He was cute. Really cute. Still drunk, kind of a dork, but really cute.

But you‘re leaving, Gabby reminded herselfHad to keep reminding herself, playing the statement like a tape in continuous loop in her head. Leaving. Leaving the state, crossing the country, to live far, far away. Don‘t even think about liking him. She couldn't help it. She was into him, maybe.

After about an hour out on the patio, the cool air was more cold than comfortable and her eyes were crossing and itching to close. She yawned a few times during the course of a drawn out story about his first trip to New York with *NSYNC, when they toured the Empire State Building and the wind was so vicious that they were nearly swept off their feet. JC laughed, out loud, remembering how Chris was already terrified of heights and they had nearly given him a heart attack by threatening to send him off the edge.

"You guys were so mean to him," she said, aware that her voice was monotone and droll. She hadn't meant to sound bored... it was just 4am. She was tired. She had things to do. Why couldn't she leave this man's house?

"He was mean to us. He was kind of a dick, I mean-" He stopped, mid-sentence, and watched her yawn. Embarrassed, she tried to stop it, but it couldn't be held back.

"I'm sorry. You're not boring. It's late and I'm cold and-"

"Oh. Let's go inside. C'mon."

He stood, offering a hand to help her up. She took it, swooping down to pick up her shoes as well, letting him lead her back across the patio and into the house. He dropped her at the couch and waited until she sat down.

"I'm gonna grab something from the kitchen. You want anything to drink? Juice? Beer? Coke?"

"That something you're grabbing isn't alcohol, right?"

"I'm pretty near sober," he said, a sarcastic sneer masking his smile. "I will have some water, since you're so worried."

"I mean, I did almost have to fish you out of the pool."

"Now you sound like a hero. Didn't you say something about not getting your jeans wet?"

"We call that spin, in the magazine business."

He laughed and headed toward the kitchen. Cabinets opened and closed, drawers opened and closed. Cellophane wrapper and paper bags and the sound of the microwave, and then the scent of popcorn carried from the kitchen to the living room. She settled into the couch, surprisingly comfortable. He was doing everything possible to keep her there with him. And awake.

Wow. He must really not want to be alone.

Laden with two bottles of water and a bowl of popcorn, JC settled into the corner of the couch, pulling her over so she leaned up against his chest. He flipped around the movie channels until he found something they could both agree on-Pretty Woman.

"Welcome to Hollywood," JC quoted. "What's your dream?"

"See, I liked the Julia Roberts character," Gabby admitted, crunching on popcorn. "But I liked her friend more."

"Kit De Luca? Yeah she's a little spitfire. Every prostitute needs a great best friend."

"Well, and I've had a girl crush on Laura San Giacomo, ever since The Stand."

"Good flick," he said, tossing a handful of popcorn into his mouth. "Scary, though."

"The good outweighs the scary. I love the part where they're talking about the fairy tale, the Prince Charming, you know? And Vivian asks her who that ever worked out for, and Kit says, Cindafuckin'rella." She laughed, adding, "I always wanted to be called that."

"Not Gab-Gabriele?"

Gabby burst into delirious giggles, nearly choking on a kernel of popcorn. "Shut up! I didn't know if I wanted you to know me as Gabby the fun girl, or Gabrielle, the serious writer. I wanted to make a good impression."

"Honey, you wasted a good impression on a man who was falling down drunk."

"Shhhh,"she hissed, tapping him on the chest. "I like this part..."

We‘re going to be spending an obscene amout of money...

Exactly how obscene an amount of money were you talking about? Just... profane or really offensive?

"You like that part? Where the guy drags her to a shop and dresses her up so she fits into his LA wet dream and doesn‘t look like a...you know..." His voice trailed off, seemingly on purpose.

"Like a whore?" Gabby volunteered. "Okay, not the deeper meaning part, no. But I like the sarcasm and how it's so Beverly Hills. To a tee."

"Got that right."

"You know... this is kind of ironic."

"What is?"

"Us. Watching this movie. Okay, you said you didn't want to be alone, tonight. In the movie, Edward picks up Vivian because he doesn't want to be alone. And she thinks it's just gonna be this quickie... thing. And I thought I was just dropping you off, on my way home. And he convinces her to stay." She twisted around so she could see him, face to face. "And you won't let me leave your house."

He was almost smiling. Almost. He blinked, slowly, then asked, "If I agree to that irony, am I saying you‘re a prostitute?"

"No. You're just agreeing to the irony."

"Then... I should point out that it's not really irony. More coincidental. You're a writer. You should know that."

She laughed, and then blushed. "Touché. I would have caught it, if I wasn't tired. But what a coincidence, huh?"

Gabby wasn't sure what she was doing. Or if he would even respond, but fuck it... she was leaving town anyway--may as well go out with a bang. All it took was a few seconds of concentrated staring, her eyes moving from his eyes to his lips and back to his eyes. He picked up on the hint and moved in, brushing his lips across hers and then opened his mouth.

Soft. Slow. Heady. Damn. He was a good kisser.

JC moved the bowl of popcorn out of the way and sat up slightly, turning his body toward her. Quiet, moaning sounds were coming from him, deep in his throat. He tasted like butter and salt and smelled like man and felt amazing. He leaned in, pressing against her. Her hands slid up his arms, gripping their strength all the way up until her arms locked around his neck.

He tilted, moving them to the side so they laid out on the couch, then rolled so he was on top of her, his hands constantly moving, roaming her thighs, her legs, her arms, rubbing the skin beneath her thin blouse. His lips left her and reappeared in the dip of her neck. They were soft, so soft and smooth and yet firm, making their way down her chest. He licked the swell of one breast and then another, and then reached under her blouse and pushed up, exposing a taut flat belly.

He groaned, continuing his light assault on her from the underside of each breast, down to her belly button and beyond, to the band of her jeans and back up. No matter how hard she willed him to do it, he wouldn't unsnap them. She would have to ask.

"Gabby." JC hovered above her, staring down at her, his arousal making an imprint in her thigh. "Do you want to?"

"Yeah." Did she just say that? Without thinking? And she was critical of him for getting in a car with a stranger? "I mean... I mean, yeah. If you want to."

He smiled, nodding. "Not here. Not enough room. C'mon."

JC sat up, pulling her up with him and led her by the hand to the staircase and up the stairs. His bedroom was cool and dark, and from what she could see from the pre-dawn glow, very comfortable and welcoming. She didn‘t feel like she was sneaking around with some celebrity. Just, you know, sleeping with a guy she just met. Ugh.

JC crawled onto the bed on his hands and knees, glancing back at her like ‘follow me'. So she did, laying next him in the King sized bed. He stretched out on his back, yawning toward the ceiling.

"See. It‘s late, I told you."

"Yeah.  But I'm up. Don't worry."

She giggled, glancing down at him, visible through the thin cotton pants he wore. "You are... quite up."

He gave her a devilish half grin and rolled to his side. "So there's a part in that movie, which we‘re probably missing right now, where Edward climbs the trellis outside Vivian's place, like the Prince in her story. And when he gets to the Princess, he asks her, what happens after he climbs the tower and rescues her?"

"She rescues him right back."

He smiled, stroking her cheek with the tips of his fingers. "I didn't want to be here by myself, so I went out last night. I was in a room full of people but I was alone, and I was coming back to a house where I'd be alone.  I probably wouldn't have made it home, but then you came and rescued me. And I know you're leaving town and all, but-- "

Barely audible, Gabby said, "You could rescue me right back."

JC laughed aloud, scooting closer to her. "That's exactly what I was thinking I would do."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: drunkjc