The day had drawn on for Lance until night fell. He had stayed in all day, playing with Noah and watching Veggie Tales and Blues Clues. He was doing his best not to think of Alli and when Noah would out of the blue ask for his mother, Lance painfully stated that Mommy was in heaven now, hoping that Noah would somehow understand.

 

"It's time for bed, Noah," Lance told his son, as he stood from the couch. Noah had been playing on the floor with his toys.

 

"No sleepy," Noah replied, ignoring his father.

 

"Yes, son, it's past your bedtime. Your mommy-" he had started to say 'Your mommy doesn't like it when you stay up past nine,' but there was no need for that anymore. "Never mind. Just obey Daddy and go to bed, okay?"

 

Noah sighed and reluctantly moved away from his beloved toys. He waddled over to Lance and held his arms up so that Lance would pick him up. "Daddy, stowy?"

 

"Daddy will read you a story, Noah," Lance smiled and kissed Noah's cheek. He carried him upstairs and put him in his pajamas and then tucked him in his "big boy" bed as Noah called it. "What do you want me to read?"

 

"Bears," Noah pointed to his collection of The Berenstain Bears books. Lance picked out a book and began to read to Noah, whose little eyes began to flutter and before Lance was finished, Noah was sound asleep.

 

"Sleep tight, son," Lance whispered, as he kissed Noah goodnight and made his way downstairs. He passed the pictures in the hallway of him and Alli on their wedding day, on their Honeymoon, and the day that Noah was born. "God, I miss you," Lance choked up and took down his favorite picture of the two of them. They were kissing in front of an old castle in Liechtenstein on their honeymoon. The sun was setting behind them and it looked like a professional photographer had taken it. Lance carried it downstairs and sat down on the couch, tracing his finger over Alli. His tears fell down onto the frame and in a minute, Lance was face down on the couch sobbing. The doorbell rang and he quickly wiped away his tears, getting up to answer the door.

 

"I thought you might want some company," Joey smiled, as he came into the house.

 

"I just put Noah down for the night," Lance sniffed. "Where's Belle?"

 

"She's at home. When I left she was talking to my mother and they'll be gabbing for hours. She's been on the phone with her a lot ever since we found out about the baby," Joey said. Belle was in her seventh month of pregnancy and it had almost killed her when she found out that her best friend wasn't going to make it for the birth. Next to Lance, Belle was the next one taking it the hardest.

 

"That's how Alli was with my Mom..." Lance trailed off. He cleared his throat. "Never mind. Do you want anything to drink?"

 

"Lance, if you want to talk about it, you know you can talk to me. I'm your best friend," Joey put a hand on Lance's shoulder.

 

"I don't feel like talking about it. Not right now," Lance shook his head and went into the den.

"How is Noah?" Joey asked.

 

"He's confused. He and I spent all day together and he kept asking me where Mommy was. Do you know how hard it is to tell a two-year-old child that their mommy is in heaven?" Lance was beginning to get misty-eyed again, but quickly wiped the tears away. "Sorry."

 

"Don't apologize. You have to eventually let it out," Joey sympathized.

 

"I will," Lance sighed. "So, how have you been?"

 

"Worried about you and my wife. She's been taking it pretty hard, too," Joey said. Lance said nothing and Joey knew he wanted to change the subject. "Johnny called today. He wants to meet with us next week and discuss a new tour. If you're up to it, that is."

 

"I have to move on, Joe. I can't just mope around here the rest of my life. The only problem is going to be that I have to take Noah with us. I'm not going to leave him with my mother or Alli's mother. I want him with me," Lance said, firmly.

 

"I'm sure Johnny will understand, Lance. He knows Noah needs some stability in his life, especially after what he went through. Just talk to him about it," Joey consoled him.

 

Just then, there came a cry from Noah's room. Lance excused himself and dashed up the stairs and into the little boy's room. Noah was sitting up in bed with tears streaming down his cheeks and sobbing up a storm.

 

"Noah, baby, what's wrong?" Lance ran to him and took his son into his arms.

 

"Mommy!" Noah wailed. "Mommy!"

 

Lance's heart sunk into his stomach. He held Noah tightly to him as Noah sobbed his little heart out.  "Do you want to sleep with Daddy tonight?" Lance whispered.

 

Noah nodded and clung to Lance as he went downstairs. He saw Joey getting ready to leave.

"I'm sorry, Joe, I just think it's best if I lie down with him for a while," Lance started to explain.

 

"Hey, I totally understand. I need to get back to Belle anyway. Call us if you need anything," Joey went over to Lance and patted his shoulder. "'Bye, Noah!"

 

Noah just sniffled into his father's neck and Joey tousled his hair. He waved as he headed for the front door and Lance began to start up the stairs. He went into his bedroom and laid Noah down in the unmade bed and then laid next to him. Noah snuggled closely to his daddy and Lance held him protectively in his arms, silently crying himself to sleep...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyl lance