally unnecessary"

"Why you say that?"

"Because...I already like you" Justin said with a cheese smile. I rolled my eyes and continued onto the bathroom.Inside I tried to remember just WHY I thought Justin would kiss me. He's my best friend's boyfriend for goodness sakes. I tried my best to shake the thought from my head and continued brushing my teeth. After washing up I walked out to find Justin flipping through the tv. "Wanna watch a movie?" I shrugged and took a seat next to him on the couch. 

"Let's watch Taken" I demanded. 

"Whatever the lady wants" He joked. I stared at the tv as the movie began. When it was over, it was oddly quiet, until Justin began. "Kylie told me you write"

"Huh?"

"You write. You know..take a pen and paper and put words together?" I scoffed. 

"I do. Short stories and poems" I began. "Why you bring that up?" 

"No reason. I mean maybe I would like to read some of them one day" He said honestly. 

"I don't think you wanna do that"

"Why not?"

"Because I suck" I laughed. 

"Oh come on. From what Kylie says, you're really good" 

"Justin, she's my best friend, of course she's gonna say that. She's supposed to" I said while folding my legs pretzel-style. I met eye to eye with him and he smiled.

"Well then let me judge for myself" He blurted. 

"No"

"Come on" He pleaded. I shook my head. 

"Not happening"

"Why not?" 

"Because...I suck"

"I bet you don't suck Lily. Let me just read one. Just one"

"What did I tell you about calling me that?" 

"Nothing, you never really made it clear to me" He's right, I didn't. 

"Ugh, Justin"

"Just one" I stared at him before getting up to go to my dresser. I pulled out my notebook of poems staring at it before turning around. I never let anyone read my work before. Only Kylie and that was only because she threatened to kick me out if I didn't. I don't know why of all people I'd let Justin be the only other person to read. He just seemed...honest. I stopped thinking and handed him the notebook as he opened it eagerly. I sat back down..not making eye contact or watching him as he read. I stared blankly at the tv waiting for him to finish. 

"Lily, this is beautiful" I heard him say. Inside I was doing cartwheels at the thought of someone genuinely liking my work. 

"Thank you. Which poem is that?"

"Almost There" He said. I personally believe that's my best poem. "Who is it about?"

"My parents. They're divorced now. My father cheated on my mom ridiculously. It screwed all of us up. Especially when he--" WOAH! AMBER STOP TALKING! I yelled to myself. His eyes searched mine, waiting for me to continue. 

"Especially when he what Lily?" I took a deep breath. I felt my eyes get teary. Thoughts of that day crowded my mind. The day my father beat my mother. Me and my sister Casey watched it all happen. I just...try not to think back to it. I was so horrified by that and it always brought me to tears. Only Kylie knows what happened that night. And here I was about to tell Justin. "Lily" He called, snapping me out of my daze. "What happened?"

I stared back at him, a tear already streaming down my cheek. "Um..when he beat my mother...in front of me and my sister. When I tried to convince her to leave him, she...she sent me away to live with my aunt " I said. He swallowed and came over to give me a hug. I finally let it out. I cried so hard on his shoulder it was unbelievable. I knew my father had hit my mother before then. But to finally see it was too much for me to bare. He rubbed my back and consoled me with several "It'll be okay"'s. He ran his fingers through my hair and brought my face up to his. 

"You're not alone Lily" He said. 

"I never thought I was alone Justin" I scoffed. 

"Lily, drop the toughness act for once please" He said strictly. My eyes widened."Let someone be there for you" I sniffled, staring back into his eyes. I felt butterflies in my stomach. We were so close once again. I wanted to let him in. But something just didn't let me.  

"I can't" I bit my lip. He wiped my tear with his thumb. I took a few short breaths when I heard the key in the door lock. Justin let me go and turned towards the tv. 

"What's up guys?" Kylie said all sweaty and hyper. She noticed my heavy eyes and Justin's somber tone. "What happened?" 

"Nothing" I said before going to the bathroom. To tell you the truth I don't really know what happened. Justin holding me that close just introduced me to so many things. I couldn't feel this way. I couldn't do this. I heard Kylie questioning Justin about why I was crying. I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. No one had ever openly told me to let them in. I was a wreck. I started the shower and let the water wash away all of these feelings.

 -----
"Amber..can I talk to you for a second?" Kylie came over to me. I stopped from folding clothes and sat down with her at the table. 

"What's up?"

"It's Justin...he's been acting a little weird lately" I felt my body tense up. Was I that obvious.

"Wha-What do you mean?" 

"Like...I don't know. He's not as open as he was before" My eyes shifted from the floor to Kylie what must've been about a thousand times. 

"Well maybe he's just a little stressed or something?" 

"Maybe...do you think he's...seeing someone?" I took a deep breath. 

"What? No. Never Kye, how could you think that?"

"I don't know. I'm being stupid. Forget it" She said before getting up. I continued folding the clothes. 

"I'm glad you're liking him now" She said with a genuine smile. 

"What? Who?"

"Justin. You guys have been clicking a lot lately. I like it" She said before walking away. We have been clicking lately. And I do like him. Maybe a little bit more than I should...


Time can never mend

The careless whisper of a good friend

To the heart and mind

Ignorance is kind

There's no comfort in the truth

Pain is all you'll find...

Chapter End Notes:
Please review! It's moving slowly now but we'll get to the good stuff soon! Lol


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: otherwoman justin