Chapter Five

 

His shoes clicked against the tiled floor as he hurried down the hall, keys in hand, wanting to reach the sealed room as quickly as possible. The night he had spent alone with the experiment he had read through the files, unable to believe the torture they had been putting the poor man through.

 

How long the man had been locked away, he was uncertain of, for he had been unable to crack the codes that had been used for dates, and the experiment was the only name they referred the man by. What they were doing behind those closed doors was illegal, and he was going to have no part of it.

 

It had been a week since they last left him alone on the experiment, and he wasn't sure when he would get the opportunity alone with him again. One way or another he was going to get that man to talk, he only prayed he had enough time to save him.

 

The door had been bolted tightly by the five locks, and he fumbled nervously with his keys, dropping them twice, before finally managing to free every one of the bolts, and opened the door slowly, afraid of startling the man behind it.

 

There in the corner, sitting with his knees pulled to his chest, and his arms wrapped tightly around them, was a distraught looking man, and he closed his eyes sighing deeply before stepping into the room, closing the door behind him. The team had been in earlier, injecting the man with experimental drugs and it was up to him to watch over him and keep record of any changes that occurred with the man throughout the night. So far no changes had been noted by any team member, but he knew with the mixture of drugs that had been injected, his night was not going to be a quiet one, and he grabbed the wooden chair by the door dragging it to sit in front of the man, hoping to get some answers before the changes began.

 

"Hello sir. I am here to help you. Please tell me your name."

 

Blue eyes lifted, staring back at him, and he was taken aback by the emptiness and sadness that showed in them. Silence hung over them as the man continued to stare, and with a sigh, he tried once again to get through to him.

 

"My name is Joshua. I know the things they are doing to you and I want to help you, but you've got to talk to me......please."

 

In one sudden movement the man lunged forward, gripping a metal pole tightly in his hand that had been unseen, as Joshua jumped from his chair, quickly backing away, and dodging the pole as it was swung at him. He ducked, reaching his hand above his head, blindly searching for the pole being swung at him, and wrapped his hand around the cold metal frantically attempting to pull it free from the mans hands.

 

"Settle down. I'm here to help you. I'm not like them."

 

Angered cries flowed from the man as he pulled the metal free from Joshuas hand and chased him around the small room, swinging wildly over and over, determined to hit him. Josh grabbed the wooden chair, lifting it in front of him, blocking the man from reaching him, and used the legs of the chair to corner the man against the wall.

 

Startled, the man slowly released the grip the held on the metal pole and let it fall to the floor with a loud clanging as he stopped his struggling, feeling suddenly defeated once again.

 

"Just calm down or i'll have to sedate you." Josh breathed heavily, and lowered the chair waiting to see if the man would strike again. Once satisfied he had calmed, he sat the chair to the floor and backed away from the man, examining him from a distance.

 

"Now..." He said, still trying to catch his breath from the battle. "Again, I know what they are doing to you and I am here to help you, but I have a LOT of unanswered questions, and without those answers you are going to be stuck surrounded by these four walls with those doctors continuing to torture you and use you for their experiments. Are you going to trust me or not?"

 

The blue eyed man stared at him, letting the words sink in as he moved toward the bed, lowering himself to sit. He felt tired, yet at the same time a vast amount of energy surged through him, making him feel as though the room was closing in on him. The man called Joshua hadn't harmed him, though he had had every chance, he never hurt him in any way, and he had been kind, almost concerned when ever he entered the room.

 

Maybe he was telling the truth.....maybe Joshua was going to help him. It's not like he had much choice anyway, he was trapped, and the only thing he could do was answer Joshuas questions and pray no more harm would come to him.

 

@2004Lancesharmony



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story