Homeboy Memoirs ... Track Three (Not that kind of girl) Track Three (Not that kind of girl)

1998

Amanda walked through the solitary corridor, thankful and yet saddened that it would be her last time as a student to wander through it.

She knew she’d miss everyone especially the music teacher who’d taught her most of what she knew musically. Jessica, the sophomore, junior and senior cheer-whore, she’d miss because she’d learned whom she’d never become.  She’d miss the high school drama all together.

She’d promised her music teacher, Ms. Pizarro, that she’d stopped by after graduation to say goodbye. After all, Ms. Pizarro had been her mentor, the person who’d made her realize that she had talent. The talent of song. Amanda wanted to keep her promise, even if it made her late for her departure. After wishing each other luck with their new lives, Amanda made her way out of the school. She’d started to rush out of the school but couldn’t help slowing down and taking everything in, one last time. Shelby Forest High was marked as one of the things she had accomplished on her life checklist. She was ready to depart into her adult life. Her new life.

Her cheerleading squad, was one of the hardest things to let go. Her co-captain, Genifur, who’d been in a serious relationship with Julius Ross for three years, yet always found time to gush over her cousin. Sandra, whom couldn’t spell dictionary, if one was thrown at her but was always the first person to count on. Melissa, the drama queen with a sweet smile. Missy, the diva with an attitude. Janet, the motivator of the squad. Beth, the crazy party-girl, who never touched a substance, yet was always high on life. Mindy, the proclaimed nerd of the squad. She would miss all of the girls but it was time to grow up, find her way. She wouldn’t be the captain of the cheerleading squad. She wouldn’t be part of the Spanish Club, Drama Club or the Choir. She would be Amanda Reyes, the tour groupie.

-------------------------------------------

Seven men waited patiently or at least trying to be, on the bus. Lance and Chris, playing cards. Joey and Jc lay comfortably on the couch, resting their head on the backrest of the seats as they watched television. Justin and Trace sat at the makeshift dining area, the seat in between them, unoccupied. Each looking at their watches every five minutes during the twenty they’ve been waiting. The last man sat quietly reading the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, while lounging on the other side of the dining area.

“Can we go yet?” Lance asked from the back of the bus.

“Does it look like we can leave, Lance?” Justin asked.

“How long do we have to wait for Hellraiser?” Joey asked next to Jc.

“That wasn’t nice, Joe.” Lynn, the tour mom, said from the front of the bus, where she sat with the group of bodyguards.

“Sorry.” Joey apologized only to receive a smirk from Justin.

“Can someone call her?” Jc asked as he looked out the window.

“Already did. She got caught up in school. Talking I guess.” the man with the magazine responded. Nsync and their tour bus had been sitting in front of the house, for half an hour, having traveled from Orlando all night.

“She answered your phone call?” Trace asked astonished.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t she?” the man said without bothering to move his eyes from the article he was reading.

“I’ve been trying to give her a reason not to answer your phone calls, for years.” Trace mumbled.

“Shut up, man.” Justin said elbowing him.

“Tell me again why I gave you my family pass so that she could come with us?” Chris asked from the back.

“Because you guys love me.” Justin said with angel eyes and a smile to match.

“I beg to differ because I gave you my pass for Trace and I don’t love you.” Lance said with a chuckle.

“So, you love me instead?” Trace asked with a raised brow causing everyone to laugh.

“I don’t love either one of you and I still gave you my pass for Jeremy.” Joey said.

“You guys know you love me and my friends, so don’t be frontin. You would’ve said no to my request to stop in Tennessee to pick them up.” Justin stated.

“It was more of a whine than a request and like we really had a choice. Crybaby.” Jc said.

“My love for that girl is growing slimmer and slimmer by the minute.” Trace said. “And she’s my cousin.”

“It’s only been half an hour guys. She’ll be here.” Lynn said.

“You need some pointers in how to keep a shorter leash on that girl, Jeremy?” Joey asked with a laugh.

“Man, I’m going to get her one of those collars that zaps her every time she’s out of my sight.” Jeremy laughed.

“She’s going to whoop your ass when she hears that!!” Justin said pointing a finger at him.

“No she’s not cause she’s not here.” Jeremy said getting up and meeting Joey’s high five.

“I am here.” Amanda said stepping onto the bus. “The bitch is here!!”

“About time!!” came a six-part harmony that Jeremy didn’t join.

“Be careful with that mouth of yours, Amanda!!” Lynn scolded after the boys finished complaining about Amanda’s lateness.

“Sorry, Aunt Lynn.” Amanda apologized as she ignored the hoopla of ohh and ahhs from the boys.

“What took you so long?” Justin asked.

“The collar that I picked didn’t match my leash.” Amanda said eyeing Jeremy.

“Sorry.” Jeremy whispered only to hear a chorus of sorries throughout the bus as they mocked him. A group of laughter followed as Jeremy gave everyone the finger, Amanda rolling her eyes.

“You better be.” Amanda said with a glare toward her boyfriend. “Which one of you pigs saved me a seat?”

“Right here.” Jeremy said padding the seat next to him.

“Right here.” Justin and Trace said in unison, patting the seat between them.

“There’s a seat right there on your front porch.” Jc said with a laugh.

“Cute, Jc. Don’t fall asleep too deeply, brotha.” Amanda said with an evil glare. “Am I supposed to pick?” Amanda asked her three friends with a raised brow.

“Stop threatening the guys, Amanda.” Lynn said.

“I’m not threatening at all. Everything I say should be taken very seriously. Jc’s gonna pay for that little stunt he pulled at Lou’s house last month, Aunt Lynn.” Amanda said with a sweet innocent smile.

“It wasn’t a stunt. You looked like you needed to freshen up a bit.” Jc said with a shrug.

“So you throw me into the pool? You’re such a rectum.” Amanda smirked. “Don’t sleep.”

“Come sit with your boyfriend.” Jeremy said with a smile that never failed to melt her heart.

“Yeah right. You’ve had her for yourself all these years, bro. She’s gonna sit with us.” Justin said confidently. “Right, Jojo?”

“Can’t do it, boys.” Amanda said. “Can’t pick.”

“Why not?” Justin and Trace asked.

“Yeah, why not?” Jeremy asked.

“Will you guys, shut up!! Sit down, Hellraiser so we can get this puppy rolling out of great ol’ Shelby Forest.” Chris said from the back.

“Who you telling to shut up?” Jeremy said. “You better not sleep tonight either, little man.”

“So scared.” Chris said sarcastically while pretending to shiver.

“He’s gonna whoop yo ass, Chris!! Don’t say I didn’t warn you” Justin said to Chris with a laugh.

“That’s twice he said that, Lynn. You haven’t yelled at him.” Joey whined. “Not fair at all. He’s the baby.”

“The baby will hear my mouth in private.” Lynn said giving Justin a look of warning.

“Ha!!” Chris said.

“Whatever!!” Justin said. “Come sit already, Jojo.”

“Yeah, Manda. I want to go already before dad and Aunt Lily come out here and change their minds about letting us go.” Trace said with a whine.

“Do you want some cheese to go with that wine, little cousin? You guys are acting like I’m holding you up. The guy isn’t even done loading half of Trace’s crap on the bus. And I’m going to sit over in the front with Lonnie and the big boys, instead.”

“That’s a smart idea, Amanda.” Lynn said with a smile to the three disappointed boys.

“I’m a smart girl, Aunt Lynn.” Amanda said giving her friends a wave of her middle finger.

“Saw that, Amanda.” Lynn said causing an encore of the ohh and ahh from the boys.

The bus did head out of Shelby Forest, half an hour later, everyone quieted down, relaxing for his or her long ride to New York. It would be the starting point of the Nsync promotional tour. After spending a year in Europe, being what critics had dubbed “The New Beatles”, they were finally home. Amanda couldn’t be prouder of the group. The concert special, two months before at Disney, had launched them into the celebrity realm they deserved. She would never share how proud she was of them, with them, but she couldn’t help herself. She was proud to call them her friends, her family.

It had been a struggle during Amanda and Trace’s senior year convincing their parents to be supportive with the fact that they were going to go on the road with Justin, with Nsync. College would wait a year for her and she would take that year to enjoy her time off. Trace decided that college hadn’t been for him, instead he would take the position of Nsync’s assistant.

Having Jeremy, Trace and Justin for months at a time, all at once in her life was a Godsend.

---------------------------------------------------------
New York
January 31st 2002

The two women walked into the hotel’s penthouse suite, carrying multiple shopping bags. Exhausted after hours of shopping and shivering from the cold weather.

The pretty blond let out a grunt as she walked toward the couch located in the living room area of the suite. Hurriedly she took the uncomfortable high-heeled boots off, letting out a sigh of relief. (Click on the link to view Britney’s boots.)

“I told you not to wear those shoes.” The other girl said, comfortable in her white boots, which she’d gotten as a birthday gift.
(Click on the link to view Amanda’s boots.)

“Yeah, I should’ve listened, birthday girl!!” The blond let out a laugh.

“Just like your man. You don’t listen.” she said as she took a seat on the opposite couch.

“Speaking of my man.” the blond said. “Where is he?”

“I was with you all day. How would I know where he is?”

“You’re his assistant. You always know where he is.” she smirked.

“I’m his best friend who goes to college. If he wants to have me on his payroll as his assistant then that’s his business. Trace is the real assistant. You don’t see me running around doing shit for him, do you?” Amanda shrugged.

“He sure runs around doing things for you.” Britney mumbled under her breath.

“What?”

“Nothing. Do you know where he is or not, homegirl?”

“You know I hate that term.” Amanda said with a smirk. “He’s downstairs at the gym.”

“How did you know where he was Ms. I’m-Not-Justin Timberlake’s-assistant?” Britney questioned with a raised brow.

“Shut up. He called me while you were signing autographs down at the lobby.” Amanda said. “Let’s go down there.”

“Is Jeremy down there too?” Britney questioned with a raised brow.

“Of course.” Amanda said with a smile.

“Give me a sec. I have to put shoes on.” Britney said going into the bedroom she shared with her boyfriend.

“Whoever gets down there last has to be the other’s maid at the party tonight.”

“What are you? Five? And I am so not being your maid. It might be your birthday but it’s also my boyfriend’s and I need to cater to his needs, first and foremost.”

“I’m a healthy twenty-one year old, college student, thank you very much. And eww, too much information.” Amanda said with a scrunched-up nose in disgust.

“Healthy, huh?” Britney questioned as she finished changing into a comfortable pair of shoes. “Let’s see.” she said shoving Amanda to the side and running ahead of her out of the suite.

“Who’s five now? Cheater!!” Amanda said as she ran behind Britney down the hall.

“Come on Rob!!”  Britney yelled behind her to her bodyguard, as she ran down the hall.

Amanda made it to the hotel’s gym two seconds before Britney caught up with her.

“Ha!! Beat ya!! Get me towel for my sweat, Merry Maid.” Amanda said walking backwards into the gym, wiping fake sweat of her brow.

“What are you doing, babe?” Jeremy asked as Amanda came in the room followed by Britney.

“You cheated.” Britney laughed.

“I did not.” Amanda said with a laugh. “I have a maid for the night, do you need anything, Jeremy?” She asked before planting a kiss on Jeremy’s lips.

“She’s lying, Jeremy.” Britney assured. “Hey.” Britney said to Justin, who’s expression turned sour at the other couple.

“Hey, Pinky.” Justin said quickly removing the sour expression off his face and planting a smile on his lips. Britney didn’t miss it though, just like she hadn’t missed any of the other times, for the past three years. “What are you girls up to?”

“Just got back from shopping.” Britney said putting her arms around his neck and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

“What did you get?” Jeremy asked Amanda, as he sat on a bench, pulling her on top of his lap.

“I just got some jeans. Brit got the whole store though.” Amanda laughed.

“Some of the stuff was free, though. I can’t say no to free.” Britney said, her arms around Justin’s neck and her head resting on his chest.

“Of course not. I got us some bed linens and stuff too for the new apartment, Jeremy.” Amanda said.

“You know you shouldn’t have, Amanda.” Jeremy said kissing her neck. “It’s your birthday, you should be out buying yourself things. We can get stuff for the apartment when we get home.”

“I’m going for a shower.” Justin said abruptly, leaving the room before anyone had a chance to say anything.

“What’s wrong with him?” Amanda asked Britney.

“Who knows.” Britney shrugged. “I’ll see you guys, later.”

“Okay.” Amanda said as Britney walked out of the room to meet Rob. “That was odd. Do you think there’s something going on?”

“I don’t think so. We were fine just before you girls came in here. We were talking about the party tonight. We finished lifting, anyway.” Jeremy shrugged. “Do you have an hour to spare for your man, before you get even more beautiful for tonight?”

“Of course, silly.” Amanda said.

“Let’s go to the room. I’ve been waiting for your sexy behind all day.” Jeremy whispered in her ear.

“Yes, sir.” Amanda said with a giggle. “We should check on Justin on our way, though.”

“Justin is a big boy, Amanda. He’s got Britney and your cousin if he needs something.” Jeremy said not slowing his trail down her neck.

“Where is Trace anyway?”

“Somewhere with Chris, I think.” Jeremy shrugged “Come on, let’s go upstairs, I want you.”

“Well, when you put it that way.” Amanda said with a smile as she followed him out of the gym.

-------------------

After the party (4:03 am)

Justin and Amanda tiptoed down the suite’s hallway, each trying to make as little noise as possible. Britney and Jeremy were peacefully asleep in the rooms from which each had descended. Justin had asked Amanda to meet him after they’d all had gotten to the penthouse, mentioning that he wanted to give her last birthday present. Trace was undoubtedly passed out in his room, after having a grand old time at the party with several elite Hollywood actresses.

“Is Jeremy asleep?” Justin whispered as Amanda approached him in the dark suite.

“Yeah.” Amanda whispered. “Why are we whispering?”

“I don’t know. I guess you’re supposed to whisper when you’re in the dark.” Justin said with a loud laugh, clearly drunk.

“Who told you that?” she whispered.

“You’re still whispering.” Justin laughed as they walked toward the stairs heading to the second floor of the suite.

“You’re still drunk.” she stated with a laugh of her own.

“Yeah a little.” Justin said as he tripped on the bottom step, causing both of them to laugh loudly. “Shhh, you’re gonna wake up the peoples.”

“The peoples? You’re so drunk.” Amanda said as she took a seat on the couch located in the TV room.

“So are you.” Justin pointed as he threw himself on the sofa across from her.

“I’m not so drunk anymore. I worked it off.” Amanda said wiggling her brows.

“Spare me the details, Jojo.” Justin said with a roll of his eyes.

“So what else did you get me?” Amanda asked. “The boots, the necklace and the bonus on my check this month, was enough, you know.”

“The boots were picked out by B, the necklace, my mother helped with and the bonus was because Trace wanted a raise and it was only fair that I give you one too.” Justin smiled.

“Thanks a lot, homeboy. Glad you could think of a gift on your own.” Amanda said with a huff.

“I did.” Justin said lifting the gift bag he had carried upstairs, to her. “It’s right here.”

“What is it?” Amanda asked looking at the gift bag skeptically.

“Why don’t you open it and see, homegirl.” Justin said handing her the bag.

“Did Jeremy help with this one?” Amanda asked sarcastically.

“I don’t need Jeremy’s help, Jojo.” Justin snapped. “Not when it comes to you. Or anything. Ever.”

“Geez, it was a joke.” Amanda said.

“Not funny.”

“What’s up with you anyway? You were being a jerk at the party tonight.”

“I was not.”

“Yes you were.”

“You should talk, you were on Jc’s case all night.”

“I was not.”

“Dumping a glass of champagne on him wasn’t very nice.”

“Throwing me in a pool, fully dressed isn’t nice either.”

“That was years ago, Jojo.”

“Payback’s a bitch.”

“Tell me about it.” Justin huffed. “Are you opening your gift or not?”

“You know I only got you that watch, right? I’m a poor student.”

“You didn’t need to get me anything. I already have everything I need.” Justin said. “Open it.”

“I wonder what it could be.” Amanda said shaking the bag.

“I wonder.” Justin mocked.

“A ‘Celebrity’ cd?” Amanda asked with a raised brow.

“It’s autographed.”

“Are you kidding?”

“No, it really is.”

“You gave me an autographed copy of your cd? Are you serious?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re so thoughtful.” Amanda said sarcastically.

“Have you ever listened to that cd?”

“Do the Lakers make it to the play-offs every year?”

“Seriously, have you ever listened to it. Like really paid attention to the lyrics?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“You guess?”

“Is there a point to this drunken conversation, Justin?”

“Just listen to the cd, Jojo.”

“Okay. You got me something from Tiffany’s? What is it?” she asked lifting the jewelry box out of the gift bag.

“Why are you asking me? Open it.”

“Wow.” Amanda said when she saw the bracelet that was inside the sky blue box.
(Click here to see the bracelet)

“Do you like it?” Justin asked rubbing the sleep from his eyes

“Wow. Thanks Justin. It’s beautiful.” Amanda said. “Put it on me.”

“Come over here. I’m too drunk to make sudden moves. Like walking.”

“Lazy ass.” Amanda joked before she took the bracelet and handed it to him. “You know Jeremy is going to be jealous when he sees this.”

“So what.”

“You do know that!!” she said pointing her finger that was attached to her newly occupied wrist. “You got me something really expensive so Jeremy would be jealous.”

“Why would you say something like that?” Justin asked.

“Because lately you’ve been acting funny.”

“No I haven’t.”

“Yeah you have.”

“Like when?”

“Like today at the gym. You just got up and left. What happened to you?”

“I needed to take a shower.”

“You do know that you can talk to me, right?”

“Of course I know that but there’s nothing to talk about.” Justin shrugged. “So you like your bracelet?”

“Yeah, it’s beautiful. Thank you again.” she said playing with it once she sat back down, this time next to him.

“Did you see the charms on it?”

“No, Justin I overlooked it.” she teased. “Of course I saw them. A heart and a key.”

“Do you know what they mean?”

“You’re the drunk one, Justin, not me.” Amanda laughed.

“I’m just making sure you know what it means.”

“It means I hold the key to someone’s heart.”

“Yeah.”

“Jeremy’s gonna hate the fact that it’s from Tiffany’s and you spent so much money, but he’ll be happy to know that you were thinking of us when you bought it for me.” Amanda said sweetly, before giving Justin a hug and a loud kiss on his cheek.

“What?” Justin asked in shock.

“I said Jeremy is going to…”

“I heard what you said. Jojo that’s not….” Justin started to say only to be interrupted.

“J, come to bed.” Britney whined coming up the stairs.

“How about you get me a cup of hot chocolate, Merry Maid?” Amanda asked getting up and looking at Britney.

“How about it’s way past midnight and I don’t have to keep getting you drinks?” Britney smirked before yawning.

“Damn.” Amanda said with a chuckle. “I’m going to bed too, see you guys tomorrow.”

“Good night.” Britney said. “who gave you the bracelet, homegirl?”

“Stop calling me that. Isn’t it pretty? My best friend is so thoughtful.” Amanda gushed before heading toward her room, where she left Jeremy passed out.

“He certainly is.” Britney mumbled.

“Huh?” Justin asked.

“Nothing.” Britney said with a smile as she walked over to him and took Amanda’s abandoned spot. “You coming to bed?”

“I’ll be down in a minute.” Justin said kissing her nose tenderly. “I’m going to call room service so they could bring aspirins and beer with our breakfast.”

“Okay, but don’t take too long. Get me some strawberries please.”

“Sure babe.”

“Thanks.” Britney said getting up. “I love you.”

“Ditto.” Justin said with a wink, before he watched his girlfriend walk down the stairs to their bedroom.

Main - Next


 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story