I was trying to work but The Simpsons was on.

Resistance was futile.

I closed my excel spreadsheet and yielded, giving the television my full attention.

Resting my laptop on the shelf beneath my coffee table and settling back into my comfortable, snuggly sofa, my chuckling intensified now that I wasn’t missing any of little Ralph Wiggum’s nuggets of brilliance.

Bowser my cat was seated behind my head on the backrest of the sofa and Barney my dog was chewing a dried pig’s ear at my feet.

Work was chaos that day and it was almost a euphoric feeling to be home, on the couch with my “kids” around me drinking wine and watching silly cartoons.

I sighed and smiled to myself. A rainbow might as well have been outside of my window.

Only a night rainbow, with neon colors!

My iPhone honked with a text message on the coffee table beside me and I looked down at it, wondering who would be texting me.

Maybe it was him….

He had said he’d message me earlier that day, but I didn’t think he actually would!

My heart picked up a few BPM as I smiled and picked up my phone.

Oh my God.

I opened the message, my face falling as I read it.

Help? I have a girl here and she won’t leave!

“Argh!” I growled frustrated startling my kids a little as they looked at me as though to say “what the fuck?!”

My hopes had climbed so high thinking it was him, but then…

It was just the other him.

I threw my multicolor crochet blanket off my legs and sighed, stomping into my bedroom, pulling on some jeans and a sweater over my pajama top that I couldn’t be bothered changing out of.

I walked out into the hall, grabbed the keys off the key rack and headed out of the door into the apartment hallway.

He of course, lived in the penthouse, which couldn’t be accessed from my floor, so I had to go all the way downstairs into the street, press his apartment number into the intercom and them let him buzz me up to his floor. I was getting beyond tired of it.

In the elevator, heading down, my thoughts of how I was going to get his overstayed welcome visitor out of his apartment were interrupted by thoughts of how many different ways he annoyed me.

How irritated I was that I had to come to his rescue, every time one his dim witted conquests couldn’t take a hint and how he was too nice to spell it out for them.

Yeah.Sure. Too nice.

I arrived safely to the lower ground floor and exited the building, waiting for the security door to shut before I punched his apartment number into the intercom.

#3-2-7#

I waited. It was cold.

Hurry up ass hat. I was getting more annoyed each passing second.

“Hello?”

His voice crackled over the intercom. He was doing that “Oh I have company over and I have no idea who this is” voice.

“Hurry up,” I groaned rubbing my arms against the cold.

“Oh… hey…come on up.”

The security door buzzed and I rolled my eyes, letting myself back into the building and heading back over to the elevator.

The silver doors glided open and I waited for the little green light beside his floor number to light up allowing me access to his floor, before pressing it in.

On the way up, I still wasn’t entirely sure what emergency I would have to fake in order to push his “friend” out of the apartment.

I didn’t really care to be honest.

Maybe if I stumbled and did a terribly fake job and embarrassed the hell out of him, he’d stop interrupting my quiet nights on my sofa.

The elevator door opened on his floor and I stepped out into the landing.

God, even the entrance onto his floor annoyed me!

It was too nice for a dirt bag like him.

So cocky! So arrogant! So high and mighty!

I knocked on his door with a heavy fist and before I even knew what lie I was going to use, the door swung open and there Justin stood with a deeply concerned look on his face and a tall, slim, blonde behind him looking somewhat awkward.

“Are you alright?” He asked placing one of his large hands on my shoulder and taking my cue from him, I proceeded to hang my head down and start sobbing.

I don’t know where the tears came from, but when I lifted my head up again, my face was wet and distorted.

“I’m-I’’m sorry I didn’t know you had company,” I sobbed.

“Oh its fine, I was just leaving,” Barbie squeaked behind him.

“I’m sorry,” I hiccupped shaking my head as he pulled me inside and she stepped past me outside.

“I’ll call you,” she barely had time to tell him and before his door shut and I felt bad for her for a micro second and then reminded myself that it’s not like there was love lost between them.

“You’re getting good at this, where did these come from?” Justin asked me swiping a rough thumb over my wet cheek.

“I’ve had plenty of practice,” I replied flatly looking up at him annoyed and swiped his scratchy hand away from my face.

“How many times are you going to make me do this?”

“Last time, I promise,” he said crossing his heart and heading down his perfectly decorated hallway and into his kitchen as I followed, but I wasn’t at all convinced that this was the last time.

“Seriously, I’m not doing this anymore. You either grow a pair and kick them out yourself or buy the cow and have the sex you don’t have to kick out of your apartment afterwards.”

“Why are you crabby today are you on your period?” He asked with the smugness I had come to know and hate with the fire of a thousand suns, pulling two beers out of his refrigerator and offering me one.

I clenched my teeth inside my mouth and looked at the beer.

I thought of the wine I had already drunk. But the beer was imported, so I accepted it.

I snatched it off him and used the edge of his pristine marble bench to shell the cap.

We swigged a long sip of beer staring at each other as we did it.

He knew he annoyed me, and it didn’t bother him one bit ‘cause he liked me and could be his annoying self around me and I would know that underneath all that annoyingness was a guy with a good heart…somewhere…deep down…very deep down.

“This beer…it’s par,” I said.

I said it was mediocre because I knew he probably paid a down payment on an apartment for one case and it wasn’t any better than any other beer on the market.

“It’s imported from-“

“Japan, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, where the sun shines a little brighter than anywhere else in the world.”

“What the fuck Soph! Why are being such a raging bitch today?” He asked slamming his beer bottle down on the marble bench his light blue eyes turning into black holes of wrath.

“Did that dude you’re drooling over not call you back, ‘cause I can’t imagine why,” he said sarcastically hitting that one button that he knew would be the sorest point inside of me.

I stayed cool though.

I walked over to the sink and slowly began pouring that expensive bottle of Japanese beer down the sink.

I felt I didn’t need to say anything, I just stared right into his fiery eyes as I trickled the overrated alcohol down the drain.

He scoffed and shook his head.

“I am sorry I made you come out of your little crocheted Nirvana, I know you’re probably missing the smell of your flatulent animals, you can go now.”

I let the bottle slip from my fingers and into his sink with a loud crash.

“Next time you need a whore removed from your apartment, call someone else or better yet, you can go FUCK YOURSELF.” I wasn’t screaming at him so much as talking loudly up in his grill, as I then strode past him purposefully towards the door and let myself out with the heavy wooden door slamming loudly behind me.

I waited for the elevator and once inside the cabin, I was able to see on the mirrored wall just how red and irritated he made me.

I sighed and shook my head, but then quickly forgot about it, because tomorrow he would come down to ask me to watch a movie with him , we’d drink, we’d laugh, I’d go home and then the day after he would text me again to help him out of some other pickle he’d got himself into by being an asshole and we’d get back on the rollercoaster that was our relationship and do it all over again


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers celebrityj triangles