Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay! Update! Papers done! Happy girl! haha sure. Enjoy!

I’m late.

 

Obviously I’m late, it’s impossible for me to be on time to anything in my life. But, for the record, it’s not completely my fault. We just got back from San Diego 2 days ago and I’m so behind with everything it’s unbelievable.

No excuses.

Daddy is going to kill me.  Thank goodness they have valet parking at LAX. I tossed the keys to the driver and literally ran inside. It would have been smart to wear sneakers instead of these damn pumps. Ugh, I’m so fucking late!

I finally made it to the international gate just in time to see Jake walk out. I rushed over quickly, hoping I could join the group giving him hugs without anyone noticing.

“Jules is here!” Jonas screamed the second he saw me and ran over to me, completely ignoring Jake, who he hasn’t seen in months.

“Hi sweetheart,” I hugged him tightly as the whole family turned their gaze to me. I swear sometimes I feel like I’m an outcast or something and Jackie is my fucking sister, that says a lot.

“Jules is here!” Jake mocked Jonas’ excitement and pulled me into a hug, “For fucks sake Jules, nice of you to show.”

“Shut up,” I laughed, holding onto him longer than he’d like. But shit, he’s my twin fucking brother and I haven’t seen him in six months! “I missed you, don’t ever go again. You left me here all alone to deal with these little fuckers all by myself.”

“The language, will you two stop with the language?”

“Sorry Daddy,” I answered quickly, finally pulling away from Jake.  I swear when my father uses that tone it makes me feel like I’m ten again and getting punished for something I more than likely deserved to be punished for. I see that now, definitely did not back then.

“Sorry Pops,” Jake smiled, “How’s it going?” he asked before hugging my father. I went in the opposite direction, saying hello to everyone else.

“What’s up Doc?” I laughed at my own joke as I hugged my middle brother Johnny.

“It never gets old Jules,” he answered sarcastically, “How are you doing? You’re in so much shit. Dad would not shut up about how you weren’t here and are missing your twin brother’s big moment because you’re so busy doing god knows what.”

“Shut up. He’s really pissed?”

“Oh, he’s really pissed,” Johnny laughed before pinching my side, “And for the record, don’t call me a little fucker ever again.”

“Ow, stop!” I laughed and slapped his hand away, “I wasn’t referring to you. I never see you either, college kid never around. You never come over anymore.”

“Says the girl who spent three years in Europe and left me alone with the fuckers. Who were even younger and fuckier.”

“That’s not true, Jackie’s seriously devil spawn right about now.”

“Are you talking about me?” Jackie popped up out of nowhere. Seriously, Devil spawn.

“Never!” Johnny rolled his eyes and moved away.

“Hey Jackie, how are you?”

“Why didn’t you bring Justin?” she asked, she doesn’t care about anything else.

I took a deep breath, “Why would I bring Justin?”

“I don’t know, I mean he’s like… your boyfriend so…”

“He is not my boyfriend. Drop it.”

“Ok, he totally is. Do you think he’d come to my birthday party?”

“No, I really don’t. And you need to stop or I’m going to tell Dad about that guy you were sucking face with.”

“The guy you were what?” my mother hugged me giving Jackie a chance to escape. I swear this family needs to learn to chill with the eavesdropping.

“Nothing.  Hey Mom how are you?”

“I’m doing great now that I have all my babies back. How was the wedding?”

“Good, it was really pretty. She looked beautiful.”

“Did it make you feel like maybe it’s time to find someone that…”

“Really Mom? No, it did not. Let’s focus on your son who just came back.”

My mother laughed and hugged me again, “I just want you to be happy darling.”

“I know Ma, but I’m happy. Don’t worry about me.”

“Are we ready to go?” my father walked over to my mother, not to me, with his arms crossed. He’s pissed, he’s made that clear, but he’s not even going to say hello?

“Hi Daddy, I missed you.” I hugged my father.

He wrapped his arms around me, so I guess you could say he hugged me back, not really though. “We’ll talk later, Julie.”

“But Daddy, it’s not my fault. I got here as soon as I could and I made it before…”

“I said we’ll talk about it later, Julie.”

I bit at my bottom lip to calm myself down. He drives me crazy sometimes. I need to shut myself up before I say something that gets me in even more trouble.

“I’m driving with Jules,” Jake put his arm over my shoulder and saved the day. Gosh, I missed him.  My life is so much easier when he’s here to save me from situations where my father likes to yell at me.

Jake, Johnny and I got back to my parent’s house before they did so we started on dinner. I really do miss my brothers. Jake has been gone for so long and Johnny is so busy with school I hardly get to see him.

“You must be exhausted,” I said as I grabbed an olive from the salad.

“Yeah, beyond exhausted. You got my bed all set up, right?” Jake asked with a smile.

“I do actually,” I’ve been so damn excited that he’s staying at my place until he gets his house set up I’ve had the room ready for weeks. It’ll be fun, just like old times, except no parents. Party!

“How did you get here so fast?” my father’s voice echoed through the house before I even heard the door open, “You drive too fast Julie, too fast.”

Every fucking thing I do, I swear.

“We didn’t get any red lights Pops,” Johnny said as he placed the salad on the dining room table, “We just got in.”

“In my office Julie, let’s go.”

“Coming Daddy,” I looked at my brothers and rolled my eyes before whispering, “He hates me, he fucking hates me.”

They laughed because it’s just funny now. I swear it’s been like this my whole life. I understand I probably deserved it when I was young and when I was an obnoxious teenager but for fucks sake, I’m twenty-five now, give me a break.

“Hi Daddy,” I walked into his office and shut the door behind me before going right to his drawing table and looking at his sketches, “That’s awesome. Is that for the new…?

“Sit Julie, come on.”

I sat down next to him and took a deep breath, “I know I was a little late Daddy but…”

“A little? Julie you barely made it in time to see your brother.”

“I made it in time. I got traffic and I had to work.  Phae’s people called me,” I paused when I saw the look he was giving me, “She’s a singer, like up and coming huge start and she loves my shit, my shoes,” I corrected myself, probably should not be swearing in front of him right now. “And she’s doing a tour so they want me to design the shoes for it.”

“That’s nice hunny, but you were late to see your brother who you haven’t seen in months.”

“I got there as fast as I could. It was just like a huge… I mean it’s kinda a big deal.”

“You know Julie, I understand it’s a big deal and I am proud of you. You know that, right sweetie? You know I’m very proud of you.” I nodded my head, “You’re doing a great job but you just need to focus on things other than your work. You know that I had to work a lot but was I ever late for dinner?”

“No Daddy,” I answered truthfully. I don’t know how the fuck he did it but he was always home for dinner at seven o’clock every night.

“And look what I accomplished. That means you can do it too. Work should not be your life hunny. I know you love it, but you need to leave it sometimes. It can’t be your life.”

“I know.”

“Alright,” he stood up and put his hand down to help me up, “I don’t want you being late because of work ever again.”

“OK, sorry Daddy,” I said as he pulled me into a quick hug.

“And slow down when you’re driving!”

“Alright,” I laughed as I walked out of his office.

“Tell Jake to come in please.”

“Surely,” I said before making my way back to the kitchen, “You’re up, kid.”

“Great,” Jake chuckled before stealing a carrot.

I sat down on the counter as my mom moved the veggies into a serving dish, “Did your father yell at you?” my mother asked.

“Uh… no. We’re good. How’s everything Mom?”

“Fine. So Julie, what’s this I hear about you having a boyfriend?”

I’m going to kill Jackie.

“Who’s spreading these horrible rumors?”

“Your sisters,” my mother smiled, “They said they met him. Justin… Timberland?”

I laughed, “That’s the boot company, Timberland.”

“Oh, is that how you met him? Does his family own Timberland Boots?”

“No Ma,” I laughed, she’s so cute and clueless it’s adorable, “His last name is TimberLAKE and he’s um, a singer. He’s not my boyfriend though, he’s just a friend.”

“The girls met him?”

“Yeah, well they were over and Jonas too and Justin had my sweatshirt I forgot in his car so he returned it. I couldn’t exactly make him leave so…”

“And he went to the wedding with you?’

Who tells her this stuff? Seriously?

“I didn’t have anyone to go with so…”

“Well Julie, we’d like to meet your boyfriend. Why don’t you invite him to dinner next Sunday?”

“Because I don’t have a boyfriend Mom. If I get a boyfriend you guys will surely meet him. He will come over any time you want him to. But I don’t have a boyfriend. He is a friend.”

“Well, alright,” my mother took a deep breath, “I don’t know what your problem is with boyfriends Julie, I really don’t. Your father and I have a great relationship.”

“Of course you do. Perfect even. Great role models. I just… it’s just not for me. I’m busy trying to get my line going and everything.”

“I know. I’m not going to nag. You do what you want. I’m just saying you’re not getting any younger and…”

My phone rang; it was like I was being saved. Thank you whoever is calling me!

“I know Ma, I’m sorry I have to take this.” I walked outside before checking the caller ID to see it was Justin, a smile found its way to my face without any control. “Hey.”

“Hey Jules, how are you?”

“I’m… ok. How are you?”

“Good, I’m good thanks. What are you up to?”

“I am at my parents house getting ready to eat and getting bitched at for working too much or driving to fast or being too late or… anything really.”

Justin chuckled, I could just imagine the smile on his face, “So you’re busy? I’ll let you get back to that.”

“No! Keep me talking so I don’t have to go back.”

“Are you going to be there long? I was thinking I could stop by with a movie… well I was thinking I’d stop by with dinner but since that’s taken care of…”

“That’d be great. But, I’m afraid I can’t. My brother just got home and he’s going to be staying at my house so…”

“Your twin?”

“Yes,” I giggled. It’s funny how that’s such a big deal to him.

“Cool, that’s cool. Well, I’ll let you get back to your dinner. Why don’t you call me and let me know when you’re free to grab dinner or lunch or whatever.”

“Ok, that sounds great. I’m just going to be kinda busy with my brother for the next couple days.”

“Yeah, that’s fine. Whenever is good. I hope to hear from you soon?”

“Yeah, definitely. Bye Justin.”

“Have a good night, Jules.”

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

I woke up the next morning and quietly snuck downstairs to the elliptical machine. I was extra quiet so I wouldn’t wake up Jake, I don’t know how he managed to even stay awake through dinner last night. His whole jet lag thing is going to screw him up for awhile.

“Hey!” I pulled my headphones out of my ears when I saw Jake standing in front of me waving his hands and laughing, “Damn girl, you’re in your own world when you’re working out.”

“Where were you?” I asked as I got off the machine, he’s wearing gym clothes himself and is sweaty as hell.

“Playing ball with the guys.”

“Don’t you sleep? How are you not completely exhausted? You’re like nine hours ahead of us?”

“Eh,” he shrugged, “I’m fine. What’s for breakfast? You got bacon and eggs?”

“I do actually,” I followed him into the kitchen, “I’ll make ya breakfast Jakey Poo.”

“Aww you’re so good to me Julie Drooley.”

“Shut up,” I threw an orange at him, “So who was there? Did you get to see everyone?’

“Yeah, yeah Kev was there, Brian… do you remember Mike Matthews?  I used to play soccer with him.”

“Not really, the name sounds familiar but I can’t place him.”

“Yeah well, let’s just get right to it.”

“Get right to what?”

“Right, sit,” he pulled the chair out next to him.

“What’s going on?”

“So I’m playing ball, or getting ready to play and this guy is looking at me like he knows me from somewhere. I thought maybe we went to school with him or something, he did look familiar I couldn’t place it. So he’s just looking at me and finally he comes up to me and he goes Hey Jake. I’m Justin.”

            Shit.

“So I say, alright, hi Justin, nice to meet you. And he’s still just standing there. So I ask him if I know him from somewhere and he says no and I look just like my sister. So I say, yeah? I mean we’re twins that’s usually how it works.”

“You’re a jerk,” I laughed.

“Nah, wait it gets better. I say, Do you know Jules? Are you friends with Jules? And Kev is there now and he’s laughing and he says, Does he know Jules? He’s banging her!’”

I laughed, Kev is a complete asshole, but I feel bad for Justin. He was trying to do the right thing and introduce himself and…

“So I’m thinking, there’s no way my sister, my twin sister for fucks sake is with this guy and hasn’t even mentioned him once since I’ve been home.” Jake continued

“We’re not banging.”

“Strangely, that’s exactly what he said.”

“Cause it’s true, it’s weird, but we’re not.”

“So he’s your boyfriend?”

“No, he’s not my boyfriend.”

“You’re not dating?”

“We’re not… not dating.”

“What?” Jake laughed, “You’re not not dating?” I nodded my head, “So that’s a double negative, that means they cancel each other out and you’re dating?”

“I don’t know what we’re doing. We’re just, we’re friends and stuff. We’re not… he’s not my boyfriend.”

“Right, I almost understand what the hell you’re talking about. You know, you’d think cause you’re my twin and we share all those genes and shit that I’d be able to understand some of your shit but it turns out that whole female brain being all fucked up thing trumps the twin card.”

“It’s just confusing.”

“I see that.”

“Shut up, why does it matter what I call him?”

“It doesn’t, you’re right. What matters is that I invited him to dinner with us tonight so…”

“You what?”

“I invited him to dinner.”

“I heard you, I just… you can’t just invite him to dinner.”

“Why not? I don’t know the guy. He said he met Jonas and Jenna and fucking Jackie.”

“That wasn’t planned really.”

“Well alright, then neither is this.”

I took a deep breath and moved to get myself some coffee, “Look Jake, I understand if I had a secret boyfriend you would want to know him. But I don’t, we’re not dating, we’re friends. I hardly even know him and to think that you can just invite him to dinner with mom and dad and…”

“Mom and Dad aren’t going, relax. It’s just us and Johnny… and Kev and Mel.”

I can finally breathe again, at least it’s not mom and dad, I cannot deal with that right now. “See, the thing is I have work to do and I can’t really get away.”

“That’s a complete lie, you told me last night you took the next three days off completely so you could spend it with me. But, if that’s the case that’s fine. Johnny and I will take good care of Justin without you.”

“Ugh, I hate you.”

“No you don’t,” Jake laughed, “Relax, it’ll be fun.”

“Oh yeah, tons of fun,” I answered sarcastically, “and thanks for taking it into your own hands and inviting him. Thanks for not checking with me first and…”

“You’re really pissed?” he broke in with a chuckle, “Jules, he met fucking Jackie! You think I’m worse than Jackie?”

“Of course not, please. No one is worse than Jackie. He met the kids by accident, it wasn’t planned. I don’t want him getting the wrong idea meeting my family and everything. We’re not at the meet my family stage.”

“Well,” Jake shrugged, “He’s gonna find out we have a weird family sooner or later. It’s better to be upfront with him from the beginning.”

I laughed and went back to the stove, “It’s true, it’s so fucking true.”

“Of course it’s true. J seems like a cool guy.”

“J? You call him J?” Why does Jake call Justin, J? What the hell? They met once, I don’t like this.

“That’s what they call him, J. Should I not call him that?”

“No, you should call him Justin.”

“Ok,” Jake looked at me as if I were crazy and threw his hands up in defeat, “Justin, is pretty good.”

“Pretty good at what?”

“Basketball Jules, try to keep up.”

“Oh. Of course he’s good.”

“Of course he’s good? What does that mean?”

“It means of course. He’s good at everything.”

“Oh god.” Jake said as he stood up and walked to the fridge.

“What?”

“You’re falling for this kid.”

“What?” I shouted before scrambling the eggs maybe a little harder than I needed to, “I’m so not falling for anybody.”

“No, of course not,” Jake laughed before mimicking me, “Of course he’s good, he’s good at everything.”

“Drop it Jake, seriously. Or I’ll spit in your eggs.”

“Consider it dropped.”

“Thank you,” I smiled before pouring the eggs in the frying pan just as my phone started ringing.  “Watch the eggs!” I shouted as I ran to get my phone in the other room, “Hello?”

“Hey, are you alright?”

“Yeah,” I laughed as I caught my breath, “Just running to grab the phone. Hi Justin, how are you?”

“I’m good. How are you doing Jules?”

“I’m good, thanks.”

“Good. So, I met your brother this morning.”

“I heard.”

“Ya’ll look alike.”

I laughed, “We’re twins.”

Justin chuckled, “Ya’ll sound alike too, he said that same thing.”

“Well, it’s true.”

“It is, you’re right,” he was quiet for a second before speaking again, “I didn’t know if I should introduce myself or not. I wasn’t going to but then I figured if I didn’t it would come back and bite me in the ass. And then Kev was there so I figured…”

“No, it’s fine. You can introduce yourself, I’m glad you did.”

“Alright,” he chuckled, “I didn’t want you to think it was weird or anything.”

“No, it’s fine.”

“Alright, cool. I don’t know if you talked to your brother or not but he invited me to dinner tonight. I didn’t want to be rude and turn down the invitation but I wanted to check with you.  I don’t have to if you don’t want me to, we can tell him I have to work or whatever.”

“No, you can come. I mean, I want you to come. If you want to come, you don’t have to though. It’ll just be Jake and my other brother Johnny and Kev and Mel… and us. Not my whole family or anything, oh god no. I mean, you don’t have to come if you don’t want to but… I’d like to see you.”

What the fuck did I just say? I have no control of the words coming out of my mouth.

“I’ll be there then.”

I felt the smile cover my face, “Alright, good. I’ll see you there then?”

“Sounds good. Bye Jules.”

“Bye Justin.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story