Azaria

It’s two in the afternoon and Justin is coming to pick me up in four hours for that stupid ass Christmas Party tonight. Damn I only have a few hours to get ready and I really don’t want to go. It’s not because of Justin either. I just don’t feel like gracing my presence in a room full of insensitive, flirtatious jerks just so I can be violated again.

I swear I must give off an “I’m easy” vibe because men just feel the need to touch me without my permission. Is that the word around the office? Is it some kind of message written across my ass that says “Cop a free feel” and I do not know about it?

Maybe I need to think this party thing through some more. Should I go or should I just stay my black ass home and watch Saturday night movies with Breeze? That seemed like a good idea right now, especially, the thought of taking a nice long bubble bath.

Hmm…I wonder if it will be a problem if I didn’t show up. Maybe not a problem for Ian, but certainly a problem for Justin since I promised him that I would be his date tonight and it would be wrong for me to just back out like that at the last minute. I could imagine his reaction if he showed up at my door and I told him that I didn’t feel like going anymore.

I’ll open the door with an, “Oh guess what Justin I don’t feel like going to this party anymore.” And he’ll stare at me with his infamous, what the fuck expression. That’s what he does whenever I catch him off guard. Afterwards he would probably insist that I allow him to stay and watch movies with me. And that would be an absolute no no.

“This is not going to be a good night for me.” I sighed loudly, finalizing my decision to go to the Christmas Party with Justin. I didn’t want to give him another reason to think of me as an evil bitch. Since I’ve been ignoring him for the past few weeks I know for sure that’s what he’s been thinking. He actually tried to call me last night after I got home from work, but I just let the answering machine pick up while I prepared something to eat for myself. Evidently, it must’ve not been that important because he didn’t even bother to leave a message.

Just then my intercom buzzed. “Who the hell could this be?” I wasn’t expecting anyone unless…hell no… Justin wasn’t that stupid to show up at my place unannounced.

I tightened the belt to my housecoat around my waist and walked over to the intercom. “Who is it?”

“It’s your favorite person in the whole entire world.” That’s insane I am my favorite person in the whole entire world, but I knew who the voice belonged to, it was my baby brother, Amir.

As soon as I opened the door Amir burst through, lifted me off the ground and swung me around in a circle until I was forced to beat against his back from nausea.

“Put me down damnit.” He didn’t put me down until he reached the kitchen and placed me atop the counter.

“Hey sis.” He ruffled my hair and set his bag aside on the stool. I am so glad I didn’t do my hair yet because he would’ve had to pay big time and why the hell does he have a bag he is definitely not staying the night.

“Don’t hey sis me. Why do you have a bag?”

“Damn Zar can I even get the chance to relax first?” He reached over to smack my arm and I smacked him back. See what I mean about men touching me without my permission.

“Amir you are not staying here tonight I mean it. Why aren’t you staying with Daddy for the holidays?” I allowed his ass to stay with me last year during his winter break from college and he left my place looking like a pig sty.

He lifted Breeze from the ground and cradled him in his arms. “You know how Dad is during the holidays.” Yes I did know how he was during the holidays, but it wasn’t my father’s fault it was the woman I am sad to say is my mother fault.

“Okay you can stay with me until Christmas but after that you stay with Daddy, got it?”

“Sure you won’t even know I’m here Zar. I’ll be staying with my girl most of the time anyway.” He got up to kiss my cheek and then walked off to the room he would be staying in.

“Wait when did you get a girlfriend?” I didn’t remember him ever being serious about any girl but it has been a few months since I last saw him so maybe he’s gained some maturity during that time.

“When are you going to put some clothes on sis? I don’t like you walking around like that any man can be at you door and see you in that.” Wait a minute he must’ve forgot I am older than him.

“This is my place, I make the rules and you’d be surprise to hear that I don’t get many visitors.” Suddenly my intercom buzzed again. What time was it? I glanced at the clock across the room. Three hours left to get ready.

Readjusting my robe again, I walked over to the intercom. “Who is it?”

“The man of your dreams.” I smiled even though I didn’t want to. For some reason I knew he was going to do this to me. “Mr. Unpredictable” was up to something or else he wouldn’t have shown up unannounced like this without even calling me first.

I buzzed him in and waited for him to get off the elevator. “This is not cool Justin. You should’ve called me first and how do you know where I live?” Now that I think about it I was supposed to call him and give him my address. Oops, I guess I forgot to do that, but how did he find out where I lived?

“It’s so nice of you to come out and greet me baby.” As he moving closer I noted that he was dressed very nicely in a gray pinstripe suit. I found that surprising since he was always talking about how much money he didn’t have. I could also tell that he had shaved and got a haircut today as well, not that any of that mattered to me. Well, maybe a little since I hadn’t smacked him for calling me baby. I’ll let it slide this time.

“Ooh is that what you’re wearing to the party? It’s a little provocative but I definitely dig it.” I swatted his hand away as it reached for the strap of my negligee hidden beneath my robe.

“I’m not wearing this you fool. If you hadn’t came so early I would have had the time to properly get ready. Can we continue this inside?” I didn’t feel comfortable standing in the hall dressed in my nightgown. I ushered Justin inside and closed the door behind us.

“You have a nice place Azaria.” Yes, I’m aware of that fact.

“Oh and the only reason I came over early was to make sure you didn’t back out as my date. I took a risk coming here unannounced.” Yes, he most definitely did take a risk by coming over here, but since I’m trying to be nice I’m not going to blow up on him. And I take back my earlier comment about Justin being stupid; in fact he isn’t stupid but persistent. He’s doing everything in his power to stay on my good side and I have to admit he’s doing a good job so far.

“I would have called you first if I decided not to go.” That was a lie, but he didn’t need to know that right now.

“You know I suspected that you might back out on me and I couldn’t let that happen. I really wanted you to be my date tonight. The party wouldn’t be the same if you weren’t there with me. Oh and I was thinking that maybe we could do something before the party. You up for it?” What kind of sentimental shit was Justin feeding me? He actually made me feel better about deciding to go to the party after all. The man was good at his job.

“Yeah let me go get ready.” I had already wasted almost two hours being social.

“Should I be worried about leaving you alone for a few minutes?”

“Nah I’ll just make myself at home baby.”

I grabbed a pillow from the loveseat and slapped the hell out of him with it before he even saw it coming. “There’s more where that came from if you continue to call me baby.” I tossed him a satisfied smile before slamming my bedroom door.

Justin

Damnit! Stupid idiot! What was that back there? “The party wouldn’t be the same if you weren’t there with me.” Where did I come up with that shit? I know for a fact Azaria saw right through everything, she’s too smart to not have noticed my game plan, which was to come over here and- it doesn’t even matter anymore.

“I should just stick with the dumb ones.”

“Who are you?” A black man suddenly entered the room and he didn’t look too happy to see me.

“My name is Justin Timberlake. I work with Azaria.” Wow my hands are sweating. I didn’t know if it was because this man was excessively tall or because I was angry that Azaria invited me in knowing she had another man here already. Yes, it was most definitely the latter.

“Okay…but that still does not explain to me what you’re doing in my sister’s house…”

Hmm…that’s funny I don’t remember him asking me why I was here. I only recall him asking who I was. And did he say his sister? But of course he could have meant his “sista” instead. However, I was not stupid enough to actually ask him to differentiate between the two.

“I came to pick Azaria up for the Christmas party tonight. She didn’t tell you?” Not that Azaria seemed like the type to actually give a shit about what her brother or “brotha” thought.

“No she certainly did not. What is this Christmas Party for, that talent agency she works at?” Well it was clear that he was her actual brother since he knew about her past job experience, but it appeared to be a lack of communication in the family.

“She doesn’t work there anymore. She works at a dating firm with me called Cupid’s Arrow. In fact she’s been there for almost a month now. We’re partners.” I don’t know why the hell I felt the need to add that last tidbit.

“Cupid’s Arrow? Zar works there? Why she ain’t let a brotha know? So… you can hook me up with some ladies?” Before I could say anything Azaria appeared out of no where. How does she do that shit!

“Amir you better stop harassing Justin before I make you stay with Daddy.” I see she’s feisty with the family as well.

Amir dismissed Azaria’s orders and turned to me, leaning in to whisper, “You still got my back right?” I just shook my head and laughed; no need in getting on Azaria’s bad side so early into the date.

“Anyway what happened to your girl?”

“Oh she was too clingy. We broke up weeks ago.”

“It seems you might need my help after all.” As soon as the words left my mouth Azaria’s head snapped in my direction. Her eyes were wide as if she couldn’t believe what I had said.

“How could you of all people help him? What are you gonna show him the best way to slam a girl up against a bathroom stall? Huh?” I think she just took a stab at my dignity. Meanwhile Amir was standing by, dumfounded.

“What is she talking about man?” He asked. Now it was my turn to feign confusion.

“Nothing your sister’s just letting her imagination run wild. I’m guessing that’s what she wants me to do her.” I shrugged, Azaria gasped, and Amir burst out laughing.

“You the one that need help man.”

“Oh I’ll give him some help.” Azaria walked over and hemmed me up by my collar. Damn woman watch the suit!

She pulled me towards her so that she could whisper into my ear. I noticed that she still wasn’t dressed yet, but she had changed into a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants.

“Don’t try to embarrass me in front of my brother or I’ll make you wait outside.” Surprisingly, I was able to make out her every word even though she was speaking to me through clenched teeth. “Do you understand?” Damn did she make me feel like a little boy sometimes.

“Yes Ma’am.” I responded, removing her hand from my collar.

“Good.” She put her hand on her hip. “Now sit out here with my brother while I go get ready.”

“Wait.” I grabbed her arm. “What?” She sighed clearly annoyed with me, I figured.

“You didn’t say anything about my suit? I look good, right?” I stretched my arms out to the sides and did a 360 so that she could worship me in full view.

“Yeah you look so sexy I’m about to have an orgasm.” She smirked sarcastically walking away while Amir looked on amused and a bright smile formed on my face.

“Really! Maybe I should follow you to your room then.” She was quick to slam the door in my face after that comment.

“Damn does my sister always give you a hard time?” He laughed again. I figured he found the relationship between Azaria and I entertaining.

“Yeah that’s how we are with each other.”

He nodded. “Oh well I’ma tell you right now that my sister’s fronting.” My ears suddenly perked up. Azaria fronting? What is he talking about? Maybe I was mistaken so I went to sit on the couch where he was so that I could hear him better.

“Yeah man, if there’s something she likes or wants she acts as if she doesn’t.” Hmm, really? “One time when we were younger she wanted my father to buy her this bike. So she acted like she didn’t want it. I mean she flat out told him, “Daddy I don’t want no bike.” I could see little Azaria being that feisty.

“He got it for her anyway thinking she was only acting up because Ma was gone. They both got accustomed to that routine. So if you’re anything like my pops Azaria will eventually get what she wants.” She wouldn’t have to act up to get me that’s for damn sure.

“She tell you about our ma?” I shook my head in response.

“Oh well she left us. I don’t remember her much, but Azaria does, she just chooses not to.”

Man Azaria was a complicated woman. I don’t think I’ll ever understand her. There are so many sides to her personality, so many things about herself that she hides, so many reasons as to why she acts the way she does. I think I’m getting a headache just thinking about it.

Thankfully, Azaria was exiting her bedroom before Amir could confuse me more. I had to do a double take just to make sure I saw all of her. Her dress was some sexy shade of purple, lavender I think. Tight fit, just how I liked it. And a pair of pumps on her feet, also my favorite. My eyes traveled back to the top. Her hair was pinned up, face was flawless, only a slight amount of makeup, not that she needed any. Oh she was showing the girls off tonight too. How did I miss them the first time around?

“You are taking a coat with you, right Zar?” He glanced at me still sizing up his sister.

“Leave me alone.” Azaria waved him off. I can’t blame Amir for being overprotective. I mean if I had a sister, younger or older that looked like Azaria I would be the same way.

“I’m just saying that you need a coat. It is December, you know.” He had a point I guess.

“Okay well since you put it that way…” She went to the closet to grab her coat. Amir turned to me.

“You better watch it with my sister.”

“Sure no problem.” I got up to help Azaria with her coat.

“Thank you.” She eyed me suspiciously. “What? I am a gentleman, you know.” Azaria shrugged.

“My brother threatened you, didn’t he?” She didn’t wait for my answer. “Don’t worry about him. He’s a punk-ass just like you.” Wow she cuts deep. Yet, what was that Amir had said about her fronting?

Azaria

Finally arriving at the party and exiting Justin’s car was like freedom for me. Justin drives like a bat out of hell. And I had to experience the “thrill” of that on two other occasions when he made two other stops. The first was to get gas, which he should’ve done prior to picking me up. And the second was to grab some takeout. According to Justin, these parties that Cupid’s Arrow host never serve any good food, well nothing fulfilling.

Justin came around to the passenger side to check on me. He saw me stumble to my feet.

“You okay? You can’t walk in those heels, can you?” The nerve of him to think I don’t know how to walk in heels!

“No, it’s not my heels. Oh!” I suddenly felt cramping in my stomach, making me gag.

“Damn Azaria that wasn’t very ladylike.”

“Well, excuse me. I’m sorry your driving made me sick to my stomach.” I walked ahead towards the hotel.

“Aww, I’m sorry too.” Justin encircled my waist from behind. I choked again.

“Um Azaria do you mind? People might begin to think you are repulsed by my presence.” They wouldn’t be too far off. I gagged, this time on purpose, just to yank his chain.

“Oh come on, your brother said you would put on a front as if you didn’t want me, but don’t you think this is a little overboard?” I immediately pushed his hands away.

“Front? What the hell are you talking about?” As usual my hand attached itself to my hip.

“Amir said-”

“I heard that shit, why would he tell you that?”

“He said the way you treat me, is just a front. You dismiss things that you want.” Oh I am so going to whip Amir’s ass when I get home.

“What does he think he’s a fucking psychologist now, analyzing my behavior? Don’t listen to him I’m not putting on any front for you, trust me.” And I wasn’t. Sure, there was this underlying attraction towards Justin but nothing to make a big deal about. Shit, after tonight, it would most likely become nonexistent.

“He said you act that way because of your mom.” Wait, how’d my mom get into this?

“What the hell do you know about my mother?” I didn’t want to stand outside of the party arguing with him, but he brought up a topic that just…ticks a bad nerve.

“That she left you and your dad.” I can’t believe Amir told him that as if it meant nothing. Maybe it didn’t. Amir couldn’t remember her anyway.

“So according to Amir, I act like I don’t want you because my mother abandoned me? Wow, he couldn’t come up with a better reason than that? I mean that was over fifteen years ago.” Justin only shrugged saying he was sorry that he mentioned it. However, the apology was useless at this point. I was already beyond upset. I need to calm my nerves.

“I need a drink.” Entering the hotel, I left Justin standing outside and headed straight to the bar.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story