“You’re kidding…” Justin heard someone say over the lull in his own head. “When?”

He recognized the voice as his mothers’ and mentally kicked himself in the ass when he realized that now she knew what was going on. “I am so fucked,” he thought out loud.

“Justin?” his mother said frantically and rubbed his cheek.

“Mommy..” he choked out, hoping for some sympathy. “I’m sorry.”

He could feel the warmth of her tears as she pressed her cheek against his. “My baby,” she said and petted his right hand. The left one had an IV taped into it.

“What happened?” he asked into the air.

Lynn leaned up. “Why don’t you tell us?”

Justin shook his head slowly. “I just took some medicine.”

“Was it this?” she asked and held up the vile Joey had unearthed.

Justin’s jaw clenched. “Who found it? Was it Joey?”

“It doesn’t matter who found it.”

“That’s where it went.” Justin reached for them. “I need it.”

“No you don’t.”

“I do.”

Lynn’s voice broke. “I didn’t want to believe it but, you’re addicted.”

“No I’m not. I need them so I can get better. Please, believe me.”

Lynn’s eyes were red from crying but her condition was about to worsen. “I wish I could.”

“Mom…”

“Justin, we’re sending you to Orangedale Rehabilitation Center. They have a great OTC program there that I know you’ll love. You’ll be with people your age and you can start tomorrow. It’ll be just fine.”

“I don’t need-”

Johnny voice was obtrusive in their conversation. “You don’t have a choice in this Justin. Jive-”

“Fuck Jive.”

“Justin!” His mother reprimanded.

“Fuck you! And you can fuck your career too if you don’t do this.”

“Why would that be?”

“I don’t think you fully comprehend what happened out there today. You passed out, Timberlake. On MTV, on TRL, in front of millions, of people. They’re all going to want to know what happened and I’ll be damned if I have to say that one of the most famous pop stars in the world overdosed on pain killers. Do you know what they call what you did? Career suicide, except everyone on your under ticket goes down with you. Your friends, your co-workers, your fans, everyone. S what did I have to do?  Lie and say you collapsed out of fatigue.  Make myself look like the bad guy.  But I did what I had to do so save your ass cause I want to keep my job. Whether or not you do is the question.”

Justin was speechless.   “How long?” he asked timorously.

“Two weeks,” Lynn whispered.

“TWO WEEKS?!”

Johnny's eyes were still ablaze.  “You’re lucky it’s only that. Most offenders get four times that but we need you back before Chris’s vacation is over.”

Lynn looked at her son. “Honey, please go. If not for yourself then for me.”

“Fine,” Justin said and picked at the tape that bound the IV to his skin.

Chris knocked on the door to Justin’s hospital room which was slightly ajar, and poked his head in. “Can I have a minute…alone?” he asked.
Both Lynn and Johnny agreed and left the two NSYNCers to their own.

“Chris, I …” Justin began.

“You’ve done enough talking. Full of empty promises but you know what I realized? Empty promises aren’t empty at all. They’re full of shit and so are you.” Justin attempted to speak again. “I’m not done! What happened out there was ridiculous. You looked like an ass and you made all of us look the same way.” He took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair. “For the first time ever, I was ashamed to be a part of NSYNC. Truly ashamed. How could you do this?”

This time Justin was allowed to comment. “I am soooo sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking. How will I ever be able to make this up to you guys?”

“Admit you have a problem.”

“A problem?”

“You’re a druggie.” Justin’s eyes shot open. “Ya heard. I’m not gonna sugar coat it. It’s a fact, you’re addicted. Admit that.”

“Fine, I’m addicted.”

“Mean it.”

“I’m addicted Chris.” The look in Justin’s hazy blue eyes deepened as he realized hat what he’d just said was true. “Oh my God Chris, I’m addicted.” Tears pooled in his eyes…or maybe they were just watering. Justin couldn’t tell anymore and that scared him more than anything else. “How did this happen?”

“Just like everything, it took time. Remember the first time you had Oxy?”

“Yeah.  Back in ’99 when I bruised my rib.”

“Right now can you think of a time since then that you haven’t been taking it?”

“No.”

Chris nodded and bit his bottom lip. “This is my fault though. It was all so fucking obvious. I should have done something.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s my fault. I screwed up but I’m gonna make this better. I’m gonna do the two weeks in rehab and when I come back, no more Oxy.”

“Mean it?”

“Swear it.”

Chris smiled. “That’s the Justin I know.”

The doctor stood by the doorway, noting that the time had come for Chris to leave. He gave Justin a pat on the shoulder and exited the room. Justin had to get his rest, he’d be starting rehab in the morning.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: rehab