"Nothing. Just us guys enjoying the game!" Justin smiled, slyly glaring over at David for compliance.

 

"Yeah. Guy talk."

 

Kerri walked over to Justin, who had stood up from the couch to greet her. She leaned up and hugged him lightly. It felt awkward being in his arms. She didn't know if it had anything to do with the fact that David was there or the fact that they hadn't seen each other in awhile. But the hug didn't feel the same way it had so many times in the past. Justin apologized for coming at a bad time and told her that he would see her later.

 

She tightened her grip on his bicep, "No stay. I haven't seen you in awhile. Who knows the next chance I'll get to sit and talk with you?"

 

He glanced over towards David’s direction. "No. I didn't mean to intrude."

 

"It's okay.” David interrupted. “I need to go and take care of something anyway." He told Kerri he would see her later and then headed out the door.

 

Serena stood around in the kitchen watching them, pretending that she was looking for something to eat. Kerri and Justin looked towards her in silence. She wanted to hang around and be nosy but judging by the looks on their faces, she thought it would be best if she eavesdropped from her bedroom. When they were finally alone, Justin pinched Kerri’s arm, "Why didn't you tell me about your ex?"

 

"Because I already knew what you would say."

 

"You deserve better."

 

“Well I live in the real world. It may not get any better than this.” She stated kicking her shoes off. “He cares about me. People can change, right?”

 

“Kerri, you can’t be serious!” He huffed running his hands over his face.

 

"Calm down!  It's not like I'm marrying him.” She made her way over to the table to look through the mail and avoid his judgmental stares. “We’re just hanging out.”

 

“What the fuck you mean hanging out?” he glared.

 

Kerri could feel his eyes burning holes through the back of her head and she briefly luxuriated in the idea that he might possibly be jealous. “Not like you and I used to hang out, Justin. We’re just talking.” She responded, never turning around to meet his gaze.

 

Justin took a deep breath and walked away from the entire conversation to get some air out on the balcony. Kerri followed him, finding a spot next to him on the railing. They looked out at the city as the sun began to set behind the hills. He stood there quiet, intently listening to her recount her recent reunion with her ex.

 

Kerri and David had attempted to go out a few times together, but she never really felt comfortable being with him again. Things just seemed so different now. She still cared about him but didn’t believe she could ever trust him again. David had come over that afternoon unexpectedly, trying to persuade her to have dinner with him later on that night. She was in the middle of giving him another excuse, when Serena called her needing a ride home because her car broke down.

 

David was slowly wearing Kerri down and she knew that if given the chance he'd eventually reel her back in. He already knew her, her past, and her quirks. He wasn’t complicated. She didn't have worry about photographers following them everywhere, or how a simply touch of the hand or hug would be perceived by hundreds of fans. He was a normal and predictable--for the most part.

 

Kerri was growing tired of spending her nights alone, thoughts consumed by the feelings going on deep inside her. She just wanted to disappear inside someone else for awhile, in hopes that it would quiet all the voices inside her brain that were telling her to look over at this specimen of a man standing next to her with the captivating blue eyes. This man who would, at the drop of a dime, fly her across the country, just because he wanted to see her face. With sex comes consequences, and that was exactly what she hoped she was dealing with.

 

Tired of talking about David, Kerri changed the subject. She made her way back into the apartment and over to the fridge and asked, “So how are things with the Holiwell sister?"

 

"Over..." he said, plopping down on his favorite recliner.

 

"What? When?"

 

“It wasn’t going anywhere. We're still friends though.”

 

Kerri handed him a coke, and curled her legs beneath her on the couch, “Was it supposed to go somewhere? What happened to all that talk about I’m single, I just wanna flirt a little, go out and date.” She mocked affectionately.

 

“You’re right. I just…I just thought I'd be able to get more than just a good time out of it.”

 

What he really wanted to tell her was that he hadn’t been able to find anyone else that was more stimulating than her…Both mentally and physically. "The entire time that I was with her, I thought about you. We'd be out somewhere and I'd be wondering what you were up to. That’s why I'm always texting you." He turned his head to look Kerri in the eyes. "I'm out with this beautiful, sexy woman who I've had a crush on ever since I can remember and all I could think about was how much fun I could be having laying around on the couch with you instead of having to dodge double the paparazzi. Don’t you find that strange?"

 

Justin was fishing…Fishing for her to tell him that she felt the same way. Some sign that he wasn’t the only one struggling with his feelings.

 

"No. It’s not strange at all.” She smiled taking a sip of her drink. “I have that effect on a lot of men."

 

Justin got up from the recliner and proceeded to smack Kerri in the head with a throw pillow. He leaned his weight into her, causing her to apologize profusely so he would allow her to breath. He shifted his weight over and allowed her to sit up. He gently moved a piece of hair out of her face, "I'm being serious, Ker. Can you stop being a smart ass for two seconds please?"

 

"I'm sorry." Kerri smiled lightly patting Justin’s chest, trying to cleverly put some distance between their faces.

 

Just as Kerri was about to speak she was startled by the sound of a Serena opening her bedroom door. She'd overheard Justin and didn't want her presence to hinder Kerri from admitting to the man that she felt the same way. She made up an excuse and told them she'd be back in a couple hours.

 

Kerri looked back at Justin who was now staring at her mouth. She could see the wheels turning in his brain as he let his tongue snake out to wet his bottom lip and knew that being alone together in the apartment was the worse possible scenario. “You wanna go and get something to eat?” she asked.

 

It was all she could think of at the last minute. She needed to be out in public with him…Somewhere things couldn’t escalate into more than just conversation.

 

“Ummm…Sure.”

 

Kerri grabbed her keys and told him she'd drive. She made up an excuse about paparazzi knowing his car, but really just didn’t want him in control of where they ended up at the end of the night. If he had it his way they would surely end up back at his house.

 

Once they were downtown, Kerri and Justin spotted a quaint little restaurant and decided it would be the perfect spot to grab something to eat. As they walked up to the entrance Kerri noticed that there were tables outside in a fenced area for guests to eat. It was a nice night to sit outside. "Why don't we sit out here?"

 

"I don't think that would be a good idea." He replied.

 

"Why not?"

 

"You already know why." He stated, cautiously looking across the street to see if there were any photographers in sight.

 

"Nobody's gonna bother us out here.”

 

“I’m really not in the mood tonight, Kerri. Let’s just go inside.”

 

“Stop being paranoid. Come on.” she urged him.

 

Just as Justin was about to walk over to grab them a table a small group of college girls came rushing across the street. "I told you it was him! Can we please get your autograph, Justin?"

 

Kerri stood to the side and watched as he wrote his signature on some napkins and the back of a menu. He glanced her way and gave her that all too familiar "I told you so" look before flashing a smile and continuing to sign.

 

The small group of girls brought attention from people who were outside eating as well as those just walking by. Curiosity caused many to leave their seats to find out why the small crowd was gathered. Justin did his best to make his way through the drones of people who were now vying for his attention, but it was almost impossible. Kerri went inside and asked one of the managers for his assistance.

 

A couple of busboys came outside and led him through the crowd. Once they were safely inside the building Justin suggested  it would be a good idea if they left before the paparazzi got wind of where they were. The manager suggested that they leave through the private employee parking lot to avoid the crowd gathered outside peering through the windows to catch of glimpse of the singer. Kerri could hear people talking about Justin and whispering to one another about her as she walked out front to get the car. "…Who's that girl with him? I hope he isn't out on a date with her...I mean look at her…Her ass is huge…He could do so much better…"

 

They were both silent when Justin got into the car. She could tell he was off in his own little world and decided to just drive around for awhile so he could clear his head. About a half hour later, they ended up in a part of town that Justin didn’t recognize. The streets no longer looked as clean as they did on Santa Monica Blvd. The houses weren’t as nice and there were a few more bums than usual. As she continued to drive he started to notice a pattern. Bars. Lots and lots of bars covering front doors, windows, and steering wheels. He also noticed that there weren’t that many people walking around even though it was barely eight o’clock at night on a weekend.

 

“Where are we?” he asked, making sure the doors were locked.

 

“Somewhere we won’t be bothered.”

 

“Yeah but are we gonna get back alive is my question.” He chuckled.

 

“Stop being so boushy.”

 

After a few blocks, they pulled up in front of a strip of buildings that looked like they could use a team of demolition experts. Justin looked out his window and could see people walking in and out of the liquor store on the corner as well as the bustle of people going into the Chinese takeout place next door. His eyes finally gazed upon the neon sign in the window in front of him. The word ‘Mama’s’ kept flashing back at him.

 

Justin reluctantly got out of the car and followed her inside. He could hear Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home” playing softly throughout the tiny restaurant. Although the outside seemed unsightly, the inside was a different story. As they made their way over to a booth near the window, he noticed hundreds of photos adorning the walls as well as different music memorabilia. The place was cozy and had a very homey atmosphere to it and it didn’t take him long to stop looking outside to check on the car. He waited as Kerri scooted into the booth and instead of sitting across from her, he sat beside her.

 

“The food here is incredible.” Kerri said as she handed him a menu. “And it’s ten times cheaper than that stuff that you are used to eating on the other side of town.” She nudged him with her elbow and he finally cracked a smile.

 

When their waitress arrived at the table, Justin noticed she didn’t have on a uniform. Just some jeans, a t-shirt, an apron, and a name tag. She didn’t even have a pad or pen in her hand to take their order. She gave them the friendliest smile and asked, “What are you two in the mood the drink tonight?”

 

Kerri ordered them a pitcher of beer and told her that they wanted Mama’s Specialty Platter.

 

As the two of them sat there and talked he noticed that he hadn’t been bothered by anyone asking for an autograph or wondering why he looked familiar. Everyone there was caught up in their own conversations and didn’t give him a second glance. Out of habit, he looked out the window to see if there were any photographers snapping photos and he was pleasantly surprised when he didn’t see anyone.

 

When the food arrived, Justin instantly felt like he was back home sitting at the dinner table at his mom’s house. He gazed down at the large plate of Barbeque chicken, macaroni and cheese and collard greens staring back up at him. When he took a bite out of his food, Kerri could hear a loud moan escape his lips. She looked over at him and noticed his eyes fluttering as he chewed. She giggled lightly, before digging her fork in to eat.

 

When he was done eating he looked over at her and asked, “Do you bring all the guys here to get them addicted to you and this food?” Justin asked as he stretched his arms out, letting one fall behind her on the edge of the booth.

 

“You know it…Gotta keep you coming back for something other than my incredible beauty.” She joked.

 

He smiled patting his now distended abdomen with his free hand. “Yeah I can see why David won’t leave you alone now.”

 

Kerri suddenly grew quiet. Justin cursed himself for ruining the moment with thoughts of her ex. She gazed up at him and stared into his eyes for a minute. He could see her struggling with something. He curled his fingers around her arm, rubbing it gently, waiting patiently for her to talk when she was ready. “…You’re the only person I've brought here. Serena doesn’t even know about this place.”

 

Justin was now the one who found himself quiet and at a loss for words. Just as he was about to speak, an older heavy-set woman came up to them and jovially said, “I thought I saw you out here, Care Bear!”

 

Kerri’s eyes lit up when she looked up and saw the woman. She set her knees up onto the bench of the booth and leaned across Justin to give the woman a big hug. “Hey, Ms. Mable! How are you?”

 

“Care Bear?” Justin asked looking up at Kerri.

 

“That’s what I call little Ms. Kerri here. She’s my Care Bear.” The large woman replied, finding a seat across from them in the booth.

 

Kerri introduced Justin to Ms. Mable and explained to him that she owned the restaurant and had cooked the extraordinary food they had just eaten. “Kerri's been in here buggin me since she was a teenager…Always sitting over there in the corner on that chair, reading a book and drinking a banana milkshake.” She pointed out. “This is the first time she hasn’t come by herself. I wanted to come out and embarrass her.” Justin squirmed in his seat when he saw the woman’s eyes on him, looking him up and down. “He’s cute, Kerri.” She grinned.

 

Kerri’s face started to turn red. “He’s just a friend, Ms. Mable.”

 

“Mmm Hmm…”

 

Ms. Mable looked up and motioned behind Justin, “Over here, Sandy.”

 

He turned around and noticed a woman bringing over a white cardboard box and setting it on the table along with two plates of pie.

 

“Well, Baby, I gotta get back in the kitchen, but wanted to say hello.” Kerri leaned over and gave the woman another hug. “I’ll talk to you soon, Care Bear. It was nice meeting you, Justin. Don’t be a stranger!”

 

Justin gently hugged the woman and waved at her as she walked away.  He sat back down and looked down at the plate in front of him. “Is this peach cobbler?”

 

“Yep.” Kerri smiled as she slid her fork into the pie and brought it up to his lips. Justin was almost afraid to open his mouth and taste it. “Don’t worry. I’m sure your grandma’s is still the best.”

 

Justin parted his lips and Kerri slowly slid the fork into his mouth. She could see his body slump down into the seat and couldn’t help but laugh at his face. “Oh…my…God, Kerri.” He mumbled between bites. “This is definitely close.”

 

These moments with her were exactly what he needed. He had stopped thinking about the extra media attention he had been receiving lately because of his involvement with Alyssa. He had temporarily forgotten about the craziness he called his life. It was like she knew exactly what he needed without him having to say a word. He watched her intently as she finished her pie. Sade’s “Sweetest Taboo” was playing in the background. Justin wrapped his shoulder around Kerri’s neck and pulled her in closer to him as he sang softly in her ear.

 

You give me, keep giving me the sweetest taboo

Too good for me

You've got the biggest heart

Sometimes I think you're just too good for me

 

Kerri voice caught in her throat when she tried her best to make a sarcastic gesture about being too good for him. He poked her in her side and finished the last bit of her pie.  She smiled as she watched him enjoying himself.  She could see a smudge of barbeque sauce on his cheek. She took her thumb and wet it with her tongue to wipe it off.

 

Justin wiped his face in disgust as if he were ten years old again, "Did you just pull a mom move on me, Kerri?"

 

"Oh don’t act like you haven’t had more than my spit on your face a time or two, Timberlake." she whispered in his ear.

 

And with that one statement, she'd accidentally opened the floodgates.  She could feel his breath hitting her neck. "Were you thinking about that too?  Cause I was just about to make a suggestion that we-"

 

Thank goodness the waitress came back over with the check or Kerri was sure she would have definitely been a goner had he been allowed to finish his thought. Kerri shoved Justin’s wallet away and proceeded to pay the bill for their food. “Mable said the pie’s on the house, babe.” The woman said as she patted her hand against the white cardboard box she had brought over earlier.

 

“Oh, tell her I said thank you!” Kerri smiled.

 

Justin got up and helped her out of the booth. Kerri grabbed the pie and went out ahead of him to the car. She didn’t notice Justin take and set a hundred dollar bill on the table as a tip. When he got to the car, she was setting the pie down in the backseat. As she closed the door and turned, Justin was standing right in front of her, dangerously close to her face yet again.

 

"You never responded to what I said earlier."

 

"Which was?" She smiled coyly.

 

"The whole bit about you constantly being on my mind." he whispered softly in her ear.

 

Kerri's eyes floated up towards the sky, "What did you want me to say, Justin?"

 

She could feel him teasing her. Letting his lips get close to her skin, but never touching her.

 

"Just be straight with me..." he whispered in her other ear, letting his fingertip skim up and down her neck.

 

She hesitated. Trying to figure out what to say. His teeth were now grazing her jaw line and it wasn't helping her concentrate at all. "I'm afraid,” she whispered back.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

CHAPTER MUSIC:

Bring It On Home ~ Sam Cooke

Sweetest Taboo ~ Sade



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers girlontop bathroomsex kitchensex blindfold soloj