Author's Chapter Notes:
look at me! updates out the ass this weekend/monday. that's what happens when you're snowed in and can't leave the house!

"So, Miss Hadley," He holds the door open again for me as we exit the café. "Tell me something that you wouldn't normally tell a stranger."

"Are we strangers anymore, Justin?" I question him right back. "I know your name. You know mine. We've just spent the last hour having coffee and talking. I'm not sure we qualify as ‘strangers' anymore."

"Ok, so let's go with acquaintances."

"Something I normally wouldn't tell a stranger." I mutter as I steer us in the direction of Notre Dame.

"Acquaintance." He corrects me with a grin.

"Sorry. Acquaintance. Well, I'm a big believer of fate."

"Most people are."

"No, I mean like, everything that happens to us in our daily lives. Every decision we make, every choice, it's all sorta pre-determined for us." I tell him. "This morning, I woke up, got ready as normal and was almost out the door when I saw my headband on the kitchen counter. I never leave it there but for some reason that's where it was. So instead of putting it away where it belongs, I put it on and leave my flat."

He gives me a questioning look. "I'm not following you."

"You said you came to talk to me because of the headband. Whether you were serious or not, that headband may have been the reason we met today." I shrug when he gives me a cynical look. "Don't believe me. Call me crazy. Whatever. But you asked."

"I'm not saying I don't believe you. It just seems a little farfetched to me." He shoves his hands in his jacket pockets. "Sure I believe in fate. But to the degree in which you do, nah. That's not for me."

"Then what about you? What do you think?"

"I'm one of the, you control your own destiny. We met because I saw you, in your cute red headband and came over. "

"But if I hadn't left the stupid thing in the kitchen, I wouldn't have worn it and you wouldn't have spoken to me." I point a finger at him with a triumphant smile. "Fate."

He laughs. "I like to think I would have talked to you either way."

"But you don't know that for a fact."

He starts to respond but stops when he sees the cathedral looming in front of him. "Wow."

I smile when I see the towers. "I know."

He turns to me and tilts his head to the side a little. "Are you joining me in the venture or are you dropping me off?"

I start to respond but he cuts me off with evil grin.

"And if you're just dropping me off, I might have to stalk you some more."

Laughing, "Ok, well I guess I'm joining you then."

"That's the right answer. Let's do this."

We walk through the guided tour of the cathedral, listening and taking in the beauty that Notre Dame has to offer. I've been here countless times in the past year and it has really become one of my favorite places in the country. It just has so much history to it and it's impossible to walk through the door, hell, to even look at it, without feeling something.

"Wolves?" Justin leans over and whispers to me. "What's the deal with that?"

"Oh, in like 1450 or 1451 there was this wild pack of wolves that invaded the city and killed a bunch of people. So a mob of Parisians lured them to the cathedral and killed them." I smiled as a very boyish grin formed on his lips.

"Really?" He asks and I nod. "That's fucking awesome!"

I laugh as the tour guide starts to speak about the history of the bells. "It's not that awesome. It was a scary time for the city. There were more than 30 people killed. Eaten by these wolves. If that's your idea of awesome you need to have your head checked."

"The death is not awesome." He rolls his eyes playfully. "But man eating wolves? Come on now, that's sorta cool. Like a real life werewolf or something."

"Not a werewolf! Actual wolves."

He arches an eyebrow at me. "They could have been werewolves."

I laugh and shake my head at him. He is completely charming and I'm sorta glad that I met him. I don't really know why I've met him, yet, but something tells me that there is a reason it happened.

"Come on, let's get outta here and roam." I grab his forearm and drag him back outside.

We start to trek back to the other side of the city, moving slowly and I'm watching him take in all the sites. It's exciting to see someone else taking it all in and seemingly enjoying it much like I have.

"Ok, so, this fate thing," He looks at me as a group of school kids run past us, their teacher trailing after them. "Why do you think it is that it was you? And not someone else?"

I shrug. "You tell me. You approached me."

He runs a hand over his head and down the back of his neck. "I don't know really." He chuckles. "You were there, I needed help. End of story."

"I guess."

"Ok, so either way, it was you and not someone else. What does that mean for the future? Like, do you have an idea why it was you and what it means for our future?"

"Our future?" I smirk at him. "Are you picking out china patterns or something?"

He lets out a hearty laugh, his head thrown back in the process. "No, I'm just saying. You said we met for a reason so you must have an idea, however wrong or out there it might be, of what the future holds for us. Either together or separate."

"Well, I'm not sure to be honest with you. I may never see you again after today."

"What?" He feigns shock. "I thought we're planning a wedding here."

"Yes, there is this wedding that must be planned. Forgive me for letting it slip my mind." I laugh. "I don't know. I'm heading back to the states tomorrow morning."

He stops and grabs my hand. "Huh? Who's supposed to be my tour guide?"

I look down at my hand clutched in his and I'm unsettled at how much it doesn't bother me. I usually hate when people I don't know touch me. It makes me very uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I'm flying home tomorrow."

"This isn't home?"

I shake my head. "I wish it was but it's not. I've been staying at my aunt's house for the last year. She offered it to me since I've always wanted to come."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you want to come to Paris?" He asks, my hand still in his.

I chew on my lip and ponder that. I don't know why Paris. I've just always wanted to come here. The history, the museums, the sites, I just wanted to see it all.

I look up at him, my eyes squinted in the sunlight. He's looking at me like he's really interested and maybe he is but this is really starting to weird me out. I've never felt a connection like this with anyone before. Not just a connection but more of a....I don't know. Like I've known him forever. Like we're supposed to know each other.

"Hadley?" He gives my hand a light squeeze.

I shake the thoughts of my head. "It's Paris. Why wouldn't anyone want to come here?"

He smiles and releases my hand. "So, now that you've fulfilled your fill of Paris, where is home?"

"Home is in Texas." I tell him as we start walking again.

"No accent though." He grins. "And I have yet to hear you say ‘ya'll."

"Stereotype."

"Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping to maybe hear you say it. Wondering if maybe it's a sexy as it sounds in movies."

Laughing I reach out and shove him playfully. "You are such a boy."

"Yes but you flirting with a girl like you've been flirting with me, sexy as that might be, would not be good for me." He grins at me, reaching out and taking my hand in his again.

And again, I don't pull away.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story