Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this chapter took so long, a lot of it was typed a long time ago it's just that the inspiration to finish it wasn't there. Enjoy.- Kahli & Milla

Azaria

I don’t know where this little girl came from but I wish she would go back. Chanté has only been here for two days and she is already causing havoc in my life. She refuses to call her mother, she refuses to go home, and she refuses to tell me exactly where home is.

She sleeps in bed with me, after I told her that I was greedy with my space, and that she needs to sleep on the sofa bed out in the living room. She watches television all day. Her favorites are that damn Sponge Bob and every soap opera currently in existence. And the thing that makes me want to call Child Protective Services to come get her and protect me from her, is that she always wants a home-cooked meal.

Amir and I ordered a pizza two nights ago to “celebrate” Christmas, yet she went to bed hungry because she didn’t want to eat it. She said that she was used to a large meal every Christmas. I guess she chose the wrong cousin to runaway to.

However, all of those problems were minor compared to this morning. See, up until this morning, I hadn’t wanted to kill her. Up until this morning, she hadn’t been all in my business.

It was around 9am and considering that I wasn’t sleeping alone or allowed to explore and exceed the boundaries of certain fantasies, my dream was actually decent. It was a simple, recurring subject, but recurring more now ever since I had sexed Justin. Anyway, I had been sleeping, or dreaming rather, and then my phone rang. I had lowered the sound before going to bed last night so it didn’t really bother me. Last night, I had also told Chanté not to wake me up for any phone calls unless they were truly important.

As it continued to ring, I planned to let it go to voicemail, but Chanté felt that she needed to answer it. The little girl didn’t even know how to answer the phone properly.

“Hel-lo? Who is this? You wanna speak to Azaria? Hold on.” I felt her lean over my body and stare into my face. I had my eyes squeezed tightly. “She’s sleeping. Is this an important call otherwise I’ma be in trouble if I wake her up.” I guess the little girl has learned something while she’s here.

“Don’t wake her? Okay.” Good, now hang up and go back to sleep. “Do you want me to tell her anything?” This was the beginning of Chanté being all up in my business. She paused as if she was listening intently. I bet she wanted to hear every juicy detail. “Got it. So you want me to tell her that you shouldn’t have blown up on her when you knew she was going through a rough time and you’re sorry.” She made her standard ghettofied smacking of the lips sound. “Anything else…okay. What’s your name again…Justin? Aight, I’ll give her the message bye.” She slammed the phone on the hook so hard that it would’ve awakened me if I wasn’t already awake and staring at her as if she was crazy.

“That was Justin on the phone?” I wiped my eyes thinking maybe I was still dreaming and I hadn’t heard right.

“Yeah, who is that, your boyfriend?”

“No.” I couldn’t exactly tell her that he was only a guy that I had sex with.

“Yeah, okay. You don’t have to lie to me girl.” Um, no she did not.

“Look, mind yours, this is grown folk business.”

“Okay.” Chanté jumped off the bed and dashed to the door.

“Wait, Justin left me a message right?” She paused at the opening. However, she never turned to face me.

“Yeah, he did. But, he told me, and since you have yet to know what the message was about, and the message is still currently my business, and you told me to mind my business, so that’s what I’m doing.”

“Little girl if you don’t…” Her eyes widened as if she was having some sort of flashback.

“Damn, you act just like my mama. I could’ve stayed home if I wanted to be threatened and yelled at.” She cut her complaints short and hopped back on the bed after she caught me glaring at her.

“He said that he was sorry for trying to make you take that gift when he knows you hate the holidays-why do you hate the holidays?”

“My business.” She huffed and rolled her eyes at me.

“Anyway, he shouldn’t have gotten mad and he should’ve let you go through whatever bitch phase you were having.” What!

“He did not say that!” At least he had better not.

“He didn’t. I was joking.” She giggled, loudly and alone.

“What else?”

“Oh, he’s gonna miss you cause apparently he’s going away for a while?” Going away where? God I hate this, trying to get the 411 from a sixteen year old when I could just call Justin back. Sadly, I was still not ready to talk to him. I didn’t even know what I would say to him. Things would have already been awkward between us after that night and then I had to go and ruin the morning after. See, it was our first attempt at some type of relationship, and it was a failed one.

So maybe it’s a good idea for him to go away. I need my space to think. Lord knows Justin is always breathing down my neck. I can’t concentrate when he’s around.

“Can we go out somewhere? I’m tired of being stuck up in the house. I wanna go to the mall. Ooh I need a purse and some sunglasses.” Blah, blah, blah.

Hell, maybe I need to go on a vacation of my own. Maybe by the time I come back Chanté the Menace will be gone.

Justin

Who the hell was I kidding? I missed her already.

Initially, I thought taking a vacation would help, but it hadn’t. I also thought it would make me feel better, but instead it just made me miss her even more. The purpose of this vacation was to get a much needed break from Azaria and her numerous bitch fits. And I was doing a good job of not missing her until I opened my suitcase and spotted the gift that was intended for her (but she didn’t want) and…her lace panties. How the hell did those get in there? Flashbacks of our sex marathon rushed into my mind yet I was forced to end the fantasies quickly as my stepfather walked in.

“Hey Justin.” I stuffed the panties in my pocket and slammed my suitcase shut.

“Was that gift for me?” Which gift, the panties or the actual gift box? Did he see the panties? I’ll just answer no.

“Um…no.” I made sure to stuff the panties further in to my pocket.

“A lady friend?” He smiled knowingly while handing me a hot cup of Joe. I took a long sip. I really needed this to keep my mind from straying to all things Azaria.

Should I lie to him about my “lady friend” slash “lover” slash “sex buddy” according to Azaria? I mean he had been waiting for me to introduce him to that “special woman,” which is why there wasn’t any reason for me to mention Azaria.

I took another long sip attempting to avoid the question. I suddenly started chanting ‘I will not think of Azaria’ in my head to help ease the urge to pick up the phone and call her.

“What do we have to eat?”

My father smirked, “You can avoid the question, but those panties belong to some woman.” Shit! He saw them anyway. My face reddened as he walked out of the room. That was so fucking embarrassing! I feel like a thirteen-year-old boy caught trying to watch a scrambled porn movie.

I ripped the panties from my pocket and crammed it underneath my pillow, but then I realized that the material would be too close for comfort underneath my head. I could just imagine the dreams I’ll have tonight and that certainly would not make this trip any easier on my hormones. Nonetheless, I decided to leave them under my pillow.

~*~*~*~

I fiddled my fingers around my fork as I attempted to eat under the inquisitive stare of my father. Needless to say my attempt was futile. I tapped my foot against the freshly stained hardwood floor and focused on the drumming of my own fingers against the mahogany table.

Apparently my desperate effort to remain distracted also proved unsuccessful because my father reached over and forcefully slammed my hand down.

“Stop with that damn noise, you’re scaring Ozzie and Lola.” I glanced at the two of them with their heads resting miserably atop their paws. They looked as miserable as I felt.

“So…son, are you going to confess about the woman that is on your mind?” Confess? Am I on trial? I couldn’t even recall the last time my father had been this interested in my personal life, maybe because up until now I hadn’t had much of one.

“Yes dad I’ve met someone. We’re…” What, seeing-dating-sexing each other? Many options ran through my head as to how I should label my current “relationship” with Azaria, but after a few moments nothing came to mind.

I attribute this shortcoming to my last meeting with Azaria. Because…in my mind I had hoped that after sex Azaria and I would be sulking in the afterglow of our passion, but it hadn’t actually panned out the same way it had in my fantasy. I hadn’t actually expected Azaria to go into an “I hate Christmas” rant, I mean that’s why I was present, to make her forget all the things that made her unhappy.

“Where did you meet her?” I hadn’t actually met her; I just kind of bumped into her via my job.

“At work.” I wanted to keep my replies as simple as possible, without revealing too much. Saying too much would force me to analyze my status with Azaria, which in turn would cause me to miss her again, which I don’t want to do.

“Well does she have a name?” A name? I’m sure it wouldn’t be too much trouble to tell him her name.

“Her name is Azaria.” His eyebrows rose a little at the unique name.

“That is a very unique name.” Just as “unique” as she is.

“If you miss her that much maybe you should call her.” My conscious had been telling me the same exact thing since I got here. Who said I missed her anyway?

“She doesn’t want to talk to me.”

“How do you know?” Believe me I’m pretty sure Azaria got her point across with her last statement, ‘You need to stop trying to understand me because this thing we have…is just that a thing. It’ll be over in no time.’

“Dad, do we have to talk about this?” I suddenly didn’t have much of an appetite anymore, so I excused myself from the table and relocated to the porch. Not long after I had settled in a chair, my father, settled into the adjacent seat.

He took a long puff of his cigar before turning to me. I was thankful that he hadn’t bothered to continue our previous conversation because frankly I couldn’t stand to talk about Azaria any longer.

Azaria

I sighed in sheer pleasure as I pulled off my black pumps and massaged the arches of my aching feet. I knew these damn things were a mistake when I shoved my feet into them but I couldn’t resist. I let my head fall on the back of the wooden bench I found in the middle of the shopping trip that I was tricked into taking with the spawn of Satan. I let another sigh escape my lips and swiveled in my seat to look for said spawn.

I caught sight of her and the back of a tall chocolate brother who, just from the definition of his back, looked like he could put it all over a sister six ways ‘til Sunday. I sat up quickly as my eyes roamed a muscle-defined back covered in a dark polo and long legs clad in a pair of nicely fitted jeans. “Mmm.” Was all I could say as my eyes zoned in on a firm behind.

I let my imagination wander for a moment until I realized that Mr. Chocolate was a little too close to my baby cousin. The words jail bait began to reverberate through my mind as I watched Chanté giggle like a fool and swat Mr. Chocolate’s arm playfully. My temper sparked when he whispered something into her ear and touched her upper arm. I picked up my pumps and stalked over to the two laughing hyenas.

Glaring at Chanté I tapped Chocolate on his sculpted shoulder. She glared back at me with just as much fury and cocked her hip in an all too familiar stance. I knew there was something that linked us as family”a bad ass attitude. I didn’t care how good his ass looked or how hard Chanté rocked her evil eye; I was not going to let him play my cousin. No matter how clueless and annoying she may have been.

“Excuse me sir, I’m doing a survey on the type of punishment a statutory rapist should receive. I was thinking lethal injection myself, but most people aren’t as nice as I am. What do you think?”

My serious expression had little Chanté’s mouth hanging open. I knew I’d hear about this shit when we got back to the house but I didn’t care, she would thank me in the long run. I watched Chocolate’s expression which hadn’t altered since he’d spun in my direction. The knowing half smirk he was sporting had me wondering if he was one of those S&M freaks or just down right crazy. In either case, I had a firm handle on the mace attached to my keychain.

“Azaria, I’m talking honey. Weren’t you going to go pick up that thing?” Chanté gritted her teeth at me as I feigned ignorance. “You know that thing you had to go pick up.” She stressed the word “go” and proceeded to mouth “go the hell away” at me.

Oh I’ll pick something up alright. I’ll pick my foot up and put it straight in your…she is too damn grown.

“Girl, I already got what I needed to get.” I smiled as sweetly as I could. “I think it’s time that I take you home so you can rub cream on that nasty sore you’ve got,” I put my hand near my mouth and turned toward Chocolate to whisper, “you know where.”

Fed up with me, Chanté up and stalked off completely forgetting about Mr. Chocolate. It served that heffa right for copping an attitude and then trying to dismiss me like I haven’t put a roof over that big head or clothed that hunch back of hers.

“I take it you two are related in some sense of the word? Sisters maybe?”

I shivered at the horrible thought. “No. Hell no. Cousins.” I decided that was all that I was going to say to him because I knew a sad pickup line was coming next. But when I moved to follow Chanté, he reached out to stop me.

“Why are you trying to act like you don’t remember me?”

“Um excuse me?”

“We spent like two brilliant weeks together. Tell me you remember?” Is he seriously making this shit up just to get with me? How pathetic. He goes from hitting on a sixteen year old to trying to get with her older and more attractive cousin. I bet he doesn’t even know my name but he wants to act as if he knows me.

“I was talking to your cousin just to make sure it was you Azaria.” Aww shit! He knows my name. Maybe he’s telling the truth. I mean it’s not like I remember the men that I’ve dated anyway. They were never important enough for a spot in my memory. All of them were what I call void-fillers. Fill that empty space when I was lonely and needed someone.

So I took a chance on Chocolate telling the truth and studied him more. He looked slightly familiar. Yet, two weeks wasn’t nearly enough time to commit someone unimportant to you to memory.

“We spent a brilliant two weeks together, huh?” I questioned waiting for him to crack a smile.

“Yeah, fantastic. Until you told me that I couldn’t come over anymore and then you stopped calling. I haven’t seen you in two years but now I know that you moved.” Moved? Hell, I jumped on the first train back home to my father’s after our last phone conversation. Now I remember, he was too damn needy. ‘Azaria, I need to see you. Azaria, I need to talk to you. Azaria, I need you to come over.’ I need, I need, I need. Same ol’ broken record.

He was pre-Justin before Justin even existed to me. Always wondering why I’m pushing him away. Why I have a stonewall built around my heart? Where the hell are all the men that don’t want relationships? Why do I always attract the clinging ones?

However, I’m hoping Chocolate”I can’t remember his real name”doesn’t want to pick up where we left off. Please Lord don’t screw me over on this one! You already put Chanté on my doorstep.

“Anyway, I’ve been trying to get in contact with you…” I rolled my eyes. “My homeboy told me you work at that dating firm Cupid’s Arrow. I want you to hook me up with somebody.”

“Really?” I put my hands to my hips. I didn’t believe his act.

“Mmm hmm.” He dragged his tongue over his lips and I must admit, it was semi-sexy. Nevertheless, I had enough male drama in my life right now. I didn’t need to add more to the mix.

“Well, I don’t work there anymore so I’m going to go alright?” Not waiting for a response, I bent slightly at the knees to put on my pumps. Holding my hand to keep me steady, he pretended to assist me. I pulled my hand free and wiped them on my jeans.

“Um okay…bye.”

“It’s Lamont.”

“Yeah, bye Lamont.” I walked off as fast as I could and knowing that he was watching me I didn’t dare slow down as I grabbed Chanté up from the bench.

“Hey! That hurt!”

“Good! There’s more of that later since I had to waste my time talking to Lamont because of your fast ass.”

“I wasn’t being fast. That word isn’t even part of my vocabulary okay? Anyway, he said that he knew you. Is that your ex-boyfriend?”

“Something like that. C’mon on.”

“You should tell him to step off before your new man stomps him!” I couldn’t imagine Justin fighting Lamont for me. Not after our last fight.

“That’s not going to happen.”

“Oh.” Chanté started putting things in her brand new purse. “Well, does Lamont or your new man have a younger brother? I need some prospects for junior prom.”

“Girl please, shut the hell up!” Cousin or not, I’ve been waiting all morning to say that.

Justin

No one in this place deserved to inhale the air I breathe, yet somehow I found myself following my usual routine of walking in two hours late just to be stuck behind this same old desk and staring at the same old asshole of a boss.

You know when I quit a week ago I never thought I would be back, let alone back by request, accompanied by a big ass raise.

I leaned back in my chair with my hands comfortably placed behind my head and smiled smugly as I thought of the phone conversation I’d had with Ian. The bastard had come groveling back, much to my surprise. But shit, I was not complaining.

I let out a sigh of contentment and closed my eyes listening to the silence.

I wondered if Azaria had gotten the same news and exactly when she would be in to take her rightful place at the desk next to mine.

Damn, I was thinking of her again. After the Christmas day fiasco, I should have pushed the memories of her coldhearted ass aside but the visit to my dad’s did nothing to curb my pending need for her. In fact, it’s affect was exactly opposite. My attempt to put her out of my mind had only intensified thoughts of her.

So here I was being that usual pathetic punk ass trying to remember how her hair felt between my fingers, how soft and delicate her skin felt pressed up against mine and the particular noises she’d make when I’d put my lips on the side of her neck.

I sat up straight again and let my head fall on the desk with a loud thud.

This is bullshit.

I stood and made my way toward the door. I needed to take the longest walk of my life or get a drink of water and pretend that it was a stiff ass glass of vodka. I just needed to clear my damn head. Anything to get her out of it would do.

However, before I could make a grab for the door, it swung open in my direction and made a beeline for my head. “Shit!” All I could see were stars while stumbling back from the brunt of the blow. I instinctively reached for my nose, checking for blood and hoping it wasn’t broken. I was still shaking off the initial pain when my attacker finally spoke.

“Oh, my bad.” My attacker was none other than Azaria Richards. I was still trying to get my bearings back, along with the strength to open my eyes but I knew the voice and was well acquainted with the nonchalant tone.

“Don’t worry about me over here. I’ll just be nursing a concussion. I’m fine Azaria, thanks for asking.” I knew the guilt trip would never work on her but I had to give it a try anyway.

She lugged a box on top of her desk and began removing office supplies. Not once did she look up to acknowledge my existence. And that fact alone pissed me off. I was beginning to see red. Her ‘I don’t give a shit’ attitude was really wearing on my nerves.

“I said, ‘my bad.’” Her eyes never met mine as she spoke and continued to empty her box.

“Yeah, I heard that part.” I checked my nose once more and made my way over toward her. I took it upon myself to take a seat on her desk. She still hadn’t looked up at me but I knew she could sense me there. I was sure of my assumption when she hesitated reaching for a stapler on the edge of the desk that was next to my cotton clad thigh.

I was hoping that she had gotten rid of the monkey on her shoulder during our separation but perhaps that was too much to hope for.

“How’ve you been?” Small talk really wasn’t something I was fond of but if it got more than two words out of her I was fine with it.

“Better.”

Well that plan was a bust.

I cleared my throat and tried again. “How was Christmas?” I knew I shouldn’t have asked that even before I saw her back stiffened in response yet something inside of me couldn’t help it. Whether Azaria wanted to ignore me or not, she always reacted when pushed to the limit.

I heard her in take of breath to calm her nerves and made a mental note to block with my left and punch with my right if she attacked.

This time she did look up at me but the anger I was expecting to be there was replaced by an almost saddened expression. Aww great.

“That could have gone better too.” Hmm I wonder if I should ask for details…no I don’t really wanna know. Do I? No, I don’t need another headache or more of all things Azaria on my mind.

“Well, I spent Christmas with my dad and grams.” She didn’t ask, but the best way not to think about Azaria is to think about myself.

For a moment, Azaria watched me as if she wanted to ask a question yet wasn’t sure if she should. “What about your mother?”

“My mother is dead I don’t remember her much anymore.” Afterwards she mumbled a reply that I didn’t quite catch. “What?”

“Oh nothing…I just thought...never mind.”

“You thought what? Say it.”

“Forget it.” She proceeded to focus more on setting up her desk instead. That meant she was going back to pretending that I wasn’t there. Pretending that just a few days ago we hadn’t cross the line from mere coworkers to sex buddies. Pretending that if she wasn’t so damn cold and stubborn we could’ve had more than just that one night. Yep. She’s trying not to think about it.

I saw the quick glances out of the side of her eye. The way her mouth paused in the slight shape of an ‘O’ but no words, though on the tip of her tongue, were spoken. Then she plopped down on the edge of her desk, mad because I was watching her so intently, trying to figure her out. Oh hell, trying to figure Azaria out is a crime isn’t it? I almost forgot.

“Can you stop that?”

I smirked. “Stop what?”

“Stop watching me like you want to rip my clothes off!”

“Sorry,” I folded my arms across my chest. “…I can’t do that.”

“You make me so sick sometimes!”

“Yeah well the feeling’s mutual!” Why are we screaming at each other? Maybe because although we are grown, we sometimes like to behave like five year old children and start up a petty argument just for the hell of it. I know Azaria gets a kick out of it. She screams at me all the time for no reason at all. To be truthfully honest, I actually missed it when I was away for those five days. Okay maybe I didn’t miss the screams per say. Well, at least not those particular screams.

Suddenly, I was grinning and propping my feet up on the desk as erotic images took over my mind. I folded my hands behind my head and decided to get comfortable since I hadn't planned to actually work today.

However, it seemed Azaria hadn't received that memo. She walked over, pushed my feet off my desk and told me to stop daydreaming because we had work to do. Great we’re back to this. And Azaria’s back to being the bitch of Cupid’s Arrow. Let the good times roll.

“Justin seriously. We have clients coming in…like now.” She rolled her eyes and continued to empty her box that she had adamantly packed just a week ago with the notion that she wasn’t coming back. So much for that. And now she wants to act like the poster child for success at Cupid’s Arrow. Pshh whatever.

“Azaria?”

“What?” She slammed down her stapler.

“Why are we acting like we’re only coworkers?”

“We are only coworkers.”

“Can you honestly say that after-”

“After we’ve had sex?” She slammed down her engraved nameplate. I shrugged wondering if I should continue since right now, she seemed liable to throw some hefty desk item at me. When I didn’t reply, she finally answered her own question, “Of course, I’ve done it before,” she said.

“And the guys were okay with it?” I’m sure they had to throw a hissy fit or two. I mean sex with Azaria can do that to you. It starts of as meaningless casual sex that you are okay with. Then, Azaria has to go and do the usually male-like thing and brush it off and try to sneak off afterwards. She reverses the roles and leaves her partners frustrated like hell but craving more. Yeah it totally ruins the sexual high you are supposed to be riding into the wee hours of the morning.

“Not really but…” She shrugged. “I make the rules.” She looked pointedly at me. I guess she wanted to make sure I comprehended that tidbit. “This one guy did stalk me for a while. I actually had to move because of him.” She laughed while finally taking a seat at her desk. She crossed her legs, which caused her skirt to rise and expose a smooth thigh to my eager eyes.

“He said he was in love with me after three non-dates and two weeks together, puh-leese! I didn’t do anything for him to love me for. If anything, he should’ve hated me after the way I treated him. Well, I wanted him to hate me. It makes moving on easier. ”

I don’t know if Azaria realized it or not, but those last few remarks put everything into perspective for me. She’s trying to make me hate her so that when she finally decides that our “sexual excursion” is over, I’ll be happy to see her go and not try to force her into a relationship. I guess that’s how her game is supposed to work. Yet, now she’s mad at me because I broke every one of her rules. Oh well.

“So that’s what this attitude is all about, huh?”

“What are you talking about?” Azaria folded her arms beneath her breasts with no clue that I had finally figured her out and I didn’t have a headache afterwards. I’ll be damn.

“You want me to hate you? You pretend to be a bitch so that I can’t stand to be around you, right? Hell, you probably practice the lines you’re going to say to hurt my feelings, don’t you?” I laughed, actually imagining her doing that. She seemed like that type.

“That is ridiculous!” Azaria sat forward in a defensive gesture.

“No it isn’t it. You like to play games. You and I both know that. I mean think about it. Think about when we first met.” She sucked her teeth, clearly refusing to do as I asked.

“Although it is a distant, distant memory, do you remember that you were actually nice to me then? And you walked in and called me Mr. Timberlake. That turned me on by the way.” Frustrated, Azaria slapped her thigh.

“Would you get to the damn point?”

“Anyway, we were good together, well until you slapped the hell out of me.”

“You grabbed my butt and you only knew me for two days!” I didn’t mean it, damn!

“Really Azaria, we’ve already had sex, so that isn’t important anymore. Anyway my point is you act nice and sweet to get the guy you want interested, and once he comes sniffing at your behind, you turn on the man. Then finally when you allow him a taste, you snatch it away just as quick, with some pitiful excuse about me getting too clingy or me wanting too much from you.”

Azaria clicked her tongue against the roof her mouth impatiently, “Are you done?” She smirked. I fumed. Hell no I wasn’t done. I was just getting started. Still, Azaria was convinced that our conversation was over. She even turned away from me and towards her computer to prove her point. Finally, she continued.

“…Because really Justin,” She seemed to be mocking me now. “I'm really done with this conversation and you're bitching and moaning over sex that anyone could've guessed wasn't the prelude to a relationship." My jaw tensed as I pointed a firm finger in her direction.

“You know what Azaria-” Before I could lay into her, Ian walked in and I was instantly sick at the sight of his face.

“Hey!” He clapped his hands together. “Welcome back my two favorite employees.” Azaria and I mumbled our replies.

“How’s everything?” He looked back and forth between the both of them. Oh, cut the shit Stevens. He stood in front of us, surrounded by awkward silence.

“Okay…well, I just came to tell you two about the new upgrades we’ve made. Starting today, we’ll offer our dating services in a more personal environment. Basically, the staff will have face-to-face interviews with the clients rather than back and forth emails.”

Great, now I’ll have to not only listen to, but also sit in front of the desperate woman that is telling me everything about her ideal man as if I actually give a flying fuck. And why didn’t he tell us about these upgrades before he asked us to return. See, if that was the case, I might have not come back.

“Um…”Azaria began, her eyebrows wrinkled with confusion. “Just how personal are these interviews Ian?”

“Sorry to interrupt, but Azaria that is most sensible thing you’ve said all morning.” I grinned haughtily.

She whirled around and narrowed her eyes, “Kiss my ass Timberlake.” Ooh, I’m getting excited. She hadn’t called me by my last name since we first met. Meanwhile, Ian’s lips lifted into a grin as if he had been thinking some sly thoughts about Azaria’s remark.

“Don’t start Ian.” She began, facing him again, “I didn’t sue you for sexual harassment before, but I won’t hesitate to this time.”

Turning a deep shade of red, he cleared his throat. “Point taken.” As usual, whenever he was excited about something, he rubbed his hands together. “Well, like I said the new service starts today. You’ll each have your own separate client, of the opposite sex of course.” He winked.

“Azaria be ready in five because your client is already here. Read over his profile quickly.” He focused on me. “Justin yours shall be here shortly. I’ll check back with you two later.” Ian flashed the peace sign before exiting.

“He is so damn lame. Why’d I come back here?”

“I know why I came back.” Azaria replied in response to my rhetorical question as she pulled up her client’s profile on her computer.

“Why?”

“It’s simple.” She glanced in my direction. “I need the money. I haven’t ever liked any of my jobs but I always needed the money. So…” She shrugged her shoulders.

“That’s probably why I came back too.” I murmured to myself while Azaria focused on her work. Seeing as I had nothing to do, I stared outside beyond the glass window. It was a nice day outside. Yes, it was still cold and the snow had barely melted, but at least the sun shined.

“Hey, Azaria what do you think our clients will be like?”

“Hmm, well this guy is too damn specific about what he wants, down to the eye color. He even listed his needs. This is absurd, but I can’t wait to meet him and bring his ego down a notch.” A sudden knock intruded on our only tension-free moment of the day.

“Ms. Richards, your client.” Ian stepped aside and allowed in a bald, tall, Taye Diggs look-alike. The second his eyes landed on Azaria, he smiled brightly and I noticed the residue of coffee stains or maybe he smoked. Ooh man, Crest White Strips are a man’s best friend.

“Just the woman I wanted to see. I thought you said you quit Azaria.” Wait, what the fuck is going on? He knows her. Does she know him? When Azaria looked up from her computer screen and her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, I had my answer.

“Lamont! What are you doing here?”

“I need you,” He paused deliberately. “To find me a date.”

“I told you…” Shaking her head, Azaria drifted off with a frustrated sigh. I observed from the sideline and noted that these two had history. He must’ve been one of her previous male “friends.” Now, he was back and had requested to see her.

Aww shit. My competition had arrived.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story