Author's Chapter Notes:

Two long months -- I am a slacker! Forgive me, I beg of thee :)

I hope y'all haven't forgotten about Valentina, but if you have, go back! Read from the beginning, and leave a review!

The air was dry, and the sun was beating down. The sprawling and luscious greens were so inviting. The lawn was manicured, enticing everyone to maybe taking a roll or two like when they were children. The pool’s surface twinkled like crystal as the sun heated up the water. The garden off to the side gave the lavish backyard character, and warmth. The tropicalia created an oasis. Christmas palms swayed in the slight breeze, and blooming potted bougainvilleas climbed trellises. In the back corner of the lawn, an outdoor wicker seating area was shaded under a mahogany gazebo with scattered pots of herbs and flowering perennials. 

It was the perfect summer afternoon. The view could be a snapshot in the Home and Garden magazine. Vibrant colors in the flowers, the furniture cushions, and the fabrics brought the tropics to the Memphis backyard. Val was sure that when the sun went down, Lynn would light the firepit and turn on the string of outdoor lights around the patio and gazebo. Then, the twilight would make the pool twinkle. 

The aroma of savory seasoned meat hung in the air, invading everyone’s nostrils and teasing everyone’s tummy. Condensation pooled around tall, cool glasses of the strawberry lemonade that Val had made earlier. Paul and Justin had insisted that they grill out for dinner, and so here they were, waiting for the chicken and steaks to cook. Inside, pots and covered dishes were filled with baked beans, potato salad, and coleslaw. And, soon, a few more people would arrive with more food. Sadie was sure to bring her peach cobbler and blueberry crumble pie. Justin had made sure to personally request those specific desserts. 

For now, though, fresh fruit and veggies along with chips and dips decorated the tabletop.  

Justin and Trace were tossing a football back and forth with Nick, while Paul looked on from beside the pool. Rachel, Lynn and Val sat at the patio table hiding from the heat and chitchatting about anything and everything. This had become a bit of second nature to Val now. Every evening, the entire clan would come together. It was almost like it was mandatory for everyone to congregate at the Harless’ residence. Lynn had assured her it was merely because Justin was in town. 

“He’s not here very often, so we all want to savor every minute with him,” she’d said, and Valentina had felt her heart ache. She was used to her circle being relatively small, and it made her long for people like this in her life. 

With Evan’s warm body snuggled against her chest and shoulder, Val felt a bit of courage bubble over. Rachel and Lynn were discussing Justin’s upcoming schedule, and Val had been silent for a while. Taking the moment to observe all that around her, she knew she was blessed.

           “So, I was thinking of maybe heading back to Franklin after Evan’s next check-up on Wednesday,” she blurted out before Rachel could respond to Lynn’s previous comment. 

She knew her decision would cause some uproar, especially from Lynn, but Valentina didn’t want to overstay her welcome. She felt like she needed to go home. Sure she spoke with Rollins on the daily, and he was taking care of her house and her dog, Madge. But, she missed her home, her space, her life. The nursery that she had spent so much time and effort decorating, Evan still did not know.

           “Valentina, this is your home. You are welcomed here for however long you want,” shock and sadness cast a shadow over both Lynn and Rachel’s face. Lynn’s response was what she had expected, but the sincerity in her words still brought moisture to her eyes.

           “Oh I know this, Lynn, and really, I am so grateful for everything that everyone has done for Evan and me. But, I miss home,” she confessed, a sad smile on her lips.

           “Oh honey, I understand. I just don’t want you to think that you need to rush. You’ve become a part of the family, and so has this little jewel,” Lynn replied, reaching out to caress Evan’s soft cheek, promptly the infant to redirect his newborn attention to her.

           “Who am I gonna have girl talk with now?” Rachel sorrowfully asked.

           “That’s why they invented the phones, Rach,” Val retorted, wrapping an arm around Rachel’s shoulders and pulling her in. “Plus, I’ll visit often! Now I have a reason to visit Memphis.”

           “You’re darn right you will, and I will make my way out there too. I don’t think I could stay away from this little guy for too long,” Lynn replied, her hands reaching out for Evan. Val smiled, watching his head lull as he readjusted to Lynn’s arms before snuggling against her.

           “I’ll get it!” Justin shouted, jogging past them into the house. It was then that they heard the shrill of the telephone inside the house. Trace and Nick paused their game of toss and joined the women at the table, as Paul checked on the grill.

           “Justin suggested we pay the lake a little visit tonight, you in?” Nick bumped his shoulder with Rachel as his fingers took a piece of diced pineapple from the array of fresh fruit in the center of the table.

           “Yeah, I don’t think Val has been there before. Wanna go?” Rachel turned to Val, who shook her head from behind her glass of lemonade. “Why not?”

           “It’ll be too chilly for Evan to be lakeside,” she argued, and Lynn quickly silenced her.

           “You leave Evan at home with Paul and I, and you go have fun with these idiots. Don’t argue because you won’t win,” she looked at her pointedly, and Val knew the decision had been made for her. Nodding, she smiled and thanked her. 

####

           “Hello?” the phone tucked safely between his cheek and shoulder, Justin moved fluidly around the kitchen washing his hands and taking a bite into a granny smith apple.

           “May I speak with Valentina?” there was static in the phone and the voice sounded distant, yet feminine. There was a hint of uncertainty and urgency in the woman’s voice. Justin quickly pulled the receiver away and noted the ‘Restricted’ on the caller ID.

           “Yes, of course, may I ask who’s calling?” he replied, speaking around the monstrous-sized bite in his mouth.

            “Adams. Leoni Adams, I’m Valentina’s friend,” his ears had to strain to hear her clearly, but he caught her words. Rushing from the kitchen, he made his way outside to his parents’ back porch, where Val sat with everyone else. “Yes, hold one second.”

           “Val, it’s Leoni on the phone,” he covered the phone’s mouth piece as he interrupted their conversation. It was the phone call she’d been waiting on. 

####

           “Le! Le! Can you hear me?” Val nearly shouted through the receiver as she plugged one ear in efforts to improve her hearing. There was static on the other end.

           “Yes! Val! Can you hear me honey?” the sweet sound of her best friend’s voice washed security, warmth, and peace over her from head to toe.

           “Oh Le, I miss you so much,” Val heard her voice crack, relief knocking down the walls surrounding her composure. She took a seat at the bottom of the staircase and held the phone receiver as close as possible, as if it could bring her friend closer.

           “I miss you too, Val. But, honey, I don’t have all that much time to talk. Satellite signal is the worst, but I talked to Rollins. He said the baby came early, in Memphis. Is everything ok?” Leoni was always the levelheaded of the two. She never lost her cool, and always knew what to say or do.

           “He’s great, ready to meet his auntie! I’ll send you an email soon with pictures, when will you be in the city?” Usually, these volunteer mission trips lasted between 10 to 14 days. They would go home for a couple of weeks, and do a follow-up trip. Sometimes, this repeated several times if the area being treated was new to the UNHCR. With Leoni, she was a veteran doctor, so she was assigned the longer mission trips. This time – 31 days.

           “I’ll be there by the end of the week, so send them immediately! I want to meet the little guy. When are you going back home?” Val was getting ready to answer when the front door swung open, and distracted her. JC walked in, looking too cool for school in reflective aviator shades and his ever-present brown leather bag.

           “Wednesday, hopefully, I’ll let you know. But tell me, are you doing ok? You settled in ok, no stomach bug? Fever? Anything?”  Valentina rambled her usual list of maladies, all of which Leoni had experienced at one time or another. There’d been one trip to Sudan where she’d contracted malaria, and Valentina had flown to meet with her in Sevilla.

           “No, no, everything was great this time. A few others got a bit sick, but I was good. I’m sorry I wasn’t there Val,” Leoni’s voice was far and static-y, but Val could hear the emotion and sincerity in her words. When she’d found out she was pregnant, she knew for sure who would be beside her the entire time – Leoni. But, life happens. The only comfort that remained was that she knew Leoni would be there for the rest of their lives.

           “Listen to me, Le! Don’t be sorry. Everything went great. Evan is healthy, and I’m great. Don’t worry about us. I just want you to come home safe, understood?” Valentina managed a small smile and wave when JC noticed her on the stairs with the phone to her ear. He’d tucked his shades into the collar of his immaculate white tee and stored his bag in the closet by the door. 

She’d expected him to go on his way after her greeting, but instead he leaned against the staircase banister and crossed his arms across his chest. A smile remained on her face as if questioning him, but he merely smiled in return and shrugged his shoulders. And so, for the next five or so minutes that she remained on the phone until the connection died, he stood there.

           “Hey” she said, clicking the receiver off and holding it close to her heart.

           “You look happy, happier than I’ve seen you in a few days,” he commented, moving from his post to her side, sitting shoulder-to-shoulder. His head turned slightly, and his eyes watching her from the corner. She felt the smile on her lips, and she gave him a non-committal shrug. In the past few days, since their midnight chat, she’d felt this connection with him. The banter between them resembled that of old friends.

           “That was Leoni, I hadn’t reached her since before Evan was born. I needed to know she was safe, and tell her she was now an auntie,” her smile grew when he playfully bumped her shoulder with his.

           “And you a brand new mommy. I’m glad she’s doing good, and I’m sure she is relieved to hear from you too. Where’s everyone?” JC asked, leaning back a bit to look into the living room and seeing no one.

           “Outside, we’re grilling for dinner. I came inside to take the call. I should head back. You coming?” she asked, standing and readjusting the jean shorts that she wore. That was something else, she was ready to get back into her old clothes. She was sure Rachel was tired of lending her clothes.

           “Let me wash up, and I’ll meet you out there,” he replied, standing up as well and turning to make his way back upstairs. “It’s nice to see you smiling again, Val.”

           “Hurry up, Romeo! I’m breastfeeding, so I might eat everything before you make it outside,” she teased, hoping to disguise her blush. His bellowing laughter echoed in the upstairs hallway before she heard a door open and shut. “I need to get away from him.” 

#### 

The afternoon was beginning to cool down, and the sun was slowly creeping down the darkening skies. With their bellies full, everyone sat around the outdoor glass table in a semi comatose state. Half-lidded eyes accompanied relaxed bodies and drunken laughter. The adults had moved inside, complaining of mosquitoes. Lynn had taken Evan with her, citing that it was nearing his bath time before bedtime.

           “Let’s head to the lake” Trace suggested, tipping the last bit of beer into his mouth. Agreeing, they all stood and headed inside to leave. Val checked on Evan as Lynn was finishing up dressing him for bed, and asked Lynn one last time if she was sure about taking him for the night. Colics were still bothersome with him, and Val did not want Lynn to have to suffer. 

Being shooed away, Val grabbed her sandals before meeting the group outside. They agreed to walk the short distance to the lake, to avoid driving while drunk. Val obviously wasn’t drinking, but she hadn’t felt comfortable driving Justin’s car.

           “Val, I’m taking you downtown tomorrow. Just you and me. I can’t let you go back on Wednesday without having a girl’s only day with you. You’re just too cool,” Rachel drunkenly hung her arm around Val’s shoulder, tugging her close to her side. Val emitted a laugh before wrapping her arm around Rachel’s waist in return.

           “It’s a date, Rach,” she smiled, shaking her head at Rachel’s antics. In the blink of an eye, Rachel had rushed from her side and jumped on Nick’s back. Screaming ‘giddy up’ and playfully bucking, she had everyone in stitches. Looking around at everyone laughing, joking, hooting, and hollering, Val couldn’t remember having this much fun in a long time. These were moments and memories made with lifelong friends, and here she was with a group of incredible people that she’d only met a week or so ago. 

Shaking her head clear of solemn thoughts, she vowed to enjoy the night. She was going to let laughter take over her body, and happiness flow through her veins.

           “Run in traffic, Half Squat” she heard Rachel grumble, tossing Trace from her back as he attempted to jump on her. With her head tossed back, Val laughed joyously and freely.

           “Leaving me so soon, huh?” a warm shoulder bumped into hers, silencing her laughter and causing her to stumble slightly. Straightening her head, she saw that it was JC. He was now walking beside her, his hands buried in the pockets of his cargo shorts. The evening’s last bit of sun glow danced along his exposed skin. The black tank with cut-off sleeves exposed his ripped biceps. His teeth held his bottom lip captive, and it made Val feel weakened. His eyes turned to meet hers, and she swore she saw sadness. It gave her courage.

           “It’s all a part of my ploy to get you out to Nashville,” she quipped, bumping her shoulder against his, longing to feel his skin once more. Her response took him by surprise, and his nervous laugh informed her of this. Shaking his head and wagging his finger at her, his response was every bit dangerous.

           “It is working.”

Chapter End Notes:
REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!

Incomplete
jersey_tenn is the author of 34 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Believe in Love also liked 174 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story