Chapter Eleven

 

His heavy breathing pounded in her ear and she could feel the rapid beat of his heart against her back as he continued to clutch her to his chest, refusing to let go.

 

"I'm going to move my hand from your mouth, but if you scream, I promise I'll hurt you."

 

She nodded, just once, and took in a deep breath the moment his hand was free from her mouth. She thought about screaming, but somehow she knew the man behind her would be true to his word and hurt her the moment any sound slipped between her lips, and the chances of Lance hearing her and coming to her rescue were slim to none.

 

She remained silent, waiting for him to do something, anything, but her patience was running thin, and the way his arms wrapped around her waist, pinning her arms to her side in a tight grip, was causing her more pain than she could bare.

 

"What do you want with me?"

 

Her voice was nothing but a whisper laced with anger and tears, and she felt him relax, loosening his grip for a slight moment, before returning his strong hold on her again.

 

"I should be asking you the same lady. You tried to hit me, remember? Who the hell are you?"

 

She flinched at the anger in his voice and her breath hitched as the tears continued down her face, her fear refusing to let her be calm.

 

"You frightened me. No one is supposed to be down here and ......."

 

"Down here where?"

 

"Look, I only came down here to get some papers. If you'll just let me go I'll forget everything and Lance doesn't have to know about any of this."

 

She cried out as his grip became tighter, more forceful, and if possible, his breathing even angrier at the mention of Lances name. She prayed that if God would just get her out of there safely she would never again snoop around in places where she didn't belong. Whatever it was that Lance was doing or whatever it was he was involved with was certainly dangerous, and she didn't, in any way, want to be a part of it.

 

One arm moved from around her waist to her throat and she cried out in fear once again, almost choking, from the pressure he applied.

 

"Please....I'll do anything......just....just don't hurt me."

 

He loosened his grip, frightening even himself with his anger, and took a few deep breaths calming himself. There was something familiar about her voice, something that brought back old memories, and he struggled to think of where he could possibly remember this fragile, yet feisty female from.

 

"What do you have to do with Lance? What part do you play in this?"

 

She sniffed and tried to move her arm to wipe away her tears, but gave up, relaxing back against his chest. It was obvious he wasn't on Lances side, and maybe, if she could just stay calm and gain his trust, then she could make it out alive.

 

"I work for Lance."

 

The grip was back, and she quickly tried to explain herself before things could get worse.

 

".....BUT it's not what you think. I don't really know him....just met him. He promised to help me, promised me lots of money to help me get on my feet if I would only work for him for a year. So I agreed, but now I think I'm in danger and I only came down here to find some contracts I signed. I was told no one was allowed down here, so when I heard you, I.......you frightened me......I was just scarred."

 

The softness of her voice broke him, and he leaned in closer to her, closing his eyes, as he took in her familiar clean scent, and let the tight grip he held on her loosen up.

 

"Swear to me you're not part of his team and ........"

 

The handle of the door turned and rattled as an outside invader attempted to reach them and the two of them remained still and quiet locking their eyes on the door in front of them.

 

"Hey.....you ok in there?"

 

He realised she had locked the door behind her, and moved closer to the door, dragging her along with him, listening with anticipation for signs of who awaited them. She remained silent without being told, and somehow the arms around her that held her so captive with fear, began to feel like a comfort, a shield, protection from the unknown, as a distant voice cracked through the silence, startling the two of them. He waited, listening for the voice again, before he made any move. He needed to know, had to be sure who that voice belonged to before he opened the door, letting just anyone in.

 

"Hey, come on and open the door....I have a key....I...."

 

Hearing the familiar voice, he twisted the lock and turned the knob, allowing the man on the outside to slip in, closing and locking the door behind him. Emily looked up, meeting the eyes of the man who stood before her, and pressed back against her captor, wanting to shrink away from sight. She continued to watch as his eyes shifted from her to the man behind her, and fear struck her again, causing her to think of a quick escape. She stepped down hard on the foot next to hers and ran for the door as his arms released her, grabbing his foot in pain, giving her time to fumble with the lock and open the door. She stumbled from the room, her breath coming in gasp, and ran straight for the stairs, taking them three at a time, determined to get away.

 

She was almost there, three steps away from the door that suddenly seemed to tower over her, and she tripped, falling to her knees and hitting her chin on the step above her. Pain was not import and neither was the blood that began to trickle from the corner of mouth, what was important were the hands that grabbed her, pulling her back down the stairs as she kicked and screamed fighting to get away from the stranger. His hand clamped over her mouth and her tears blinded her vision once again as she was thrown to the room she had managed to escape, watching in horror as the door was closed and locked behind her once again.

 

@2004Lancesharmony Productions

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story