Azaria

At eight fifty-five Monday morning, I entered my high rise office building. I was running late and in a hurry. The trains had been unusually slow this morning and my alarm clock hadn’t gone off on time. What was my new boss going to think?

This was my first job in months since I had decided to quit working for the model agency. That kinda life just wasn’t for me anymore.

“Hold it, please!” I yelled as I ran for the elevator, tripping in the process and spilling my briefcase on the floor.

“Hey, are you alright?” I heard a deep male voice say as he helped me up with a gentle hand. We were the only two in the elevator. Usually, I don’t speak to people in the elevator that I didn’t know, but I wasn’t thinking clearly.

“Yes, I’m fine. Thanks for holding the elevator for…” I stopped to look up at him, but he was gone. “…me.” All I saw were the open doors of the elevator.

“What the hell was that?” I asked as the doors closed, wondering how he disappeared so quickly without me noticing.

“Whatever.” I shrugged it off, reminding myself not to ever drink again before my first day at work. I bent down to pick up all the papers that had been in my briefcase and were now scattered all over the elevator floor.

“Shit.” I said as I glanced at my watch it was two minutes pass nine and now I was officially late.

I got off the elevator and hurried down the hall. Putting my stuff on my desk and rushing into my new boss’ office to introduce myself and apologize for my lateness, I was surprised to see no one there.

“Thank God.” It was a relief to see the empty office, except for a desk, two chairs and a few boxes.

“Ms. Richards I’m glad you finally made it.” I heard a low pitch voice laced with a hint of annoyance and suddenly wished that the floor would open up and swallow me whole.

I turned around slowly even though I dreaded facing the man I knew was my boss, the man who was ten seconds away from firing me….and fine as all hell!

“Damn.” I whispered.

“Ms. Richards?”

I came out of my daze to focus on what he was saying, but it was extremely hard to listen when his cobalt eyes seemed to be staring into my soul.

Not bad looking for an older gentleman. He looked to be in his mid to late thirties, but hey age ain’t nothin’ but a number in my book.

“Ms. Richards” He called my name again, I briefly thought about not answering him just so I could hear him say my name again, but decided against it when I noticed the anger clearly etched across his face.

“Yes Mr…” I didn’t know his name and I didn’t want to call him good lookin’.

“Stevens. Mr. Ian Stevens. Now as I was saying I have something to tell-”

Oh lord here it comes!

“Ms. Richards there has been a change in administration since the last time Cupid’s Arrow has contacted you.” He started.

And what the hell does that mean? I wanted to ask, but settled for just, “and?”

Why did I even ask? He was gonna tell me what I already knew, that my position was no longer needed so therefore I was no longer needed and he was no longer that attractive to me.

“Well I thank you for the opportunity.” I went to the desk to pick up my briefcase.

“Ms. Richards where are you going?”

“I thought you were firing me.”

A slight smile settled at the corner of his mouth, “No you’re just being reassigned. You’re not gonna be my assistant anymore.”

Surprised, I whirled around. “Wha-what? Are you sure?” I stammered.

“Yes. The company believed that you were overqualified to be an assistant. So after reading your profile, which by the way was…very interesting, we decided to promote you to a higher level where you will be working side by side with one of our best here at the firm. His name is something with a J, but anyway be ready in five I would like to formally introduced you to him.”

“Sure, no problem.” I uttered as I watched him walk out of the office.

I cannot believe this! What the hell did I put in that profile? I couldn’t even remember, but he had said it was very interesting, so it must’ve been some hot shit. I wonder what my new position entitles me to do because before I was just gonna be an assistant, you know doing the usual things. But with this being a dating firm, I couldn’t help but feel giddy at the possibility of “matchmaking” I had never felt this good working at the modeling agency as a talent scout and this was only my first day. I love this job.

“Ms. Richards?”

“I’m coming!” I clutched my briefcase under my arm and hurried out the room.

Justin

I strolled into my office an hour late, but it didn’t matter because no one ever notices me around here. I usually walk in late everyday and no one gives a shit, I wonder if they even know that I’ve been working here for the last two years. “Probably not.” I didn’t care as long as I still received my pay check every Friday.

I slumped into my oversized chair and rolled myself over to the desk that held my computer. I bumped my computer out of sleep mode and watched as the monitor slowly revealed a desktop photo of my dog, Lola. And it’s true whatever Lola wants, Lola gets.

Nine-fifteen, not bad-

“Mr. Timberlake?”

The voice was low in tone, but definitely feminine. I shoved my briefcase onto the floor. “I’m here!” I raised my arms, surrendering. I see that ol’ Mr. Stevens finally sent someone to check on me after two freaking years.

“Okay I’m…” My voice trailed off as I stared at the young African-American woman in the doorway, staring up at her helplessly from my seat. Say something dumbass! But I couldn’t, something about her brown eyes, tied my tongue.

“Mr. Stevens did tell you about this?” Her voice interrupted my open admiration as she enunciated her words slowly, as if I didn’t understand English.

I stood up quickly realizing my mistake. She wasn’t one of Ian’s luscious assistants as I previously assumed. Then who is she? Who cares who she is? The real question is can I get her digits? I’m not a player. I just would like to get to know her on a personal level outside of work, but I wonder why I’ve never seen her around the building. I’m sure I would have remembered such a pretty face and a nice body.

“Well Ms. Richards I see you’ve met Jason.” Mr. Stevens suddenly stepped into my office.

The bastard never got my name right, not even when he hired me. “It’s Justin.”

“That’s what I said.” He waved his hand dismissing me and turning back to Ms. Richards. I too turned to Ms. Richards, the very fine Ms. Richards.

“James this Azaria Richards.” He was messing up my name again and didn’t even know it.

“Justin.”

He shot me a glare, “I said that. Gee, would you rather I call you Jack?”

“You have.” I mumbled. Since the two years I’ve been working here, he had managed to call me every male name starting with a J but Justin, never once repeating one.

“Anyway Ms. Richards is new to cupid’s arrow and she will be working closely with you on identifying people who are likely to have a successful relationship. Both of you will look over several personal profiles on a daily basis until we come up with a successful number of “match made in heaven” relationships. Jeff show her around the ropes.” With that said he left out of the room leaving the two of us alone.

“Does he ever get your name right?” She laughed heartily. Why was that funny anyway?

“No he doesn’t.” I replied simply.

“I had to tell him my name almost ten times on the elevator and another ten while walking down the hall.”

“What is it again?”

“Azaria.” She had a smooth way of saying her name. I liked it and I liked her. Everything about her from the sassy attitude she exuded to the way she wore her hair, resting on her shoulders.

“So you’re new?” I went back to my desk trying to keep my attention off her curvaceous ass as she walked over to the empty desk. Why hadn’t I noticed that desk before?

“Yeah I was promoted to this position this morning. You probably won’t believe this, but I was actually supposed to be Ian’s assistant at first, but he said the company enjoyed my profile so much that I am now going to be a consultant like you.”

My jaw dropped in utter shock. It had taken me at least six months to get where I am and in one day we were already on the same level. Un-fucking-believable!

Azaria

I leaned my elbows on my desk watching him from across the room as his fingers steadily moved across the keyboard. Did he forget I was here? After I had told him about how I ended up working with him, he rolled back over to his desk. And that was two hours ago! But I wasn’t going to let him ignore me anymore.

“Mr. Timberlake?” I rose from my seat, crossing the room and leaning over his shoulder to see what had him so entranced on the computer.

I noticed the way his shoulders suddenly hunched the closer I moved toward him.

“Yes Ms. Richards?” He looked up at me, but quickly moved away. I bet he didn’t know I was all up in his grill.

“Ahem.” I cleared my throat as I saw his eyes drift toward my generous bosom, but bounced back to my face when I tapped my hand against his desk. Yes, I was working with a little something up top, but I didn’t want him noticing. Even if he was a cutie.

“Uh…yes how may I help you Ms. Richards?”

“I need something to do. This is my first day and I have nothing to show for it.” I thought I was going to love this job, I mean, who wouldn’t enjoy being a matchmaker? But now I feel useless and I want to be used damnit! Wait not like that.

“What are you doing?” I asked peering at the computer, making sure to keep my breast out of his view.

“I’m looking over a profile so I can set this client up on a date.”

“Loveless Irish? That’s an interesting name. Forty-two, unlucky in the love department, and desperate to find that special person. Hmm? Well the first thing you might want to change is the desperate part. No woman wants to date a guy that is desperate, that screams psycho!” Ooh I love this already. I wanted to see more profiles and make some changes, so I casually coerced Mr. Timberlake out of his seat, by bumping him with my hip.

“Can you go hook up my lap top for me? So I can do this on my own computer.” I was giddy with excitement as I took his vacated seat.

I looked up at him. “What?” Why was he still standing here watching me with his mouth open?

“Thank you Mr. Timberlake…Justin.” The formal shit was a little too much for me.

“No problem.” He didn’t appear to be too happy as he began setting up my stuff. Maybe because I was invading his personal space, but who gives a damn, he makes more money than I do, I’m sure.

“You can call me Azaria not Ms. Richards.”

He nodded, smiling over his shoulder at me. Nice smile I thought. I turned my attention back to the screen.

I suddenly started laughing loudly. “Great in the sack? Who puts that in their profile? That’s like saying I’m easy. No wonder she calls herself one in six billion. She’s probably the one woman on earth who’s done six billion men.” Whew! This was hilarious. Did I say how much I love this job? I get paid to laugh, how great is that?

“Funny.” I heard Justin say. Even he had to laugh at this woman. I turned around to agree with him, but found myself at a loss for words.

Justin crawled under the project table on his hands and knees. And I couldn’t resist a quick peek. Long, slim legs extending up into…not bad for a white boy. Not bad at all. When he backed out and turned to me I redirected my attention back to the computer screen innocently.

“All done,” He announced, rubbing his hands together.

“Thanks.” I mumbled brushing past him.

Justin

Oh my God! I slouched down in my seat and groaned.

“What’s wrong?” I quickly straightened my posture when I heard her voice.

“Nothing Ms...Azaria.” I was lying, there was definitely something. That body of hers was something and so was that laugh. As I hooked up her equipment I found myself listening with an open ear for the sound of her laughter. It was like music to my ears. We’ve only been in the same room for two and a half hours and I already wanted to jump her bones!

And that business suit! I never knew that a three-piece business suit could be that sexy on a woman. She was working it though. Probably because her boobs were spilling out of that buttoned up top she called a shirt. But I wasn’t complaining; gravity was on my side.

“Oh!” I suddenly bellowed.

“What is wrong with you?” She abruptly stood up holding her hand to her chest.

“Sorry.”

She nodded, but shot me a glare, “Scared me half to death.”

I flashed her a rare smile and turned back to the profile I was reading. I screamed because I had remembered how she had casually forced me out of my seat, by bumping me with her ass, not her hip. Her ass felt so soft against my arm, made me wanna give it a little smack to test it. But I had to control my hormones before she thought I was some “psycho” like loveless Irish.

When will this day end?

It was five o’clock and the dreaded day had finally ended. I guess I should be throwing a party, but the truth is I didn’t want the day to end as much as I did before. Azaria and I had a great time talking to each other. I even found out some personal details about her that I think she really didn’t want me to know. Like the fact that she sung to herself when she thought I wasn’t paying attention, but I was and she had a nice voice. Why do I keep complimenting her? So what if she has a nice ass, nice rack, and a nice voice?

“You all ready to head out?”

“I’m getting there.” I didn’t bother to turn around because I knew that she was leaning over her desk trying to unplug her laptop, confirmed by the sounds of shuffling. I didn’t want to get another picture of the way that skirt so deliciously molded around her…well maybe a picture for the road. Damn I missed it! She had already buttoned up her coat.

“Wait! I forgot to tell you something.” I wasn’t lying this time. I did have something to tell her.

“You have to do a log of your progress for the day, which client profiles you reviewed and such.”

A smile formed on her face. “It’s done. It was nice meeting you Justin. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.” With that said she sashayed out of the office, leaving the door open so I could watch her walk away. Why do I have a feeling she did that on purpose? Thanks Azaria.

Monday Sept 19, 2005 @ 5:02 p.m.

J. Timberlake signing in at five in the evening.

I went over a few clients’ profiles today with my new partner Ms. Azaria Richards. She’s a great addition to the company by the way. Well, I basically spent the day looking over the profiles of mystery-man and like-a-Sunday-morning, who by the way is more like a Wednesday afternoon. I have a few possible ideas for those two clients and some others.

J. Timberlake signing out at ten minutes after five.

Once I was done I logged out of my computer and packed up my stuff. As I walked out the door I wondered if I would be prepared to see Azaria again. I guess I better bring my A game.

back next

Name: Email Address:
web form generator


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story