Author's Chapter Notes:

thanks to my super special friend, KATE (who is beyond great if you want my thoughts on that) for being my sounding board but fyi, i totally changed my mind on this! lol  you love me too

also, ADD is contagious. trust me.

"Excuse me?"

I pretend not to hear the voice to my left and keep my eyes trained at the painting in front of me.

"Excuse me? But I'm looking for..." He huffs and I glance out the corner of my eye and see him run his hands over his head in frustration. "Le fait....de chercher um, shit, um les bathroom?"

I bite my lip to keep from laughing. The pure look of bewilderment and helplessness is enough for me to gather that he's not only not from this country but he hardly speaks the native language, English.

"Son of-" He mutters and I turn to him fully. "I'm really sorry...but bathroom?"

"Down the hall and to the right." I point over his shoulder.

"Oh thank God. You speak English." He lets out a sigh of relief.

"I do."

He turns and looks over his shoulder. "To the right?"

I nod and he turns, "Thank you."

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

 "Hey."

I turn to see the same blue eyed guy from earlier standing in front of me, only this time those blue eyes are covered with a pair of sunglasses.

"Hi."

"Thanks again for helping me out in there." He grins. "Clearly I should have studied a little more in French class."

"It might have been a little helpful." I slide my own sunglasses on. "Well I guess I'll see you."

I turn to walk down the sidewalk and enjoy a perfect Indian summer day. Probably the last one of the year.

"Wait!" I hear him call behind me and the slapping of his feet as he jogs to catch up to me. "Where...where are you going?"

"Coffee. I need coffee if I'm going to make it through the rest of the day." I sneak a look at him from the corner of my eyes and he's got his craned to look behind him. "You better watch where you're walking or you're going to trip. Cobblestone."

"Shit." He mutters under his breath. "Thank."

We walk in silence and I'm wondering why the hell he's coming with me. I don't know this guy from Adam and yet here he is, walking with me like we're bosom buddies.

"So coffee huh?" He finally speaks. "Like at one of those real Parisian cafes?"

My eyebrows rise in slight shock and I try to stop the grin that I can feel threatening. "As opposed to an imaginary café? Where coffee is served by talking dogs or something? Maybe a hookah smoking caterpillar is sitting at one of the tables just hanging out and reading?"

"Hookah smoking caterpillar?" He stops walking.

"Have you not seen Alice in Wonderland?" I turn to face him. He's standing there looking very deep in thought and it makes me giggle. The poor guy is completely clueless and utterly adorable.

"The white rabbit?" He questions, his head cocks to the side a little.

I'm not sure if he's pulling my leg or not but either way I find it a little charming. "You had a very sad childhood if you do not know what Alice in Wonderland is."

He laughs as we start walking again. "I'm just picturing this tiny little café with people chain smoking and reading or talking about one of the great novels."

"Great novels?" I point to a street on the left and we make the turn onto the narrow street. "What do you picture them talking about?"

"You know? Gatsby or Lolita something by that Hemingway guy." He shrugs.

"That Hemingway guy?" I exclaim. "Did you just say that Hemingway guy?"

"Look, I'm not a complete moron." He chuckles. "I've read ‘The sun also rises', I'm down."

The more time I spend with this guy the more and more I'm finding the charm to be not only adorable but just slightly confusing. I can't tell if he's messing with me or not. If he thinks I'm just some French chick he can scam on he's got another thing coming.

Shaking my head, "You are a very strange guy."

"I've heard worse." He grins.

"In there." I motion towards a door and he opens it for me. "Merci." I watch him as he seems to struggle to understand what I just said.

"You're welcome." He smiles at me as we walk to a table in the back corner.

Once we settle at the table and place our order with the barista he leans back in the chair and slides the sunglasses to the top of his head. "You thought I didn't know what that meant."

I smirk and remove my own sunglasses and place them on the table in front of me. "There was a small chance you didn't."

"There's a small chance I don't know a lot of things." He gives me a mischievous smile and wink.

"Alright strange man, why did you decide to follow me here?" I prop my chin up on my hand. "There has to be a reason why you picked me out of all those people in the museum."

He shrugs. "Simple. You have a funny little headband on."

Without thinking I reach up and sure enough I have my headband on with the big flower on it. "So the headband huh? You like that."

"Oh more than you'll even know." He wiggles his eyebrows lewdly. "It was a major turn on. Seeing you standing there with that big red flower on the side of your head. Does it for me every time."

I loud laugh escapes my lips. "You sir, really are very, very strange."

"I got a laugh out of you though."

"That you did." I counter. "Or it could be your attempt at speaking French."

"Hey now. Don't hate. I jumped on a plane and flew over here with nothing but the bag I packed and my passport. The language was not really my high on my list of concerns."

My mind jars. "You just packed bag and jumped on a plane?"

"Yep. Figured what the hell? If I didn't do it now, I was never going to do it."

"That's pretty ballsy."

"I'm a ballsy guy." He grins and I return it. "Besides I've always wanted to see Europe."

"And your thoughts so far?"

"It's nice. I've been here a few days and now that I'm adjusted to the time change I'm out checking everything out." He stops when our coffee is set in front of us. "So tell me, what should I see before I leave?"

"Oh God. Everything." I sit back in the chair. "The Fortainebleau Castle, Versailles, Pere-Lachaise, um, you have to see Notre-Dame."

"Consider them all seen."

"How many days are you here?"

"Until the money runs out." He pauses. "Well until I have enough money to just buy a plane ticket home."

This guy is a complete mystery to me. He comes off as come goofy and clueless guy yet money doesn't seem to be an issue for him. He just packed his stuff and boarded a plane. No responsibilities, nothing holding him back.

"So....." He sets his coffee mug down and looks at me. "Where to next?"

Choking out a laugh, "What makes you think there's a where to next?"

"The same reason I knew to ask you about the bathroom."

"Right. The headband."

"That's right. The red flower headband." He grins at me and I suddenly feel like this day is going to be nothing like I was expecting when I woke up.

Chapter End Notes:
hmmmm? interested? you know you are! lol


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story