Author's Chapter Notes:
i should not be starting something new, but my goodness, this has been haunting me for like 3 days now. AH! It'll be a short one, but its one nevertheless. Review pls!

Entering the city limits of Memphis, Valentina sighed in relief. After a six hour drive from Shreveport, she was ready to stop for a couple of hours before continuing. She was over half of the way home, only three more hours to go. Then, oh then, she’d be able to stretch to her little heart’s desire and sleep for as long as she wanted to. 

“I know, baby, I know. Mama’s hungry too,” Valentina softly soothed and rubbed her protruding belly as a loud growl filled the car’s interior. Slight pressure and some mild cramping had been bothering her all morning, but she was chalking it up to being cooped up in the driver’s seat for so long. She’d driven down to Shreveport two days ago, spent all day with her best friend, and now she was driving back. Too much excitement for her to handle at this stage. 

Being almost nine months pregnant, the baby had her constantly uncomfortable. She’d left Shreveport early this morning, around 7am, and it was now 3pm. The never-easing pressure on her bladder had made it near impossible to not stop every hour for a bathroom break, ok and maybe a snack break had snuck in there every so often. 

“Now, where to eat?” she thought aloud as she drove further into Memphis. The shrill of her cell phone laying on the passenger seat broke her out of her food thoughts. 

“Hello?” she spoke into the phone, seeing the ‘Unavailable’ name pop on her screen. 

“Val! Can you hear me? It’s Leoni!” a smile appeared on Valentina’s face as the voice of her best friend came through the device. It sounded so far away, but that was to be expected. 

“Le, yes, I can hear you. Did you land safely?” Valentina questioned. 

“Yes, we all got here alright. We’re going to sleep here tonight then catch the morning flight to Kinshasa,” Leoni explained.

“Are you home yet?” 

“No, I’m riding through Memphis now. I’m going to stop for food somewhere, rest a little bit before finishing up the trip to Franklin,” Valentina replied. 

“Ohh, have some fried pickles for me down at the Gen Store. Lord knows I won’t be able to have those for a long while,” Leoni all but moaned on the other end of the phone. 

“I swear girl, you and those fried pickles. It’s a bit out of the way for me, but just for you, I will head there,” Valentina laughed and maneuvered her car towards the oncoming exit. 

“Alright, well you enjoy those pickles for me. The crew’s got to use the phone too. Please be safe driving and tell Rollins that I say he better take care of you and niece/nephew until I get back. You hear me?” Leoni’s voice broke with emotion. Valentina swallowed thickly as realization that her best friend wouldn’t be with her when she went into labor in a month’s time. 

“I will. You take care of yourself out there, Le. I want you to come back in one piece,” Valentina replied, praying her tears would stay at bay. 

“I will hun, I love you.” 

“Go save lives, sweetie. I love you too,” Valentina bid adieu and the call disconnected. Staring at the phone one last time, she placed it down in the center console and focused on the road. After a few minutes, she pulled to a stop at the stop sign. Putting on her right blinker, she pulled into the dirt parking lot and parked her 4runner. 

Gathering her purse, she stepped out of the car into the muggy 94 degree weather that warmly embraced Tennessee on this beautiful July afternoon. Thankful that she’d opted to wear a knee-length sundress, she adjusted her shades and proceeded to waddle her way up the wooden stairs to the front door. 

“Hello there young lady, let me get the door for ya,” an older gentleman sitting on the porch’s rocking chair offered as she climbed the stairs. Grateful, she smiled. 

“Thank you. How are you doing today?” she greeted as she stood in the open doorway. 

“Oh, I’m doing just dandy, little lady. Just trying to work up the energy to walk on home after that mean grub that I just worked up in there. Hope ya looking for some food today,” he replied with a great rub of his stuffed belly. Valentina couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped her lips. 

“Oh yes, grub is exactly what I’m looking for,” she replied with a great rub of her own belly. He laughed heartily before patting her shoulder and ushering her inside. Thankful for her denim jacket, Valentina shivered a bit as the cold AC air hit her legs. 

“Hello there, how ya doing hun?” a gentle Southern voice greeted her from behind the counter. Pushing her sunglasses up atop her head, Valentina turned and smiled. 

“Doing just fine, ma’am, how are you doing?” she replied walking over to the counter and offering her hand to shake. The lady looked to be about late fifties or so, but she had a youth in her eyes and smile that just put Valentina at ease. 

“Well, I’m doing just wonderful. Look at that pretty little grin on you, you sure do know how to light up a room. What can I do for you?” she offered returning to her task of wiping down the counter. 

“Well, I was passing through town and I was reminded of your fabulous fried pickles. And well, you can see that I’m just full of cravings,” Valentina chuckled as she rubbed her belly once more before gently tucking her hand under her bump. The lady behind the counter laughed with her and motioned her to follow her. Slipping from behind the counter, she wrapped an arm around Valentina’s shoulders. 

“Well, good gracious child, we’ve gotta get you and that little bundle of yours fed. Come on, let’s see what Fred can fix up for you. Fred! Get to grilling!” she yelled from mid-store as they worked their way through the grocery aisles to the dining tables in the back. 

Valentina chuckled and followed. She always loved coming in here; it felt just like the general store back home. She didn’t come often, but she’d visited plenty of times in her short lifetime. 

“By the way hun, the name’s Sandy. You sit your behind here, and we’ll get all taken care of. Want some lemonade or ice tea to drink while we wait for Fred’s sorry ass here to fix your plate,” the older lady said as she pulled out a seat for Valentina to take. 

“Oh, umm…some lemonade would be just fine, thank you,” Valentina replied, trying to mask her laughter behind a polite smile. Sandy winked at her, and left to fetch her drink of choice. 

“Personally, I would’ve gone with the ice tea, hun. But, who am I to tell a pregnant woman any different?” another gentle Southern-accented voice spoke from beside her. Turning in her seat, Valentina saw a blond, curly-haired woman sitting at the same table. 

“Should I switch my choice?” Valentina questioned. 

“Oh no, not at all. I simply prefer the ice tea in this weather. How are you holding up?” the woman replied. Sitting beside her, an older lady with feather white hair sat smiling at her. Both seemed anxiously awaiting her response. Both exuding Southern elegance, that she’d seen so many women in her life possess. She could only hope to one day have an ounce of the same elegance. 

“Oh, I’m making it, I guess. It’s no joke being this big in this heat,” Valentina chuckled placing her hand atop her bump and slightly parting her legs to make herself comfortable. “I’m Valentina, pleasure to meet you.” 

Shaking her offered hand, both women introduced themselves as Lynn and Sadie. At that moment, Sandy walked out with a tall glass of ice-cold lemonade and a plate of fried pickles. Condensation ran down the side of the glass and pooled onto the table. 

“I got Fred working on your plate, hun. It’ll be only a few minutes,” Sandy smiled and took a seat in front of her. 

“You here alone, child?” Sadie, the older of the three women, asked. 

“Yes ma’am, I was telling Ms. Sandy here that I was driving through town on my way home and decided that I needed to have some fried pickles,” Valentina chuckled as she stuffed another fried pickle into her mouth. 

“Where’s home? It’s not Shelby Forest, because I know everyone that lives here,” Sandy replied. Lynn and Sadie laughed, and something told Valentina that Sandy was not lying. 

“Oh no, I live in Franklin,” she explained taking a sip of the lemonade, letting out a satisfied sigh as the cold drink flowed down her throat. 

“You’re a bit far from home, aren’t ya child?” Sadie asked, concern clouding her gentle eyes. “You gotta be near popping and you’re traveling alone?”

“Well, yes ma’am, I’m a bit far, but I’ll be alright. I got another month before my due date. No traveling after this, I promise,” Valentina smiled in an attempt to ease the worry from the older woman’s face. 

“Momma, I’m sure Valentina, here, knows how to take care of herself,” Lynn soothed a hand down Sadie’s arm, and discreetly winked at Valentina. Sadie smiled warmly, and the concern eased off her face. Valentina smiled and focused on her fried pickles once again. Throughout her entire pregnancy, it’d been just her, Leoni, and Rick figuring things out as they went. So, the concern from an older woman, a mother at that, was welcomed. 

Sandy finally brought over a steaming plate of best looking baked macaroni and cheese, rosemary baked chicken breast, green beans, and a basket of warm biscuits. Valentina’s mouth watered at first sight; this may cause her great discomfort but she was willing to risk it. Next time she’d be able to head back here to Memphis would be after the baby, so she was going to enjoy this last meal. 

“Know what you’re having dear?” Lynn asked after some mindless chatter about everything and nothing. Lynn and Sadie were now nursing cups of coffee and slices of pecan pie. 

“Oh no, I wanted it to be a surprise. But, I have to be honest, I’ve been dreaming that it’s going to be a boy. But, I don’t want to get my hopes up,” Valentina put down her fork and smiled brightly. 

“But you’ve got your home all set up, I suppose?” she questioned. 

“Oh yes, I started getting it ready since I found out,” Valentina replied before beginning her ramblings on the nursery’s décor. Lynn and Sadie looked on with great interest and admiration. Valentina looked so young, yet she seemed in total control of her life. Everything about her was in control, yet she was such a carefree, friendly, and happy spirit. There was a genuine excitement and anticipation for her child’s birth. She constantly had a hand on her protruding belly, no doubt rubbing away the sting from a kick or just out of habit. 

Another hour or so possibly passed by with Lynn and Sadie sharing baby secrets with Valentina, with Sandy joining them occasionally whenever there were no customers in the store. Valentina was like a sponge, trying to absorb as much of the tips and advice as possible. After taking a much needed trip to the restroom, Valentina returned and stood by the table. 

“Leaving so soon, honey?” Sandy asked walking up to the sitting area and wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulders. 

“I’m not really looking forward to three more hours cramped up in a car, but no, I was taking a chance to walk around. I don’t think the baby’s liking all this sitting down,” Valentina chuckled while rubbing an aching spot on her underbelly. She knew that cramping was a side effect of pregnancy, but for goodness sake, this was getting ridiculous. 

“Well, here, let’s go walk around some outside to help ease the baby,” Lynn suggested. Getting up and following Sandy and Valentina, Lynn helped get Sadie outside and seated on one of the porch’s rocking chairs. 

“Don’t dogs on the brink of birthing walk around looking for a comfortable spot?” Valentina joked as she walked around the parking lot with Lynn by her side. Sandy had stayed up on the store’s porch with Sadie by her side. 

“Well, yes, but walking around helps. Are you sure you’re not closer to your due date? You know sometimes those things are off,” Lynn questioned as she saw a slight grimace decorate Valentina’s face. 

“My due date in August 23rd, and I calculated that it’s right too. One of those one-time deals, you know?” Valentina shyly confessed. Lynn smiled in comfort and linked arms with a waddling Valentina. 

“You know, to be nine months along, only your belly gives it away. You’re a small little thing,” Lynn commented taking note of Valentina’s otherwise slim frame. 

“Ms. Lynn, I’ve gained 42 pounds. I’m anything but small,” Valentina chuckled before hissing slightly. Lynn looked over alarmed at her hissing. “Got a rock in my sandal, sorry,” she explained. Both women chuckled. After about half an hour of walking around, Lynn got a call from her son asking if she was ready to be picked up. Valentina took that opportunity to announce her departure. 

“Oh honey, I really would appreciate it if you’d call us here at the store and let us know that you made it alright. Give me one second, let me get you our phone number,” Sandy offered as she walked back into the building. Lynn was helping Sadie get down the stairs to wait for her son to come and pick them up. Bidding both of the goodbye, Valentina walked over to her car to turn it on and put up her purse. Leaning into the car via the driver’s seat, Valentina felt a blindly pain pierce her abdomen. 

Unable to make a sound from the pain, her hand flew to her stomach. Finally, the pain subsided and Valentina was able to straighten out. Taking a deep breath, she looked down worried at her stomach. Another cramp shot from the left to right of her stomach. 

Please no, no, not here. 

Putting down her window slightly, she closed the car’s door and stood waiting for Sandy to come back. In a second round of pain, she felt a distinct warm feeling caress her legs. 

“Ms. Lynn!” her panicked voice betrayed her. Lynn turned from where she was helping Sadie climb into the front seat of a black SUV. 

Locking terrified hazel eyes with concerned blue eyes, Valentina bit her lip and looked down towards the ground before looking back up at Lynn. 

Time stopped as Valentina doubled over in pain and a guttural groan filled the Tennessee countryside air. 

“I think my water just broke,” she whispered.

Chapter End Notes:
Review! Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story