It was 20 minutes into dinner and still no sign of Jenna. Justin was mentally kicking himself in the ass for ever believing that she'd actually be anything more than a fair-weather friend to him. He twirled spaghetti around his fork a few more times and looked up. No Jenna.

"Forget it," he told himself and rose to throw his trash away.
That moment, his one and only acquaintance came sprinting into the cafeteria, panting and looking frantically around. He clenched his jaw and made a bee line for the door. "JUSTIN!" she shouted and headed for him. He picked up his pace. She sure had gone out of her way to humiliate him. He'd never felt dumber. "Justin wait!" he heard her again but pushed the eating hall door open. Damn his ankle for slowing him down.

She caught up to him and grabbed a hold of one of his arms. He wrenched it away. "Justin, what's wrong with you," she asked, winded. He didn't respond and kept walking. Finally, she leapt in front of him, stopping his progression with her body. Her eyes were riddled with confusion and her cheeks were a rosy pink, almost identical to the color of Britney's envelope. "Justin, I'm sorry I'm late but I was busy."

"Doing what? Laughing at how dumb I am to have thought we'd be friends?"

"If we weren't friend, would I have run after you? Would I have apologized? Would I have even bothered coming at all?" Justin looked away but his face softened. "I truly am sorry but I have something to show you. I know…this is why I was late." She grabbed Justin's hand and started on her way but Justin wouldn't budge. "What,what are you doing? Come on."

"If this is some kind of joke then don't tell it," he pleaded.

"No, I swear, this, I'm legit. Please, just come."

"Why are we in such a hurry?"

"I'm excited. I really want you to see it! Please." Justin didn't have a good feeling about all of this but he allowed Jenna to lead him back to her room. "Tara, get out!" she yelled to her roommate as soon as they got there.

"Why?" the youngin inquired.

Justin found out as soon as he came into full view. The short redhead screamed like someone had just killed her momma though Justin knew it was for him. "Oh God. Wait out here," Jenna said. Placing her palms flat on his chest, she pushed him just outside the door. Justin could hear the two girls talking on the other side of the door. One was calm and quiet, Jenna, and one was extremely fast and excited, Tara. The way Jenna's roommate sounded reminded him of Six from the old sitcom 'Blossom', but much more excitable. Not…that…he watched that show or anything.

A few minutes later Tara walked out of the room, heading for the common area with her hands over her face, probably to make sure she wouldn't freak out again. Jenna opened the door next and flashed him a smile, "Enter," she recited.

Justin smiled back and obeyed. "Close your eyes," Jenna instructed and grabbed his hand.

"Jenna." he said and took hesitant baby steps toward their destination.

"Justin, don't worry." She placed his hand over something slim and cold. "This is it. Don't open your eyes yet. Try to guess."

Justin didn't have to think too hard. Her gift was something of his that he'd grown quite attached to before having it stolen. "My crutches?" he asked although he knew. She giggled and told him he could open his eyes. Sure enough, he'd been right, He looked at her with gratitude.

"How'd, where'd you find them?"

"I basically had to fight Corky for them."

"Corky had them?"

"The whole time."

A new wave of anger hit Justin but it was short lived, he DID have a friend here. "Thank you so much," he said and gave her a hug. It felt good to show some affection for someone and have them reciprocate. That hadn't happened with anyone at the clinic so far.

Jenna hopped onto her bed and sat Indian style facing Justin who had taken a seat at her desk. "So how's your song going?" she asked jovially.

"Well I'm almost done. I just need to finish it. Just a couple more stanzas."

Jenna cocked her head to the side. "Wow, you have an accent. I never noticed."

"Of course girl, I'm from Tennessee."

"I know, I know but it's funny I never realized."

"It only comes out heavy when I'm being myself. Like, I can't be nervous or anything."

"Really? I'm honored then."

"Yeah, I'm kinda shy most of the time."

"You?!"

"Heck yea. I don't talk much at all."

"Well, no but I figured it was only because the guys don't like you."

"No, there are plenty of guys I meet that don't like me but never any like the ones here. They're just…cruel."

"Just try to ignore them."

"Kinda tough. Just a little bit though," he said sarcastically.

Jenna rubbed Justin's hand, "It's okay, you'll get through it. Like you said, you're outta here soon. You'll be gone."

"Ha, gone. I can't even hear that word the same anymore."

"I know what you mean. That was a hot video, just wanted you to know."

"Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We enjoyed making it."

"Justin, turn off the automated responses, you're not on MTV."

Justin smiled to himself. I guess what he'd just said was a little run of the mill. "Sorry."

"So what are you doing about the talent show?"

"Ha! Nothing. I don't feel like being crippled for the rest of my life."

"Who said that?"

"Corky."

"Oh God, don't let him scare you."

"Too late. My legs are too important to fuck around with."

"No, don't mind him. You're great. You know you are, the whole world knows you are. You'll bury all the competition."

Justin didn't want to sound conceded but it was true. He was 10 times better than all of those people. "Let me sleep on it," he offered.
Jenna agreed, "Fair enough."

"Well, I'm gonna get going," Justin said and rose to his feet. He looked down at his newly recovered crutches. "Hey Jenna, mind if I keep these over here in your room? I don't want Corky getting a hold of them again."

"So how will you get around?"

"It's not that far to my room and I'll just pick them up in the morning and drop them off at night."

Jenna grinned, she knew exactly what Justin was up to and it was a smooth game he was running, she had to admit. She looked into his sea blue eyes and matched his smiled. "Sure, whatever you need."

"Great. I'll see you then."

"Definitely."

With that, Justin made his way out the door and around the corner to his corridor. He'd though of the perfect excuse to see her during the day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. He smiled to himself and opened the door to his room. There wasn't much that could stop him now.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: rehab