"Look at me, baby," he murmurs, his voice thick with desire. He begins thrusting slowly, allowing her to savor every inch of him as their eyes remain locked in an intense gaze.

 

"Justin!!" She gasps loudly.

 

"I'm so close..." He whispers breathlessly as he begins thrusting into her harder. His head dropping down to her shoulder, his teeth grazing against her skin, biting down as she-

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

The alarm clock abruptly awoke Cherish from her dream.  She laid there staring up at the ceiling, her breathing labored, beads of sweat sliding down her skin.  "Shhiiiiittt!" she exhaled, trying to catch her breath.

 

She reached over and pressed the button on the alarm clock, noting it was 7:30am and continued to lay there contemplating whether or not she should close her eyes and try to "finish" the deliciously nasty dream she was having or get out of bed. She eventually  relented to get out of bed. 

 

----------------------

 

"So the hospital called me around six this morning because dad was freakin out. He woke up and didn't know where he was. I get there and he doesn't even know who the hell I am! So they ended up having to sedate him." Justin explained to his mother as he poured a cup of coffee. "Kathy told me they're gonna keep him sedated throughout the CAT scans, MRI's and other tests and she'd call me when they were halfway through." He sighed heavily and then added, "...I wanna be there when he wakes up."

 

Justin's mother handed him the creamer and went back to the stove to check on the bacon. "Do you want me to go back over there with you?" His mother asked apprehensively.

 

"No. That's okay, Ma. Dad's a fighter. I'm sure he'll be fine...physically. But, I mean you had to see him!  I didn't know his condition had gotten this bad."

 

"I'm just sorry you have to see him like that, honey. You seem more stressed now than you did when you first got to town. Have you been able to get any sleep?"

 

Right there and then would have been the opportune moment for Justin to finally open up to his mother about everything going on with him, his career, and bumping into Cherish again after all these years. But instead he chose to dance around the truth. "Not really, Ma. Once these tests with dad are done, I should be able to finally relax and come back home so you can take care of your boy."

 

His mother smiled,  "You want three or four pieces of bacon?"

 

"Just two" he instructed. "Even though I'm not playin I can't sit around lettin you fatten me up, lady!"

 

"Three won't kill ya." she drawled innocently, as she set the plate of waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon in front of him. "Now eat up."

 

When Justin arrived back into Boone, he bumped into Dean, one of his old high school teammates,  in front of the pharmacy.  Dean was heading out as Justin was heading in and the two began talking about Dean's son who was waiting in the car.  The boy was anxiously calling out to his father ever other minute that they were going to be late for his game. Dean explained to Justin that the kids were having their basketball playoff games over at the school gym and invited Justin along to check it out. After some coaxing, Justin finally agreed and the three of them headed over there.

 

------------------------------------

 

"Pardon me...Excuse me." Mr. Cummings apologized as he made his way through the stands to find a seat next to Cherish. "…I'm not as young  as I used to be!"  he laughed.

 

"Hey Daddy." she smiled, leaning over as he planted a kiss on her cheek.

 

"This gym smells like sweat, dirty socks, and chlorine." he frowned. 

 

Mr. Cummings looked down, searching through the droves of kids running back and forth down the court. "Where's my grandson?"

 

"The other team is yellow. His team is blue. He's number 15." Cherish pointed out,  before chanting with the crowd, "Let's go Huskies! Let's go!" she clapped.

 

As Cherish's eyes followed the player dribbling the ball down the court, she spotted Justin standing at the end of the bleachers. He had a hat on that was pulled down almost over his eyes as well as his hoodie which almost concealed his face. She tried to focus her attention back onto the game but found it hard to concentrate on much else other than him. Her father noticed that she was distracted and asked, "What the heck do you keep looking at?"

 

"Justin's here." she revealed.

 

Mr. Cummings followed her gaze and spotted him standing with a group of dads watching the boys play. He stood up and looked as if he was about to head over there, but Cherished grabbed his arm shaking her head. "Dad, he's just back in town to see about his father."

 

"The audacity of him to show up here like that!" he exclaimed. "How dare he step foot around here after he-"

 

"Daddy!"  Cherish cut him off, trying her best to quiet him down so the town gossips wouldn't hear.  "Let's just focus on the game, please."

 

"Cover him!" Dean yelled.

 

Justin watched in amazement as the young curly haired boy with the number 15 on his back sprinted down the court towards the basket for a breakaway lay-up. He scanned the bleachers and spotted Cherish sitting with her father, watching the game.  He decided not to go over and say hello. Especially after seeing how happy she was the night before with Bobby and the kid  and the fact that her father, who would probably shoot him on sight, was sitting right next to her.  He pulled his hat down further over his face and continued to watch the game with Dean trying his best not to glance her way.

 

"So what's up with number 15?" Justin asked Dean.

 

"Oh Cummings? That kid is a beast!" He exclaimed. "By the time he hits high school, he's gonna break your record for three pointers, JT.  Bobby's been working with him a lot, so...Come on Nick! Pass it! Pass it!"

 

The crowd erupted in applause and cheers as the curly haired boy landed his shot and scored two more points for the home team.  The other team soon called a time-out and Justin watched as number 15 jogged over to the bench to rest, "Grandpa, did you see that I shot I made!?"

 

"Yes! Keep it up!" Mr. Cummings encouraged, pushing his fist into the air and smiling.

 

Dean's son ran over to his father to grab his Gatorade bottle. "You guys are doing great out there!" Justin exclaimed, holding his hands up for a high-five. Dean's son was too busy sucking down the juice to noticed till Justin said, "You gonna leave me hanging, bud?"

 

"He still does that." Cherish said to herself, thinking back as she watched Justin.

 

July 1997

 

"Okay, Daddy. I made you a sandwich for lunch. It's in the fridge." Cherish said as she hurriedly wiped down the counter.

 

Her father had been sitting at the kitchen table reading the paper when he heard the loud roaring of ATV's approaching his freshly paved driveway. 'That could only mean one thing.' he thought to himself as he tried to act like he was still reading.

 

Mr. Cummings peered over the paper and watched as Cherish rushed around stuffing things into her bag. "You going out?" her dad asked, still pretending he was reading.

 

"Yes we're going swimming."

 

Mr. Cummings peered out the window and could see Justin walking towards the side door to knock.

 

"Good afternoon, Mr. Cummings." Justin smiled politely through the screen.

 

"Justin." Mr. Cummings nodded before burying his head back into the newspaper he was no longer reading.

 

"I'm coming, JT!" Cherish called out.

 

Mr. Cummings watched Justin closely as he walked back to the group of teenagers waiting in the driveway.  Cherish stopped in front of the oven and looked at her reflection, haphazardly throwing her curly hair up into a ponytail. Mr. Cummings set down his paper and said, "You've been hanging out with that Timberlake boy a lot lately."

 

"We all hang out together, Daddy." Cherish stated, trying to minimize the relationship. She pointed out the window to the group gathered outside, "It's Me, Caroline, Trace, Justin, and a few other kids from school."

 

Her dad folded his arms across his chest. "His daddy was a womanizer when we were younger and I hear the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

 

"Dad..." Cherish whined.

 

"I just want you to be careful is all."

 

"I will, Daddy." she leaned down and hugged him. "We're going swimming over at Greer Lake." She grabbed her towel and stuffed it in her backpack before running towards the side door. "I'll be back by 7! Love ya!"

 

"Have fun!" Her dad yelled after her, watching as Cherish jogged over to Justin's four-wheeler. She handed her stuff and climbed on in front of him and took control of the vehicle. Justin strapped her bag down to the back of the ATV and turned the volume up on the boom box that was tied down with bungee cords. Biggie's "Mo Money, Mo Problems" began echoing loudly as the group of friends disappeared down the driveway. 

 

Greer lake was the hangout spot for the local teens. Outside of trying to get a ride 15 miles into Memphis every weekend, there really wasn't much to do in town. If you didn't have a car, then you had to find something to do in a small town that only offered a bowling alley and a movie theater that played older movies as entertainment.   The kids had no other choice but to find ways to occupy themselves.

 

High atop the cliff overlooking Greer Lake, Cherish watched as Trace took a running start towards the edge of the dramatic ad knee buckling drop-off and leaped into the air, hooting and hollering as he descended into the water below.

 

She nervously watching as her best friend followed suit after Trace and plummeted down the side of the cliff screaming her lungs out and plunging feet first into the water below. They both made it look so easy, but Cherish was now having second thoughts about agreeing to willingly jump off a steep rock.   They had been having such a good time before in the lake without risking their lives. So why now, all of a sudden, did everyone want to be daredevils? She could hear her dad's stern voice echoing in her brain saying something about if her friends were to jump off a bridge would she jump too.  She was starting to feel apprehensive about her earlier decision and tried to come up with an excuse.

 

 "You gonna leave me hangin, Cherish?" Justin asked.

 

Cherish was so busy  panicking she hadn't noticed  his hand outstretched, waiting patiently for her.  A small smile formed across her mouth as she slowly entwined her trembling fingers with his own. His grip was strong and she was almost instantly calmed.

 

"You trust me?"

 

Cherish nodded, nervously biting at her bottom lip. "Yes."

 

"Then let yourself have some fun!" he shook her hand around to help loosen her up. "Stop worryin all the  damn time!" he teased as he tightened his grip on her hand and pulled her closer towards him. "Just hold on tight and let yourself go. I'll do all the worryin for you on the way down."

 

She stepped closer to the edge of the drop-off and looked down at the water, Trace and Caroline looking like ants as they swam to shore.

 

"You ready?" he asked squeezing her hand gently trying to reassure her that she was safe.

 

"Yes."

 

"Set..." they stepped back a few feet to give themselves a running start. "...Go!" he yelled as they both ran and leapt over the rocky cliff beginning their descent into Greer Lake.  Justin never let go of her hand. They fell, fell, fell, gaining speed. The wind whistled past their ears and Cherish no longer felt afraid or stressed. She was flying through the air feeling absolutely free.  When they hit the water Justin swam to resurface for air while pulling her up with him.

 

"Oh my God!" she screamed after emerging. "That was amazing!"

 

Justin watched the joy wash over her face and smiled."I told you."

 

 Cherish wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist as he continued to tread water. She gazed deep into his eyes and softly said, "Yes...you did."

 

He took his hand and tried to wipe the hair away from her face. Instead, Cherish let her hands run from around his neck, over his shoulders, and down to his biceps before tightening her grip. She leaned her head back into the water as Justin watched her closely. His eyes drifted from her neck down to the tops of her breasts covered by the bright pink fabric of her bathing suit. She leaned up, hair slicked back and her green eyes were sparkling like emeralds. He was going to attempt to kiss her, but Trace interrupted the moment by complaining that he and the others were starving and that they were ready to head back into town for burgers. Cherish wanted to stay a bit longer, so Justin told them they would catch up in a bit.

 

Cherish laid on her towel, staring up at the sky which was now turning shades of red, yellow, orange, and pink as the sun was setting.  She turned onto her side and propped up her head with her hand, watching everyone slowly pack up their things. She wanted them to hurry up and leave so the two of them could finally be alone. It had been days since they last kissed, but it felt like an eternity to Cherish. She looked down at Justin who had his eyes closed, still trying to catch his breath and said. "I had a lot of fun today. I haven't had that much fun in a long time."

 

"Well good." he responded, never opening his eyes, but reaching over and patting her on her leg. "If you stop stressin out so damn much, you'd find I'm a really fun guy."

 

"I always knew that."

 

"Then what's the problem?" he asked, opening his eyes slowly and looking up at her.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"We've been out on dates. We've kissed more than a few times…But you act like we're just friends."

 

"No I don't."  she defended.

 

"Oh yes you do!" he argued, turning his body towards her and leaning on his elbow. He studied her face before bringing his fingers up to brush away a few grains of sand from her cheek,  "You're my girl aren't you?"

 

"you're girl?" she asked almost in a whisper.

 

"Yes my girl? My girlfriend, my significant other, the chick I'm dating, someone I'm in a relationship with, my companion...I don't know how else to define girlfriend." He thought to himself before continuing, "Oh yes I do...my boo, my baby, my sweetheart!" Justin couldn't stop grinning as he watched Cherish turn red.

 

Cherish could hear Mariah Carey's "Fantasy" playing on the boombox. '...There's no beginning and there is no end, Feels like I'm dreaming but I'm not sleeping.'

 

She looked away from his and played with a loose piece of fabric on her towel before saying, "I didn't know you considered me your girlfriend."

 

"How the hell not?" he asked as he fell back onto his towel, frustrated with her.  He sat back up and said, "Everyone in town but you seems to know  you're my girl, so what am I doing wrong here?"

 

"Nothing. This is just the first time you ever said it out loud."

 

Justin got up off the ground and started making a proclamation to anyone who was still within earshot of them.  "Cherish Cummings is my girlfriend, people!!"

 

Cherish, who was now completely embarrassed, pulled on his shorts telling him to shut up. "We know dip shit!" Kyle yelled as they were walking away.

 

"Better?" he asked looking down at her with his hands on his hips.

 

Cherish was now covering her face with her hands from embarrassment and Justin couldn't help but laugh. He dropped down to his knees and moved her hands away from her face and said, "If you were confused about how much I like you or how much I like spending time with you, I'm sorry…Sometimes it's hard for me to express my-"

 

Cherish leaned up and captured his lips in her own, stealing all thoughts and words from Justin's mind.   She tilted her head, capturing his lips again, tangling her hands into the back of his curly hair. An involuntary moan escaped her lips as her continued to kiss her, sucking her bottom lip into his mouth and biting it gently.  Cherish soon broke the kiss and put her forehead to his and looked down before saying, "Don't break my heart."

 

He lifted her chin and looked deep into her eyes. "Never…" he responded firmly.

 

A dazzling smile crossed her lips as she said, "Then I guess I'm your girl."

 

She watched as he closed the distance between them, lying her on her back as he hovered over her, his hands planted firmly on the ground. She squirmed slightly under his gaze and held her breath in anticipation of feeling his soft lips against hers again, and when he smiled down at her longingly, she was lost. Her heart seemed to do a little flip in her chest. His lips parted against hers and then his hot tongue slipped into her mouth, tangling with hers in a tantalizing kiss that left her breathless and giddy. With his mouth on hers, she forgot everything else around them and didn't care who saw them. In that moment, they could have been anywhere, standing in the middle of a stampede, and she wouldn’t care, as long as he didn’t stop kissing her. His kisses were addictive and her excitement was growing, building like a raging inferno.  She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down against her body,  needing to be closer, to feel him.  Moments later it was Justin who was now breaking their kiss, trying to catch his breath and calm himself down, "We should go and catch up with Trace and them…"

 

She nodded in agreement and both reluctantly started to pack up their things to leave. Justin outstretched his hand to hers and waited, "You gonna leave me hanging?"

 

Cherish had just slid her shirt down over her bathing suit when he said it. She looked up at him gazing down at her and put her hand in his as he helped her up. "Never." she smiled. He leaned his head down and kissed her forehead gently before walking hand in hand with her back to town.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Over here, Caroline!" Mr. Cummings yelled, bringing Cherish out of her daydream.  Cherish and her father scooted over to make room for her to sit.

 

Justin spotted Caroline making her way into the bleachers to join Cherish and her father and knew it would only be a matter of minutes before the outspoken girl he grew up with would spot him and come over to cause trouble.    Cherish tried to concentrate on the game again and began chanting with the crowd. "Knock 'em down, roll 'em round, come on defense, work!"

 

A few minutes later Mr. Cummings turned to ask Cherish a question and saw her watching Justin as he walked out of the gym, never looking her way.  He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her in for a hug, "What hurts more, darlin? Thinking you should hate him or knowing you don't?”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

CHAPTER MUSIC:

Mo Money, Mo Problems ~ Biggie Smalls

Fantasy ~ Mariah Carey



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: vulnerablej southernj carsex trace justin threesome basketball reunion teenagelove teenageangst