I stormed over to the door, ready to open it and then slam it shut again, just to make a point but before I had the opportunity, I heard soft susurration just outside. It didn’t sound like only Chris and Lance, it sounded like all five of them were there. I’m sure that whatever they were whispering about would be more useful to me than I could have hoped for so I put and ear up to the cold wooden door and strained to hear what they were saying.

“..but does Christian know?”

“I don’t know, he probably does.”

The voices were so muffled that I couldn’t tell whose was whose. There was one thing I could decipher however. There were only four and if there were five, the other one wasn’t talking.  Why would they do this right outside my door?

“So what did she say?”

“…..just…..said to him. I never…she would do that though.”

Dammit. This door was so thick that I couldn’t even make out most of it. A few gaps were easily filled in by context but others…

“Then why don’t you just ….plan.”

Plan? Oooh no. No. They were not going to try to play another prank on me. The phone started ringing and I pressed my ear harder against the door.

“…s the best…be...all day.”

They went silent then as the phone rang away in the otherwise empty room behind me.

“Her phone is ringing.”

“So.”

“She’s in …. isn’t she answering?”

Shit. When had they gotten so damn smart? I backed away from the door slowly as to not disturb it or anything else. I ran to the night stand making sure my feet touched the ground as little as possible.


“Hello?” I said loudly to divert their attention.

“Abby?” I heard a warm familiar voice answer.

“Regina?”

“Yeah. It’s me.”

Oh my gosh, I couldn’t believe this. I guess the rumors weren’t true, she really had stayed with NSYNC. I heard a deep voice in the background and my heart skipped a beat. “Gina babe, we gotta go.”

I knew that voice. That was Joey! What was he doing with her and why was he calling her bab…oh, hell no.

“One second Joe, I’ll be right there okay? Muah, gimmie kiss.” I heard the slick sound of lips and figured he’d followed her orders. So THAT’s who was missing. “Abby?”

“Yes,” I answered, trying not to sound too upset.

“Sorry about that. So what do you say about going out a little later and making up for lost time? I’m sure we’ve got a lot to catch up on.”

“I’m sure we do,” I said and scratched my eyebrow. “but I’ll have to ask Christian if he’s not planning on doing something with me later.”

“Oh yeah, the Christian thing,” she said and laughed jovially. “Man have I read about that in the British tabloids.”

“..how do you get the British tabloids?”

Regina paused for a moment and stuttered a bit when she responded. “Well, I mean, Joe gets ‘em sometimes. He can order them or whatever…”

Now I had to think about that one for a moment. Did Joey get the tabloids to keep tabs on me or was he just getting them so that he could keep tabs on what the British had to say about his group. I no longer deemed them worthy to be called a band. They don’t know what a real band is. Christian, Mark and Ste…THEY were a band. NSYNC? Fodder for the masses.

“Hello?” Regina asked after a moment.

“I’m here,” I said softly. “What did you read about me?”

“Oh I don’t know. I just read about how you guys got together and how you and him are like Britan’s Justin and Britney which is remarkable because you’re not really that famous. But you’re famous now.”

“Famous? I am not famous.”

“You go out with Christian Burns for God’s sake.”

“Are you famous?” I prodded.

“Me?”

“Yeah, you.”

“…No.”

“Well you go out with Joey Fatone…”

There was silence on the phone again. I heard Joey in the background again calling her name. She shouted back that she was coming and hastily told me she’d call back later and hung up the phone. I pinched the bridge of my nose and pondered on this whole situation but before I could immerse myself too much, I remembered the discussion going on outside my door and ran over to it. They were arguing now. Everyone was talking at once and no one was listening to anything being said. I wondered what had happened to trigger all this.

“Hey stop!” I heard one of them say. Everyone did as he’d demanded.

“I don’t know how good of an idea this is …but it just might work…”

They all started talking again but this time it was out of excitement. I leaned into the door as hard as I could so I wouldn’t miss any of it.

“Hey guys!” I heard a fifth voice say. I recognized this one.

“Oh no, Christian, not now! Please!” I whispered to myself. They guys all took their turns asking what was up and patting him on the back. He’d just come to find out where they all were since they were supposed to be rehearsing together. They left with him a few minutes later without revealing their master plan but I knew they’d have to say it sometime and I was determined to be there when they did. I WOULD find out what they were planning and I’d stop it. One way or another.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story