Chapter Two

 

Emily fell back onto the worn out checkered couch, and smiled as she pulled the cash from the tiny apron she wore around her waist. The men had been quite generous with their tips, and if she was correct, without stopping to really count, she had made well over $2,000 dollars.

 

She was planning on asking Marty for the next night off to do some much needed grocery shopping, when a soft knock rapped on the dressing room door, pulling her from the mental list she was trying to make in her head.

 

"Come in."

 

She yelled, and shoved the money back into her apron pocket, looking up to Marty with a smile as he walked through the door, closing it behind him.

 

"Emily, hon, someone has asked to speak with you. I'll let him in if you want, but if you say no I'll send him on his way."

 

"Who in the world would want to see me?"

 

"Mr. Bass." Marty grinned, and leaned back against the counter behind folding his strong arms across his chest.

 

"He's quite smitten with you. I've know the man awhile now and he's a pretty good guy. He's 25, makes a hell of a lot of money, never has caused any trouble, at least, not around here. In my opinion, I say go for it."

 

She thought about it for a moment before sitting up straighter on the couch, adjusting her shorts and top, and making herself a little more presentable.

 

"Ok Mart, send him in, but don't you DARE go too far. I've had enough groping tonight."

 

He nodded, stepping away from the counter, and dropped one arm to his side as he reached for the door nob with the other, opening it slightly, before turning back to her.

 

"I'll send him in and stand right outside the door. Remember, scream if you need me."

 

She watched him walk from the room chuckling to herself and stopped to take a deep breath as Lance walked through the door with Marty close behind him.

 

"Emily, this is Mr. Lance Bass."

 

She held her hand out toward him, mumbling a soft hello, and smiled as he took her hand in his, leaning down to place a soft kiss on the back of it.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you Emily."

 

He released her hand moving to sit down next to her, as Marty left the room, closing the door behind him.

 

"What do I owe this pleasure Mr. Bass?"

 

"Call me Lance, please."

 

She smiled, feeling slightly awkward around him, and nodded her head as she looked him over. The black suit he wore looked to have been custom make, for it fit him perfectly in all the right places and looked to have been highly expensive as well. His blond hair was styled just right and his green eyes were the most unusual she had ever seen. He was handsome, that was for sure, and the reasons he wanted to see her certainly had her curious.

 

"Lance it is."

 

"You are a beautiful woman Emily, and quite intriguing. I found myself unable to take my eyes off of you."

 

Her face burned from the crimson blush she felt creep into her cheeks, and she turned her eyes downward, too embarrassed to look him in the eye. He was a very charming man, and it had been a long time since she had been around a man with such manners and charm.

 

"You are quite flattering Lance. I don't believe I've blushed like this in years."

 

He laughed, a soft warming chuckle, and waited for her to make eye contact with him before continuing.

 

"Someone with your charm and beauty shouldn't be stuck in a place like this. I have an offer I would like to make you."

 

Her brow creased in confusion, and she instantly became wary of the man who sat next to her.

 

"Look Mr. Bass...."

 

"Lance."

 

"Whatever.." She said rising to her feet and moving across the room to put a safe distance between the two of them. "I don't know what you may have in mind, but I am not a hooker, I am a 21 year old trying to make some money to be able to provide better for myself. , and just because I happen to work in a place like this, doesn't mean someone like you can......."

 

Lance stood from the couch holding his hands out in front of him in defence.

 

"Woooo...hold up. I meant in no way to offend you. Please just hear me out."

 

She folded her arms across her chest, eyeing him suspiciously, and nodded her head, deciding to give him at least two minutes to talk before she screamed for Marty. After all, Marty did seem to trust the man, and that was really saying something when it came from Marty.

 

"Fine, say what you need to say, but you have two minutes to explain yourself before I have a slew of very large men on your ass escorting you out."

 

She instantly took another step backwards as he stepped forward and he sighed, dropping his hands to his sides before begining.

 

"Ok, all I meant was that you are a very beautiful woman, and from what I've seen you've got a great personality. I know this is not what you want to do with your life and I would love to get the chance to know you better."

 

He paused for a moment turning to his left taking a few steps, and stopped, picking up a rose that laid on the makeup counter in front of him.

 

"My life is in the spotlight, so to speak. There are parties, dinners, balls, all sorts of functions where people are constantly watching me, waiting to see what I'll be attending and who will arrive on my arm. I could get a date anytime I wanted to, but my life is too busy for committed relationships and that is what women want. If they don't want a relationship, then they are with me merely for my money, and those are the ones who can't be trusted."

 

Emily watched as he laid the rose back to the counter and turned facing her once again, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

 

"My offer to you Emily is this, I get you out of here, move you into my home and provide you with everything you need, let you get a taste of what the good life is about. All you have to do is appear at my side at all the functions looking beautiful as you are, nothing more, nothing less."

 

She stared at him for a moment before breaking into a laughter of disbelief and unfolded her arms pulling once again unconsciously at her short top.

 

"Let me get this straight. You want me to believe that you are going to take me away from here, give me a place to live with everything I need and the only thing you want from me is to attend some fancy parties and dinners with you? WHY would I do that MR. BASS? Why would I give up my safety to live with a man I know nothing about?"

 

"Because I'm offering one million for you to do it."

 

His voice was calm and he never batted an eyelash as he spoke, determined to show her that this was not a joke. She gripped the back of the barstool sitting next to her and held on tightly as she slowly moved to climb onto it sitting, suddenly feeling dizzy and light headed. Certainly the man in front of her could not be serious, though he never cracked a smile and his breathing and expression had remained calm, she still could not believe this man, this stranger, had offered her one millions dollars to take her away. Surely she had heard him wrong.

 

"What did you just say?"

 

She had spoken so low she wasn't sure she had said the words aloud or merely thought them until Lance shifted his feet and began to speak.

 

"Give me a year, and if you are unhappy with the arrangement or feel uncomfortable, we'll call the whole thing quits and you can leave with your million, BUT only after you have stayed a year. I'll give you three thousand right now if you'll just say yes."

 

She was speechless as she stood from the stool and began to pace the tiny room back and forth with thoughts spinning through her head. This was the opportunity she needed to get away from the club, and with the people she would meet, maybe there was a chance to get herself a better job and finally live in a life that she deserved, and with one million dollars........ She smiled at the endless thoughts of what she could do with the money and nodded to herself silently agreeing to his offer.

 

"Ok Mr. Bass." She stated, walking toward him and stopped to stand in front of him looking him in the eyes. "You have yourself a deal. One year, one million dollars, and we'll see what happens from there."

 

He smiled, releasing the breath he had been unconsciously holding and held his hand out once again, shaking hers as she offered it to him.

 

One year....that was all...she had spent the past five years living in hell and struggling to survive, and running from her past. How hard could one year possibly be?

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story