Flashback circa early 2006

 

 

"How many restaurants has he opened so far?"  Sarah asked JC, the guy she's been casually dating for five months.

 

"About three I believe.  It's never easy keeping up with that guy."  JC replied with a laugh.  Sarah nods her head before asking.

 

"So if this is a party celebrating the grand opening of a restaurant, why are we going to his house?"

 

"I don't know.  Justin craves intimacy.  He's only invited a few people over to help him celebrate.  Nothing too grand, just twenty of his closest friends."

 

"I guess that's intimate enough.  Are you ready?"  Sarah asked, standing from her comfortable position on JC's very nice black leather sofa.

 

"Yep, let's go."

 

 

A couple hours and a few tequila shots later.....

 

 

"So Sarah, what do you do?"  Justin asked her.  They were currently standing in the kitchen, taking the fourth round of Patron poured in an hour span.

 

Sarah, ever quick on her feet, avoided the shot glass that was carelessly placed on the counter and answered.

 

"I'm a banker."

 

"So your good with numbers?"

 

"I would say so, yes."

 

"That's cool.  You should look at these estimates I just received from the contractor.  I'm adding a new room to the back of the house.  I'd love to make sure all the money's accounted for."  He says slurred.

 

"I don't know.  I think your accountant would be better for that job.  And besides, you're in the middle of celebrating your big night."

 

"It'll only take a few minutes.  You don't mind do you Jace?"

 

"Not if she doesn't."  JC says from the piano across the room.  

 

One thing Sarah learned about Josh; if there's a piano, guitar, or any other instrument laying around, he would surely put it to good use.

 

"Tell you what Justin, my bank's not too far from here.  If you still want my help, you can come by around one.  We can grab some lunch then come back and crunch some numbers.  Cool?"

 

"It's a deal."  The two shake hands and Sarah gives Justin her business card.  With that, she strolls over to the piano where her date is while Justin goes back to check on his other guests.

 

 

 

The next day...still 2006

 

 

"Ms. Thompson, a Mr. Timberlake is here to see you."

 

"Thank you Alyssa.  Send him in."

 

Sarah stands from behind her desk to gather her things.  She was beyond starved so to say she was ready for this lunch meeting would be putting it lightly.

 

"Hey Sarah.  Thanks for squeezing me into your schedule today."  Justin says happily.  He reaches for her hand but instead of shaking it, he kisses it lightly. She's surprised by the gesture and by how incredibly soft his lips are but she doesn't let it show.

 

"You look mighty refreshed for a guy who had two parties (including the grand opening) last night."  Sarah hesitantly pulls her hand away and straightens her suit jacket.  

 

"It'll take more than a couple shots of Patron to keep me down.  You ready to go?"

 

"Yeah, where are we headed?"  She asked, walking out of the building.  Justin headed over to his car so she followed him.  They'd be coming back here anyway. No sense in taking two cars.

 

"I thought since you didn't get to come last night, I could show you the restaurant today.  If you don't mind barbecue that is."

 

"Love it, I'm starved."

 

 

The ride over to 'Southern Hospitality' was filled with light conversation with each one giving a short bio on themselves.  They get out of Justin's BMW deciding to take a table on the outdoor patio.  It's a nice enough day and Sarah wanted to enjoy it.  After a waitress came and took their drink and appetizer orders, they got down to business.

 

 

"So, how long have you and Josh been dating?"

 

"Five months but it's nothing serious."

 

"What do you mean nothing serious?  I've seen the way he looks at you.  It looks serious to me."

 

"That's because your friend is a sexbot.  We have a very strong physical connection, but we haven't had any discussions about becoming serious.  I wouldn't mind it though.  He's a great guy but for now, he's free to see whomever else he chooses and so am I."

 

Justin took a moment to digest what she said.  He'd never known Josh to be so casual with someone so beautiful but he guessed Josh was trying something different.  Still, he wanted to test her theory.

 

 

"So that means you wouldn't mind going out with me."

 

"Do you think that's a good idea?  I mean JC and I are casually dating but we are dating nonetheless.  I thought you guys were friends?"

 

"We are.  He's like my brother but I find you attractive and if it's not serious, I don't see the problem."

 

"I find you attractive as well.  But for our sake, I think we should just leave it at that."

 

 

Three hours later, Justin's house

 

 

Sarah screamed out in pleasure for what seemed like the umpteenth time.  She knew she felt the chemistry building between the two of them all day but this, (this being Justin's bed with her head buried in the pillow to muffle her cries) wasn't what she had in mind.

 

Oh boy...

 

 

End of Flashback, back to the party.

 

 

Justin

 

 

I arrive at Sarah and Jace's place an hour after the party started and I'm nervous. I decided that if Sarah wasn't going to tell Josh and Shayna the truth, I will.  I'm sick of being Uncle Justin.  She's my daughter and she should know.  

 

I walk into the backyard that's been transformed into some type of palace. Shayna's running around with a couple of her girls but she notices me and runs over to my table.

 

"Hi Uncle Justin.  I'm glad you come to my party.  You need a par-tee hat.  I'mma go get you one.  Stay here."  She says pointing to the seat to emphasize her point. She runs off, picks one up off of the table.  She comes back and snaps the hat on my head.  I cringe as the little rubber snaps under my chin.

 

"Uncle Justin, did you bring me a prewsent?"  She looks at me with wide eyed curiosity.  She reminds me so much of myself when I was her age.  Well, what I've seen in pictures.  I start to tell her I already put it on the gift table but the urge to tell her the truth overwhelms me so instead I say...

 

"I left it at my house on mistake.  You wanna come with me to grab it?"

 

"Yes, I love your house.  Big doggy's are fun!  But, won't my mommy be mad at us for leaving?"

 

"Tell you what monkey, I'll go tell your mommy and you go over to my car.  I'll be right there."

 

She squeals with excitement and takes off for my car.  I wait around a few minutes, say my hellos to a few folks, then walk over to the car.  

 

"Alright babygirl, you ready to go?"

 

"Yeah, I'm ready."

 

Without a second thought, we head off to my house.  I don't know how this'll go but she has to know the truth.  I just hope she believes it.

 

 

Sarah

 

I've been so busy keeping the kids out of the pool area that I've barely had a moment to myself, let alone with my honeybee.  Speaking of which, it's time for her to open her gifts.

 

"Shayna?  Come on baby, it's time to open your presents."  I look around for her but she's nowhere to be found.  Walking over to where JC's seated with Karen, Heather, Joey, Kelly, Tyler and Dana (Tyler's new girlfriend) I say hello to everyone before pulling Josh away from the table.

 

"Jace, have you seen Shayna?"

 

"Last time I saw her, she was by the hat table.  Why?"

 

"Because I don't see her.  I bet she went upstairs to show off her new dresses.  Will you please go and get your highness.  Let her know it's time to open her gifts."  He gives me a quick kiss and heads off into the house.  I call all the kids to the gift table when JC runs back downstairs frantically.  

 

"Shayna isn't upstairs."

 

'What do you mean?"

 

"I mean I looked all over the place and she's not in the house."

 

Now, as I will my heart to continue beating, I hurry around the backyard but don't see her.

 

As the realization hits me that she's missing, I fall to the floor.

 

 

I think I'm having a heart attack. 

     



 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story