Bitter-sweet Revenge

Chapter 38

            Friday afternoon rolled around and my article was due. I had been working so hard on it; I really hoped that it would help me get noticed. This particular article was on what was on relationships. It was actually pretty funny to write about because I got to incorporate the hell that was my own romantic life and help people in the process.  

 

            I swear I was like living the dream.

 

            So anyway, I was off to Monique Leone’s office to submit my article and really nervous. This woman was completely perfect; she had everything any woman could ever ask for. She was married to Derek Jeter of the fucking New York Yankees, SO GORGEOUS, she had a hot career, and she was beautiful. Monique really was a lucky woman. I think I would die for the chance to grab Derek Jeter’s ass just once… but that’s just me.

 

            New Years passed and was relatively quiet. I spent it with my mother and the twins. I knew I was kind of neglecting her too and I promised myself that this new year I would spend more time with my family and less time being selfish and thinking of myself. This year was a chance to change and grow and I knew that I had to do that.

 

            “Natalia, I’m so glad to see you.” Monique smiled at me warmly. “You’ve been doing some excellent work around here.”

 

            “Thank you… I’ve been trying my hardest.” I said earnestly.

 

            Monique was 5’8” with golden hair and bright brown eyes, the once runway model was the envy of every woman. She even looked like Mariah Carey in her younger days. Some people are just born lucky.

 

            “I know you have, I may seem to not be paying attention, but in fact I do. I’ve been watching you Natalia Fuentes and you have this drive to succeed; it reminds me of my own.” Monique crossed her legs in her massive office chair and studied me.

 

            “Really?”

 

            “Yes… not to mention you are an unbelievable writer. I really think that you will bring something refreshing and new to this magazine. I’m very excited to read your newest article.”

 

            “Thank you, Ms. Leone… I really worked hard on it and tried to include my own anecdotes into it. I’ve gone through my own various problems in relationships and I thought that maybe I could give people some insight through my own struggles.”

 

            A smile crossed Monique’s face as I handed her the article which I had worked so hard on. It was a small article where I tried to divulge into the mind of a man where in turn I blatantly realized that two things keep men in a happy relationship, loyalty and good sex. It was meant to be a satire okay!

 

            “Oh my God! This is hysterical.” Monique grinned. I stood perfectly still; I silently wondered if the word hysterical was a good or bad thing. “It does a great job of describing how us women obsess over men and in the end stray from what they want. This is amazing writing, Natalia.”

 

            “Thank you… I really meant for women to laugh but at the same time be informed that there are certain things that we shouldn’t do to ruin a relationship.”

 

            Monique studied me for a moment. She looked me up and down; it seemed like the hair style I had, to the shade of my makeup and the shoes I had chosen were all scrutinized under her gaze. Monique herself was perfect and I’m sure she wanted everyone around her to be so… now if I was that way was a different story.

 

            “I like you, Natalia… you are hip, young, a mother and you have some interesting insights. You are wise beyond your years and I think that I want to have you do a different kind of column for me; but quite honestly I’m revamping this magazine. I do not want it to be solely based on fashion, I want to incorporate music, sports, literature and real life dilemmas that the modern woman faces.”

 

            “I would love to help you Monique. I know I would try my best to help change this magazine around but at the same time try and keep true to its roots.” I stated, becoming more relaxed in Monique’s presence. “I think we can give Cosmo a run for their money.”

 

A lot of people had said she was an uber bitch and I was expecting someone out of “The Devil Wears Prada”, but she was really an awesome lady. I wanted to help change the magazine around.

 

“I knew I saw something good in you when I hired you.” Monique beamed and stood up from her chair. She fumbled through her desk looking for something while I stood watching her. “You have this fiery spirit, it’s a breath of fresh air honestly, these people I work with are all sheep! They are not at all original.” She pulled a paper out of her desk and handed it over to me. “How would you feel about doing a concert review and an interview? This is just to get your feet wet… I want you to feel comfortable before I have you jump in and tackle the crazy ideas I have planned.”

 

“Oh wow… really? I would absolutely love to. Who would it be?”

 

“This rock group… um… God what are their names? It just slipped my mind… but you’d just do an interview… it wouldn’t be a cover interview but it would be something to show the readers that we are eclectic… I think I want to do a concert review for each genre of music… pop, rock, rap, country… you know? I think it would be great to mix it up and show our readers that we’re open to everything.”

 

“That is absolutely genius.” I said beaming. I loved this idea, honestly. Meeting bands and artists and going to concerts? That’s fucking crazy!

 

“I knew you’d think so. So you’re first assignment as my concert girl is to meet and interview… Papa Roach… they were bigger in the 90’s but there fame is resurfacing.”

 

PAPA ROACH? I wanted to jump in the fucking air and scream. I absolutely LOVED them, they were one of my favorite bands in high school and even now! Not to mention Jacoby Shaddix was fucking amazingly gorgeous. I couldn’t wait to tell Ricky!

 

“I’ve heard of them… I’m actually a fan.”

 

“Oh great, that’s even better to hear. I’ll give you the tickets, take whoever you’d like.” Monique sat back down at her desk. “Um you can pick the tickets up next week… and by the way there’s a meeting in two weeks from now… I was thinking about changing the name of the magazine… you know to fit our new image… what do you think?”

 

“That sounds like a good idea… it’s like Glamour is reborn.” I said and Monique smiled.

 

“Well think of some suggestions… I’m sorry I kept you so long sweetie. Have a great weekend.”

 

“You too.”

 

I walked out of that building jumping for joy. I was going to meet and interview Papa Roach? How fucking crazy was that! Ricky was going to be oh so jealous! ^_^ Well actually fuck jealousy, I knew I was going to take him with me!

 

Jumping in my car, I immediately called Ricky on the blue tooth. Can I just say that the fucking blue tooth is such a pain in the ass. It tries to call like every other person that who you actually want to call, fucking bull shit.

 

“Hello hello?” Ricky’s voice came through the speakers of my car and I smiled.

 

“Guess who I’m meeting and interviewing?” I was gloating… haha oh well; and who cared that Jacoby was married with children? I could still dream! “I’m meeting and interviewing Papa fucking Roach!”

 

“NO YOU ARE NOT!!!” Ricky screamed. “Natalia that’s fucking awesome! Oh my God that drummer is like fucking sick, he’s a lefty and plays on a righty set… he’s so fucking talented… oh my god!! That’s not fair!”

 

“Bitch you’re coming with me… it’s like this show and then I interview them after. I’m literally going crazy.”

 

“Oh my God!!! I’m like dumping Louis for the day… you think the bassist would go for me?” He joked with a giggle.

 

“Um… I think he’s married… but why not.” I laughed.

 

            “So you know what tonight is… right?” Ricky turned serious as I bit down on my bottom lip.

 

            “Unfortunately I do.”

 

            “It won’t be that bad… just talk for like 20 minutes, steal the phone and bounce. David won’t hurt you…” Ricky encouraged me, but I was still very hesitant about this entire situation. “…and anyway JC and Tommy will be like outside watching everything… so if things get crazy you just call them and they’ll bail you out.”

 

            “I guess… ugh… tonight will go by fast and I’ll meet Papa Roach… I think I’m going to jump on Jacoby though.”

 

            “Hahaha…I think you’ll get your ass sent to jail and lose your job.” Ricky snickered. I was stopped at a red light, so I quickly fumbled through my cds, searching for my favorite Papa Roach cd, Lovehatetragedy. I was so pumped, this was just going to be so much fun.

 

 “AHH another call I’ll call you back.” I clicked the phone before he could answer, not even paying attention to who was calling me. “I’M MEETING PAPA ROACH!!” I screamed to the caller, laughing. I didn’t care who it was but everyone had to know this.

 

“No shit… how’d that happen?” Justin’s voice echoed through the car.

 

So I kinda haven’t mentioned what my relationship with Justin has been like and I guess that’s okay because I really don’t know what’s going on. We’ve been having a lot of outings with the twins which is cool because the twins are seeming a lot happier and adjusting to things. Justin also still kisses me… well we have full fledged make out sessions with groping. Clothes on though; I don’t think he’s ready to take me back fully so I guess it’s like we’re starting over and taking things very slow.

 

I really do want to be back with Justin so I’ll do anything he wants at this point in the game.

 

“I kinda got this promotion thingy… my boss wants me to do this interview and then she wants me to do bigger stories. I’m getting really excited about this… Justin this could open so many doors for me.” I exclaimed, jumping up and down in my car seat.

 

“Angel, I’m so happy for you… we need to celebrate tonight!”

 

FUCK! The stupid David set up thing was tonight. This beyond sucked because I would have much rathered be in Justin’s company than that low life David. He set me up and I fucking hated the guy for that.

 

It was like he was poisoning me against Justin during the time I was away from him. I saw it all so clearly now.

 

“Aww baby… I can’t I have so much work… um maybe tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah, definitely… I also want to talk to you about some stuff…”

 

“What stuff?” I asked with curiosity. I started biting at my nails, not liking where this was all going. I was just waiting for this fairy tale to end. I had my guard up because I was so afraid to trust him again and to just be broken hearted again.

 

“Um…us… but I don’t want to do it over the phone…”

 

“Oh God… is this bad…?” I was trembling; my nerves were definitely shot from all the stress I had endured in the past couple of months.

 

“No no no… angel it’s good… I swear.” He said with sincerity etched in his voice. “We’re through with all the sadness and pain. I promise… remember what we talked about the other day? We’re going to move past all the negativity in our lives and onto bigger and better things.”

 

“Okay…” I was relieved and let out a small sigh showing that. “Tomorrow it is baby… I can’t wait.”

 

“Me neither… I miss you.” He said softly. “If you finish early though… let me know, okay?”

 

“I definitely will… I’ll call you when I get home… okay?”

 

“Alright, Nat… bye.” With that, he hung up. No I love you’s yet… one step at a time. I crossed my fingers and hoped tonight would be painless. I’d prove to Justin that I was meant to be his and I never wanted to hurt him.

 

I would kill David myself if that’s what it took.

 

**

 

“I really don’t want to do this.” I said sadly. I was getting dressed in the outfit Ricky picked out for me. It was a black sweater dress and a high waisted red belt. The outfit was cute but I didn’t want to look cute. I wanted to fucking turn this guy off.

 

“Yeah I’m not thrilled about it either… especially because you and J are on better terms… but if it has to be done you have to do it.” Ricky said sympathetically as he pulled my hair back into a simple pony tail.

 

Both Ricky and Savannah were helping me get ready for this hellish night. I was thankful to have the both of them by my side, but honestly I wished that Hope was there. I knew that she would have some insight about all of this. I really wanted one of my best friends to be here and help me through this terrible time.

 

Ugh… life kinda sucks doesn’t it? I really couldn’t pick up the phone and call Hope, she pretty much hated me right now because she associated me with everything bad that Tommy did to her. I didn’t understand why she couldn’t just move on with it? Why was she holding onto the anger? Was there something else going on?

 

I needed to play detective and find out what was going on with all my friends. Especially Savannah and Hope; those two had more secrets than anyone could even imagine.

 

“Stop thinking so much, Natalia.” Savannah smacked my arm lightly, causing me to jump.

 

I had been sitting in Ricky and Louis’s bedroom while Ricky and Savannah decided on every aspect of what my outfit, makeup and attitude should be on that date. I really wanted nothing more than to crawl into my bed and sleep this all off. It wasn’t fair.

 

“I can’t help it. I just have a bad feeling.”

 

“Nat, what have I been telling you? Nothing bad is going to happen… JC and Tommy will be watching out for you. David will not even get the chance to lay a hand on you.” Ricky stated reassuringly. He reached over and gave me a tight hug. “Trust me, doll… this will work out for the best… it just has to.”

 

I faked a smile and quickly put on my red paten leather pumps. My outfit was hot… too bad I was going to waste it on David. Ugh… maybe I’d be done with him early and then I could go see Justin.

 

It was really hard to keep this from Justin. I wanted nothing more but to jump into his arms and tell him the truth about David… but that would definitely jeopardize our reconciliation. I don’t think I could handle losing him again; yeah I’ve said that before but honestly after all the shit that has happened… I don’t think I could. Justin would HATE me if he knew the truth about David; I mean it was inevitable for him to find out but I knew that we just needed some time to cement our relationship before the news was sprung on him.

 

“Listen…you need to just be as phoney as possible. Smile, laugh and get what you need to. You know better than to fall for his bull shit so be the strong and self-reliant woman you are… screw David’s plans to hurt all of us… let him the one that’s going to be pained.” Savannah kneeled down before me and looked at my face sadly. “Do it for the revenge, … feel joy in hurting the man who manipulated you, who had someone rape me, who fucked up your marriage and more importantly… is hurting your children.”

 

She was absolutely right. My kids were hurting due to the back and forth horrors that Justin and I were unfortunately having them endure. I would most certainly do this for my kids and for Savannah who was broken.

 

“You’re right. I’ll do this. I’ll break David the way he broke me. I’ll get my revenge.”

 

**

 

I walked into Eyre restaurant, a trendy restaurant which had just opened in the upper east side in Manhattan, with my held head high. David was not going to see the weak and vulnerable girl that I once was, he was going to see and strong and confident woman who had no need for his bullshit.

 

I immediately caught sight of David who was grinning annoyingly at me. Fucking bastard. It made me sick to my stomach that he was smiling arrogantly, as if showing that he won this twisted battle against me.

 

I’d break him.

 

“Hello gorgeous.” David greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. I wanted to scrub that cheek clean with Clorox. Disgusting piece of garbage. He was so lucky that I had to go along with this and let him kiss my cheek.

 

I was also desperately trying not to check him out and get wrapped up in how hot he was. FUCK! He smelled so good too. That bastard was wearing my favorite cologne, Yves Saint Laurent. Had I told him that was my favorite men’s cologne? Ugh… that soft yet masculine scent was intoxicating. I quickly sat down at the table, trying to keep my composure.

 

“Hey David… long time no see.”

 

“Definitely… I was very shocked when you called…I was under the impression that you had gotten back with Justin and you didn’t want to have anything to do with me.”

 

I took a seat at the table and tried my best to ignore that comment. I was not going to flip out at this guy; I needed to show that I was strong and independent. I was not the same immature girl that lost it over the slightest comment; all of the pain I had endured had changed me and it was all thanks to David.

 

“No… I’m trying my best to stand on my own. I don’t need a man to take care of me anymore. I’ve realized that I can stand on my own two feet.”

 

“That’s great, Nat. I’m so happy for you. You’ve always been a strong person, I’m just glad you’re able to see it for yourself.”

 

UGH! Now he was trying to kiss ass? This was definitely going to be a long night.

 

**

 

            Justin had no idea what to do anymore. His life was changing back and forth so rapidly that he couldn’t tell if he was coming or going. His life, his marriage, his children, his friends, even his business had all proved to him that nothing was absolutely immune from changing.

 

            There was one thing in his life that he was certain of though; he forgave Natalia. He hadn’t intended to do so, Justin wasn’t even sure if he could forgive her at one time, but miraculously it happened.

 

            Now he wanted nothing more but to scream his love for her off of rooftops. She was perfect… she was his angel.

 

            “Ruben?” Justin called the body guard he paid to watch Natalia at all times. She hated the precautions he took, but it was better safe than sorry.

 

            “Yes Mr. Timberlake?”

 

            “Where is Natalia right now?”

 

            “She’s out to dinner at Eyre.” Ruben answered obediently. “It’s on 2nd avenue. Is there a problem?”

 

            “No no… I just thought I’d come surprise her.”

 

            If he only knew the surprise would be on him.

 

**

 

            “So you’re doing celebrity interviews now? That is so awesome… maybe you’ll meet like Jessica Alba and hook me up.” David laughed.

 

            “Haha… I definitely would if I did regular celebrity interviews… so far I’m only interviewing musicians…I’m really excited about this.” I said honestly.

 

            So David wasn’t being a complete asshole; in fact he was being sort of nice. It shocked me even more so that he wasn’t even hitting on me. It was like this whole friend thing now. I was guessing that he must have gotten what he wanted, to hurt me and Justin, and was now satisfied. Fucking bastard.

 

            “Okay… then hook me up with Kelly Clarkson.., she’s really cute.”

 

            “Sure, if the day comes that I meet her I’ll be like hey, I have this hot friend David… you should try and hit that.” I giggled and sipped on some of my white zinfandel.

 

            If I had to drink wine that was like the only kind I drank. That must sound so completely weird since I’m Spanish and we live on wine, but oh well. I just didn’t like the stuff all that much.

 

            “…Um speaking of relationships… what happened with us?”

 

            EEEP! The question I had been dreading was finally asked. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair and started downing that glass on wine. The stuffy room was suddenly feeling so confined and my thirst was unquenchable, even with the wine.

 

            “I…well… uh I’m not sure.” I lied.

 

            He fucking manipulated me!! I wanted to scream the words and bitch slap him. I wanted to hate him for taking advantage of me, but truth be told, I couldn’t. With one look into his eyes I realized why I had liked him so much. David reached over and put his hand on mine, offering me a sad smile.

 

            Why do I seem to like all the drug dealing Mafia men?

 

**

 

            “Carina… are you busy?” Justin held his cell phone as he drudged down the snowy street. He had found a parking spot about a block away and was hurrying to Eyre where he would see his Natalia.

 

            He really hoped she wasn’t too busy with whatever work meeting she was attending. Justin just wanted to scoop her up into his arms and carry her away.

 

            “Um no. What’s up Justin?”

 

            “I just wanted to thank you for everything that you’ve helped me with this past year. I know I asked for a lot out of you but you did a great job.”

 

            “Thank you, Justin. I’m having so much fun working for you.” Carina answered honestly.

 

            It was true. She did have fun sleeping with Justin as well as making his tramp wife feel terrible. Carina wasn’t a bad person but this entire scenario became like a therapy for her.

 

            “Well… I actually wanted to tell you that I won’t be needing your services anymore.”

 

            Justin was walking into the restaurant on his cell phone when he spotted Natalia from across the room. A smile crossed his face as he saw his angel engaged in conversation.

 

            She didn’t even know how sorry he was for hurting her. Justin knew he was an asshole and now all he wanted to do was make things better. Justin was going to confess everything to her and come clean. He knew now that their relationship could only work with trust and honesty.

 

            The greeter at the restaurant stopped Justin, telling him he needed a reservation. Nothing else mattered at that moment; he just wanted to hold his angel. 500 dollars was given to the man who just took the money quietly.

 

            “Um… I’m sorry to hear that Justin. I really enjoyed working with you… well… I guess call me if you ever need me to work again.”

 

            Justin’s gazed at Natalia with a smile; seeing her laughing and happy was something that made him tingle on the inside. Natalia always had that affect on him, her presence alone made him feel like he could be a different man. Blue eyes changed their fixation to the person sitting with Natalia.

 

            WHAT THE FUCK WAS HE DOING WITH HER?

 

            “Actually… scratch that… we’re still in business.” Justin said blankly and hung up his phone.

 

            Justin couldn’t think straight at that moment, but he knew for a fact that he wanted David Boreanaz’s blood staining the floor. He wanted to slap Natalia and hurt her for lying to him. If she didn’t want to get back with him she should have just fucking said so! What was the purpose of leading him on?!

 

            “That fucking whore.” He said under his breath. He clenched his hand into fists, trying to gain any sort of composure that he could manage.

 

            Obviously that wasn’t going well. Justin had seriously lost it at that moment. Everything that was good in his life disappeared from his memory and all he saw was Natalia and David holding hands at the table. His beautiful angel was nothing more than a fake; he was going to make sure that phony bitch was going to get hers.

 

            There was going to be hell to pay.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story