“…So then he gives me a white rose and sings me this song he wrote for me. God it was great!”

“Greeeat,” I said, annoyed. What the hell made her think I wanted to hear he story of her and Joey’s first date?

I had to drive in the limo with Regina all the way to Tampa where the tour would be starting. I begged Chris to let me stay on the tour bus with them but he soon found out it was unfeasible and told me it was just a few hours and to just bare with it.

“You know, when I said I was cool with your relationship…I was lying. I’m not cool with it. As a matter of fact, I hate it. I….don’t really wanna hear about what Joey did or said to you because…I hate you both.”

Wow, how awesome was that?

Regina poked her nose in the air. “You’re just jealous.”

I looked at her in disgust. “Yeah. THAT’S it. I’m jealous,” I said sarcastically. Suddenly I knew what Daria must feel like.

“You must be jealous, otherwise you wouldn’t be acting so bitchy.”

“Well dammit Regina, I think I have a little right to be bitchy. You were the one always telling me how pathetic I was for liking Joey. I mean, you saw how they treated me, you heard what they said…”

“Yeah I did. I was just trying to get your mind off of Joey, that’s all.”

“How could you turn around and date him after what he did? I can see it so clearly now. You were just trying to sabotage-”

“Sabotage what? Your non-existent relationship?”

“It didn’t have to be non-existent, You…it was your fault.”

“You know what Abby? You’re right. I was the reason you and Joey never got together. And if you totally ignore the fact that he didn’t, doesn’t and won’t ever love you then I was, am and always will be the only thing keeping you and Joey from getting married.”

“I don’t even know why I bothered staying in the first place.”

“Okay you know what? I didn’t want to tell you this but, Joey and I are engaged.”

“Yeah, you’re real funny. ”

“No I’m not kidding. We’ve been going out for forever, since before NSYNC even got together. Sure we’ve been on and off…and then off again but we’re definitely on now and we have been for a good six years.”

“What about Brianna huh? If’ you’ve been ‘on’ for the past six years then how come Brianna isn’t YOUR little girl?”

“That was a mistake.”

“That? So now you’re calling her a ‘that’?”

“I didn’t mean it like that.”

“And a MISTAKE?”

“Abby, you’re twisting my words.”

“I wonder what Joey would have to say about this.”

Regina pinched the bridge of her nose and continued. “Joey and I got into a fight, he got drunk and went to Kelly’s to sober up…”

“And they had sex.”

“It was a mistake!”

“And not just regular sex,” I antagonized. “Baby-makin’ sex.”
 “He was drunk? And Kelly talked him into it.”

“Bull. Kelly talking him into it? Whatever. You’ve got it back-ass-wards. Joey made the moves on her. You know Joey, I know Joey…”

“No, you do NOT know Joey.”

“Just tell me one thing Gina, how come you didn’t just tell me? Why didn’t you tell me about Joey and why didn’t you tell me about Amar? Was I EVER your friend?”

“Abby, you’re still my friend and I didn’t want to tell you about Joey because I knew it would break your heart. I didn’t tell you up front because I didn’t want you to treat me differently but when I was just about to tell you, you came out and said you had a crush on him and after that, I just didn’t have the heart.”

“What about Amar?”

“I didn’t know about that, I swear to God and I had no idea they were even planning to do anything like that. I mean, I’d heard them whispering to themselves but I never thought anything of it.”

I pondered on that. “Have they been whispering to themselves lately?”

“Lately?”

“Since I arrived?”

She shook her head. “No, not really. Not that I’ve noticed anyway.” I bit my bottom lip. “Why?” I waved her question away. “I’m sorry about Joey. I really-“

“Forget it.”

“Chris is sweet though.”

“I’m sure.”

Regina moved to my side of the limo. “So what about that kiss?” she asked with zeal.

“What ABOUT that kiss?”

“How did it feel? What’s going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, is anything materializing between you two?”

“Nothing.”

She pouted. “Why not?”

“Because, I love Christian. That’s the only reason I took this job. The one and ONLY reason.”

She sat back in her seat as did I. “He is looking pretty hot lately.” I uttered.

Regina cracked a smile. “You think?” I nodded and let the smirk slide off of my face. What I wouldn’t do to have Christian’s arms around me at that moment. “So…call him.”

I snapped out of rumination. “Christian?”

“What?”

“Oh you mean Chris.”

“Yes, of course. I think he would love it.”

I shook my head and let my head fall back onto the headrest. “I’m not interested.”

“You SO are.”

“I’m SO not,” I assured her and closed my eyes. “The only man I want is Christian. Christopher Alan could drop dead right now and I wouldn’t care.” Regina giggled. “What?”

“Christopher Alan. That’s so cute. You know you’re the only one who can call him that. Justin said it once and he damn near took his head off.”

I could feel my cheeks flushing red. “Chris, okay? Chris. CHRIS could drop dead right now and I wouldn’t care.”

Regina took a dubious breath before letting her eyelids drop as well. I let out the breath I’d been holding and let myself relax. I hoped it wasn’t bitterly obvious that I was lying. It was true, I wanted Christian back but to say that I hadn’t felt anything when Chris had kissed me would be nothing short of a lie. I took a long, deep breath and let myself fall into complacency.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story