Author's Chapter Notes:

ok, really this is the last update for the day. haha i beat kate and that was my goal in life today. oh, and i skipped hour three, yes, i'm aware. no fears. it'll all come together.

ps - i still love you kate. i just had nothing else to do at work today. hahaha

"Tell me about your family." I ask. "You keep saying your brother. I wanna hear about him."

"Ah yes, my brother." He grins at me as we settle down on the grass. "Well, Devon is six and he wants to be a daredevil when he grows up."

I let out a laugh. "A daredevil, really?"

"He saw this video of Evil Knievel a few months back and has made up his mind that that's what he's going to do when he grows up. Except that poor kid is scared of his own shadow." He laughs.

"Aw, don't laugh." I reach out and swat his leg. "He's six and I'm sure he's adorable."

"I guess. He's a great kid. Always following me around, copying everything I do." He shakes his head, smile still firmly intact. "He's like this tiny little guy. He's my best friend."

My heart warms when he says that. I'm an only child so I can only guess what it must be like to have a lifelong friend like that. I know that the two of them have a bond that can never be broken.

"Do you have a picture of him?" I stretch my legs out, eyes scanning the crowd in the park.

"Um, maybe." He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his wallet, flipping it open. "Ah." He pulls out a small picture and hands it to me. "That is my little dude."

The boy in the picture looks exactly what I'm assuming Justin looked like as a little boy. Big blue eyes, big smile, a gap in the front from a missing tooth and head full of blond curls looking almost out of control.

"Ok, really? He's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life." I hand it back to him.

"Cuter than me?" He gives me a doe eyed look.

I roll my eyes before settling back on my elbows. "Cuter than you."

"Ouch." He clasps a hand over his heart dramatically before laying down beside me. "And apart from Devon, it's just mom."

"Where's dad?" I turn to him.

His face clouds over with something I can't figure out. He looks a little lost, a little mad, maybe some sadness. "Um, my dad died about a year ago."

"Oh, I'm so sorry Justin." I reach out and touch his shoulder. "I didn't know."

He shrugs before turning to me. "You couldn't have known. No biggie."

I nod and chew on my bottom lip. I feel like I'm learning more about him than I should given I've only known him a few hours but this whole thing is crazy. The connection that we have, it really is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

Maybe I should be a little more scared of it but I'm going to do what I feel is right and this feels right.

"He has been messing around on my mom and then I found out about it. I went to his office and sorta confronted him about it. Of course we got into a huge fight because I told him he to tell her or I was." He says. "When I left that day we both said some shit that just wasn't right. He got in an accident on the way home and barely regained conscious for me to apologize."

"Oh my God." I whisper at a complete loss of what to say.

He looks at me and I feel the unshed tears in my eyes and feel bad. He doesn't need to see me like this, I don't know his family. I don't need to upset him or put him through more then he's already been through.

"It's ok." He says. "I'm ok. He woke up long enough for use to make peace."

I continue to stare at him, feeling completely helpless and guilty. I never should have asked him.

"We made peace." He grins then makes a cross in front of him. "You know? My peace I leave, my peace I give to you. While we ate Reese's Pieces with the Lord. And I have a piece of lint in my peaceful eye!"

I let out a laugh that I'm sure scared small children playing in the park but I couldn't help it. Quoting one of my favorite Dane Cook skits to me is a surefire way to earn a special spot in my heart.

"Oh my God, I think I'm in love with you a little." I laugh wiping away a tear.

"So the wedding's back on then?" He laughs, reaching out and tucking my hair over my shoulder. "Great, my mother is going to love you."

"And my mother is going to wonder how I ended up with someone so normal."

"Me? I'm normal?" He looks shocked. "I just quoted Dane Cook in reference to my dad's death. How is the even remotely close to normal?"

I let out another laugh. "You are not a granola carrying, dreadlock headed, Jesus sandal wearing guy."

"That sounds....disgusting." He makes a face. "You actually dated guys like that?"

I shrug, the faces of former boyfriends flipping through my mind like a photo album. "I enjoy all types of men."

His eyes widen. "Is that so?"

Groaning I reach out and smack him again. "Idiot."

"So," He lies back down again. "You know about my family. I wanna know about yours."

I'm quiet a second trying to figure out how to explain my parents to him.

"Hadley?" He rolls his head to look at me. "Did I lose you?"

"No, I'm just...." I shrug and lay down beside him. "My dad is great. He's really funny and easy going. Always sees everything in the most beautiful and positive light. And mom, well, I don't really know."

I sit there and I can feel him looking at me. Waiting for me to continue but I'm not really sure how to.

My mom and I have a strained relationship. She's great once you get past the frigid exterior but she doesn't really approve of the things I've done with my life the past few years so we don't really speak much. Other than a quick ‘how are you' kinda thing.

"She and I just don't really see eye to eye on a lot." I finally give him.

I can tell by the way he's looking at me he's hoping I'll elaborate but I'm not really ready to bring all that drama up.

"Eh, we've all got parental issues. Whatever." He says closing his eyes. 

I watch him in silence. I'm being to wonder why I'm still hanging out with him. Sure, he's nice and really funny and I'm having a great time with him but the more time I spend with him, the more I'd getting attached. Which is only going to make leaving tomorrow harder; going back home to nothing. No job, no friends, no idea what I'm going to do with myself.

Chapter End Notes:
i need to add this note cause i keep forgetting. the first part of this is sorta like 'before sunrise' but there is a part two that will not be so. yeah, just gotta give dues where dues are due. or something. not stealing. thanks peoples  :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story