I awoke to the sound of Chris singing in the shower. The door was closed so it was a muffled, muted sound, especially underneath the lull of running water but still, spare notes managed to drift their way into my ears. I smiled and hugged the pillow that Chris had slept on and took a deep breath in. It smelled strong of his cologne, as I guess I did as well. We’d been all over each other last night. It was crazy and certainly never once like that with Christian. I sighed and rolled over to the other side, bringing Chris’s pillow with me. The blinds had never been closed so sunlight spilled into the room limitlessly. I remembered how beautiful Chris’s skin looked in the moonlight and how the lights from the city made everything seem so heavenly. I’d begged him not to close them.

I leaned over the side of the bed and picked up the glasses Chris had on last night. I wasn’t planning on getting out of bed anytime soon but when I did, I didn’t want to step on them.

The water shut off and I heard the shink of the shower curtain being drawn back. His singing continued but this time it was more choppy than usual. He would start and stop at various times to accommodate brushing his teeth and shaving what had grown during the night.

Chris walked back into the room in nothing but a towel and his necklace. His hair was spiked up form being wet and his skin looked so soft and warm underneath its thin layer of water droplets. He raised the edge of his towel to his face to wipe the water from his goatee before leaning over to kiss my nose. “Morning baby,” he said in a soft voice and sat at the edge of the bed.

I wrapped my hands around his waist and pressed my cheek up against his damp, clammy skin. He smelled so good. “Morning,” I greeted.

He pressed the button on the phone that was flashing a red light to let me know I had messages. He put it on speakerphone so we could both hear it. The first message played for us:

“Hey Abby, it’s J. I just wanna know if you know where Chris is. I know you guys went to dinner but I called his phone and no one answered. I called his room first, no answer and now I’m calling you. We’re kinda worried. Call me when you get this or have him call me. Thanks.”

We sat in silence as we waited for the next one.
“Hey Abby, it’s Lance. Uh, I think Justin called you earlier but I’m just calling to find out if you know where Chris is. And you’re not there so I guess not. Call J if you find him.”

The next message started with spastic breathing. No, the breathing was fine but there were just two people on the line. “Oh my God. Chris? Are you there? OH MY GOD, CHRIS WE LOVE YOU!…”

Chris shut off the answering machine at that moment and turned to me. “You see that? Everywhere I go, they find out. It’s like they all work for the CIA or something.”

I giggled and kissed his hipbone which was now sparsely exposed. I worked my way up to that spot on his neck that I’d found last night that he liked so much. I got the desired effect. His cheeks turned from a cool eggshell to warm pink in a little under four seconds. “You’re bad,” he whispered, his voice thick.

“I know,” I said and tugged on his ear with my teeth. A knock came on the door and I moaned. Why now?

Chris grunted softly then sighed. “It’s probably Justin wondering where the hell I’ve been.” He gave me a quick kiss and made his way toward the door, tightening his towel on the way there.

I grabbed Chris’s pillow again and hugged it close to me. This would have to do until he got back over here. I silently cursed Justin for having to interrupt us so early in the goddamn morning. The door opened and I opened an eye to check out our up with the sun visitor.

I went into partial cardiac arrest when I caught a glimpse of who was at the door. There, stood Christian, looking anything but well rested with a dozen red roses and a teddy bear in hand. Both of which dropped to the ground when he saw the state that Chris was in.
“Uh…” Chris was at a loss for words and I didn’t blame him.

I buried my head in Chris’s pillow and contemplated keeping it there until I suffocated. He bounded past Chris and into the room where he saw me under the covers wearing nothing but the orange shirt Chris had had on the night before. He gasped and put his hands over his face. “Oh , my, God,” he said, his voice muffled.

“Christian…”

“Don’t speak to me.”

“Christian nothing happened,” Chris said grabbed his towel to keep it from falling.

“You’re naked, she’s naked, I’m not an idiot.”

“I’m not naked, I’ve got boxers on.”

“Oh wow.”

I sat up. “Christian, really now. Nothing happened.”

“Nothing?”

“Well, we were kissing.”

“That’s why you have on his shirt.”

“I just didn’t want to wear my good clothes to bed.”

“Well dammit Abby, this IS your room. You have plenty of other clothes to choose from. I can’t even believe you’re sitting there, looking me in the eye and lying to me.”

“Whatever you think happened last night, didn’t.”

“Really, so you two didn’t have sex at all last night?”

“I’m gonna admit Christian, we came pretty close,” Chris interjected.

Christian shook his head. “You two make me sick, you know that?” He turned to me. “Especially you. You come to London shooting off at the mouth about how you hated those bastards from NSYNC, how you never even wanted to hear about them ever again and the second we come back you’re hopping into bed with them.”

“Christian, I thought we’d broken up.”

“I meant that little to you? That the second we break up you’re with another guy? There’s no grace period with you at all. You’re just a gold digging whore Abby. God, I should have known.”

Chris came to my defense. “How dare you say that to her. Don’t talk to Abby that way. She died the day you broke up with her and from what I’m seeing now, I don’t blame her for finding someone new.”

“Who do you think you’re talking to? You don’t know me. You don’t know what me and Abby have been through.”

“I know enough.”

My God. This was turning out to be worse than any prank, and stunt, anything that I had ever lived through. I prayed for someone else to walk in, something to happen so that they would stop fighting. I needed to get away and think about this whole situation all over again. But how would I get away? Where would I go?

What had I done?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story