Justin

“Hey Justin!” Oh God, his face was definitely not the first face I wanted to see this morning. After two miserable weeks of dealing with an unresponsive woman I just wanted to go into my corner by the window and stare at the wall. I didn’t even feel like looking through the profiles that Ian assigned to me.

Azaria had completely ignored me for two whole weeks and I didn’t know why. When I would talk to her she would just answer simply with a yes or no, nothing more. What could have happened between the time we had finished eating and today? Granted, I had copped one feel too many, but I thought she had gotten over that. I mean she wasn’t even mad at me the last time I touched her, so what the fuck is going on?

Colin followed me into the cafeteria even as I picked up my pace to avoid him. “Colin I just want to eat my breakfast in peace.”

“I just wanted to know how you and Azaria were doing on that project because the company Christmas party is coming up and the two of you have been assigned to do a presentation.” Wait why was he telling me this instead of Ian? I swear Ian thinks that we are the only two people that work at this firm! We get all the damn projects. I don’t know about Azaria but my creativity is not free. I better get a Christmas bonus this year.

“Well what does he want us to do this time?” Azaria was gonna flip! We hadn’t worked together side by side in two weeks. Most of the time she would do her own thing and hand it over to me to make any changes or suggestions.

“You remember that compatibility test Ian did on you and Azaria last week?”

“Yes.” How could I forget? That’s when Azaria went from ignoring me to becoming completely impassive. Azaria and I were doing completely fine without a stupid test dictating our compatibility. And I’m sure she didn’t appreciate being labeled as a stubborn bull while I on the other hand was labeled as unpredictable. However, the test was right on the nose even if we didn’t want to believe it. I clearly remember the look on Azaria face when Ian had read our compatibility rating in front of the entire staff.

We were all sitting around the table in the conference room wondering why Ian had called another impromptu meeting for the third time that week. Azaria was sitting across from me with her eyes directed toward the table. I wanted her to stop ignoring me so I reached my foot over to tap hers. She looked up at me with a glare.

“You almost put a run in my stockings.” She whispered.

I smiled brightly. That was the first time she had said more than three words to me. “I’m sorry. I just wanted to ask you if you knew why we were in this meeting.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “When do we ever know what the hell that man has in his head?”

“Ms. Richards if you and Jake are done I would like to begin the meeting.” He didn’t appear angry just annoyed. But Azaria wasn’t fazed by his irritation she just rolled her eyes in reply.

I heard some snickers come from the far end of the table, but I kept my attention on Ian.

“Okay some of you may be wondering why I called this meeting.” Good job Ian.

“Given, the new proposal assigned to Ms. Richards and Jeremy, I’ve decided to test the success of their proposal by arranging to experiment the compatibility assessment on the staff here at the firm.” What the hell was he talking about? When Azaria and I had decided to propose that Cupid’s Arrow start rating the compatibility of the clients we meant for it to be for the clients not for the staff.

“Uh…Mr. Stevens? What good would experimentation on the staff do?” Ironically, I actually agreed with Colin. However, I wasn’t stupid enough to actually voice my difference of opinion.

“Colin let me remind you that you are my assistant.” And that is why I didn’t say anything. I guarantee that this time next year Colin won’t be here.

“Sorry sir.”

Ian nodded his head in approval. “Before you think that you can back out think again because I’ve already decided to include everyone’s profile that’s on the staff in this analysis. The only way you’re getting out of this is if I fire you. Now let’s get this thing on the roll.” Why did he always have to use the rolling of the hands anytime he said roll?

He opened his briefcase and retrieved a red folder then proceeded to remove a series of colored paper. I could see Azaria’s neat penmanship on the top sheet of the stack.

“Ms. Richards can you please read aloud the basics of this compatibility assessment.” Ian slid the sheet across the table to her.

I could tell that she didn’t want to read it, but he left her with no choice. I knew Azaria didn’t want to lose her job.” The compatibility assessment details the probability of a successful relationship between two prospective clients based on an overall rating. The rating is derived from several tests, measuring personality traits and matching zodiac signs.” Azaria ended with a breath. Hell, I took a breath too, that was a lot to say.

“Thank you Ms. Richards. Now that you all know what the details of this test are we can start. The computer will randomly pick two employees one male and female, sorry Dan.” Dan was gay so he would not be able to see who he was compatible with at work. That sucks for him.

I watched as several names flashed across the screen quickly until it settled on….Azaria Richards, in big black bold letters. Sighs of relief erupted from those who were happy to not see their names.

However, Azaria was not happy to see her name on the screen. “What? I don’t wanna do this. I helped draft the damn thing.” If Ian caught her blunder with foul language he didn’t make it known, he just smiled.

“Wow this thing is good, based on your zodiac sign you are as stubborn as mule.” Oh God, everyone clear the room, this meeting is definitely over. Azaria was going to have a fit and by the way she was shooting daggers at the back of Ian’s head, I would advise he just pick someone else to save his life.

“Well Ms. Richards you are the lucky lady.” She wasn’t lucky. I bet Ian already programmed the test to automatically pick her name.

“Whatever.” Azaria rolled her eyes and folded her arms under her breasts.

“Now we can match you with another employee after you honestly answer this question generated by the computer.” Sure “generated”, I just knew it was going to be some off the wall shit.

“Answer this scenario with a very inaccurate, almost accurate or very accurate. I do not back down when presented with a challenge.” My ears perked up waiting for her answer, shit maybe it’ll help me figure out her to approach her or at least get her to talk to me again.

“Very accurate.” Wow, she didn’t even hesitate, but I wondered if she was lying Azaria was good at separating her “true” self from the person she wants everyone to see. I still don’t know who she is. Every time I think I have her figured out she ups and changes on me again.

Ian typed in her response and submitted it. “As the computer reads Azaria’s answer, I would like everyone to fill out this questionnaire. By the end of the week you will find out who your companion is and that will be the person you will work with for the rest of your time here at Cupid’s Arrow. We’re trying to promote compatibility in the work place too. Okay now Ms. Richards it’s time to find your lucky man, cause let’s face it you are smokin’.” Did he just hit on her? Because I swore I heard him hit on her. What a lame ass. I could’ve come up with something better than that.

“Ms. Richards based on the stats of your profile, your possible companion is…” I looked over at Colin sweating profusely, silently wishing that his name appeared across the screen, as well as every other man in the room. Right about now Ian looked like he wished he was an employee. I on the other hand did not need a test to tell me about Azaria and me. Besides Azaria wasn’t the type to let a test dictate her life.

Then all of a sudden my name appeared on the screen. This shit is rigged! Azaria buried her face in her hands.

“Who the hell-excuse me…Colin do I have a Justin Timberlake working for me?” Well maybe it wasn’t rigged he didn’t even know my damn name.

“Uh…that’s me sir.” I raised my hand in a wave. Every man in the room was hating on me big time right now.

“Oh you. Well Ms. Richards this is your match.” Why did I hear a hint of disdain in his voice?

“Answer this scenario the same as Ms. Richards. I thrive on the rush of risk taking.”

Hmm? That was tough one. I tend to look for an opportunity before taking a chance especially with Azaria just to be safe, but I do like risks sometimes. “Almost accurate.” That was my final answer after thinking it through.

“Okay well given that Ms. Richards is a Taurus and you are an Aquarius the success of the two of you being compatible is…ninety percent in all areas. Read over the form to find about those other areas that are not appropriate for polite conversation. So in other words the relationship would be scorching according to the relationship meter.” My mouth dropped to the table. Azaria reached over the table to close it for me.

“Thanks.” I whispered. Ninety percent chance of compatibility?

Still, I’m sitting here a week later wondering if that thing had been right. I couldn’t see how we were that compatible. I mean she acted as if she couldn’t stand me. And as far as I was concerned the feeling was mutual. It hadn’t always been that way, but Azaria pushed too many of my buttons.

As I made it to the front of the breakfast stand, I spotted Azaria walking by the cafeteria.

“Hey Justin sugar, what can I get for you today?”

“Hey Miss Janet hold on a minute…uh Azaria come here.” She stopped and rolled her eyes at me as if she was mad that I had caught her. Too bad, she’ll get over it.

“What do you want Justin?” She didn’t even wait for my answer as she turned to greet Miss Janet.

“Hey sweetheart, how are you this morning?” I stood aside while they made polite conversation until Miss Janet said my name.

“Justin, why don’t you treat Azaria to some breakfast?”

“Uh he doesn’t have to Miss Janet.” Azaria had actually blushed as she dismissed the offer. I didn’t think she had it in her.

“Get whatever you want.” She blushed again. It made her look like a little girl. It was cute. Suddenly I heard someone shout ‘punk ass!’ It was my conscious. And it was right. I was a punk ass buying her food for a second time when I didn’t have enough to buy my own and she couldn’t stand me. Yup, punk ass indeed.

Azaria and I had ordered a pancake, sausage, and egg platter. I was on my way to a table when she told me that she was going back to the office. I didn’t question her. I knew that she didn’t want to be around me for too long.

“Hey Justin.” It was that bastard Colin calling me again. Now, I think I hate him more than I hate Buckteeth Sean. I mean he’s always bothering me.

“What do you want?”

“You going to have breakfast with us guys?”

“No.” He didn’t seem to be happy about my answer. But I didn’t care. The last time I ate with them they had gotten me in trouble with Azaria by starting rumors and shit. I wasn’t going to let that happen again.

“Oh come on.”

“Why should I?” He didn’t answer my question; just switched to a new subject. His favorite subject…Azaria.

“You get to work with Azaria for literally the rest of your life. I envy you man.” Ironically, I didn’t find enjoyment in working with Azaria for the rest of my life.

“Yo move over Sean, Justin’s going to sit with us.” That’s funny, I don’t recall agreeing to sit with them, but I was tired of wasting my breath. I’ll just make sure to keep my damn mouth close.

“So, Justin how are things going with you and Ms. Richards?”

“We’re cool.” I was keeping my responses brief this time.

“Well according to the compatibility test things are supposed to be scorching between you two. “ I haven’t been sitting here but one minute and he was already starting shit.

“Sure.” I wanted to say more, but remembered my promise to myself to keep this conversation brief.

“Ooh look there she goes.” God these fools are so immature. It’s not like…damn! I couldn’t even finish my statement. Azaria had suddenly walked in the cafeteria depositing her tray into the trash can, why that was sexy, I’ll never know. Maybe because an unexpected aura appeared around her, it was if she was like a walking angel, a not so sweet angel, but an angel nonetheless. Damn, I need to get rid of this punk ass attitude.

“Azaria!” Wait, that wasn’t me, that was…Colin! Why the hell was he calling her? What could he possibly have to say to her?

While I was rambling off unanswered questions in my head, Colin had managed to slip away from the table in the direction of Azaria. That asshole.

“He about to scoop up your lady Justin.” She was not my lady. Just because a stupid test said that we were compatible didn’t mean she was my lady, no matter how much I wanted to…no matter how attractive I found her. However, I was jealous at the way Colin so blatantly touched her, God he has no respect for women! Touching her arm lightly and attempting to grab her hand, it was just sick!

I couldn’t see Azaria’s face so I had no clue if she was enjoying his flirtatiousness or not. Hopefully, it was the latter. Before, I knew it Azaria and Colin had disappeared. I barely saw the door to our office close behind them. Wait! Why was I just sitting here? That was my office too so I could walk in if I pleased. And right about now I felt like walking in there.

As soon as I got up all the guys at the table were staring at me. “You gonna go in there?” Sean asked.

“Of course it’s my office.” With that said I walked off into the direction of my office. When I get my hands on Colin, he’s gonna wish that he never went after Azaria. I knew what he was trying to do. He was trying to get her before I could, so he could ask her to be his date for the Christmas party this Saturday, but there was no way in hell I was going to let that shit happen. Azaria was going to be my date for the party and that was final.

I barged through the door ready to rip that smug smile off his face. However, when I entered the room a smug smile was not what I saw on Colin’s face, instead it was a red mark on his face.

Colin masked his anger and instantly covered his face when he noticed me standing there with a smile on my face. He had finally got to see the wrath of Azaria.

“Get out Colin.” Azaria pointed to the door. I can tell she was trying her hardest not to lay her hands on him again. I wonder what he did to deserve a smack.

“But Azaria I was going to ask you to be my date for the Christmas party.” The nerve of him to think he could still get her to be his date after pissing her off. I learned my lesson not to push her when she’s angry.

Her eyes widened with disbelief, “You should have thought about that shit before you decided to touch my breasts. Ask me again when hell freezes over!” Hold up, wait a minute, back it up.

“You did what!” Even I wouldn’t go that far to touch her breasts. The ass was one thing, which can be touched mistakenly, but when you touch a woman’s breast that is just crossing the line!

“Justin get him out of here.” Azaria started pacing back and forth.

I moved toward Colin. “Gladly.” I ushered Colin out the door.

“Man even though she slapped me she has the best breasts ever. It was worth it.” He whispered.

“I know….wait that’s bad. Leave Colin.” I pushed him out of the office. I’m glad she hadn’t heard that.

“So Azaria. Wanna be my date for the Christmas party?” I should have waited for her to cool down first, but I wasn’t a patient man.

“Justin you can not be serious?”

“Yes I am. So do you wanna accompany me?” I put on my best million dollar smile.

She rolled her eyes, “Whatever Justin I’m too pissed off to refuse you. So, yes I’ll go with you to the Christmas party.” Wow, maybe I should have someone else piss her off more often since it seems to work in my favor.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story