Author's Chapter Notes:
I should totally be working on my #PopTober entry thats due, erm, today! But, this sped through my brain and took over. Sorry! Enjoy! Review! Review! Review!

Maneuvering the vehicle through the streets, he couldn’t help from looking at the backseat through the rearview mirror at every traffic light. He silently watched as Val kept an attentive watch of the baby. Lynn and Ms. Sandy were rambling about one thing or another, and he was used to it. He usually blocked them out anyway. But, Val seemed lost in her own world. She was completely mesmerized by her son. Running a finger all along his face, dropping kisses on his tiny fists, and double checking his little blanket. 

Usually, babies made him nervous. He liked to hold them and tend to them, but they made him extremely nervous. But, right now, all he wanted was to ask him mom to take over the wheel so he could sit in the backseat with Evan. Maybe it was a direct result of being there for the birth, but he’d never felt anything like this before. 

“You know, this is all a bit unnerving,” he swallowed thickly, receiving some confused glances. 

“What is?” Lynn asked. 

“Driving home with a newborn in the backseat,” Just replied before hissing in pain. Lynn had reached over and smacked him on the head. 

“Oh, get over yourself,” Lynn sighed, and Val chuckled from the backseat. 

“Nevermind him, hun, we’re here now,” Ms. Sandy announced, patting Val on the leg as the vehicle came to a halt. Looking out the window, Val saw the expansive house in front of her and many cars in the driveway. Shrugging, she opened her door and reached back in to pull Evan from his car seat. 

“I’ll get his bag and your bag, so don’t worry,” Justin announced, coming up behind her. He watched her ease the infant from his seat and cradle him close to her chest. The last bit of the daylight gave the pending night a nice orange glow, allowing him to see, for the first time, the baby’s eyes. 

“What color are his eyes?” he asked, not being able to place a specific color on them. 

“They look a bit hazel right now, but I guess they might change,” she shrugged, and turned from the car door. Justin hung the baby bag and the tote with her clothes on his shoulder before leading the way to the front door. 

“Is this your house?” Val asked, walking down the pebble driveway, keeping a close eye on her step. 

“It’s my mom and dad’s house. But, I’m staying here for now. I’ve got renovations going on at my place,” he explained, his hand guiding her up the few steps to entrance. Following Lynn and Ms. Sandy through the entrance, Val felt a warmth enveloped her. She stood there in the foyer, looking around at the simple yet elegant décor. 

“Come here a second, sweetheart,” Lynn beckoned her from a little ways down. Val’s head turned towards her before her legs carried her to Lynn. 

“Surprise!” 

Val’s body was frozen in shock. Standing before her, maybe about fifteen or twenty people stood with party hats. A large ‘Congratulations’ banner hung over the centered fireplace, and baby blue, purple, and silver balloons hung everywhere. Quickly realizing that this was a baby shower for her, she gasped and covered her mouth. Tears quickly formed in her eyes and she turned away, right into Justin’s chest. He’d come up behind her and he laughed at her reaction. 

“Hey now, don’t cry!” he chuckled, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and his other hand pulling her face from his shirt. Her mouth opened and close, trying to respond but she simply couldn’t. 

“I think she’d trying to say ‘Thank you’,” he kidded, and everyone laughed lightly. 

“Yes, thank you, wow,” she was able to choke out, with tears streaming down her face. Trying desperately to dry her tears, she gave up. Tightening her hold on her baby, she forced her legs to move away from the doorway and towards the guests.

“I don’t know anyone, so please tell me your name so I can properly thank you,” she laughed, flabbergasted that this group of strangers had simply welcomed her. One-by-one, she made her way down the line introducing herself to everyone, tears still on her face, shaking hands, hugging folks, and thanking them. 

“JC, congratulations on the baby,” soul-deep and bright blue eyes greeted her, and shook her hand. 

“I know who you are, and this means so much to me. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you,” Val smiled and wrapped an arm around his neck as his arms wrapped cautiously around her waist. 

“We have food in the kitchen, so let’s move there,” Lynn’s voice rose over the chatter, and directed the group. Val stepped away from the embrace and smile, timidly. There was a flutter in her stomach, and it was making her uncomfortable. Turning around, she looked around for Justin. 

“Don’t look so scared, it’s all family,” a voice startled her from behind and caused her to whip around. 

“Trace, right?” she guessed, trying to remember the man’s name. He stood, short in stature, but tall in confidence. 

“Yeah, that’s right. You look scared and lost,” he observed.  

“Well, this is all a bit much to try and wrap my head around. It’s all fabulous, but overwhelming,” she explained, laughing nervously. 

“Understandable, but just relax. We’re all here because we want to be, but if it becomes too much, let us know. Do you need something?” he asked, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder. Lifting her eyes up, she felt a great sense of relief wash over her. Allowing herself to breathe deeply, she smiled. 

“I was looking for Justin. I was going to ask him if his car was open. I left Evan’s car seat in there, and I wanted to put him down for a little bit,” Val explained, her eyes now wandering around looking for Justin again. 

“Here, don’t worry. I’ll go get the car seat, and we’ll get him all settled in,” he smiled, and turned away. Walking out of the living room, he quickly pushed his way outside. Unbuckling the car seat, he carried it back inside and brought it to Val’s feet, where she’d taken a seat on the sofa. Leaning down, she quickly adjusted Evan into the carrier and fixed the blanket around his small frame. 

“Ready to get some food?” Trace asked, standing over her. Looking up, she nodded and slowly pulled herself up from the couch. Standing up straight, a weird look passed over her face before she chuckled slightly. 

“What is it?” Trace asked, confused. 

“I haven’t been able to get up from the couch on my own for almost four months now, it felt weird,” Val explained, laughing some more. 

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but when I saw you at the General Store, man, you were huge,” Trace stated, wowed. Val turned a raised eyebrow at him before laughing. 

“Yeah, I was,” she snorted, and they both dissolved in giggles. Giggling their way into the kitchen, Val felt at home. Everyone was making her feel completely at home, embracing her like a longtime friend or better yet, a family member. She was still trying to learn everyone’s name, but they were all chatting her up. After everyone had grabbed food, they’d moved back into the large, open living room, where everyone took a spot in whatever open space they could find. As people finished eating, requests to hold Evan began. 

Lynn offered to pick him up for Val, and she gingerly taking him from the carrier. The first was Sadie, who began dropping not-so-subtle hints at Justin, Nick and Rachel, both Justin’s cousins, that she was ready for great-grandkids. 

“How about we get some gifts going? I’m sure Val will want to get to bed soon, and I don’t want to keep her up all night,” Lynn announced, standing in the center of the room. 

“Gifts?” Val asked, confused. Her head raised from here she’d been trying not to choke on her grapes from laughing at Justin, Nick and Rachel’s horrified expressions. 

“Well, of course. It’s not a baby shower without gifts, plus you’ll need things for Evan while you’re here,” Lynn replied, her body twisting around looking for the pile of gifts. 

“But, I have everything I need for the baby,” she explained, looking around at everyone. She was beginning to feel bad, like a charity case. They didn’t need to get her anything, what they’d done already was more than ever expected. 

“Yes, dear, in Franklin, you may. But, you are not fit to head home yet, with baby Evan home now, you’ll need things for him,” Ms. Sandy called her nonsense. And, she was right. Valentina had been prepared for Evan’s arrival in Franklin, not in Memphis. She’d need a bit of clothes, diapers, car seat, bassinette…etc.

“Now, quit worrying and open gifts. Here, this is the first one. It is from Trace and Rachel,” Lynn said, and handed her a rather large gift bag. Putting her plate down on the floor beside her feet, Val took the gift bag and began taking out the tissue paper. Unearthing a variety of baby clothes, she couldn’t help her eyes misting. Thanking them with a hug, she set their present aside as another one was set in front of her. Many of them consisted of diaper cakes, receiving blankets, and miscellaneous baby baskets. 

Lynn rolled in her gift, a very luxurious-looking baby stroller that brought more tears to Val’s eyes. And finally, Justin stepped up and handed her a small envelop. She opened it and took out a greeting card. Reading the congratulatory message on the cover, she opened it and a small picture fluttered out onto her lap. Picking it up and turning it over, a gasp escaped her mouth. 

“I spoke to Rollins and he told me everything that you had and didn’t have. He mentioned a bassinette, but no crib. So, I thought it’d only be appropriate for me to gift that to you,” Justin explained, burying his hands in his pockets. 

“Oh my, it’s gorgeous!” she exclaimed, fighting through her tears to speak. Pushing herself up, she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck and his hands wrapped tightly in return around her waist. 

“Thank you so much. You don’t know how much all this means to me,” Val expressed, pulling herself away from Justin’s embrace. She turned to look at everyone, and it was this grand emotion that she felt in her entire body. “I’m a total stranger to everyone in this room, and yet, it hasn’t mattered to everyone. I was in need of a helping hand, and Lynn, Ms. Sadie, and Ms. Sandy were godsend. Trace, thank you. Justin, I can’t even thank you enough. Did he tell y’all that he cut the cord?” 

Everyone looked shocked, and Justin laughed nervously. 

“No, really, he was just great. I will never forget this. It just means so much to me,” Val’s hand flew to cover her mouth, as the emotions became too much once more. Everyone else could see the sincerity in her, and the emotion was almost contagious. There was silence in the room for a brief moment until a shriek from Evan, in Paul’s arms, broke through. 

“I think someone may be a little hungry,” Paul deduced as he stood to hand the baby over to Val. 

“Let’s hope he latches this time around,” Lynn replied, watching as Val took hold of Evan. Before Val could ask for a place to go feed him, everyone began to announce their departure. They all promised to come visit her and Evan before she headed out, and they all expressed their desire to stay in touch. After bidding everyone farewell, Val followed Lynn to a downstairs bedroom that they’d set up for her for the time being. Settling against the headboard, Lynn guided her as she attempted for the first time on her own to get Evan to latch onto her breast. 

“There he goes…” Lynn cooed as Evan began suckling. Val was in complete awe as she looked down at her son suckling on her breast. Patting her thigh, Lynn said she’d let her be for a while, give her some time alone. Settling in to watch him nurse, Val finally allowed her body relax. There was soreness between her legs. It was a dull and achy feeling, but she was realizing that probably after sitting for such a long time, she was becoming uncomfortable. 

“Knock, knock” came the soft voice outside the parted door. Quickly reaching for a receiving blanket, Val covered herself up. 

“Come in,” she called out, equally soft. Looking at the door, she watched as the same pair of bright blue eyes appeared. 

“Hey, sorry for disturbing you, but I was about to head to bed and I realized that you never opened my present,” JC announced, holding up the perfectly wrapped square box. 

“He’s just nursing, no disruption. I thought I’d opened everything, I’m sorry,” Val replied, reaching a hand out for the box. 

“Well, it’s a bit heavy so how about I just put it down on the bed for you,” JC offered, walking further into the room and setting it down at the foot of the bed. 

“Why don’t you unwrap it for me? I’d really like to open it with you here,” Val asked, peeping under the sheet to check on the baby. His eyes were fluttering, and his pouty lips hungrily feeding. 

Stepping back towards the gift box, JC shrugged and began to slowly peel the gift paper. Finally, he lifted the box’s lid and pulled out an embroidered keepsake quilt. Unfolding it, he revealed a pastel-colored quilt with embroidered nursery-rhymes. Mary’s little lam, the cow jumping over the moon, the little piggy, Mother goose, Humpty Dumpty, and the twinkling little star. They were all there and accounted for. 

“Oh my, JC! That is just beautiful! No, it’s gorgeous! I love it! Thank you so much!” Val exclaimed, careful to keep her voice as soft as she could despite her excitement. 

“You’re very welcome. I didn’t know what to get you, and I asked my mom. She said that every baby needs a blanket and a quilt,” JC shrugged, a slight crimson shade on his cheeks from her praising. 

“Tell your mom that I said ‘thank you’ as well. This has all just been so much, and now this is just even more wonderful. And, I’m just this blubbering mess that doesn’t know how to say anything more than ‘thank you’ and it makes me sound like such a fool,” Val rambled as once again, more tears rolled down her cheeks. 

“Oh, please, don’t cry. I don’t know what to do with a crying girl,” JC urged, nervous leg-jittering beginning to take over his body. He always hated when girls cried. 

“They’re happy tears!” she exclaimed, quickly lowering her voice when she felt Evan jerk, startled, against her breast. 

“But, they’re tears!” JC urged, looking desperately around for some tissue. Not seeing any, he did the most natural thing. He leaned over her, and with the pads of his thumbs, he wiped away her tears. Her eyes slammed, surprised, into his, and the smooth yet rough skin of his thumbs continued wiping her tears. 

“Thank you,” she whispered. 

“Congratulations,” he whispered back, placing a startling peck on her temple while simultaneously smoothing back her hair. Standing up straight, he turned and walked back to the door. 

“Goodnight, Val,” he said, waving and ducking out the door. The soft click of the door violently broke Val from her reverie. 

“Holy shit,” she breathed.

Chapter End Notes:
Review! Review! Review! Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story